Interesting Writeup About Tragic Kingdom

edited July 2010 in History of Rock
After the announcement of Tragic Kingdom as DLC, a pretty awesome piece went up on Jezebel. The writer went into detail about the weight of Tragic Kingdom in her teenage years and also discussed why it was that this particular album was something she wanted to play in RB solo.

You can check it out here:
http://jezebel.com/5534164/how-tragic-kingdom-saved-my-life

I'm curious forum goers - after reading through the article (or just my little blurb above) - what albums are your "belt out alone/feel empowered/get over a breakup" records?

Are there any albums that completely signify a certain period in your life? And if there are tracks from those albums in Rock Band - what did it feel like to play them the first time?

Also, what tracks do you tend to play solo in RB? Which ones with a group - are there any songs sung by a vocalist of the opposite gender that you really get into?

Any other thoughts on this piece?

Comments

• toymachineSHtoymachineSH Headliner
    edited May 2010
    Descendents - Everything Sucks

Album really spoke to me- each song was a different problem that most people encounter growing up.

Alienation, Unpopularity, Being "Just a Friend", Apathy, Drugs, Caffeine Addiction

Just really encompassed it all into one awesomely melodic package.

Also Dead Kennedys - Ill in The Head

Re: Rock Band though as lame as it sounds singing songs like Gone Away and Self Esteem were pretty awesome for me. I found that music at the turning point of my life- where I stopped listening to Dance music and became interested in Guitar driven music.
  • GammaShadeGammaShade Unsigned
    edited May 2010
    Green Day's American Idiot holds that place for me. To give away how old I'm not, it had just come out in my senior year of high school. Earlier that year, I got tangled in some stupid relationship/friendship drama that left me wondering if I'd ever actually be able to talk to this person as a friend again. I know, typical high school stuff, right? But after American Idiot came out, she and I went out to pick up copies for ourselves, then drove home singing everything at the tops of our lungs. It let me know that everything was going to be all right between us. It was a pretty heartwarming moment and it's one of the reasons I'm so excited for Green Day: Rock Band in the first place. I don't know if I'll have an emotional reaction quite as strong as Hortense's in that Jezebel article, but I'm eager to find out.
  • RockBandAideRockBandAide Opening Act
    edited May 2010
    Serj Tankian - Empty Walls

Helped me get through a tough divorce when the song originally came out. Couple meanings for that song based on the title and my last name. Belting out the vocals in Rock Band when released as DLC was somewhat cathartic, but I've moved on and it no longer means as much as it once did.

My "angsty" high school album was Stabbing Westward's "Wither, Blister, Burn & Peel." That was an emo album before there was emo!

Other songs that I have a close connection with (none in Rock Band... yet):
    The Gufs - Smile ("Can't get the girl" song... SPOILER: I ended up getting the girl) RBN song
    The Gufs - Beautiful Disaster ("OMG, that bad thing was the best thing that ever happened to me" song) RBN song
    Willy Porter - Watercolor (most romantic song ever... seriously)
    Foo Fighters - Next Year (came out my last year in college)
    Fuel - Hemorrage (rough break up song)
    Sister Hazel - Champagne High ("the one that got away" song)
    Toad the Wet Sprocket - Walk on the Ocean (Bitter high school song)
  • BunnyRabbit2BunnyRabbit2 Unsigned
    edited May 2010
    Easily the most important albums in my mind are the first two Daysend albums. They are an Australian metal band hardly anyone has heard of and I found them during my last year of high school. As a result, that first album always reminds me of the fun times had even though home life was extra rough on top of the normal crappy home life most people complain about.

The second album I found just after I got mugged a few years ago. It was a pretty crappy end tho the first half of a crappy year. The biggest loss in that wasn't the money or video games lost but the music I lost when the bastards took my ipod. The Warning was the first album I got after losing most of my music and the rest of the year from then on went a lot better.

I just got their third album and am hoping this signifies an already awesome year (PAX East, my first game finished, I'm going to Download Festival, me getting a new girlfriend) continuing to not suck.

