Going to See Weird Al July 21st, Any Basic RBN Info I Can Show Him?

edited July 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Hey guys, I'm a huge roamer of these forums; I usually don't post, but I was wondering -

I'm going to see Weird Al Yankovic July 21st in Orlando (As the title says), and I REALLY wanted to ask him if he had thoughts about putting his music into RBN. I know he's stated before that he would love for HMX to come to him about getting his music in the game, but I'm not too sure if he's aware of RBN and the companies that can chart the songs for him.

I wanted to know if there was just a basic info sheet that I could hand to him? I know there's a bunch of info spread throughout the websites, but is there something I could give to him that would give him the general gist of getting his music onto the RBN?

I already have the list of companies that offer charting services (like rhythm authors), but is there anything that I'm possibly missing? I don't want to seem like a salesguy for the two seconds that I'll probably talk to him, but if I ask if he's heard of the RBN, and he says no, I would love to convey to him as much, and as general, information as possible.

Thanks for your time, guys

Comments

• edited May 2010
    Awesome, thanks a lot :]

I wanted a list to present to him too, however; something that he could read over and would give him a basic detail of RBN, and the steps it would take to get his music in the game, as well as the perks, before giving him a "For more info, please contact _____" option. If there is no standard list/printout I can give him, what should I have included on a typed list?
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited May 2010
    I wouldn't give him any author's specific info. Just point him towards the Rock Band Network site and let him read up on it and make his decision.

If you approach him with a specific author he's going to look at more as you trying to get his business than he will you trying to honestly help him.
  • Dragonheart1991Dragonheart1991 Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    Hopefully Weird Al will take note and hop onto the RBN bus. We've got Jonathan Coulton etc..but RB feels naked without Weird Al.

In interviews he's stated he's interested, but hasn't been approached yet. So just point him toward the site really, all you can do.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited May 2010
    Hey I live in Orlando, where's he playing at? Maybe I can join in on the fun
  • mjlambert1mjlambert1 Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    T-Hybrid;3688644 said:

If you approach him with a specific author he's going to look at more as you trying to get his business than he will you trying to honestly help him.
    Yeah, just give him the link to the RBN here on the Rock Band site.
  • silentknellsilentknell Opening Act
    edited May 2010
    I would personally have a list of few bands that he may know of that have so far contributed to RBN, so that he'll immediately grasp that this isn't just for small independent labels, but more popular ones as well. That seems to be a common misunderstanding, and may put him off. Then again, if you list some of these "bigger" bands that he has no respect for, that may put him off too. Choose carefully.
  • weirdphilweirdphil Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    Al directs music videos for Presidents of United States of America and Hanson, to name a few. If we get Al in here, it could be like a domino effect.
  • EVIL DAVEEVIL DAVE Opening Act
    edited May 2010
    Weird Al is amazing, and I hope you can get this info to him! Maybe make mention of fellow "novelty" acts such as Flight of the Conchords and Parry Gripp?
  • GreatJedi7GreatJedi7 Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    ProlongsLifeToFecal;3688373 said:
    I'm going to see Weird Al Yankovic July 21st in Orlando
    *impersonating Napoleon Dynamite* Lucky!....
  • edited May 2010
    Wow, you guys came up with great ideas :]

You're probably right in the fact that I shouldn't point him towards a single author, because it would sound like a sales pitch. I guess pointing him to this website, along with a few examples of bands, both small and big, that have done so as well (great ideas of JoCo and FotC) would help too.

Oh, and he's playing at the Hard Rock.

I'm a huge fan of his, and I would really love his music in Rock band. I don't know if he would be able to do parodies (I guess he would - Cartman's "Pokerface," though not a parody, is close enough), but even originals would be amazing. I'll probably type up some basic information, just incase he asks, but in all honesty, I'll point him towards the RBN subforum, because a community is definitely more powerful and useful than any load of information I could type on paper.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited May 2010
    No parodies or covers on RBN, although if he gets his foot in the door via RBN he could possibly eventually see his parodies as regular DLC.
    edited May 2010
    I live about 25 minutes away from Hard Rock at the Boardwalk, I'll see if I can't get a ticket to that show somehow, and maybe we can meet up and see if we can't convince him
  • Scott_II_HottScott_II_Hott Unsigned
    edited May 2010
    Definitely tell him that JoCo has signed on I saw a pic of them together on his twitter so they've obviously met. Also, don't worry about parodies, his label will figure out the legal details just try and get his attention to putting his songs period into RBN. Let him know its a great opportunity as well to promote his Internet Leaks EP or his upcoming album.
  • edited May 2010
    HeyRiles;3689025 said:
    I live about 25 minutes away from Hard Rock at the Boardwalk, I'll see if I can't get a ticket to that show somehow, and maybe we can meet up and see if we can't convince him
    You live in the Orlando area? Ha, I didn't know that, awesome. I know my ticket was 35, so I'm sure you can find one for around that price, maybe even cheaper.

