What classifies a song as a Family Friendly Song?

CreamCrazyCreamCrazy Opening Act
edited June 2010 in LEGO: Rock Band
I've been pondering this for quite a while... what does a song have to have, to call it a family friendly song?

Comments

  • DrowGamer77DrowGamer77 Serious Business
    edited April 2010
    I've been wondering the same - That "Suddenly I See" song has the word "hell" in it about 10 times, but it gets the green light.
    But all kinds of other selections get the boot for some reason...
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited April 2010
    I think it falls under the Pornography rule. "I don't know what to call it, but I'll know it when I see it."

    Generally, my impression is that it can't talk about drinking, smoking, gambling, sex, drugs, promote criminal activity, or use profanity (which has a somewhat sliding scale depending on who you ask and how it's used). Religious references also seem to be a stickler.

    Basically, as long as it doesn't have any substance to it, it's family friendly :) (I kid)
  • exploderexploder Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    anything metal=out basically (just kidding)
    although I wish more megadeth would pass the filter,I mean seriously five magics isn't allowed but a creepy sounding song about the atmosphere being completely destroyed by polllution and people having to live underground like moles(dawn patrol) is allowed?

    seven nation army should have been allowed
  • robbieconrobbiecon Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    seven nation army should have been allowed I agree.
  • Invader TAKInvader TAK Unsigned
    edited May 2010
    I'm surprised Caprici Di Diablo isn't allowed. I mean, it's a freaking instrumental! Only thing I can figure is the name. But other than that, no problems. (Keep in mind this is based on what the songlist on the site shows, and I understand it has errors.)
  • Edify1Edify1 Rising Star
    edited May 2010
    Bront20;3664211 said:
    I think it falls under the Pornography rule. "I don't know what to call it, but I'll know it when I see it."

    Generally, my impression is that it can't talk about drinking, smoking, gambling, sex, drugs, promote criminal activity, or use profanity (which has a somewhat sliding scale depending on who you ask and how it's used). Religious references also seem to be a stickler.

    Basically, as long as it doesn't have any substance to it, it's family friendly :) (I kid)
    Well, regarding religious references...there was that list Harmonix had that lists the words God and Jesus as words that would not let it through in Lego Rock Band. Yet Free Fallin' by Tom Petty talks about a girl who loves Jesus. So I think maybe the on-disc songs are a little looser on the family friendly rules.
  • fatalfiend37fatalfiend37 Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
  • exploderexploder Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    I'm suprised I stand alone was alowwed mostly because of the bands's name
  • camautobotcamautobot Unsigned
    edited May 2010
    I am a christian and think It sticks that I can't download some of the christian bands.
    But yet I can download a PaPa Roch song?!?!?!?
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited May 2010
    Whatever HMX thinks. They don't make good judgement sometimes.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    Rockbandfan23467;3717694 said:
    Whatever HMX thinks. They don't make good judgement sometimes.
    T.N.T. is family friendly:)
  • MikachuMikachu Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    camautobot;3717368 said:
    I am a christian and think It sticks that I can't download some of the christian bands.
    But yet I can download a PaPa Roch song?!?!?!?
    What's wrong with Papa Roach?
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited May 2010
    Mikachu;3720379 said:
    What's wrong with Papa Roach?
    You mean the one about suicide?
  • MikachuMikachu Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    Bront20;3720855 said:
    You mean the one about suicide?
    I can understand Last Resort, but what about the other two? I haven't heard one of them, but I know for a fact the other is okay.

    (Is Last Resort playable in Lego?)
  • leob5622leob5622 Opening Act
    edited May 2010
    exploder;3665644 said:
    anything metal=out basically (just kidding)
    although I wish more megadeth would pass the filter,I mean seriously five magics isn't allowed but a creepy sounding song about the atmosphere being completely destroyed by polllution and people having to live underground like moles(dawn patrol) is allowed?

    seven nation army should have been allowed
    robbiecon;3665770 said:
    seven nation army should have been allowed I agree.
    "Back and forth through my mind behind a cigarette"
    "....bleeding right before the Lord"

    If you follow Bront 20's reasoning.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    "
    It's cryin', bleedin', lying on the floor
    So you lay down on it and you do it some more
    You've got to share it, so you dare it
    Then you bare it and you tear it
    "

    That song is rated FF and playable in Lego. :confused:
  • GameMaster439GameMaster439 Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    I'm kinda shocked that Two Weeks made it. And that's a great question, I've wondered that once I heard only Family Friendly songs can be play in L:RB.
  • LindeusLindeus Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    The issue that everyone seems to be ignoring is that they've taken it upon themselves to do our parenting for us. Rather than give us a parental controls section where we could flag or unflag safe songs, they've put some blanketing, thoughtless filter in place.

    If my son's favorite song to sing is 21 Guns, it should be my decision to let him sing it, not anybody else's. Do you know how much it sucks to buy a game for your kids only to realize that the one song the little guy wanted to sing is on the black list?

    How about a simple "Downloaded Songs are not rated by the ESRB"?
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited June 2010
    Lindeus;3748126 said:
    How about a simple "Downloaded Songs are not rated by the ESRB"?
    Then the game doesn't get an E-10 rating, that's why.

    The game needed to filter songs automatically, or else the games rating would have been higher. And for a game that would interface with known DLC, simply saying "it's not rated" wouldn't fly well with the ESRB.

    RB3 may have a controllable filter of some kind, who knows.
  • fatalfiend37fatalfiend37 Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    I lol'd when Feels Like The First Time by Foreigner passed through the filter.
  • TheWii60RockerTheWii60Rocker Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    i am not sure anymore. ALL rock band 2 songs got the SR rating. i think harmonix was trying to take the easy way out by improperly rating all rock band 2 songs so they dont have to export the songs.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    TheWii60Rocker;3778223 said:
    i am not sure anymore. ALL rock band 2 songs got the SR rating. i think harmonix was trying to take the easy way out by improperly rating all rock band 2 songs so they dont have to export the songs.
    Rock Band 2 will export when Rock Band 3 comes out, and will be rated then
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited June 2010
    TubaDude49;3779156 said:
    Rock Band 2 will export when Rock Band 3 comes out, and will be rated then
    Has this been confirmed? It's possible they may not be, or they may export in such a way that LRB and RB1 can't read them.
Sign In or Register to comment.