Rumors and Facts: RBN on the PS3 and Wii

Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
edited May 2010 in The Rock Band Network
In an effort to clarify questions about RBN coming out on the Wii and PS3, I'm going to start and try to keep up a Rumors and Facts thread about it. Anyone who has links, info, or corrections, please bring them to my attention so I can.

Key:
Fact: - Fact disclosed. Links will be provided when possible.
Rumor: - Rumor that has not been proven false.
Rumor (False): - Rumor that has been proven false.

Links will be provided when possible, and I'll go into more detail when needed/available. Again, any assistance with this is much appreciated.

RBN
  • Fact: As of March 4th, 2010, RBN is currently active on the 360
  • Fact: Music can be submitted to the 360 RBN using Microsoft's XNA licence and tools that are currently exclusive to the Microsoft 360 platform
  • Fact: Songs released on RBN have a 30 day exclusivity on the 360 before they could possibly appear elsewhere
  • Fact: HMX has stated that select tracks will be ported over to the other consoles when possible.
  • Fact: RBN is not compatible with RB1.
RBN on the PS3
  • Fact: PS3 version of RB2 was patched to put in a store front (per the official patch thread notes by HMXspraynwipe) for RBN. Direct quote: "When the Rock Band Network goes live, select songs will be available for PlayStation 3 users through a new storefront available in game."
  • Fact: Sony and the PSN does not have tools or a program similar to the XNA program with XBL currently in order to enable RBN development work to happen directly on the PS3/PSN.
  • Rumor: PS3 may have more robust RBN support with RB3. (RockBandAide.com)
  • Fact: The RBN page on RockBand.com only mentions select tracks possibly being available on the PS3.
  • Fact: The first RBN Tracks are due to hit the PS3 on 4/22 HMXHenry's announcement
  • Fact: PS3 RBN Releases will be limited to 5 songs every Thursday
  • Fact: PS3 RBN has previews, but no demos.
  • Fact: PS3 does allow rating the song. Play the song as a single though quick play, and you can rate it on the splash screen afterward.
From HMXHenry's announcement Thread
HMXHenry;3645512 said:
Hey gang,

We're thrilled to announce that tomorrow (Thursday 4/22) we'll see the first batch of Rock Band Network tracks hit the PS3! We've looked at the download numbers and the feedback on the forums and we've put together a selection of some of the most popular tracks for this initial group. Here's what's hitting the PS3 tomorrow:

Flogging Molly - Drunken Lullabies (Live)
Jonathan Coulton - Code Monkey
The Shins - Australia
The Slip - Even Rats
Steve Vai - For the Love of God (Live)

We're still going to keep any eye on the forum feedback to put together future releases on the PS3, and we'll continue to work with Sony to ensure that we're able to get as much content out as consistently as possible without disrupting the regular weekly RB DLC flow. We're still working on finding the best RBN solution for the Wii, which has it's own entirely different set of technical challenges, but we'll let you know as soon as we have more news.

You can turn your eyes down one post to get some additional info from RBN guru HMXjohnd. Thanks again to the all the PS3 RBN fans for your patience!
And:
HMXJohnD;3645516 said:
Hi Guys:

I just wanted to take a quick second to clarify how RBN tracks will be rolling out on the PS3. As HMXHenry just confirmed, we'll be launching 5 great tracks tomorrow from the RBN catalog in the PS3 RBN store. These tracks are awesome. Get excited.

Because of the way submissions work on PS3, we will only be able to release songs when we update the normal Rock Band DLC store (currently Thursdays). Furthermore, because of the way the submissions process works, we're currently capped at 5 songs per week. We're working hard to expand the number of songs we'll be able to do each week, but for now you can expect 5 songs a week, every week, plus your normal DLC releases.

We're using a few different criteria to pick these select tracks. The best selling tracks play into it, but we're also balancing that information with songs that we know are in demand from the core Rock Band users. Keep being (politely) vocal about what songs you want to bring over! We have a long lead time for submissions, but we'll continue to tweak what we bring over based on what we're hearing from you!

To be clear, the reason that we can update in real-time on Xbox 360 is because Rock Band Network on Xbox 360 is built on the XNA infrastructure that allows users to submit their own content, with the sales and distribution of those tracks managed by the XNA backend. That infrastructure doesn't exist on other platforms. We're looking into ways to bring as much stuff over as possible, but there are practical realities that aren't in our immediate control. We hope you understand.

I can only ask you to believe us when we say that we're limited in what we can currently do, but we want to bring as much music to you as possible. We're working on it and we hope you enjoy the songs we do bring in the meantime. We want your feedback, especially if the discussion is civil and informed.

Otherwise, Rock On!

