Les Paul

newwaytodienewwaytodie Road Warrior
edited August 2007 in History of Rock
I watched a documentary today on PBS (zomg! non-profit tv ftw!!) about Les Paul. It was amazing and I reccomend that all of you watch it. You have no right to be on this forum or even claim to know anything about rock unless you know and respect Les Paul. He's a genius.

Comments

• no_direction_homeno_direction_home Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    i'll have to find a copy of that documentary on the inter web sounds interesting
  • battle_axe_of_doombattle_axe_of_doom Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    MUSICAL GENIUS END OF DISCUSSION

les paul, tr00ly a musical genius............ along with zappa and the beatles :D
  • TylerSalakTylerSalak Unsigned
    edited August 2007
    i think les paul is one of the greatest guitar players ever i was watching him on youtube and i almost crapped my pants.
    he makes a great guitar too.
  • ConsoleCoWBoYConsoleCoWBoY Unsigned
    edited August 2007
    When I talk to people about music and they say, this band or that singer created what rock is, or that they created electrics, I always tell them: No! Les Paul did that! =)

Les Paul = Genuine Genius!
  • skanarchyskanarchy Unsigned
    edited August 2007
    Les Paul is awesome! I love his guitars. Gibson Les Pauls are the best guitars you can ever get, hands down! The best have wielded it. that's a reason why i give GH3 props because they made Les Paul style controllers. Instead of this games crappy Fenders. I hate Fender guitars! Everybody gets them! Poor kids get squires and semi-poor kids get Stratocasters, its anoying to see. Only a handful of great guitarists have used strats.
  • newwaytodienewwaytodie Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    If you're going to play an electric solid body guitar, play one from the man who invented them.
  • Tomahawk214Tomahawk214 Unsigned
    edited August 2007
    While Les Paul was a genius, and the guitars with the same name are great too, I just find that the SG gives a better sound, and it's easier for me to play.

Also, don't say Fender's are crap, because when you have greats like Jimi and Clapton that used one, you are blind. The Strat is iconic to rock and was used by the people that started rock, along with the Tele.
    edited August 2007
    Tomahawk214;37944 said:
    While Les Paul was a genius, and the guitars with the same name are great too, I just find that the SG gives a better sound, and it's easier for me to play.

Also, don't say Fender's are crap, because when you have greats like Jimi and Clapton that used one, you are blind. The Strat is iconic to rock and was used by the people that started rock, along with the Tele.
    And when you have the greatest that have used Gibsons such as Jimmy Page, Joe Perry, Zakk Wylde, Angus Young, Slash, and many many others, it's MUCH more "iconic" than Fender ever was and will ever be. And if i was "blind" i would have said something like "nobody great ever used them". Instead i said "only a handful of great guitarists have used them" which includes the two names you listed. DEE DEE DEE! The only person i admire that used a Stratocaster was Jake E. Lee, because he could wail faces off.
    edited August 2007
    how about david glimour, ritchie blackmore, jeff beck, frank zappa, stevie ray vaughn, etc etc etc

fact is both are great guitars but saying the strat only had a handful of great greatists using them is just plain ol' ridiculous.
    edited August 2007
    battle_axe_of_doom;38155 said:
    how about david glimour, ritchie blackmore, jeff beck, frank zappa, stevie ray vaughn, etc etc etc

fact is both are great guitars but saying the strat only had a handful of great greatists using them is just plain ol' ridiculous.
    i understand what you're saying but those names aren't exactly commonly said legends. i bet you if you put those names through a bunch of people none of them would recognize them. Besides the great guitarists, most Fenders are bought for how cheap you can get them. ALL Gibsons are top notch high quality pieces of equipment. Their guitars cost at least a grand. Plus seeing Fenders sold at Target and Wal-Mart is just absolutely hilarious. :D
    edited August 2007
    lmao are you retarded?? about 100% of the world knows who david gilmour, blackmore, srv are if they are any self-respecting "guitar fans"
  • newwaytodienewwaytodie Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    Please people, this thread was supposed to be about Les Paul. I don't give a rat's ass if you like fender.