Going waaaay away from Rock... Wrestling!

lorddavidlorddavid Opening Act
edited July 2007 in Less Rokk More Talk
Just wondering... have we any wrestling fans here? Or possibly anyone involved in wrestling in any way?

Ok, it's highly unlikely Triple H will be visiting these forums (Although I now have this vision of him healing up, sat on the couch, jamming on GH... Probably playing a custom version of his theme on it most likely ;), annnnyway...), and so anyone claiming to be a big star is unlikely (well, 'cept for maybe comedy purposes).

However, it's possible people in the indepentant circuit may hop on.

I myself referee and wrestle in the UK Midlands (NBW/GNP/RDW/NWL/FJW to name 'em, tho' I do backstage interview work occasionally for EWW)

Just figured it'd be interesting to find out who likes wrestling and such.

Comments

• IbanezBassist_v2IbanezBassist_v2 Road Warrior
    edited July 2007
    Heh. Used to love wrestling. As a matter of fact, a few of my friends and myself are involved in a BYW fed. Ever interested in checking it out its http://www.myspace.com/mgdfed.
  • Amy329Amy329 Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    I use to be a huge wrestling fan back in the day. I still am but not so much anymore. I don't keep up with the WWE crap. I have been two 2 live shows..a Raw and a Heat. I love ECW..WCW..WWF..TNA wrestling..ect. I am a huge sabu fan that guy is the ****. oh yeah and jericho is hot!
  • lorddavidlorddavid Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    IbanezBassist_v2;20729 said:
    Heh. Used to love wrestling. As a matter of fact, a few of my friends and myself are involved in a BYW fed. Ever interested in checking it out its http://www.myspace.com/mgdfed.
    I'd suggest to stop doing the backyard stuff, and be careful to never EVER mention it to a wrestler that's been trained, 'cause they're liable to smack you one for doing it (I've even heard stories of backyarders being booked on real shows... specifically so that a stiff worker can give 'em a pounding)

Also, to be honest... no matter how correct you feel you're doing the moves, I promise you that you're making a mess of them (Believe me, I've been there done that, as I go to training, I can attest that things I "thought" were correct from trying to watch and study, ended up being entirely wrong).

I've actually worked real wrestling matches too (Shirt Ninja (me) Vs Jay Beaver), and even had to ring announce shows (Ok, a single show, because while I was ref, I found out the ring announcer we had, was crap, and told him to get lost and took over... it was my own show too, lol (FJW is my promotion, we only do occasional shows locally tho')). So I've done my fair bit around wrestling.

With that clip I posted too, if you look under my name, you can actually watch the entire show (Matches are: Shirt Ninja Vs Jay Beaver, Jay Beaver Vs Chebby, Nitrus Vs Tiger X, James Konejero & Maddog Manning Vs The Establishment, Sash Vs Stixx (For The Hammer Of Justice, our top title)), and despite the very low turnout (Bad planning on my part), I feel the show was actually amazingly good. I'm also ref, :D.

Didn't really mean to turn this into a cheap plug either, just like to get the independant stuff out there (Plus, the guys on that show are awesome workers, and barring one or two, could end up doing really big things in the wrestling industry, especially Fraiser & Malen (The Establishment)).

WWE itself tho' does bore me lately, the wrestlers they have don't tend to hold my interest (tho' I blame WWE for that more than the wrestlers, because with their travelling, they have to cut down on a lot of things, and WWE scripts all the matches), while TNA's booking is about as random as me with my pants round my ankles, a rose in my backside, singing Hard Rock Hallelujah on a sinking boat... if you catch my drift, lol. Hence I find that only the independant shows are entertaining because they put on short shows with an empthasis on good wrestling, with a few storylines to give a reason for the matches. Just how wrestling should be.
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, well. You asked and I gave you an answer. I didn't ask for you to preach to me or give me a lecture on how I can injury myself. I'm a grown enough adult to make my own decision and suffer the repercussions. I highly doubt that a professional wrestler is going to do **** to me. Unless they plan on paying for a large settlement for assault. :D

What we do is for entertainment. Its not professional and its not by any means taken out of hand. So if all your thread is about is luring people in about their particular hobbies or interest just to start a debate, then maybe you ought to state your purpose before you piss someone off. :p

BTW, Please don't go Benoit on me.....
    edited July 2007
    lol at the Benoit comment.

