RBN New Release Thread 2.0

Comments

• CloudWolfCloudWolf Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    jimbury;3684008 said:
    the new parry gripp is the first song i've d/led that i actually don't like, i suppose thats not a bad ratio 132:1
    How can you not like it? I mean, it's like five different kinds of awesome.
  • Moose1132Moose1132 Unsigned
    edited May 2010
    Yeah Parry Gripp is kind of weird. Girl at the Video Game Store is awesome, but if you preview some of their other stuff on itunes, a lot of it is non-sensible jibberish and random noises. That's the best way I can describe it anyway. :p
  • jimburyjimbury Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    noble;3684040 said:

I expect large cash donations from all of you at christmas time :p
    i'll knit you a jumper (sweater)
    CloudWolf;3684204 said:
    How can you not like it? I mean, it's like five different kinds of awesome.
    i'd rather just have the nachos
    Moose1132;3684205 said:
    Yeah Parry Gripp is kind of weird. Girl at the Video Game Store is awesome, but if you preview some of their other stuff on itunes, a lot of it is non-sensible jibberish and random noises. That's the best way I can describe it anyway. :p
    yea i really like gatvgs, fun chart and amusing too, this new one just doesn't do it for me
  • broncosfan06broncosfan06 Debbie Downer
    edited May 2010
    kingtonyx;3682823 said:
    yes indeed, that song has passed through review :)
    seems like another Fauxharmonic song is missing from the site, Hungarian Dance no 5.....did it get passed too?
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited May 2010
    broncosfan06;3684254 said:
    seems like another Fauxharmonic song is missing from the site, Hungarian Dance no 5.....did it get passed too?
    Probably yes, it was close
  • k-mack-mac Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    I bought Andy Timmon's Redemption online, but I accidentally bought the old one (clicked on the wrong link). What exactly are the differences between the two versions? Enough to warrant a re-buy (assuming i play expert guitar)?
  • joeybmx1joeybmx1 Unsigned
    edited May 2010
    So hows Creed doing??
  • dman2309dman2309 Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    k-mac;3684377 said:
    I bought Andy Timmon's Redemption online, but I accidentally bought the old one (clicked on the wrong link). What exactly are the differences between the two versions? Enough to warrant a re-buy (assuming i play expert guitar)?
    Apparently according to this tweet, it was over a broken drum fill.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited May 2010
    Swallow the razor just got approved.
  • pong0814pong0814 Opening Act
    edited May 2010
    noble;3684440 said:
    Swallow the razor just got approved.
    Yeeeeaaaaahhhhhh!
  • nolanandrewnolanandrew Opening Act
    edited May 2010
    You know these are some no-name bands when you look at the list and can't figure out which column are the band names and which are the songs.

Thanks for upgrading the thread, Noble! I still check pretty much daily.
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    nolanandrew;3684477 said:
    You know these are some no-name bands when you look at the list and can't figure out which column are the band names and which are the songs.

Thanks for upgrading the thread, Noble! I still check pretty much daily.
    If you don't know some of these bands you need to listen to more music rather than assume they aren't popular.
  • weeyooweeyoo Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    Dr. Doom FTW! I've been waiting for that song to finally get released.
  • k-mack-mac Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    dman2309;3684431 said:
    Apparently according to this tweet, it was over a broken drum fill.
    Thanks. Since I don't play drums, I guess the version I have will be sufficient.
  • JoshuaB81285JoshuaB81285 Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    Now only if we can get Parry Gripp's "Chimpanzee Riding A Segway", my life will be complete, haha.
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    Catch-22;3684555 said:
    If you don't know some of these bands you need to listen to more music rather than assume they aren't popular.
    Eh, to be fair, I hadn't heard of any of the bands we've worked with before getting in talks with them. Fortunately, though, I got to fix that pretty fast. I'd say, the demo feature and chart videos are there for a reason. Never hurts to explore.
  • weeyooweeyoo Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    Does anybody happen to have the drum chart for Dr.Doom? I'd appreciate it :)
    edited May 2010
    Catch-22;3684555 said:
    No, I don't. I didn't say they weren't good.
    "Popular" denotes that they are well-known by the populace. Meaning average people. I'm an average person. I listen to the radio. I check out the itunes top 100 quite a bit. I read Entertainment Weekly. I even watch "Subterranean" on MTV2 for my semi-niche music fix. And I've never heard of any of these bands. That's not to say they're not good. They're just not big names. Since I don't live under a rock, I don't have to "assume" a band's not popular. I just know it.