Another big one is Crack the Skye by Mastodon. I got this one the week my first girlfriend dumped me and probably listened to it about a billion times over the next few months.

This might sound silly, but Bang Camaro reminds me of my time with that first girlfriend. It always seemed to come up on shuffle when she was round and I listened to both albums a lot when walking to and from hers. As a result, playing those songs in Rock Band is pretty much one of my favourite things to do.

As for other stuff in Rock Band, I tend to play Colony of Birchmen and Go Your Own Way on my own a lot more than with people. Everything else I encourage anybody standing near me at the time to join in with
  • edited May 2010
    Mine are all pretty scattered - and interesting in that they aren't singular representations of my musical tastes.

The big ones for me:
    One Hot Minute: RHCP
    This entire album got me through the very confusing, slightly awesome, but still always strangely dramatic, year that was eighth grade. I was the only kid I knew who didn't listen to straight pop or radio but the songs on this album about being weird, or lost, or just straight up crazy, were a total breath of fresh air. The accompanying videos really helped me step out of my shell and just enjoy being a bit of a weird kid.

Tiger Army III Ghost Tigers Rise
    My first "psychobilly" album. I was way late to the party on this one. I didn't discover these guys until I was a few years into my 20s and I was just blown away by Nick13's voice and the slap bass lines. Tiger Army is still one of my favorite bands - and because of listening to them I got into all sorts of other awesome artists like Mad Sin, Toy Dolls, and yes, Johnny Cash.

and finally:

Lily Allen, Alright Still
    A few years ago I had the worst freaking month in the worst gosh darn year of my life. Part of the series of calamities (that all happened at once) included a horrendously bad breakup. I won't go into details, but he cheated - his new lady was crazy - and she kind of stalked me...yup.
    This album helped me take everything in stride and look at it all with a bit of humor. Came out on the other end of the whole experience with a much better (more realistic) outlook on life, an actual sense of humor, and poised for one of the best years of my life.

As for ingame tracks, I loved learning that "We Care a Lot" was in the game. Faith No More was a band that I got into when I was really wee (some of you learned this in the last podcast) - so getting back into them via Rock Band was like flood of nostalgic excellence. Anytime I need a pick me up I just go wail on this for a bit.
  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited May 2010
    HMXThrasher;3690003 said:
    what albums are your "belt out alone/feel empowered/get over a breakup" records?
    oh god.... so many!

The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead
    The Smiths - The Smiths
    The Cure - Disintegration
    Beck - Sea Change
    Beck - Mutations
    The Replacements - Tim
    Iron & Wine - Our Endless Numbered Days
    Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake It's Morning
    of Montreal - Satanic Panic In The Attic
    The Magnetic Fields - Holiday
    The Magnetic Fields - i
    The Magnetic Fileds - 69 Love Songs
    The Mountain Goats - Tallahassee
    The Mountain Goats - The Sunset Tree
    The Mountain Goats - All Hail West Texas
    The Beatles - With The Beatles
    Joy Division - Closer
    Descendents - Milo Goes To College

and probably more i could be forgetting...
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited May 2010
    my three most nostalgia-inducing albums are...

nirvana - bleach (middle and high school, learning to play music, meeting several lifelong friends, my dad's heart attack, and puberty.)

bright eyes - fevers & mirrors (meeting my best friend, dropping out of college, entering my most successful relationship ever, and finding out i like drinking.)

xiu xiu - knife play (my 2nd apartment, most serious break up, first taste of unemployment, moving back near my hometown with new girlfriend, and finding out i like smoking even more than drinking)
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited May 2010
    Fates Warning - Disconnected

Did not really help me in any way, but the lyrical content and instrumentation relieves pent up stress (okay most of that is because of air drumming :p)

Blind Guardian - any album

Power metal just empowers you with energy (or at least me anyway) great way to reduce the effects of an energy drink ;)
  • dman2309dman2309 Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    I listened to Nirvana's MTV Unplugged in New York album before picking up a girl on my first date. It helped me calm down and was the exact soothing and therapeutic album I needed to relax. Also, once things didn't work out with her and me, I re-listened to it over and over to help me get over it all.