HMXJohnD
Program Manager, Rock Band Network
Manager, Communications - HMX
RBN on the Wii
  • Fact: The Wii version can not be patched, making enabling RBN on the Wii more difficult.
  • Fact: Nintendo and the WiiShop does not have tools or a program similar to the XNA program with XBL currently in order to enable RBN development work to happen directly on the Wii.
  • Rumor: Wii RBN support not likely to happen any time soon (4/14) (RockBandAide.com)
  • Fact: The RBN page on RockBand.com only mentions "Select songs may also appear on PS3".
  • Fact: The RBN page on RockBand.com does not mention the Wii for track availability, but does mention the 360 and PS3.
From RockBandAide.com:
When can we expect the RBN on the PS3?

Good question. Harmonix REALLY wants to get the RBN on the PS3, despite what many people are saying. (In fact, I started by asking John “Why does Harmonix hate the PS3?” and we all had a good laugh… but I digress.) What it boils down to is the level of ease at which independent creators can submit tracks for the RBN between the Xbox 360 and PS3. For instance, on the PS3, each person who would submit a RBN track for the PS3 would have to be set up as a separate vendor! I’m not even talking about authors, I’m talking about submitters. And the process to set up vendors is much more difficult and cumbersome than getting someone set up on Xbox 360’s XNA Creator’s Club. The process as planned today is for 30 day exclusivity on the 360, followed by “select RBN DLC” making its way on to the PS3 and Nintendo Wii. I followed up with which “select DLC” make the cut, and it comes down to a number of different factors, including sales numbers, as well as things like diversity of genres and difficulties, as well as probable inclusion of some Harmonix bands.

The PS3 may see a more robust RBN coming out with inclusion in Rock Band 3, however (more on that later). Unfortunately for you RBN fans on the Wii, I wouldn’t hold your breath on seeing the RBN featured on the Wii anytime soon. First of all, I got the impression from John that there are a number of significant technological hurdles to overcome to get it working. Also, and this is from my own detective work (i.e. NOT from John), according to unofficial DLC leaderboard statistics on RockBandScores.com, the Wii only makes up about 3% of total DLC (not including RBN) purchases… in other words, cost vs. benefit wise, it’s probably not the wisest investment of resources for Harmonix.
Useful Links Disclaimer: I am not a mod, news reporter, or associated with HMX, RBN or RB in any way outside of being a fan and owning a PS3 and a Wii. This information is not official, but is attempting to be accurate. No animals were harmed in the making of this post.

Comments

• Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited April 2010
    List of Songs Available on the PS3 RBN:
    Added 4/22
    Flogging Molly - Drunken Lullabies (Live) - $.99
    Jonathan Coulton - Code Monkey - $1.99
    The Shins - Australia - $1.99
    The Slip - Even Rats - $1.99
    Steve Vai - For the Love of God (Live) - $1.99

Arrived 4/29 (US only, EU coming soon due to some error)
    Attack! Attack! - Stick Stickly ($1.99)
    Bang Camaro - Push Push (Lady Lightning) ($0.99)
    Five Finger Death Punch - Burn It Down ($1.99)
    Flight of the Conchords - Business Time ($1.99)
    Senses Fail - Lady In a Blue Dress ($1.99)

Due 5/4
    Band of Skulls - I Know What I Am ($1.99)
    Drowning Pool - Bodies ($1.99)
    Lacuna Coil - Survive ($1.99)
    Stroke 9 - Little Black Back Pack '09 ($1.99)
    Third Eye Blind - Semi-Charmed Life '09 ($1.99)
  • weirdphilweirdphil Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    An attempt to localize all RBN PS3/Wii conversations into one thread? Good Idea, but I don't know if the Will PS3 users get the RBN this Thursday? peeps will want to move all of a sudden. In any case, I'll be adding this thread to my list of existing RBN/PS3/Wii topics. :) Good luck.
    edited April 2010
    Posted a link here.

Lots of folks are missing info in that thread because it's buried. This might help.

I think I've got most everything that's out there right now.
  • weirdphilweirdphil Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    This is looking good. I''ll be sure to direct anymore random "what if" and "when is" topic over to this one.
  • tepidsharktepidshark Rising Star
    edited April 2010
    I thought I would add in the PS3/Wii RBN Request Thread into this as well. That is a thread where you can suggest what RBN songs you would like to see come to PS3/Wii.

Though to any would be posters in that thread please read the disclaimers first.
    edited April 2010
    tepidshark;3644912 said:
    I thought I would add in the PS3/Wii RBN Request Thread into this as well. That is a thread where you can suggest what RBN songs you would like to see come to PS3/Wii.

Though to any would be posters in that thread please read the disclaimers first.
    It's noted :)
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited April 2010
    This is a good idea, thanks for putting it up.

