By-pass PSN Store?

Korban7Korban7 Unsigned
edited April 2010 in The Rock Band Network
There may be technicalities that prevent this, but ...

It seems to me the limitation comes from the PSN Store and how quickly you are allowed to place content there. It can't be just distribution of the content, because games like Little Big Planet have tons and tons of user made content available for download but the advantage they have is it's all free so no need for the store.

So ... instead of putting all the RBN songs on the store, why not just put in one item where you can buy some RBN credit (or perhaps several items at different denominations) and then you can use that credit to purchase RBN songs?

Just a thought ... hope it's not too dumb of one :).

Comments

• vedisvedis Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    unfortunately, doesnt work that way
  • Korban7Korban7 Unsigned
    edited April 2010
    I know it doesn't ... but could it?

Games like Little Big Planet have no problem pushing large amounts of content to users, so distribution it seems is not the issue, only payment.
    edited April 2010
    using cash to purchase, or some kind of credit, doesnt matter

the cost of the songs is still the cost of the songs, payment is still an issue

just cuz its not literal cash being used doesnt mean its free
    edited April 2010
    So you buy credit from the PSN Store instead of buying the individual songs from the store. You could then log in to RB2 and "purchase'" songs with your credit without going to the PSN Store.

You're still paying, and harmonix still knows what you bought so everybody can be appropriately compensated.
  • YoulikeyamsYoulikeyams Unsigned
    edited April 2010
    Sony's way of offering content is fixed, and they probably won't step aside for something like this.

RBN is possible because of the XNA platform and as a result the way it operates on the 360 is only possible on the 360.

Us PS3 owners just have to accept that.
    edited April 2010
    Well ... actually I think what I'm suggesting would be possible, but it would require a lot more infrastructure development from HMX than the current system, which in turn would mean it would take a lot longer to get to us.

I can live with the current system, I'm just kind of throwing out some thoughts I had while thinking about RBN and how some other games handle downloadable content on the PS3 without going through the playstation store.
    edited April 2010
    Korban7;3662817 said:
    So you buy credit from the PSN Store instead of buying the individual songs from the store. You could then log in to RB2 and "purchase'" songs with your credit without going to the PSN Store.

You're still paying, and harmonix still knows what you bought so everybody can be appropriately compensated.
    See, i dont understand what the point of this would even be

it doesnt change the fact you are still paying for songs

it doesnt make it easier to do so, or change how it is done at all

if anything, you are asking them to try and complicate the process
    edited April 2010
    vedis, sorry I guess I didn't explain it well enough.

Right now you purchase the songs off the playstation store. You can browse through them in the game, but when you go to purchase it takes you to the store.

My thought was instead of doing that you purchase RBN credit (or points if you prefer) from the store, and then you purchase the songs directly through the game (using the credit/points) without going through the store.

That way there shouldn't need to be any limitation on the number of songs made available because the songs themselves are not on the store.

This would be a major undertaking to setup (I think) because the current system of downloading is very similar to regular DLC, and this would be completely different, but perhaps rock band 3 might work in a way like this.
    edited April 2010
    Korban7;3662929 said:
    vedis, sorry I guess I didn't explain it well enough.

Right now you purchase the songs off the playstation store.

My thought was instead of doing that you purchase RBN credit (or points if you prefer) from the store, and then you purchase the songs directly through the game (using the credit/points) without going through the store.

That way there shouldn't need to be any limitation on the number of songs made available because the songs themselves are not on the store.
    i hate to tell you, but they in fact, would still be "in the store"

right now, you are describing what Microsoft does with the xbox 360 marketplace

and the ability to sell the songs(or rather how they are sold) isnt whats causing them to come over slowly for RBN

what you are proposing here, wouldnt change a thing except to make people more frustrated with how to deal with PSN for buying songs
    edited April 2010
    Then I guess I'm not understanding something.

I see games like Little Big Planet and I believe ModNation Racers will work in a similar way with large amounts of downloadable user made content available to download, and that content IS NOT on the playstation store (except for the ones you do have to pay for like the metal gear solid pack). I could go in right now, publish a level and you could download and play it right away.

So I think to myself, why can't RBN do that? The only answer I can see is that they need compensation for the artists ... is there another answer I'm missing?
    edited April 2010
    Korban7;3662973 said:
    Then I guess I'm not understanding something.