If you'd like to prove me wrong, please point to a time when any of the bands from today had a song on the Billboard Top 100. Hell, the Billboard Top 200. At any point, have any of them had even a semblance of a mainstream hit? If not, they can't rightly be called "popular," because that's the definition of the word. Perhaps you could qualify it by "popular amongst hardcore fans of such-and-such sub-genre," but certainly not "popular."
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited May 2010
    Well you see, this song just came out about a week ago....
    "Paralyzer" debuted on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 at number 97 in June 2007.[1] It proceeded to slowly gain in airplay and digital sales over the months. For the chart week of November 24, 2007 (over six months after the song was released), it became the band's first-career Top Ten hit on the Billboard Hot 100, rising from #14 to #10 for that catalog week. The song then proceeded to reach a new peak of #6 on the Hot 100 over a month later, for the chart week of January 5, 2008. The song became the band's first #1 on the Mainstream Rock and Modern Rock charts. Also on the Modern Rock charts, it tied 30 Seconds to Mars "The Kill (Bury Me)" and Red Jumpsuit Apparatus "Face Down" for the record of most weeks on that chart at 52 weeks. It also found great success on the Billboard Adult Top 40, eventually climbing into the top five of the chart at #3. As of August, 2009, the song has sold over 2,654,000 digital downloads in the United States.[2]

The track peaked at #12 on the Australian Singles Chart based on downloads alone; an amazing achievement considering eighty percent of single sales come from physical releases. Paralyzer is one of the most successful hits for the band. However at the end of the year the single ranked a dismal #58.

The song topped the Alternative genre on iTunes. iTunes also named "Paralyzer" the #1 rock song and #8 song overall of 2007. The single has been certified double platinum (2,457,058 downloads) by the RIAA.[3]

On the Canadian Singles Chart, the song became the band's second #1 following 2003's "One Thing." It also did well on the Canadian Hot 100, reaching #3. The song later debuted at #10 on the New Zealand RIANZ chart in February 2008, becoming the band's first charting song there. It climbed to #7 the following week.
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    nolanandrew;3685101 said:
    No, I don't. I didn't say they weren't good.
    "Popular" denotes that they are well-known by the populace. Meaning average people. I'm an average person. I listen to the radio. I check out the itunes top 100 quite a bit. I read Entertainment Weekly. I even watch "Subterranean" on MTV2 for my semi-niche music fix. And I've never heard of any of these bands. That's not to say they're not good. They're just not big names. Since I don't live under a rock, I don't have to "assume" a band's not popular. I just know it.

If you'd like to prove me wrong, please point to a time when any of the bands from today had a song on the Billboard Top 100. Hell, the Billboard Top 200. At any point, have any of them had even a semblance of a mainstream hit? If not, they can't rightly be called "popular," because that's the definition of the word. Perhaps you could qualify it by "popular amongst hardcore fans of such-and-such sub-genre," but certainly not "popular."
    Well

Paralyzer - Finger Eleven
    Never Let You Go - Third Eye Blind
    Semi-Charmed Kind Of Life - Third Eye Blind
    Jumper - Third Eye Blind
    Bodies - Drowning Pool

Bands
    Seether
    Mayday Parade
    Bang Camaro (RB, GH)
    The Main Drag (RB)
    Bouncing Souls
    MxPx
    The Devil Wears Prada (RB)
    All That Remains (RB, GH)
    The Bronx (GH5)
    The Glass Hammer (GH5)
    Reverend Horton Heat (GH2)
    Damone (RB)
    Flight of the Conchords
    A Day To Remember (RB)
    The Shins (RB, GH)
    Attack Attack (GH5)
    Dear and the Headlights (RB)
    Jonathon Coulton (RB)
    Lacuna Coil (RB)
    Steve Vai
    Stroke 9

Those are all bands that are somewhat reasonable to know through pop culture. I knew them all before they came to RBN through radio or Guitar Hero and Rock Band.
    edited May 2010
    Catch-22;3685142 said:
    Well