There are a couple of slight innaccuracies in there, I'll try to help out.
    Bront20;3644865 said:
    [*]Fact: As of March 1st, 2010, RBN is currently active on the 360
    It went live on March 4th.
    [*]Fact: PS3 version of RB2 has been patched to accept RBN in some form (Another patch may still be required if/when RBN goes live on the PS3)
    The patch put in a store front (per the official patch thread notes by HMXspraynwipe) for RBN. Direct quote: "When the Rock Band Network goes live, select songs will be available for PlayStation 3 users through a new storefront available in game. Stay tuned for more information closer to the launch of RBN!"
    No animals were harmed in the making of this post.
    You know what you did. :)
  • MrHartgraveMrHartgrave Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    Great thread, this will be a good place for PS3 users to let HMX know that we would LOVE to have the RBN...also, has anyone else noticed what happens on Facebook when Rock Band posts something about the RBN? Man, PS3 users are POed :P
  • RockBandAideRockBandAide Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for the reference above!

As a Rock Band'er on both the 360 and the PS3, I do hope the playing field is leveled with respect to the RBN on the PS3 at some point, but I understand that there are some serious hurdles to overcome to get this working. Based on the way Sony's PSN is set up, unless they change things, I don't think the RBN will ever be as streamlined and efficient as it is on the 360, unfortunately.
  • Nick360Nick360 Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    Did I misunderstand what the guy was saying, or is he stating that the Wii doesn't matter because DLC has the lowest sales on Wii? I understand that it's not much, but come on now. There are still quite some Wii players today that buy DLC. I would understand if the best songs got like only 100 downloads, but this is ridiculous. This is why I didn't like the Rock Band series back when Guitar Hero used to rock, because HMX always screws Nintendo over. Is that a problem? Yes, because the Wii and DS are on their way to be the best selling systems of all time.
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited April 2010
    Your first post now requires a bit of a major rewrite. :)
  • edited April 2010
    Nick360;3645686 said:
    Did I misunderstand what the guy was saying, or is he stating that the Wii doesn't matter because DLC has the lowest sales on Wii? I understand that it's not much, but come on now. There are still quite some Wii players today that buy DLC. I would understand if the best songs got like only 100 downloads, but this is ridiculous. This is why I didn't like the Rock Band series back when Guitar Hero used to rock, because HMX always screws Nintendo over. Is that a problem? Yes, because the Wii and DS are on their way to be the best selling systems of all time.
    The '3%' comment about Wii DLC is from the interviewer, not from HMX' John Drake.

The official word from HMXHenry on the Wii situation is this:
    HMXHenry;3645512 said:
    We're still working on finding the best RBN solution for the Wii, which has it's own entirely different set of technical challenges, but we'll let you know as soon as we have more news.
    So no, the Wii certainly isn't irrelevant or 'left behind', but I can imagine that the limited online infrastructure combined with Nintendo's DLC approval process provides its own challenges.
  • Nick360Nick360 Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    Ahh, I though so. Sorry about my earlier post. I can't imagine to see a game developer be biased against certain consoles, that would just be rude.

I hope to at least see some RBN songs on the Wii soon. Actually, that's all I will ask for, I'm not into submitting songs so just getting select tracks would be great already.
    edited April 2010
    bigmf;3645220 said:

It went live on March 4th.
    Noted. 1 and 4 can look the same when you're in a hurry.
    bigmf;3645220 said:
    The patch put in a store front (per the official patch thread notes by HMXspraynwipe) for RBN. Direct quote: "When the Rock Band Network goes live, select songs will be available for PlayStation 3 users through a new storefront available in game. Stay tuned for more information closer to the launch of RBN!"
    That's what I was looking for. Thanks.
    RockBandAide;3645337 said:
    Thanks for the reference above!

As a Rock Band'er on both the 360 and the PS3, I do hope the playing field is leveled with respect to the RBN on the PS3 at some point, but I understand that there are some serious hurdles to overcome to get this working. Based on the way Sony's PSN is set up, unless they change things, I don't think the RBN will ever be as streamlined and efficient as it is on the 360, unfortunately.
    I listed it as a rumor, if only because you couldn't provide direct quotes. It confirms a lot of what I suspected though, and seems logical. Hopefully it'll be confirmed soon enough (or PS3 RBN will just start up, which takes care of 50% of the equation).
    Nick360;3645686 said:
    Financially speaking, the Wii RBN is problematic because it looks to require the most work to get running, requires working with the developer that seems least likely to be helpful since it's not an in-house project, and financially speaking, offers the least financial reward for all the work anyway (for numerous reasons, not the least of which is the SD Card limit issue). HMX isn't totally at fault for many of the issues the Wii folks face, but the reality is that the Wii version sells less DLC (and appears to sell less in general) than the other two platforms by a significant number, and it might play into how much effort HMX puts into getting RBN on the Wii.

