Saban bought the rights to Power Rangers back (RBN related)

AerithLovesTifaAerithLovesTifa Opening Act
edited May 2010 in The Rock Band Network
This could potentially mean that OZone could actually get the Power Rangers theme on RBN since the main thing blocking him from what I remember is Disney owning the rights to it.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118019212.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

Comments

• JoshVanHalen87JoshVanHalen87 Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited May 2010
    Harmonix would still probably worry about the legal aspects of the name though
  • AerithLovesTifaAerithLovesTifa Opening Act
    edited May 2010
    HeyRiles;3688681 said:

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/2/27874/600107-oh_you_super.jpg
  • overdriveguitarmanoverdriveguitarman The Walrus
    edited May 2010
  • General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited May 2010
    Saban has cut a deal with Nickelodeon for 20 new "Power Rangers" episodes, while the library of some 700 older segs will begin airing on cabler Nicktoons later this year.
    Come on cross promotion!

Edit: This of course would factor out Ozone, in favor of the hmx of music license gods.
  • TheOzoneTheOzone Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    I didn't want to come in here, but you guys are really getting out of hand.

Please stop bringing up that other song and getting all mad at Harmonix. Keep the discussion on-topic or else bad things will happen (likely to me).

Thanks.

EDIT: General, I saw your post before you editted it. Only attractive women get to "screw Ozone". ;)
  • moomandwwmoomandww Opening Act
    edited May 2010
    Wait, Nick is aring them!?!?! The same Nick we got Naked Brothers Band and Selena Gomez from!!?!?!

DEAR GOD THERES HOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • QuazifujiQuazifuji Opening Act
    edited May 2010
    HeyRiles;3688681 said:
    Saban seems to have bought the rights to the entire show. I don't know anything about how these legal issues work, but the article makes it sound like OZone might only need permission from Saban and not Disney now.

Of course, even if that's true, it still requires Saban to hand the song over, but maybe if we're lucky they'll be more willing than Disney.
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    Quazifuji;3688777 said:
    Saban seems to have bought the rights to the entire show. I don't know anything about how these legal issues work, but the article makes it sound like OZone might only need permission from Saban and not Disney now.

Of course, even if that's true, it still requires Saban to hand the song over, but maybe if we're lucky they'll be more willing than Disney.
    Mumblings are, they've been game for it the whole time, it's just been Disney.

And it's not like Ron couldn't re-record for the new series if he had to, keep the original character while amping it up for the new generation (and making it even more RB-ready).

Hey, maybe even use Fight Back as the closing credits song!
    edited May 2010
    Quazifuji;3688777 said:

When I showed him the article on Twitter this is what he said

Sweet Jesus. I have contacts with old Saban, so I will look into this.
  • weirdphilweirdphil Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    HeyRiles;3688785 said:
    Well, one song that Wasserman had uploaded to RBN, Revengers Theme, had to be taken down due to legal issues, even though Wasserman had all legal rights to the song and Disney was not affiliated - Harmonix simply was too worried about licensing issues to allow it to stay up
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t13y3-yF65I

Been playing it for a while. It's up, but HMX wont put it into the store.
  • Bob_BobbsonBob_Bobbson Unsigned
    edited May 2010
    weirdphil;3688904 said:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t13y3-yF65I

Been playing it for a while. It's up, but HMX wont put it into the store.
    Nope, it's been removed completely now. :(
  • ReygnierReygnier Opening Act
    edited May 2010
    It wouldn't suprise me that Ozone will get in more trouble just to try to put this song in RBN. It also wouldn't suprise me that HMX will get the rights to Power Rangers and put it in the store. Plus I don't know if Ron might want to even try it again after the whole ordeal that happened with Revengers.

But, I'm still crossing my fingers and lighting up candles over here :D
  • TheOzoneTheOzone Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    Can anyone see this post? It seems all my stuff's invisible.
  • darrekmis95darrekmis95 Opening Act
    edited May 2010
    moomandww;3688774 said:
    Wait, Nick is aring them!?!?! The same Nick we got Naked Brothers Band and Selena Gomez from!!?!?!

