I hate it when this happens.
  • vicious136vicious136 Rising Star
    edited April 2008
    Sveppi;577181 said:
    The machines are taking over!
    They already have.

• domer415domer415 Unsigned
    edited April 2008
    they start out friendly, and once they have our trust thats when they attack
  • TakeABowTakeABow Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    domer415;577227 said:
    they start out friendly, and once they have our trust thats when they attack
  • domer415domer415 Unsigned
    edited April 2008
    i don't think anybody has added any of thier b-sides songs, or i just don't feel like reading through all the post, but here are some

Host
    Easily
    Dead Star
    Fury
    Eternally Missed
    In Your World
    Shine
  • BonezBonez Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    Don't forget Glorious.
  • SveppiSveppi Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    Bonez;577286 said:
    Don't forget Glorious.
    I have a soft spot for Futurism. Also there's Spiral Static.
  • Asphyx1ateDAsphyx1ateD Unsigned
    edited April 2008
    domer415;577266 said:
    i don't think anybody has added any of thier b-sides songs, or i just don't feel like reading through all the post, but here are some

Host
    Easily
    Dead Star
    Fury
    Eternally Missed
    In Your World
    Shine
    I suggested Easily earlier, it'd be pretty amazing.
    Bonez;577286 said:
    Don't forget Glorious.
    Technically a bonus track for BHAR rather than a b-side...
  • BonezBonez Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    Those are sweet songs too. I'm loving Con-Science at the moment, but that wouldn't work because it's almost entirely piano. That's okay though, being able to play it makes up for it's un-Rock-Bandness.
    Asphyx1ateD" said:
    True, but it's still kinda hard to get a hold of, so it could be thrown in the b-side/rare mix.
  • Asphyx1ateDAsphyx1ateD Unsigned
    edited April 2008
    Only very "rocky" songs would suit Rock Band really... stuff like Citizen Erased, Crying Shame, The Small Print, etc.

As long as the songs chosen capture the extent of Matt's vocals (aka as long a they make it hell for the singer) then it's all good.
    edited April 2008
    Asphyx1ateD;577310 said:
    I suggested Easily earlier, it'd be pretty amazing.

Actually, Glorious was the b-side on the Invincible 7" vinyl.

Easily is also a great song:)
  • ColdplayerColdplayer Headliner
    edited April 2008
    I just watched HAARP and I kinda have mixed feelings. I didn't know every song but I really like the ones from Black Holes and some from Absolution, but there are some things I don't really like about Muse.

First, I have to say the good things. The concert was breathtaking, I mean the stage technique and the performance. Amazing. Balamy is definitely one of the best musicians I've ever seen, could play hardcore guitar soli with his eyes closed, has an amazing voice and is also a great pianist. The other band membrs are amazing as well, of course.

Now, to the criticism. Don't hate me, but I really have to say that many Muse songs really sound almost the same. You can probably say that about most bands, but I think I noticed that the most with Muse. For example Time Is Running out and Sing For Absolution kinda have the same sound, I mean, yeah, of course they sound like different songs, but they just are the same kind of songs.

It's hard to explain, but especially if you hear those songs for the first time, if you listen through the whole concert and don't know the songs, I think you will think that you hear the same songs over and over.

Of course there are also songs that stand out, like Invincible, Knights of Cydonia or Starlight. But there are also a few songs where people who don't know those songs really will say "Wait, didn't they play this already?"
    At least I said that about some songs, because, like I said, I didn't know every song and just listened through Absolution and Black Holes a few times.

And there is another thing I didn't like. Some parts of some songs are just NOISE for me. What Belamy does with the guitar, although it's really amazing what he can do, for me, is still just some noises that even hurt a little. I know if I would be in that crowd and listen to those parts in this concert, I would immediately think "hopefully this song stops soon". I even thought this a few times while watching HAARP today.

Don't get me wrong, I like Muse, and I really love the album Black Holes (and it's definitely better than almost everything that is in Rockband so far) but I think I know now why I didn't listen to Muse until now.

I can still say I dicovered the band for me, I will continue to listen to Muse and I will still love many of their songs, but I know why this band will never be my fav band. It's just too guitar heavy.

BTW, I never knew that Muse also did a cover of Feeling Good. I was really surprised.