However... to be honest, what you do affects wrestling too, because anyone watching it looks down on wrestling too. Plus the amount of times people get injured doing backyarding only to start attempting to sue Vince is amazing.

I don't actually mean to "preach" but I'm with the wrestlers on this'un, because I used to backyard (tho' I admit, mainly I practiced moves... however I have a completely screwed up right knee because of backyarding... because I thought I knew what I was doing... and while the move was down, my positioning wasn't), and so I know how stupid I used to look and plus, you'd do better heading to a proper training school.

It's kind of why I referee... not because I backyarded, lol, but because I was given a chance to ref thanks to a mate already in the business, I did a few shows, then did some training, and eventually realized that I'm just not good at wrestling (Even short spots I screw up), but as a referee I've got a couple of guys who, on knowing I'm on the show, will immediately request me to do their match because I'm respected as a good referee, which I'm loving :).

Who knows, you could get some training and find you have some natural talent there, and end up working matches all over the place, but ye'll never know if ya have talent while pratting about with a few guys in ya garden, lol.
  • Rock_StarmanRock_Starman Headliner
    edited July 2007
    I was. Not so much anymore. Was a big ECW fan,the real one not todays,back when there was no DQ,when they had real songs for themes,fans sung along with them,when Tajri and Super Crazy didn't have to try to speak english and were apprciated for their ability alone,the one with the awesome fueds and storylines like Raven/Dreamer (best ever!),Lynn/RVD,Tanaka/Awesome,Rhino/Sandman and Taz/Sabu. Gotta mention New Jack too,that guy was crazy.

Sandman's entrance used to be so badass. Still never got to the bottom of how he managed to carry all that beer in his pants. RVD took up about 10 minutes with his too since he had to high five every single fan in the first 3 to 5 rows.
  • newwaytodienewwaytodie Road Warrior
    edited July 2007
    I'd go as far as to say simply watching wrestling gives you brain damage.
    edited July 2007
    newwaytodie;24351 said:
    I'd go as far as to say simply watching wrestling gives you brain damage.
    Do you ever have anything enlightening to say, ever. Or are you just one of those negative wads or clay?

Hmm. lets see.....listens to All American Rejects, Ben Folds Five, Bullet for my Valentine, Children of Bodom, Coheed And Cambria.

Nevermind that explains everything. You've got your own little bit of brain damage going on.
  • beermanbeerman Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    Whoa, Brandon. Leave Children of Bodom out of this.
    edited July 2007
  • newwaytodienewwaytodie Road Warrior
    edited July 2007
    IbanezBassist_v2;24508 said:
    You've got your own little bit of brain damage going on.
    Don't we all? I did watch wrestling for a few years back as a teenager.
  • akemi27akemi27 Unsigned
    edited July 2007
    was a fan when i was young and also when wcw was coming up as well wwf when dx was coming about...
  • edited July 2007
    Yeah I still watch it. I plan on going to No Mercy with my friends when it hits Chicago in October.
    edited July 2007
    Nah, screw No Mercy, go support the smaller wrestling companies (On the condition they're not a bunch of idiots who have just managed to hire a ring for their mates to put on a show... there's too many people doing that over here, so I dunno what it's like over there). You can get some really good wrestlers on the smaller circuits.

For instance, if you can find anything on youtube from people like Sam Slam, Dragon Aisu, Flatliner, The Establishment and Killer Instinct, you'll see what I mean, also, for how real women's wrestling can be outside of Japan, check out anything with Sweet Saraya working it.

Also, on the smaller circuit, you still get relatively big names, last year Tracey Smothers was in the UK, and I worked a fair few shows with him during the summer (including a match between him and Dragon Aisu, during which I gave him a public warning for a hair pull... Dragon Aisu's bald :D).
  • DaesaniaDaesania Serious Poster
    edited July 2007
    I still watch wrestling occasionally, mainly just the PPVs with my friends. Batista is my favorite, I know he's not the best with his lines, but he's awesome eye candy :) I got to meet him last year.. got a photo (on my myspace) and his autograph. He was ok in person, not really nice, not really mean, he was just there. Seen only one show live, but had second row seats by the turnbuckle, so that was really awesome :)
  • Jsnkr9216Jsnkr9216 Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    Wrestling used to be so much better than it is now.

Give me back the 90's anyday.

But sometimes it's fun to see the new stuff they pull out.

And the fact it's tradition to get Wrestlemania every year. Since it's right around my birthday (March 31st)