RBN drum overdrive issue

SideshowNSideshowN Rising Star
edited May 2010 in The Rock Band Network
I've noticed a few RBN songs where I would finish the song on expert drums and still have over half the meter of overdrive remaining. This is not due to me missing an activation but rather there not being an activation at all. I first noticed this in the Silverstein American Dream song but the new version may have fixed it. I need to pen and paper songs that do this for now on to bring attention to the community. I've played so many RBN songs its hard for me to remember all of them that do this but just wanted to hear if anybody else noticed stuff like this in playtest? I dont believe this issue occurs in regular DLC songs.

Comments

• GeneralGilliamGeneralGilliam Opening Act
    edited May 2010
    Yea, that's definitely not supposed to happen. Document down any cases of that that you find, and be sure to bring it up in the review.
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    The Silverstein song was pulled because of the drum overdrive issue (there also isn't an opportunity to activate for the first time until a long time into the song.)
  • SideshowNSideshowN Rising Star
    edited May 2010
    I know off the top of my head that the Flogging Molly song Drunken Lullabies has a issue on vocals where you will have a full meter of overdrive saved near the middle of the song and a activation doesnt pop up till later in the song. I will jot down the drum songs that have this issue and post them here when possible. I'm not a XNA member as of yet cause my full time job takes up most of my time.
  • KariodudeKariodude Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    The vocal issue is a tough one. For some songs it's just impossible to have enough space between phrases for an activation.

For drums on the other hand, there's no excuse. You can put an activation anywhere you want in the song.
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    Kariodude;3671004 said:
    The vocal issue is a tough one. For some songs it's just impossible to have enough space between phrases for an activation.

For drums on the other hand, there's no excuse. You can put an activation anywhere you want in the song.
    I seem to recall there's on-disc songs with the vocals problem. But drums, you're right. I've failed out songs that didn't have enough activations, and I mean they went about 16 measures without an activation. (The suggested standard is 4 measures between.) But if you're not a drummer primarily, it's easy to forget about that and let it slip.
    edited May 2010
    Tumbledown - Homeward Bound
    All That Remains - Undone
    Bornholm - Where the Light Was Born (Thule Ultima A Sole Nomen Habens)

I played these songs with a fullband last night and noticed no activation near the end for the drummer. Keep in mind that I tend to use overdrive on drums as soon as an activation is present so I'm not saving up for future activations. I dont like to skip activations unless there is a drought of 2 or more instruments for a section. I also tend to get at least 98% on most expert drum songs with exception to a bunch of the impossible and nightmare tierd songs. I'm getting all the overdrive notes that are offered. I'm going to play again tonight so I should find some more songs that do this.
  • Edify1Edify1 Rising Star
    edited May 2010
    I'm not a drummer primarily, but I will keep an eye out for this. Also, if a song makes it to the RBN in-game store, can it be pulled for reason of missing the drum activations, or are we stuck with it as-is? If we're stuck with it, then I won't be of any help because I just can't afford an XNA membership subscription.

I ask because I seem to remember that early on a few songs were pulled from the in-game store then returned due to some issue.
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    Edify1;3672798 said:
    I'm not a drummer primarily, but I will keep an eye out for this. Also, if a song makes it to the RBN in-game store, can it be pulled for reason of missing the drum activations, or are we stuck with it as-is? If we're stuck with it, then I won't be of any help because I just can't afford an XNA membership subscription.

I ask because I seem to remember that early on a few songs were pulled from the in-game store then returned due to some issue.
    No, they can't be fixed.
  • Casto21Casto21 Rock and Roll Statistician
    edited May 2010
    First: No, once a song has made it to the store it cannot be patched. It technically can be pulled, but the new version would have to be repurchased making it very unlikely that it will happen.

Second: I don't see the extra OD at the end as an issue. It can be an annoyance to some, but I don't see it as a failing offense. It does not break anything about the song.

Third: Just because the straight forward path (taking OD every time you get it) leaves you with 1/2 OD doesn't mean there isn't a run that would use it up. Not to mention that unison ODs complicate the process too.
  • Edify1Edify1 Rising Star
    edited May 2010
    Okay.

It's not really an issue for me because what I really care about is accuracy of the charts. There are times I even forget to use overdrive when I'm playing guitar. lol
    edited May 2010
    I FC'd The Main Drag Swine Houses and I ended up with a half bar of overdrive.

Castro has brought a good point that this overdrive issue doesnt break the song in any way. Its just makes the drummer look like they didnt care to activate star power at the end of the song. Its just mere polish. Not in any way will it effect a person trying to gold star a song. As I said earlier I only brought this up because I rarely ever saw this happen in a regular DLC song so it was easy to spot out happening quite often in RBN songs.
  • BookerBooker Rising Star
    edited May 2010
    SideshowN;3673016 said:
    I FC'd The Main Drag Swine Houses and I ended up with a half bar of overdrive.

Castro has brought a good point that this overdrive issue doesnt break the song in any way. Its just makes the drummer look like they didnt care to activate star power at the end of the song. Its just mere polish. Not in any way will it effect a person trying to gold star a song. As I said earlier I only brought this up because I rarely ever saw this happen in a regular DLC song so it was easy to spot out happening quite often in RBN songs.
    Finishing a song with a quarter bar of OD left shouldn't ever be flagged as a problem. Easy remedy is just to set off the OD at different stages so that your final activiation uses the last OD available (hell I do it all the time on all instruments).

But a song that leaves you with a half bar of OD but no way to activate it before the song finishes (on everything except vocals) I would hope would be picked up on before the song was passed.

(However I understand that the peer reviewers cannot be expected to pick up on every eventuality and these things will slip through now and again.)