Last time I went to his concert, he did a free meet-and-greet, but you had to wait about a half hour after the show was done. It's very quick though, depending on how long the line of people is (which wasn't too long, honestly) - you go on, say hi, shake his hand, talk for a quick sec, have him sign something, get a picture, move on. I just hope we'd have long enough to communicate with him, seriously, about this subject.
  • Michelle452Michelle452 Unsigned
    edited May 2010
    I would LOVE to see 'Frank's 2000 Inch TV' available on Rock Band!

Actually most any Weird Al would be amazing though :)
  • MourganDespanaMourganDespana Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    Was Dare to Be Stupid a parady? if not, then he could do that.
  • edited May 2010
    MourganDespana;3689055 said:
    Was Dare to Be Stupid a parady? if not, then he could do that.
    It wasn't, and I would LOVE to see that song :]
    Personal favorite - "Everything You Know is Wrong"

A ton of his stuff would be amazing on RB, no lie
    edited May 2010
    Fair enough then. I'll try to remember to message you or something closer to that date
  • weirdphilweirdphil Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    Al has some pretty awesome original songs too. There's plenty of material he could toss on the RBN.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited May 2010
    On one hand, the 10-minute maximum would mean that "Albuquerque" can't be used, and the 30-second minimum would mean that "Let Me Be Your Hog" can't be used. On the other hand, the "no covers" rule would pretty much guarantee that we'd get the songs that would be most fun to play rather than just please the people who want parodies of songs we already have.

(of course, RBN and regular DLC are by no means mutually exclusive)
  • edited May 2010
    You're pretty much spot on - We wouldn't get hits such as Albuquerque, or Genius in France (At least, I think that one's past 10 minutes), but that doesn't exclude those songs from regular DLC if the RBN tracks sell really well. Let's just hope for the best :]
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited May 2010
    "Genius in France" clocks in just shy of 9 minutes so that would be fine. "Albuquerque" gets a ton of requests so I wouldn't be surprised to see it in the normal store one of these days.
  • Edify1Edify1 Rising Star
    edited May 2010
    I've seen "Weird Al" Yankovic live three times, and what were the three best concerts I've ever been to? The "Weird Al" Yankovic concerts! I'm pretty jealous that you're getting to see him. On his current tour, he's making his way out to California but to Sacramento, which is about a five hour drive from me. I certainly hope he checks out the RBN from whatever information you show him.
  • Scott_II_HottScott_II_Hott Unsigned
    edited May 2010
    Yeah I've only seen him once live but damn was it awesome! But yeah I hope we get Albuquerque through the normal DLC cause that song NEEDS to be in RB
  • MasemMasem Opening Act
    edited May 2010
    Based only on what I've seen Al post online through his social stuff, I am pretty confident he's not in the dark on RBN (and certainly not a n00b on Rock Band).

I have a sneaky suspicion that WAY has tracks deep in the queue (possibly timed with his album release this year) but we want to encourage him to get more out.
  • GreatJedi7GreatJedi7 Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    Tell him to e-mail me about this please.
  • CaptainKickerCaptainKicker Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    Did you show him anything?
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    SirDavidTLynch;3689141 said:
    On one hand, the 10-minute maximum would mean that "Albuquerque" can't be used, and the 30-second minimum would mean that "Let Me Be Your Hog" can't be used. On the other hand, the "no covers" rule would pretty much guarantee that we'd get the songs that would be most fun to play rather than just please the people who want parodies of songs we already have.

(of course, RBN and regular DLC are by no means mutually exclusive)
    I'm not familar with his work, but am I correct in assuming that's a parody of "I Wanna Be Yout Dog"?
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited July 2010
    TubaDude49;3895226 said:
    I'm not familar with his work, but am I correct in assuming that's a parody of "I Wanna Be Yout Dog"?
    nope. it's an original song and it is very short