JWR Interview in the 'Zine

jawillroyjawillroy Rising Star
edited June 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Okay, so check out the 'Zine. Who do you see? GWEN STEFANI.* Yeah, but who do you see UNDER Gwen Stefani?**

That's right, you jealous dogs, you.
http://www.rockband.com/zine/james-william-roy-interview

*And that's Gwen fifteen years younger than she is now.
**Hurr hurr.

Comments

• wesjett08wesjett08 Rising Star
    edited May 2010
    Awesome read, It's nice to see the RBN being a place where 'unknowns' like us can have a bit of a voice.

: )
  • jawillroyjawillroy Rising Star
    edited May 2010
    I think it's even better if you imagine me talking like Yosemite Sam.
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    Very informative read :)

You're not allowed to play your own tracks in RB? If that happened to me, my head would explode!
    edited May 2010
    Pankrazzo;3671049 said:
    You're not allowed to play your own tracks in RB?
    To be perfectly honest, I am and I could - but there aren't any other games than this one I can really see me wanting to play, so the investment in my very own xbox doesn't make much sense. And as I say - I have limited time for songwriting & recording as it is!
  • MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited May 2010
    jawillroy;3670165 said:
    I think it's even better if you imagine me talking like Yosemite Sam.
    "CONFARNIT!"

- m
    edited May 2010
    Pankrazzo;3671049 said:
    You're not allowed to play your own tracks in RB? If that happened to me, my head would explode!
    Naw, I just told him that RB would steal his time (and soul!) and keep him from getting actual songwriting done. I know it's done that to *me*, at least, so he at least has the excuse of not owning a 360 yet!

(I'd say "Or a PS3", but by the time these songs are ported over, we'd be looking at the release of the PS5!)

But we'll have to get him on a train sometime up to my place, and we'll have him play his own tunes... *and* record him on video for posterity!

Honestly, *I* just can't stand to play our tunes on RB anymore. They represent at least 250+ hours of my time, learning the tools and all. That's a whole lotta playtesting! And that's just for the RBN stuff: before that came innumerable hours of recording, mixing, and arranging the original songs.

You can perhaps understand how I have greater enthusiasm for other RBN bands that caught my ear! ;)

But if we get some label attention or an offer for a decent-profile gig or tour, I'll be happy to start practicing the parts again! Speaking of, I owe the Letterman people a return call about scheduling...

- m
    edited May 2010
    Markleford;3671817 said:
    But we'll have to get him on a train sometime up to my place, and we'll have him play his own tunes... *and* record him on video for posterity!
    I'm down with that. I'll bring a guitar, too, so we get all three H's: Harmonix, Hootenanny... Humiliation!
    Markleford;3671817 said:
    Speaking of, I owe the Letterman people a return call about scheduling...
    Oh, you managed to load up the payola budget?
  • rose_of_jerichorose_of_jericho Opening Act
    edited May 2010
    very cool interview! You really have a '65 Sears Silvertone?
    edited May 2010
    Thank you - and yep! The red sunburst with the two pickups, and with the tube amp built into the case.
  • ASPRonASPRon Opening Act
    edited May 2010
    Great read from a amazing artist I found because of the RBN ! Try JWR's Tracks. They are fun to play and the music is awesome!
    edited May 2010
    ASPRon;3674040 said:
    They are fun to play and the music is awesome!
    Thanks, Ron. And don't forget: CHHHEEEAAAP! ;)

(srsly! 80 msp! a deal!)

- m
    edited May 2010
    Markleford;3674871 said:
    CHHHEEEAAAP! ;)

(srsly! 80 msp! a deal!)
    And here I was thinking these were big ticket items, 'cause most of my music is FREE.
  • BlasteroidsBlasteroids Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    Almost 4 weeks have passed since the interview, so I think it is time to ask...

Are anymore songs currently in the pipeline? If so, any clues? :)
    edited May 2010
    4 weeks already? Yeesh... time flies...

Still, good to know people are still interested! :)

I should've started charting "Summer Calendar" already! We have a new extended arrangement of the demo version found on the site, adding another chorus and geetar solo, with more rockin' fun-but-not-too-hard drums (of course!). Still have some guitar tuning problems with one of the parts that'll need retracking, though, and we've been lazy about getting to it.

However, the *big* thing holding us up is the imminent announcement of RB3, because those features will trickle down into RBN. Namely, there's a melodica in "Summer Calendar" that could be made into a keyboard part, and this song (as always with JWR!) has a lot of harmony vocals in the hook.

So that's going to happen at E3, presumably, only 2 weeks or so away! Hopefully at that point, they'll give us word on what features we'll have access and when.

THEN it will become a huge decision of what's worth waiting for. Unfortunately, there are no "updates" to RBN DLC. If you release a song, it's out there forever. You *could* pull it from the store and release another identically named song, but the copies that are already out there would be incompatible with the new ones, so you couldn't play online together.