Pick Me Up is a great song to just play alone for feeling depressed and lovelorn.
    Also, I thank HMX for releasing American Music as the lyrics are quite inspiring and teenage angsty which I love about the Femmes.

NON RB songs: Ooh La La by Faces is imperative listening for more awkward teenage love issues.
  • StageBeansStageBeans Opening Act
    edited May 2010
    My earliest favorite album was Steve Vai's Alien Love Secrets. This was before I was even in elementary school, which clearly explains why my favorite song off of ALS was "Ya Yo Gak," which was a song built around Vai's son speaking baby nonsense. Perhaps it was hearing a kid like me sing on a real rock cd instead of some Raffi tape offered my little mind a glimpse of the excitement of playing music. Every time I listen to this album, I can remember first learning to air guitar to "Bad Horsie," and that's an important development for a young one.

Quite a bit later, in high school, I had begun to get past the long stretches populated only by Weird Al parodies when my dad brought along a few albums to listen to while he taught me how to drive. Now, we'd had Deep Purple's Machine Head since I was a little kid, but it took on a completely new dimension when I was actually speeding around an empty parking lot to "Highway Star." The rest of that album is classic, but that song is synonymous to me with experiencing firsthand the excitement of driving. It helps that I was learning on a rented mustang, too. And imagine my delight upon hearing that song first thing every time I turned on the first Rock Band. :D

The other album my dad took along that night was Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are DEVO! This album was strange and hilarious to me, and while "Uncontrollable Urge" contributed to the speed freak urge that I (like all new drivers) had, it was "Mongoloid" that I remember finally mastering the stick shift to. The strangeness of that album stuck with me and I remember recommending it to all of my friends, none of which listened to the copy I offered to lend them. Jerks.

I moved later on high school, and had a tough time fitting in. The first thing I did in the city I moved to was get a library card and check out a few cds, Beck's Guero being notable among them as the one I'd listen to almost every day. On the way to school, I'd listen to the first half of the cd- the poppy, happy, single side with "E-Pro" and "Girl" on it to try and get me excited for the possibilities of a new school. After a long, lonely day, I'd walk home and listen to the second half, populated by sadder songs like "Missing" and "Earthquake Weather." By the time I got home, the songs had returned to hopeful territory like "Scarecrow" and "Rental Car" and I was already feeling a little better about myself. That album got me through those tough first few weeks of a new school and it'll always remind me of that difficulty.

I had at least three other albums I wanted to talk about, but holy Life-Story, Batman. I think I went a little overboard.
  • overcookedbaconovercookedbacon Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    Are there any albums that completely signify a certain period in your life? And if there are tracks from those albums in Rock Band - what did it feel like to play them the first time?
    Prepare to be bombarded with the significant events in my life as told through music. Warning: Somewhat angst-filled personal stories to follow.

Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks and Johnny Cash - At San Quentin
    When I was young I used to go on vacation almost every year to visit some friends of my family in Kelowna (in British Columbia). I live in Calgary and we'd always drive out there (it's about an 8-10 hour drive if I remember correctly), and my dad always played those two albums every time.

I remember absolutely loving Johnny Cash, but not so much Bob Dylan because I thought he had a goofy voice (I love his music now, but his voice is still pretty goofy). Both albums bring up memories of driving through the mountains (and the Okanagan valley in particular) in the summertime, which is a beautiful place to be.

Gary Jules - Greetings From The Side
    I have really distinct memories of walking through my neighborhood at about 4:30-5:30 in the morning while listening to this album and thinking about this girl I was really into at the time. This girl was not a "first crush" or anything, but she was the first girl I really liked and connected with in any meaningful way. Later that day I more or less had my hopes crushed after finding out she was already dating someone, and I then walked home at about 9:30 PM or so and listened to the album again to cheer myself up. Both times I listened to the album I was by myself, it was dark out, and it was snowing. Now I'm reminded of this album (and that day) quite often whenever I'm walking alone at night in the snow.