Oh, and another thing, while they played Supermassive Blackhole, I notice a guy in the crowd who kinda looks like HMXSean!! lol
    Okay, it probably wasn't him, but still :p
    edited April 2008
    Coldplayer;577409 said:

Oh, and another thing, while they played Supermassive Blackhole, I notice a guy in the crowd who kinda looks like HMXSean!! lol
    I saw that guy too!

But I don't agree that their songs sound the same, except for some of the Showbiz era stuff. And are you sure you meant Sing for Absolution? Because I feel that it's nothing like Time is Running Out.
  • FatWilmaFatWilma Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    Coldplayer, its really wierd that u and i have such similar yet contrasting tastes for music, cause i'm right with u that i like Muse, but i couldn't ever say they were one of my favorite bands and its for totally different reasons than the ones u listed.

i have a hard time explaining why i like/dislike music (i know English isnt u're first language Coldplayer, and u're better at it than i am), but i think 1 of my major gripes with Muse is that they try too hard. i know that sounds kinda stupid, but i feel like they are such incredible musicians, i wish they would just let their songs sound more natural instead of trying to get such an epic sound out of every note, chorus, buildup, etc.

this is one of the major reasons i'm not too big on BH&R. i feel like they tried to go for such a BIG sound that they never really had to try to achieve before, it always just happened becuase they are such good musicians. idk, again, i'm not really good at explaining these things, i just wish Muse would take it back to the basics.
    edited April 2008
    Very good write up, Coldplayer. It's nice to see someone who has a different point of view share their feelings and not be afraid to disagree.

I can understand where you're coming from with the thought that a lot of their songs sound the same. There's a thin line between playing the same song over and over and having a "signature style". You are also correct in saying that this mode of thought can be applied to a lot of bands. This definitely depends on how much exposure you've had to the band in question. For example, the same can be said with relative accuracy about Radiohead, Coldplay, The Beatles, Rage Against the Machine, Disturbed, etc. However, once you really listen to the different songs from these bands, and I mean really listen, you'll realize that their songs are all very very different. It's just that the differences are much more subtle.

And just to show where I stand, I love every Muse song, and the same goes for Radiohead, Coldplay, and The Beatles. Just because they have a signature sound doesn't mean I ever get tired of it :)

As for the guitar noise you speak of, Matt does get a little [read: a lot] carried away in concert, especially during solos. Some may call it noise and I can't argue with that but I see it as creative use of feedback. Matt does a lot of really unique and revolutionary things with his guitar. IMO he's pushing the limits of what can come out of an electric guitar in the same way that Jimi Hendrix and Tom Morello have done before him.

Feeling Good is pretty awesome, isn't it? ^_^
  • xbadx1233xbadx1233 Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    Hey, has anyone heard that Muse is one of the top canadates to write the opening song for the next James Bond movie? I heard they were either gonna write an original or use Sing For Absolution
    edited April 2008
    FatWilma;577483 said:
    (i know English isnt u're first language Coldplayer, and u're better at it than i am)
    Haha, thanks ... although I just read my post again and immediately found some mistakes, but who cares. :p
    this is one of the major reasons i'm not too big on BH&R. i feel like they tried to go for such a BIG sound that they never really had to try to achieve before, it always just happened becuase they are such good musicians. idk, again, i'm not really good at explaining these things, i just wish Muse would take it back to the basics.
    Hm, I can't really say I dislike the fact that they try to sound epic. I like that. Although, maybe we mean the same thing. When Balamy uses all these weird guitar effects and you just hear all those loud noises he makes, that's what I don't really like.

@vicious: Maybe you can say it about some Radiohead songs, but Radiohead is actually one of the few bands that really has many different sounding songs. They really invent themselves new with almost every album. Especially when they released Kid A. And even In Rainbows is very different from Hail To The Thief, if you ask me.
    But of course, most bands will always have a signature sound, especially because the singers voice never changes.

About the guitar noise - I think it's amazing what Balamy does with the guitar, but I just don't think that the sound of an electric guitar is so nice, that someone needs to even make it louder, longer and heavier.

@Sveppi: Yeah, I mean those two songs, but their are also some others who kinda sound the same for me.
    edited April 2008
    xbadx1233;577537 said:
    Hey, has anyone heard that Muse is one of the top canadates to write the opening song for the next James Bond movie? I heard they were either gonna write an original or use Sing For Absolution
    Really? I heard that it would be Amy Winehouse, and why would they use Sing for Absolution? The Bond songs are always original compositions, right?