I suppose we could always do "Summer Calendar" now and then do "Summer Calendar (Deluxe)" later, but then fans would have to buy the new version all over again. Sucky!

So we're just going to sit on it for two more weeks to see. If it's too long of a wait, we'll dig up another candidate with no harmony vocals. I do have a slightly-longer new arrangment of "Red Guard" that's begging for release. Perhaps that'll jump to the top of the pile.

So, knowing that backstory, how do you feel about how we should handle things? And any particular votes for the next song?

Thanks for the wake-up kick, though: vocal fans *do* get us motivated, whereas normally we just get pouty and wallow in our gin! :)

- m
    edited June 2010
    Blasteroids;3726411 said:
    Are anymore songs currently in the pipeline? If so, any clues? :)
    Hey, thanks for reading, and thanks for asking; it's hard to tell, sometimes, if anyone's paying attention at all - so it's very nice to see evidence of it.

But pretty much, it's what Markleford said: We've got Summer Calendar in the pipe, but don't really want to shoot our wad on that if we can do a better job with it on E3. In the meantime, M has to tear me away from working on new material in order to do the guitar work on the older stuff, and you know how that is. Or not. But in any case, there's plenty of songs that we could hammer into shape for Rock Band if we thought people wanted to play them, both at http://www.thejamesrocket.com and http://amiestreet.com/music/james-william-roy/

So go to town, have a listening binge, and tell us what you want. We'll probably listen!
    edited June 2010
    Slackers!
    edited June 2010
    Pankrazzo;3728317 said:
    Slackers!
    Guilty as charged. :)

C'mon, it's spring-time! I'll be up for hunkering down to authoring once summer's in full-force and I have to hide inside with the AC cranked...

Non-RBN work is still happening, though. Still putting the album together.

And I know that's not what RB players want to hear. ;) Personally, I'd like to have like 3-5 songs up by the time RB3 launches, depending on the state of vocal harmonies by then.

In the meantime, though, there's plenty of free music to trawl through on the site! Load up your mp3 player and enjoy the weather outside while it's decent!

Thanks for the kindly jab, though. :D

- m
    edited June 2010
    Markleford;3728351 said:
    Thanks for the kindly jab, though. :D
    You're welcome. :D

But seriously, you do not want to know how the weather is in Germany right now. :(
    edited June 2010
    Thanks for the replies! I do not personally mind waiting, even though I am not interested in harmonies or keyboard :)

I have listened to most of the songs and I think the following would be good for RBN as is due to no keyboards+harmonies. Although take my selections from a person who only plays drums, badly :)

Pretty White Flag <- Good rocking track, even a mini-guitar solo :)
    All The Guitars <- Nice warmup track.
    To The Young Goth <- A little heavier.
    ABQ <- Not sure if this is worth waiting for harmonies?

Another fun one would be 'Donuts & Bacon' but this needs to wait for harmonies because it sounds like a real good track for parties :)

And I agree that 'Summer Calander' certainly needs to wait. As for 'Red Guard', I think the biggest problem is that half the instruments do not kick-in until 40+ seconds into the song. Whilst the rest of it sounds fun to play, it will get no benefit from the 'demo play' option. But still a good song to listen to.

So time for you to get charting, even if its on the stuff so you are ready to add the other bits as soon as they come out. Be prepared ;)

To much typing has made me thristy, so I am off for a beer now.
    edited June 2010
    ABQ? Really? I never really have a clear idea what of my material people are listening to, or what they like: so thank you for that.
  • Flux_Capacitor22Flux_Capacitor22 Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    Dude.

My Bartender's Boyfriend.

Pretty please.

Also, Fun Fact: After closer inspection and before a facepalm, I just now noticed who graced the cover of Paper Valentines.
    edited June 2010
    I'm not the first guy to find fun things to do with that pic.
    edited June 2010
    jawillroy;3728674 said:
    ABQ? Really? I never really have a clear idea what of my material people are listening to, or what they like: so thank you for that.
    I find from 30s in it starts to open up and would also be a nice warm-up song for drums. However, it maybe a bit boring for the other instruments?
    jawillroy;3728797 said:
    I'm not the first guy to find fun things to do with that pic.
    Thats great :)
    edited June 2010
    Blasteroids;3728986 said:
    However, it maybe a bit boring for the other instruments?
    I think ABQ probably won't be in the running, for that very reason: there's others I'd sooner have done, and frankly I don't see the level of demand out there to justify putting up any songs that didn't at least throw the other players a bone.
  • JormJorm Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    I still say "The Clothes Make The Man" would be a fun tune to get. :D
    edited June 2010
    Indeed it would!

(But I'd insist on waiting for RB3 vocal harmonies for that.)

(And sadly, the original sessions got eaten, so it needs to be completely re-recorded.)

(More excuses!)