Modest Mouse - Good News For People Who Love Bad News
    A couple years ago I was dating this girl who I was really close to, but ended up being absolutely crazy. I don't mean that in a general "my ex was crazy" sort of way either. She was a pathological liar, possibly manic-depressive, insanely codependent, and she varied between incredibly emotionally needy and completely emotionally detached. Needless to say things ended badly and I was pretty crushed by the whole thing.

The first time I remember feeling really happy after that was when me and a few friends went out to buy Rock Band 2 and ended up playing it for 10-12 solid hours. We had a blast, and I just remember absolutely loving the song "Float On" when we played it. I bought the album a few days later and it really helped me get through that breakup. That was actually my first introduction to Modest Mouse (a band that I am now a huge fan of), and ended up being a massive contributor in defining my taste in music.

Jens Lekman - Oh You're So Silent Jens
    The last year and a half or so that I lived with my parents was rough. My parents were going through some things, and were fighting with each other or with me almost constantly. It wasn't abusive or anything, just somewhat of a hostile environment and I felt trapped in it. I was also at a point in my life where I was very depressed, felt as though I had no direction, and despite having friends I felt very alone.

In addition to cheering me up immensely I felt as though I really connected with this album, and the song "Black Cab" in particular stood out for me. I can relate to pretty much the entire song, but one lyric in particular goes "I feel like going home, but at the same time I don't," and it felt like it described my situation perfectly. I wanted a place to go home to, but the home I was living in wasn't somewhere I wanted to be. I almost always listen to this album whenever I want to cheer myself up.

The National - High Violet
    Oddly enough I found myself really associating where I'm at in my life at the moment with the songs on High Violet (which is a huge part of why I enjoy it so much). I've always been able to relate to The National's lyrics, but never to the extent that I have with this album. The album itself is very brooding and somewhat depressing to listen to, but to me it feels like more of a transitional phase than anything else. Indeed the album contains several songs that seem to deal with accepting responsibilities, and facing your problems instead of running away. Overall I still have issues with some things that have been going on, but I finally feel as though I'm really beginning to face them.

/sadsackery.

Oh, and to anyone who actually read all of that: Congrats, you now know me better than most of my friends do...
  • iamtheddrmaniamtheddrman Merch-Table
    edited May 2010
    The first disc of Legacy (Boyz II Men's greatest hits) is awesome for getting through a breakup. When I broke up with my girlfriend my senior year of high school, it was just because we were growing in different directions. Even though it was a good thing, it still really hurt to break her heart (and mine in the process). My sister made me a mix CD that had "Doin' Just Fine" amongst other songs and it really helped me get through it.

Meteora - Linkin Park is my "angry" album. I don't care if it's "bad" music, it gets me fired up haha.

Back in Black - AC/DC is one that always gets me pumped up, so I play it a lot when I get frustrated (especially at work).

A Mark, A Brand, A Mission, A Scar - Dashboard Confessional is another good "I'm feeling down" album. I know I'll probably get grilled for even mentioning this album, but I really like it. Playing "Hands Down" for the first time in Rock Band was AWESOME even though the drums were way too hard for me at first.

...Somewhere More Familiar - Sister Hazel is a great lost love album too. While it isn't tied to one particular break up, it does remind me of my first couple of years in college. It's a really emotional album with great songs and some really good beats. Maybe we can get it into RB one day? :)

Yeah, so my stories are probably pretty lame, but there you have it.
  • BallisticJunkfoodBallisticJunkfood Headliner
    edited May 2010
    For me, Sam's Town by The Killers is probably the album that has had the greatest positive impact on my life. It was the album I listened to almost all the time during those high school years when I was shaping who I am today. It makes me feel amazing every time I listen to it. :)

Edit: That album can also be tagged as the single solitary reason why I have all the friends I do today.
    edited May 2010
    overcookedbacon;3691081 said:
    Prepare to be bombarded with the significant events in my life as told through music. Warning: Somewhat angst-filled personal stories to follow.

Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks and Johnny Cash - At San Quentin
    When I was young I used to go on vacation almost every year to visit some friends of my family in Kelowna (in British Columbia). I live in Calgary and we'd always drive out there (it's about an 8-10 hour drive if I remember correctly), and my dad always played those two albums every time.

I remember absolutely loving Johnny Cash, but not so much Bob Dylan because I thought he had a goofy voice (I love his music now, but his voice is still pretty goofy). Both albums bring up memories of driving through the mountains (and the Okanagan valley in particular) in the summertime, which is a beautiful place to be.

Gary Jules - Greetings From The Side
    I have really distinct memories of walking through my neighborhood at about 4:30-5:30 in the morning while listening to this album and thinking about this girl I was really into at the time. This girl was not a "first crush" or anything, but she was the first girl I really liked and connected with in any meaningful way. Later that day I more or less had my hopes crushed after finding out she was already dating someone, and I then walked home at about 9:30 PM or so and listened to the album again to cheer myself up. Both times I listened to the album I was by myself, it was dark out, and it was snowing. Now I'm reminded of this album (and that day) quite often whenever I'm walking alone at night in the snow.

Modest Mouse - Good News For People Who Love Bad News
    A couple years ago I was dating this girl who I was really close to, but ended up being absolutely crazy. I don't mean that in a general "my ex was crazy" sort of way either. She was a pathological liar, possibly manic-depressive, insanely codependent, and she varied between incredibly emotionally needy and completely emotionally detached. Needless to say things ended badly and I was pretty crushed by the whole thing.

The first time I remember feeling really happy after that was when me and a few friends went out to buy Rock Band 2 and ended up playing it for 10-12 solid hours. We had a blast, and I just remember absolutely loving the song "Float On" when we played it. I bought the album a few days later and it really helped me get through that breakup. That was actually my first introduction to Modest Mouse (a band that I am now a huge fan of), and ended up being a massive contributor in defining my taste in music.

[B]Jens Lekman - Oh You're So Silent Jens
    The last year and a half or so that I lived with my parents was rough. My parents were going through some things, and were fighting with each other or with me almost constantly. It wasn't abusive or anything, just somewhat of a hostile environment and I felt trapped in it. I was also at a point in my life where I was very depressed, felt as though I had no direction, and despite having friends I felt very alone.

In addition to cheering me up immensely I felt as though I really connected with this album, and the song "Black Cab" in particular stood out for me. I can relate to pretty much the entire song, but one lyric in particular goes "I feel like going home, but at the same time I don't," and it felt like it described my situation perfectly. I wanted a place to go home to, but the home I was living in wasn't somewhere I wanted to be. I almost always listen to this album whenever I want to cheer myself up.[/B]

The National - High Violet
    Oddly enough I found myself really associating where I'm at in my life at the moment with the songs on High Violet (which is a huge part of why I enjoy it so much). I've always been able to relate to The National's lyrics, but never to the extent that I have with this album. The album itself is very brooding and somewhat depressing to listen to, but to me it feels like more of a transitional phase than anything else. Indeed the album contains several songs that seem to deal with accepting responsibilities, and facing your problems instead of running away. Overall I still have issues with some things that have been going on, but I finally feel as though I'm really beginning to face them.

/sadsackery.

Oh, and to anyone who actually read all of that: Congrats, you now know me better than most of my friends do...
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

I F'ING LOVE JENS LEKMAN NOW!

made me :)
  • Lameboy19Lameboy19 Headliner
    edited May 2010
    neckermanncj;3691554 said:
    yellow
    my eyes exploded on that post

I'm curious forum goers - after reading through the article (or just my little blurb above) - what albums are your "belt out alone/feel empowered/get over a breakup" records?
    Jane Doe was probably the most life changing album I listened too after my most depressing break up, lately as I've dug deep into the depths of loneliness again I find Joy Division to recently be calming, and I've never heard a more happy depressing album that sings about nearly everything I've been through other than The Format's Dog Problems, I tend to turn too music while the loneliness overtakes me, well until I find another girl to chase after

and the only album to have a line where I actually felt like I could relate too was with Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Silence