DEAR GOD THERES HOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    When did we ever get Selena Gomez?? She's from Disney anyways and so are Power Rangers.
  • Edify1Edify1 Rising Star
    edited May 2010
    darrekmis95;3689006 said:
    When did we ever get Selena Gomez?? She's from Disney anyways and so are Power Rangers.
    Maybe he's thinking of Miranda Cosgrove? (Not sure if she's affiliated with Disney.)
  • Groudon199Groudon199 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
    edited May 2010
    Edify1;3689276 said:
    Maybe he's thinking of Miranda Cosgrove? (Not sure if she's affiliated with Disney.)
    That would make more sense. (She's not.)
  • DarkPh0enix1DarkPh0enix1 Opening Act
    edited May 2010
    epic win if this gets fully pulled off. and wouldn't it just be truly epic if we lost out on the minute and a half of revengers awesome but we ended up with the full 4 minutes of this? i'd consider that the best consolation prize in the history of this game.
  • KariodudeKariodude Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    Reygnier;3688985 said:
    It wouldn't suprise me that Ozone will get in more trouble just to try to put this song in RBN.
    People saying things like this must have absolutely no idea how any of this works.

If Saban gives permission for the Power Rangers song to be authored by Ozone, then there is no possible way that there could ever be a licensing problem. Saban owns Power Rangers so it's their call on what happens with everything Power Rangers related.

The whole problem with Revengers was that Ron wrote it for a series that never came to be. Since it was never attached to any show, the song belonged to him, but since the company that originally asked Ron to write the song wasn't happy about the song coming up, the best thing to do was just remove the song altogether and avoid any future problems.
  • Starfleet_RamboStarfleet_Rambo Headliner
    edited May 2010
    Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa! What is this?!

Lord I need mah Power Rangers theme in Rock Band!!
    edited May 2010
    Kariodude;3689491 said:

The whole problem with Revengers was that Ron wrote it for a series that never came to be. Since it was never attached to any show, the song belonged to him, but since the company that originally asked Ron to write the song wasn't happy about the song coming up, the best thing to do was just remove the song altogether and avoid any future problems.

The song actually was rejected it was supposed to be used for the upcoming Avengers cartoon on Cartoon Network. Marvel gave Ron permission to change the lyrics to remove any instances of mentioning Avengers at all.
  • KariodudeKariodude Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    Oh, well I guess I misunderstood what happened with that song.

Regardless, nothing like that could happen with the MMPR song. If Saban gives Ron and Ozone permission to author the song, it's impossible for any licensing issues to arise.
  • c-murphc-murph Rising Star
    edited May 2010
    I have a feeling Saban is going to be going all out with the PR Merchandise soon. All those MMPR episodes not out on DVD and Bluray...

I'm positive if there's enough a demand that we can get the MMPR Theme now!
    edited May 2010
    Was going to mention it was odd we hadn't heard from Ozone yet, but I can only imagine he's already heard the news and is hard at work on this. Crossing my fingers.
  • G_tarRoCK3RG_tarRoCK3R Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    So if Ozone does get the Power Rangers theme I might just have to buy a song from him....Oh well.

Hopefully HMX gets the rights! :D
    edited May 2010
    I smell a conspiracy... and it stinks. I refuse to check twitter while I'm at work. The forums has been the place where I get all my RBN info during the daytime.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited May 2010
    weirdphil;3690298 said:
    I smell a conspiracy... and it stinks.
    There ain't one. A user did something they shouldn't have, and was subsequently removed for doing so.

And if I recall, the tone of the main thread (ground zero if you will) was getting excessively hostile.
    edited May 2010
    Was under the impression the main thread was beginning to sound like a giant buzzkill than hostility. Well that's a bummer.
  • The-Dude1212The-Dude1212 Rising Star
    edited May 2010
    Guess that would explain why I can't find it.

What was it exactly Ozone did that he shouldn't have?
  • edited May 2010
    Guys - bans are not up for public discussion. That is a longstanding rule here on the forums. If a moderator has deleted a post of yours it has been done for a reason - reposting will only result in another deletion and persistent public discussion of bans or posting sensitive information related to a ban will result in that poster also taking a vacation from the forums.
This discussion has been closed.