I see games like Little Big Planet and I believe ModNation Racers will work in a similar way with large amounts of downloadable user made content available to download, and that content IS NOT on the playstation store (except for the ones you do have to pay for like the metal gear solid pack). I could go in right now, publish a level and you could download and play it right away.

So I think to myself, why can't RBN do that? The only answer I can see is that they need compensation for the artists ... is there another answer I'm missing?
    the difference is they are user made FREE content compared to content that requires payment

changing the method of payment doesnt change the fact something mys be bought, and therefore must be in the store.
    cash, credit, check, points, whatever you want to call it, is still a form of payment
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited April 2010
    It'll be interesting to see how HMX get the "more robust" solution for PS3 RBN on or around Rockband 3. I suppose it's possible that they use their own servers, payments etc. I would guess if that were to be the case that you would have to pay HMX directly for songs, unrelated to your PSN money. I don't know how Sony might go for the idea of DLC that doesn't go through their Q&A. They probably wouldn't like it much, as any executable code for the PS3 could pose a danger.

It's probably too early to speculate on how they will handle their more robust offering or whatever it was called, as there's just not enough insight into the inner workings of either Sony or HMX.

Besides, this type of speculation is guaranteed to create anger.
    edited April 2010
    bigmf, yeah, that's what I'm trying to say :). The stuff about buying credit on the playstation store is just an idea for a convenient way to pay HMX.

If Sony does not allow that it seems hypocritical as every user created level on LBP doesn't go through any Q&A, and RBN at least has it's own Q&A before it gets to people.
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited April 2010
    Korban7;3663001 said:
    bigmf, yeah, that's what I'm trying to say :). The stuff about buying credit on the playstation store is just an idea for a convenient way to pay HMX.

If Sony does not allow that it seems hypocritical as every user created level on LBP doesn't go through any Q&A, and RBN at least has it's own Q&A before it gets to people.
    LBP levels were created by the game, and the whole game went through Q&A. RBN songs are created outside of the game by another program. That's where it would get sticky. But all of this is just me guessing.
  • YoulikeyamsYoulikeyams Unsigned
    edited April 2010
    Games with custom content such as LBP and such handle downloads in a different way from Store processes.

When you download a level in LBP there's algorithms that are pulling a file from the PSN servers and immediately loading it in your game without accessing the store. Because RBN songs are purchasable content the process must be handled by the PlayStation Store.

When you buy a RBN song on the 360 it's handled by the XNA platform, but still goes through the LIVE Marketplace. Like it or not, you're still dealing with proprietary stores no matter what platform you're on.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited April 2010
    The user-created content in the games you're talking about (Little Big Planet, ModNation Racers) is all made within the game, as far as I know. It doesn't have to go through the store because the building blocks are all on the disk, so that type of "downloadable content" ultimate has more in common with seeing your bandmate's custom character when playing online than it does with downloading a commercial song.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited April 2010
    I think what the OP is suggesting is an overlaid version of the PSN wallet, which would in effect be an "RBN wallet." Basically, on the PSN store, you'd buy X amount of money for your RBN wallet. This way, HMX can release DLC outside of the PSN framework much in the same way games with UGC do, and they can deduct from the RBN wallet instead of your PSN wallet.

I actually kinda like the idea, but agree it would mean a lot more work on HMX's side. Besides, I have no idea how they'd ACTUALLY implement an RBN wallet, because it would most likely require that HMX actively keep track of wallet amounts on their side, and notification from PSN that HMX needs to increase the user's RBN wallet amount by X amount of money and ow my head.

EDIT: Not to mention, lack of RBN download history unless HMX wants to track that as well, and I don't know if you'd be able to exploit PSN download histories and just "redownload" your purchase of X amount of money to go into the RBN wallet. Heck, I don't know if you can even repurchase the same item repeatedly on the PSN, which would prevent the whole "wallet" idea in the first place.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited April 2010
    Korban7;3662805 said:
    I know it doesn't ... but could it?
    No, as it'd make scheduling payment to the correct folks a nightmare.
    edited April 2010
    LoopyChew, good points in your edit.

Well, hopefully we get something but for now the 5/week is pretty good all things considered. We just get the cream for now and have to wait a little longer for the milk :).