"Take Your Sh*t and Leave and Take My Memories of Her With You"
    edited May 2010
    Lameboy19;3691563 said:
    my eyes exploded on that post
    better than that lime green. if you type or write anything in any color of green it means you're crazy.
  • ShadowEclipseShadowEclipse Banned
    edited May 2010
    How about not typing that big at all. I think that's the problem here.
  • edited May 2010
    The only reason to ever type like that is if Cream comes to Rock Band.
  • FrankieBFrankieB Unsigned
    edited May 2010
    I remember being around 12-13 years old, sitting on my bus on the way to and from school and hearing all of the other kids, along with my friends, talk about bands like Nirvana, Bush, Pearl Jam, etc., and wondering to myself why I hadn't really connected with any kind of music. I felt sorely left out and being the fat nerdy kid with thick glasses, tight cheap clothes, low self-esteem, velcro strapped sneakers, long curly ******ed looking hair and high grades didn't really help my situation.

So one day I made it a point to turn on MTV and watch music videos until I finally connected to something. The only bands I had ever liked previously were the Jackson 5 (My mother was obsessed with them. She had passed away when I was very young and listening to the Jacksons brought back fond memories of her and I) and New Kids on The Block (I heard one of their songs and liked it, a cousin bought me the tape and I ended up hating them with a passion). So I think you can understand why I felt left out and awkward throughout the early teenage years of my life. I'm also trying desperately hard to leave out the teasing from girls too...but I guess I just failed...

Anyways, after weeks and weeks of watching MTV and not really feeling anything...a new music video came out one day that immediately struck a chord in my chest. That video was Basket Case by Green Day.

I'm not sure exactly what it was or why, but it was like musical sex to my ears. I became obsessed. Every single time I came home and was aggravated over kids beating me up, girls throwing things at me or teasing me or people just generally treating me like crap, I would rewind to the recording I had on my cassette player and scream out my frustrations.

Shortly thereafter I heard Longview and could not get enough. I gathered up as many quarters, dimes and nickels as I could out of my bedroom stash (and some out of my cousin Nancy's which she doesn't know about to this day), rode my bike up to the nearest music store and bought the first album in my life. That album was, obviously enough, Dookie and proceeded to go home and wear out my ears listening to it over and over and over again.

Other bands followed. The Offspring's "Smash" came up next and Aerosmith's "Big Ones" were the next purchases I made. Throw in a little Coolio's "Gangsta's Paradise (Uncensored)" for good measure.

But 15 years later, nothing really has changed. My angry/vent frustration playlist has expanded, but Green Day is still the first band I go to to let go of the weight off my shoulders. There's a bit of Nimrod, Insomniac, American Idiot and now 21st Century Breakdown sprinkled in there, but the Dookie tracks are what started the journey that has been my transformation into awesomeness.

With that being sad, I seriously cannot express how much love, respect and admiration I have for the people at Harmonix. Through your work and games you have helped expand and change me in ways I never imagined.

June 8th absolutely cannot come fast enough.

Other notable albums, especially in the Rock Band catalog, would include some No Doubt and Rush, all of which I find myself playing on a daily basis. But I mostly just play what is semi-difficult in order to increase skills. I can imagine there will be a lot of tears rolling down my cheeks and memories flowing through my mind once I get my hands on Green Day: Rock Band.
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited May 2010

