RBN New Release Thread 2.0

Comments

• nolanandrewnolanandrew Opening Act
    edited May 2010
    Catch-22;3684555 said:
    If you don't know some of these bands you need to listen to more music rather than assume they aren't popular.
    No, I don't. I didn't say they weren't good.
    "Popular" denotes that they are well-known by the populace. Meaning average people. I'm an average person. I listen to the radio. I check out the itunes top 100 quite a bit. I read Entertainment Weekly. I even watch "Subterranean" on MTV2 for my semi-niche music fix. And I've never heard of any of these bands. That's not to say they're not good. They're just not big names. Since I don't live under a rock, I don't have to "assume" a band's not popular. I just know it.

If you'd like to prove me wrong, please point to a time when any of the bands from today had a song on the Billboard Top 100. Hell, the Billboard Top 200. At any point, have any of them had even a semblance of a mainstream hit? If not, they can't rightly be called "popular," because that's the definition of the word. Perhaps you could qualify it by "popular amongst hardcore fans of such-and-such sub-genre," but certainly not "popular."
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited May 2010
    Well you see, this song just came out about a week ago....
    "Paralyzer" debuted on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 at number 97 in June 2007.[1] It proceeded to slowly gain in airplay and digital sales over the months. For the chart week of November 24, 2007 (over six months after the song was released), it became the band's first-career Top Ten hit on the Billboard Hot 100, rising from #14 to #10 for that catalog week. The song then proceeded to reach a new peak of #6 on the Hot 100 over a month later, for the chart week of January 5, 2008. The song became the band's first #1 on the Mainstream Rock and Modern Rock charts. Also on the Modern Rock charts, it tied 30 Seconds to Mars "The Kill (Bury Me)" and Red Jumpsuit Apparatus "Face Down" for the record of most weeks on that chart at 52 weeks. It also found great success on the Billboard Adult Top 40, eventually climbing into the top five of the chart at #3. As of August, 2009, the song has sold over 2,654,000 digital downloads in the United States.[2]

The track peaked at #12 on the Australian Singles Chart based on downloads alone; an amazing achievement considering eighty percent of single sales come from physical releases. Paralyzer is one of the most successful hits for the band. However at the end of the year the single ranked a dismal #58.

The song topped the Alternative genre on iTunes. iTunes also named "Paralyzer" the #1 rock song and #8 song overall of 2007. The single has been certified double platinum (2,457,058 downloads) by the RIAA.[3]

On the Canadian Singles Chart, the song became the band's second #1 following 2003's "One Thing." It also did well on the Canadian Hot 100, reaching #3. The song later debuted at #10 on the New Zealand RIANZ chart in February 2008, becoming the band's first charting song there. It climbed to #7 the following week.
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    nolanandrew;3685101 said:
    No, I don't. I didn't say they weren't good.
    "Popular" denotes that they are well-known by the populace. Meaning average people. I'm an average person. I listen to the radio. I check out the itunes top 100 quite a bit. I read Entertainment Weekly. I even watch "Subterranean" on MTV2 for my semi-niche music fix. And I've never heard of any of these bands. That's not to say they're not good. They're just not big names. Since I don't live under a rock, I don't have to "assume" a band's not popular. I just know it.

If you'd like to prove me wrong, please point to a time when any of the bands from today had a song on the Billboard Top 100. Hell, the Billboard Top 200. At any point, have any of them had even a semblance of a mainstream hit? If not, they can't rightly be called "popular," because that's the definition of the word. Perhaps you could qualify it by "popular amongst hardcore fans of such-and-such sub-genre," but certainly not "popular."
    Well

Paralyzer - Finger Eleven
    Never Let You Go - Third Eye Blind
    Semi-Charmed Kind Of Life - Third Eye Blind
    Jumper - Third Eye Blind
    Bodies - Drowning Pool

Bands
    Seether
    Mayday Parade
    Bang Camaro (RB, GH)
    The Main Drag (RB)
    Bouncing Souls
    MxPx
    The Devil Wears Prada (RB)
    All That Remains (RB, GH)
    The Bronx (GH5)
    The Glass Hammer (GH5)
    Reverend Horton Heat (GH2)
    Damone (RB)
    Flight of the Conchords
    A Day To Remember (RB)
    The Shins (RB, GH)
    Attack Attack (GH5)
    Dear and the Headlights (RB)
    Jonathon Coulton (RB)
    Lacuna Coil (RB)
    Steve Vai
    Stroke 9