Paralyzer - Finger Eleven
    Never Let You Go - Third Eye Blind
    Semi-Charmed Kind Of Life - Third Eye Blind
    Jumper - Third Eye Blind
    Bodies - Drowning Pool

Bands
    Seether
    Mayday Parade
    Bang Camaro (RB, GH)
    The Main Drag (RB)
    Bouncing Souls
    MxPx
    The Devil Wears Prada (RB)
    All That Remains (RB, GH)
    The Bronx (GH5)
    The Glass Hammer (GH5)
    Reverend Horton Heat (GH2)
    Damone (RB)
    Flight of the Conchords
    A Day To Remember (RB)
    The Shins (RB, GH)
    Attack Attack (GH5)
    Dear and the Headlights (RB)
    Jonathon Coulton (RB)
    Lacuna Coil (RB)
    Steve Vai
    Stroke 9

Those are all bands that are somewhat reasonable to know through pop culture. I knew them all before they came to RBN through radio or Guitar Hero and Rock Band.
    Whoa, whoa, whoa. Sorry. We've had a misunderstanding, and it's mostly my fault. I meant that on TODAY'S listing I couldn't figure out which were the band names and which were the songs. Please take what I wrote and apply it only to the 5/10 new releases post.

Of course I know "Paralyzer" and Third Eye Blind, amongst many others. I've purchased several songs off the RBN, including Band of Skulls, The Shins, and The Clicks (sp?), none of whom are especially popular, but all of whom I've either heard on the radio or seen on "Subterranean."

Thus, I stand by my points, but only with regard to today's new entries. Oh, and I would argue that being a Harmonix bonus band like The Main Drag doesn't make you mainstream popular, but perhaps that's a subject for another thread.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited May 2010
    Right, I do have to say that I mean no offense to the bands when I say I get confused by the "Song - Artist" format that this thread has taken, especially with the explicit column labels left out. I personally feel that "Artist - Song" makes more sense in general, as one would expect songs by the same artist to be grouped together when sorted alphabetically by the leftmost column. It has nothing to do with the bands being unpopular, it's just that one band's song title could easily be another band's name, and if I don't recognize any of the bands or songs at first glance, then the list becomes just a big jumble of words
  • CloudWolfCloudWolf Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    Catch-22;3685142 said:
    The Glass Hammer (GH5)
    Attack Attack (GH5)
    Last time I checked neither of those bands are in GH5.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited May 2010
    noble;3681704 said:
    That's America for you. We have to make up our own way of doing things just to let people know we are in no way associated with the evil British Empire :D;)

D/M/Y and Inches and Feet are totally more awesome and better than that crazy M/D/Y and Metric system that was obviously designed to spread evil :p:rolleyes:

Never mind that this all happened over 230 years ago. :D
    For what it's worth, Y/M/D is much better for sorting purposes. :D
  • PeePReeLPeePReeL Unsigned
    edited May 2010
    joeybmx1;3684429 said:
    So hows Creed doing??
    This
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited May 2010
    PeePReeL;3685325 said:
    This
    Last I heard, it was in testing. Testers generally can't say more than that, so we'll likely hear something once it passes or gets reuploaded.

The fact that any version is up bodes well for it coming in the next 4 weeks though.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited May 2010
    CloudWolf;3685288 said:
    Last time I checked neither of those bands are in GH5.
    Attack! Attack! has a song in GH5 ("You and Me"). Not sure about Glass Hammer.
  • aperfectorestesaperfectorestes Opening Act
    edited May 2010
    T-Hybrid;3685441 said:
    Attack! Attack! has a song in GH5 ("You and Me"). Not sure about Glass Hammer.
    That is a different Attack Attack. They are from the UK.

Attack! Attack! (UK) (You and Me - GH5)

Attack Attack! (US) (Stick Stickly - RBN)

If it helps... the UK band uses 2 exclamation points and the US band uses 1.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited May 2010
    I'm going to start a band and call it The Beatles!!

:D

Also, Evile now has six songs in the pipe :D
    edited May 2010
    I consider it very brave that there are people on this forum willing to admit...nay, proclaim...that they are anxiously awaiting Creed songs. Bravo to your courage and devil-may-care attitude, even though you must know what the rest of us are thinking.