Jagged Little Pill and Exile in Guyville. Sometimes South of Heaven.
    You have no idea the joy I felt when Nothing's Shocking was released. This album was pretty much the thing that transformed me from a shy nerdy wallflower freak into the full fledged art-rock goddess I am today. I got it when I was 16, a few months after it had come out, and listened to it non-stop until Ritual de lo Habitual came out. 2 months later, after I got tired of listening to Three Days and Then She Did over and over again, Nothing's Shocking was back in. It was my answering machine message ("Leave a Message, I'll call you back"), my teen-angst catchphrase ("everybody's so full of ****"), my spiritual awakening ("the fountain was the best that you could be") and my -to this day- favorite stoner song of all time (that is, Summertime Rolls is). So when it came out on rock band, I was thrilled, and still am to this day. I play Pigs in Zen, Ocean Size, and, of course, Summertime Rolls, almost every time I play the game. People like to ***** about Jane's Addiction for whatever reason they make up this week, but in 1989, there was nothing else like it.
    Also, what tracks do you tend to play solo in RB? Which ones with a group - are there any songs sung by a vocalist of the opposite gender that you really get into?
    That depends on the group. I normally play drums, so I stick to songs that are challenging yet fun, without any necessarily personal connection (aside from the JA songs above, plus Weezer and the Siouxsie stuff). When I'm particularly drunk, I like to sing, though. And yes, like the author, I tend to pick personal tracks that I know so well that I don't need to read the lyrics or follow the melody bar. You Oughta Know is a great one, I remember one particularly bad night when I had just broken up with a boyfriend of 2 years and spent some time at home with a bottle of Bacardi, a box of tissues and the caterwauling of a woman scorned. I thought it was caterwauling, but I gold starred it on expert, couldn't have been that bad. :) I also did Our Truth, which had a bit of sentimental value because the ex and I were both big Lacuna Coil fans. I forget what else I did, it was a while ago and I didn't have that fifth of rum the next day...

Any other thoughts on this piece?
    Well written, and I agree with her, although not on Tragic Kingdom. I had moved on from alternative music long before this record came out. I would do it for Exile in Guyville. :)
  • edited May 2010
    These writeups are awesome you guys - thanks so much for sharing. I'm happy to say that after being in a huge musical rut the last few weeks I've actually been revisiting albums (Modest Mouse) and picking up a LOT of new stuff.
  • Bouffant_BettyBouffant_Betty Road Warrior
    edited May 2010

Meteora - Linkin Park is my "angry" album. I don't care if it's "bad" music, it gets me fired up haha.

Couldn't agree more with those two, not the modest mouse per se but that exact experience, though mine got far more twisted.

After said bitter breakup, I found myself listening to SFSGSW? and Rust In Peace alot, particularly In My Darkest Hour and obviously Tornado Of Souls.

Also, sad to say this, but my first ever bought album after getting harassed at school for being the fat, stupid, OCD, bisexual, thick framed glasses kid that never tried, never talked, never cared, blared music while staring into the sun....I am not making this up....was sadly Enema of the State....Alot of people complain bout too much Blink 182 in RB, ill agree, but I become overwhelmed every single time I play Adam's Song, only wish there was Aliens Exist as DLC, or the entire album.

As a teenager one day I was walking to school, razor blade in my pocket, fully meaning to off myself at school...I was being considerate to my mother by not getting blood on the carpet...but for some bizarre reason, I put that song on on the way to school.....And my urge to commit suicide....rapidly fell....I can't explain it...anyway.....

TLDR-adam song sad.
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    Let's just say I'm a huge Pinkerton nerd and no songs have hit me quite as hard as Why Bother, Falling for You, Across the Sea, or El Scorcho.
    Plus getting El Scorcho on RB made me :) :) :)
  • Bouffant_BettyBouffant_Betty Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    hiimSMAP;3693431 said:
    Let's just say I'm a huge Pinkerton nerd and no songs have hit me quite as hard as Why Bother, Falling for You, Across the Sea, or El Scorcho.
    Plus getting El Scorcho on RB made me :) :) :)
    My fiance is living with me currently in Australia, but 3 months and shes back in the US...You better believe Ive already got my music listening regime set out...Pinkerton, Pinkerton and more Pinkerton.
  • JB4GDIJB4GDI Rising Star
    edited May 2010
    Hey Thrasher,

That article was awesome, and I can think of another album that fits into the category the author mentioned.

Relient K - Forget and Not Slow Down

This is one of the most perfect breakup albums I’ve ever heard. Forget and Not Slow Down deals with the aftermath of the lead singer (Matt Thiessen) having his fianc
  • edited May 2010
    JB4GDI;3693525 said:

Also, if you ever look on the song request spreadsheet and notice someone spamming that song, it’s totally not me :D

-Jaime
    Ah - ha! I actually was crunching numbers on the sheet last week and noticed a big uptick in the "R"s section since I"d last been through it. Anomaly explained.