Those are all bands that are somewhat reasonable to know through pop culture. I knew them all before they came to RBN through radio or Guitar Hero and Rock Band.
    edited May 2010
    Catch-22;3685142 said:
    Well

Paralyzer - Finger Eleven
    Never Let You Go - Third Eye Blind
    Semi-Charmed Kind Of Life - Third Eye Blind
    Jumper - Third Eye Blind
    Bodies - Drowning Pool

Bands
    Seether
    Mayday Parade
    Bang Camaro (RB, GH)
    The Main Drag (RB)
    Bouncing Souls
    MxPx
    The Devil Wears Prada (RB)
    All That Remains (RB, GH)
    The Bronx (GH5)
    The Glass Hammer (GH5)
    Reverend Horton Heat (GH2)
    Damone (RB)
    Flight of the Conchords
    A Day To Remember (RB)
    The Shins (RB, GH)
    Attack Attack (GH5)
    Dear and the Headlights (RB)
    Jonathon Coulton (RB)
    Lacuna Coil (RB)
    Steve Vai
    Stroke 9

Those are all bands that are somewhat reasonable to know through pop culture. I knew them all before they came to RBN through radio or Guitar Hero and Rock Band.
    Whoa, whoa, whoa. Sorry. We've had a misunderstanding, and it's mostly my fault. I meant that on TODAY'S listing I couldn't figure out which were the band names and which were the songs. Please take what I wrote and apply it only to the 5/10 new releases post.

Of course I know "Paralyzer" and Third Eye Blind, amongst many others. I've purchased several songs off the RBN, including Band of Skulls, The Shins, and The Clicks (sp?), none of whom are especially popular, but all of whom I've either heard on the radio or seen on "Subterranean."

Thus, I stand by my points, but only with regard to today's new entries. Oh, and I would argue that being a Harmonix bonus band like The Main Drag doesn't make you mainstream popular, but perhaps that's a subject for another thread.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited May 2010
    Right, I do have to say that I mean no offense to the bands when I say I get confused by the "Song - Artist" format that this thread has taken, especially with the explicit column labels left out. I personally feel that "Artist - Song" makes more sense in general, as one would expect songs by the same artist to be grouped together when sorted alphabetically by the leftmost column. It has nothing to do with the bands being unpopular, it's just that one band's song title could easily be another band's name, and if I don't recognize any of the bands or songs at first glance, then the list becomes just a big jumble of words
  • CloudWolfCloudWolf Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    Catch-22;3685142 said:
    The Glass Hammer (GH5)
    Attack Attack (GH5)
    Last time I checked neither of those bands are in GH5.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited May 2010
    noble;3681704 said:
    That's America for you. We have to make up our own way of doing things just to let people know we are in no way associated with the evil British Empire :D;)

D/M/Y and Inches and Feet are totally more awesome and better than that crazy M/D/Y and Metric system that was obviously designed to spread evil :p:rolleyes:

Never mind that this all happened over 230 years ago. :D
    For what it's worth, Y/M/D is much better for sorting purposes. :D
  • PeePReeLPeePReeL Unsigned
    edited May 2010
    joeybmx1;3684429 said:
    So hows Creed doing??
    This
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited May 2010
    PeePReeL;3685325 said:
    This
    Last I heard, it was in testing. Testers generally can't say more than that, so we'll likely hear something once it passes or gets reuploaded.

The fact that any version is up bodes well for it coming in the next 4 weeks though.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited May 2010
    CloudWolf;3685288 said:
    Last time I checked neither of those bands are in GH5.
    Attack! Attack! has a song in GH5 ("You and Me"). Not sure about Glass Hammer.
  • aperfectorestesaperfectorestes Opening Act
    edited May 2010
    T-Hybrid;3685441 said:
    Attack! Attack! has a song in GH5 ("You and Me"). Not sure about Glass Hammer.
    That is a different Attack Attack. They are from the UK.