(Comments were by the interviewer by my understanding. The link is in my post).
    bigmf;3645694 said:
    Your first post now requires a bit of a major rewrite. :)
    I fixed things folks noted. Did new break today? (I'm a US user that works nights, so I don't check the forums during the day).

*goes off to check*

Edit: Yes, indeed it does :)
  • jwebb1970jwebb1970 Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    I would not be surprised if RBN on Wii doesn't happen until RB3. If nothing else, that game will not have such small storage limits (SDHC, you know).
  • nicko68nicko68 Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    Nick360;3645686 said:
    Did I misunderstand what the guy was saying, or is he stating that the Wii doesn't matter because DLC has the lowest sales on Wii? I understand that it's not much, but come on now. There are still quite some Wii players today that buy DLC.
    Like me. I have bought over 800 tracks so far.
  • nicko68nicko68 Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    jwebb1970;3647489 said:
    I would not be surprised if RBN on Wii doesn't happen until RB3. If nothing else, that game will not have such small storage limits (SDHC, you know).
    That would be ok considering we know it's coming out this fall now. The only thing is I will go broke playing catchup like I did with the original DLC. :)
  • jwebb1970jwebb1970 Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    nicko68;3647504 said:
    Like me. I have bought over 800 tracks so far.
    You have me beat! But I did just manage to cram my 189th track onto one of those non-SDHC 4GB cards 2 nights ago. And I have bought EVERY Beatles track so far.

Beyond RBN, I also hope RB3 Wii is BW compatible w/ RB2 DLC (I think this is for sure). And tack on the hopes for pack purchases & importation while we are at it!
    edited April 2010
    Good for you Wii folks. I went PS3 and sold the Wii stuff to a friend. I'd wanted a PS3 for other stuff though. Sadly, folks with more than 100 DLC are rare, and since you can't have access to it all at the same time anyway, it makes matchmaking with DLC even harder than on the other consoles. SDHC support will be a welcome addition to the Wii.
    jwebb1970;3647526 said:
    Beyond RBN, I also hope RB3 Wii is BW compatible w/ RB2 DLC (I think this is for sure). And tack on the hopes for pack purchases & importation while we are at it!
    I'd be more worried about backwards compatibility of new DLC with RB2. On PS3 and 360, they can patch, but the Wii can't. Kinda forces you to upgrade, though I think other features will force that anyway.

Anyway, I'm adding a bit more info to the PS3 part of this. RBN on the PS3 does not have a Demo or Preview option, so we can't listen or try songs out before hand. Not sure if that will be fixed or not.
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    I wouldn't be suprised if we at least get more than just select RBN tracks starting with RB3. Hopefully that proves to be more than just a rumor.
    edited April 2010
    hiimSMAP;3648297 said:
    I wouldn't be suprised if we at least get more than just select RBN tracks starting with RB3. Hopefully that proves to be more than just a rumor.
    It still may not be everything with RB3. However, RB3 may allow a way to actually do some creating, meaning the PS3 might get some content first.

Not being a code monkey, I don't know, and can only speculate. My guess would be that it will simply ease moving things over, allowing for stuff to come over faster, but we won't know till it happens.
    edited April 2010
    Updated with this week's coming RBN tracks. Hopefully Demos/Previews will be fixed this week.

Still hoping for more clear cut Wii RBN news.
  • GranndGrannd Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    Great thread!
    # Fact: PS3 RBN Releases will be limited to 5 songs every Thursday
    You could add that (as HMXHenry said in your quote in the first post) the number of songs every week will most likely expand in the future.
    we're currently capped at 5 songs per week. We're working hard to expand the number of songs we'll be able to do each week, but for now you can expect 5 songs a week, every week, plus your normal DLC releases.
    edited April 2010
    Grannd;3657456 said:
    Great thread!

You could add that (as HMXHenry said in your quote in the first post) the number of songs every week will most likely expand in the future.
    That's JohnD, not Henry. And until it happens, I'm going to leave it out of the facts, as it's a "we're hoping to" thing.

I will have to update Thursday to Tuesday next week though.
    edited May 2010
    A few updates. Mostly a correction about rating, mentioning that previews are a "yet", and added this coming week's RBN songs.
    edited May 2010
    EU store has previews. US still doesn't apparently. (Confirmed though forum members).
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited May 2010
    Bront20;3648421 said:
    It still may not be everything with RB3. However, RB3 may allow a way to actually do some creating, meaning the PS3 might get some content first.
    If PS3 gets Black Metal content first then I will be one very happy man
    edited May 2010
    darkwinterbeast8;3673285 said:
    If PS3 gets Black Metal content first then I will be one very happy man
    Take my "May" as "It's possible, but unlikely". Biggest problem is Sony's PSN setup, and RB3 can't fix that completely.

I think Sony wants to play ball here though, as it's a chunk of change in their pocket if they can.