And Betty - no need to be embarrassed about Blink 182 - Adam's Song was a mainstage on my CD player when I was about 15 and helped me really get through some bum outs (including a year of losing a lot of my friends - accidental deaths, suicides, just bad luck). Different songs speak to us for different reasons.

I was thinking today that another album I forgot to mention was Tegan and Sara's The Con. The whole narrative/concept of the album especially the title track and songs like "I was married" were pivotal during a year when I was really "finding myself" and learning how to, as an adult, really stick to my guns and prioritize what was important in my life. I listened to it all throughout a year of lots of transitions - new jobs, new apartments, new friends/saying goodbye to old friends, etc...
  • dman2309dman2309 Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    I can't believe I forgot to mention Every Picture Tells a Story by Rod Stewart. The whole album is amazing. The title track is one of my favorite songs ever. "The women I've known I wouldn't let tie my shoe, they wouldn't give you the time of day" is such an inspired lyric and really spoke to me with all the relationships and girls I have known. I just love the whole meaning behind it that your life is what you make of it and everything happens for a reason. To keep your memories and learn from past mistakes.

Also, if you've noticed THAT song being requested a lot too, that was totally me. Guilty as charged.
  • ShadowEclipseShadowEclipse Banned
    edited May 2010
    One album that comes to mind is Hybrid Theory by Linkin Park.

When I originally got the album, I was already going through so much. My parents going through a divorce and me screwing up my knee. Overall, it was just towards the worst part of my life (and to think that I was like 12 at the time, heh). Now when I listen to them, the songs have more of a meaning than they did at the time. It's still one of my favorite albums of all time and I don't think that's going to change any time soon. When I heard that we were getting One Step Closer as a on-disc song from RB2, I literally jumped for joy! I hope we get more songs from that album, studio or live, I don't care!
  • edited May 2010
    When I was in high school, there were two albums that I usually listened to when dealing with existential angst, romantic troubles and all the other joys of being a teenager, and those were Little Earthquakes by Tori Amos and Brave by Marillion. The latter has remained a mainstay in my life that I listen to when I'm feeling down, even though it's not exactly a cheery album... but usually when I'm glum, the last thing I want to hear is peppy stuff. A more positive album from my youth is Monster by REM, since that always brings back memories of walks along the beach and in the forest during summer vacation.

I don't really have any particular album from my college period, although there is a bit of a 'holy trinity' of party songs from that time which I'd love to see in RB, which are A Forest by The Cure, Temple of Love by Sisters of Mercy, and She's In Parties by Bauhaus. I probably should add Eisb
  • ElegyElegy Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    While previous posters have definitely reminded me about my connections to American Idiot and Sam's Towns, I really find myself connecting the most with Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning.

There are so many varied messages on that album that I find myself connecting to on different days. I find Poison Oak very haunting, and Lua and Landlocked Blues really feed into my current feeling of being lost.

On a single song note;

There was a time when I lost it playing Gone Away on Rockband. I know the meaning of the song, and while the girl that I was utterly heartbroken over wasn't dead, we reached a point where we didn't talk because of decisions she made, and I just connected a lot with the song.

Also, that same girl, at times, resorts to self-harm to try to get away from pain, and the catalyst, at least for the last two years, was this utter dbag that she dated. When I figured out she was doing it one night, I left my dorm room to just drive around my college town, listening to Blink-182's greatest hits. Stay Together for the Kids came on...and I just started bawling, and again, this is me purposely misconstruing a song to fit the situation, but I started screaming along with the chorus, "So here's your holiday, I hope that you enjoy this time, it was" and instead of saying "mine", I said "hers"...I don't know, it's confusing to explain but essentially I was saying that the time that she spent with douchebag, and the fact that he took her v-card was just something she could never get back in a positive light.

Sorry for the novel.