Dtxpress IV on rock band??

hunt0rhunt0r Unsigned
edited November 2012 in Rock Band
i know it's possible, im just a noob with electronic drums..
has anything done this? and can tell me how they changed the midi settings on the brain to correspond with RB/GH? thanks ~_~

Comments

• LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited April 2010
    Doc's Mods to the rescue!

I have a DTXpress IV myself and have very happily been using it to play Rock Band. Oh, and attempted actual drumming with it, too. It takes a fair amount of mapping (with all the different zones and such) but it's worth it in the end!
  • perpetual98perpetual98 Unsigned
    edited April 2010
    I'm using a DTXpress III for RB2 and it works great. I had to move the HH to a different "arm" of the kit because of cross-talk issues. I'm using the GH:WT brain (ebay) to control it. The only thing I don't get is cymbal sounds in fills. Everything is a tom, but they all chart correctly.
  • hunt0rhunt0r Unsigned
    edited April 2010
    can someone explain to me how they changed the settings on the yamaha brain to work on rock band/ guitar hero?? thats all i need ~_~
  • perpetual98perpetual98 Unsigned
    edited April 2010
    Use the link that LoopyChew provided earlier. It will get you pointed in the right direction.

http://docsrockbandmods.netforums.us/drum-mods-and-drum-gear-forums-guide-and-faq-vt749.html
  • dabrry0523dabrry0523 Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    if you wanted to spend a bit more money you could get a j5 here
  • KamianoKamiano Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    You need a GHWT drum controller. Use a MIDI cable to plug it in. Set up a new kit and place the MIDI notes to this.
    RED - MIDI Note 38
    YELLOW - MIDI Note 46
    BLUE - MIDI Note 48
    GREEN - MIDI Note 45
    ORANGE (GHWT only) - MIDI Note 49
    KICK - MIDI Note 36
  • hunt0rhunt0r Unsigned
    edited April 2010
    yea i got it plugged to my ghwt through midi... and i *think* im changing all my midi volumes to the right settings... i set the gain to 0 and the MV1 to the corresponding setting you gave me, right? (dont really know how to use the brain much yet :[ ) but nothing registers right, and the green doesn't work (trying guitar hero 5, dont have a kick box converter thing for rock band yet) can anyone lend a little advice please? thank you
  • wickedbadzwickedbadz Banned
    edited April 2010
    hunt0r;3637850 said:
    yea i got it plugged to my ghwt through midi... and i *think* im changing all my midi volumes to the right settings... i set the gain to 0 and the MV1 to the corresponding setting you gave me, right? (dont really know how to use the brain much yet :[ ) but nothing registers right, and the green doesn't work (trying guitar hero 5, dont have a kick box converter thing for rock band yet) can anyone lend a little advice please? thank you
    You have to adjust the MIDI notes, not the volumes, make a new kit call it RB and adjust the MIDI Notes as per the manual to those listed on here, you'll need to tweak the thresholds a little here and there but that's it and you're set. You don't need a kickbox convertor either, not sure who told you that but they are clueless.

Anyhow page 30 in your manual explains editing the MIDI notes, don't have the manual here it is:
    http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/emi/english/ssdrums/dtxp4_en_om_d0.pdf

I use the IV's and they are AWESOME! 0 issues.
  • KamianoKamiano Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    Out of curiosity, why did you set your gain to zero? Thats going to make the pads less sensitive. Only adjust gain if you have crosstalk.
  • hunt0rhunt0r Unsigned
    edited April 2010
    because im a noob >< wasn't sure what it did, but i got it now. thanks wickedbadz, i had no idea it showed how to adjust the midi note in the guide, i must've missed it somehow :] i got it working pretty good now tho
  • NobodyImportantNobodyImportant Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm trying to connect my DTXPress to GHWT and am encountering issues, and I'm hoping someone can help. I have a DTXPress III kit, ran the midi cable into the GHWT kit. Configured all the pads to output the proper midi notes. I got a constant stream of orange cymbal sounds in GH, though there was no cymbal sound output from the drum brain. I resolved this by setting the sequencer in the DTXPress brain to "External" rather than "Auto", and the constant stream of orange notes went away. However, it's still not playable. While the triggers activate the proper notes as I've set the midi properly, each trigger also occasionally activates an orange cymbal note in GHWT -- though again, there's no cymbal sound coming out of the drum brain, it's only in the midi. This isn't crosstalk, since it does this even with only 1 trigger plugged into the brain.

I even took the extreme step of buying a DTXPress IV brain and trying that in the place of the DTXPress III, thinking that I had a bad drum brain that was sending rogue signals. But with the new drum brain, I get the same behavior -- in fact, I can't even get the constant stream of orange cymbal to go away, as I can't even figure out how to turn off the automatic sequencer.

Please help, I'm completely frustrated and at my wit's end.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited November 2012
    Sounds to me like it could be the GHWT kit.
  • mikejl46mikejl46 Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    It is definitely the controller. I have dealt with many of these GHWT controllers and I have run into quite a few that did the exact same thing. There is a little circuit board inside the GHWT drum kit that is bad.