Attack! Attack! (UK) (You and Me - GH5)

Attack Attack! (US) (Stick Stickly - RBN)

If it helps... the UK band uses 2 exclamation points and the US band uses 1.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited May 2010
    I'm going to start a band and call it The Beatles!!

:D

Also, Evile now has six songs in the pipe :D
    edited May 2010
    I consider it very brave that there are people on this forum willing to admit...nay, proclaim...that they are anxiously awaiting Creed songs. Bravo to your courage and devil-may-care attitude, even though you must know what the rest of us are thinking.
  • DarkCanuckDarkCanuck Unsigned
    edited May 2010
    PeePReeL;3685325 said:
    This
    Okay well since other are asking and not get flamed for asking I would like to know about The Tragically Hip I know it has been testing for a while now?

I suggest when it comes you all try it out and see how awesome this band is.
  • EaglesBecomeVulturesEaglesBecomeVultures Opening Act
    edited May 2010
    nolanandrew;3685579 said:
    I consider it very brave that there are people on this forum willing to admit...nay, proclaim...that they are anxiously awaiting Creed songs. Bravo to your courage and devil-may-care attitude, even though you must know what the rest of us are thinking.
    Hahahahaha. Bravo to you, sir.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited May 2010
    nolanandrew;3685579 said:
    I want both Creed and Nickleback. And really don't give a crap what people think of that.
  • kiggidykevkiggidykev Thinks about pandas
    edited May 2010
    T-Hybrid;3685610 said:
    I want both Creed and Nickleback. And really don't give a crap what people think of that.
    Same here. If I cared what people thought about my Rock Band library, I'd probably have like 100 songs in total :p
    edited May 2010
    kiggidykev;3685638 said:
    Same here. If I cared what people thought about my Rock Band library, I'd probably have like 100 songs in total :p

It's really awesome to watch people's expressions when your setlist goes from Cannibal corpse to P!nk then the Clash, and finally settles on Willie Nelson.

Lots of WTF expressions :D
  • coescastlecoescastle Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    Is there anywhere you can buy the rock band network songs in the xbox marketplace?
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    Nowhere that you can search on xbox.com itself or see a list but if you google the song name and Xbox Live Marketplace a link will show up or you can refer to this site: http://error420.com/rbn/
  • coescastlecoescastle Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
  • broncosfan06broncosfan06 Debbie Downer
    edited May 2010
    Night On Bald Mountain just got put up on the approved list.....tryin to find links now

so excited
    edited May 2010
    broncosfan06;3685729 said:
    Night On Bald Mountain just got put up on the approved list.....tryin to find links now

so excited

Flight of the bumblebee should make it through soon too...
  • TehShrikeTehShrike Opening Act
    edited May 2010
    For those who are interested, http://error420.com/rbn/ now links to the official RockBand.com store page for songs that have been officially released.
  • broncosfan06broncosfan06 Debbie Downer
    edited May 2010
    noble;3685935 said:
    Flight of the bumblebee should make it through soon too...
    Hungarian Dance no 5 has also disappeared from their list so either it will be up soon or they are going through another round with it
    edited May 2010
    broncosfan06;3686049 said:
    Hungarian Dance no 5 has also disappeared from their list so either it will be up soon or they are going through another round with it

I THINK that one made it.
    edited May 2010
    T-Hybrid;3685610 said:
    Funny you should mention Nickleback. Along with Creed, they are the only other band that comes to mind where I would make the argument that they are objectively bad. Not a matter of taste. Just bad.

I'm pretty open-minded when it comes to music (I love Avril Lavigne, for instance), but those two bands are just such talentless hacks that my tolerance only goes so far.

Again, bravo for admitting your guilty pleasures. Stand tall and proud by the crap that you love.
  • bjyaritzbjyaritz Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    T-Hybrid;3685610 said:
    Me too "T" and the heck with everyone else.
  • joeybmx1joeybmx1 Unsigned
    edited May 2010
    bjyaritz;3686155 said:
    Me too "T" and the heck with everyone else.

haha same here!!! I just really hope we get Creed in a few weeks, along with Otep, and Evenescene!!
  • SystemSCSnakeSystemSCSnake Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    I'm not sure where to ask this, but how much is flight of the bumblebee (Probably) going to cost?