@Coldplayer: I respect your opinion on their music. I personally love the freaky guitar noises Matt makes :)
  • toomasiotoomasio Unsigned
    edited April 2008
    holy 135 pages....nice
    edited April 2008
    toomasio;577753 said:
    holy 135 pages....nice
    I know right? This thread is so awesome.

Give us a Muse pack next week! C'mon HMX I know you want to :) No better way to reach the 100th DLC song, right?
  • MusePTMusePT Rising Star
    edited April 2008
    Coldplayer;577409 said:
    I just watched HAARP and I kinda have mixed feelings. I didn't know every song but I really like the ones from Black Holes and some from Absolution, but there are some things I don't really like about Muse.

First, I have to say the good things. The concert was breathtaking, I mean the stage technique and the performance. Amazing. Balamy is definitely one of the best musicians I've ever seen, could play hardcore guitar soli with his eyes closed, has an amazing voice and is also a great pianist. The other band membrs are amazing as well, of course.

Now, to the criticism. Don't hate me, but I really have to say that many Muse songs really sound almost the same. You can probably say that about most bands, but I think I noticed that the most with Muse. For example Time Is Running out and Sing For Absolution kinda have the same sound, I mean, yeah, of course they sound like different songs, but they just are the same kind of songs.

It's hard to explain, but especially if you hear those songs for the first time, if you listen through the whole concert and don't know the songs, I think you will think that you hear the same songs over and over.

Of course there are also songs that stand out, like Invincible, Knights of Cydonia or Starlight. But there are also a few songs where people who don't know those songs really will say "Wait, didn't they play this already?"
    At least I said that about some songs, because, like I said, I didn't know every song and just listened through Absolution and Black Holes a few times.

And there is another thing I didn't like. Some parts of some songs are just NOISE for me. What Belamy does with the guitar, although it's really amazing what he can do, for me, is still just some noises that even hurt a little. I know if I would be in that crowd and listen to those parts in this concert, I would immediately think "hopefully this song stops soon". I even thought this a few times while watching HAARP today.

Don't get me wrong, I like Muse, and I really love the album Black Holes (and it's definitely better than almost everything that is in Rockband so far) but I think I know now why I didn't listen to Muse until now.

I can still say I dicovered the band for me, I will continue to listen to Muse and I will still love many of their songs, but I know why this band will never be my fav band. It's just too guitar heavy.

BTW, I never knew that Muse also did a cover of Feeling Good. I was really surprised.

I can't agree with you when you say the musics are alike... specially those two you mention!!!! I can say from the 4 albums the BH&R is the one I like the least (that doesn't mean that I don't like it), it's the most "Commercial/Pop" Muse album and it's very easy to see that from how many people that never heard of Muse before are in to the band since this last album, specially from songs like "Starlight", "Supermassive Black Hole", "Invincible"... So that's probably why you are more into this last album...

what you say about the songs sounding the same is exactly what I think of Radiohead... songs without "force", songs too mellow and that seam to drag themselves in agony... It's hard to understand what Tom is saying in a lot of songs... I fell that music from Radiohead lack "power", "Strength"... and I fell the same about Coldplay...

I really don't understand why so many people say that Muse and Radiohead are very much alike... I don't see any similarity... Muse as Power... Radiohead doesn't... Muse is uplifting, makes us want to "get up and change the world" but radiohead makes me want to sit down and fell depressed...

I see Radiohead much like I see Coldplay... those two to me are very alike...

And I don't mean no disrespect... it's just my opinion... I like some Radiohead songs a lot, like "Creep", "Idioteque", Fake Plastic Trees" but I think they are overrated... like U2 is the most overrated band ever!!! (but that's another discussion!! :p)

Muse Rocks my Socks Off!!!!!!!
  • BubblegumBubblegum Rising Star
    edited April 2008
    Ooh, basis for wholesome discussion.

I'll have to disagree that Time Is Running Out and Sing For Absolution sound similar. I'll take that the former and Hysteria sound kind of similar, but I never thought that about Sing for Absolution.
    Also, it's a first impression. Songs tend to run together the first time through because, obviously, there's more to notice than you can take in the first time through.
    Showbiz does sound a little samey, and Origin of Symmetry and Absolution have a pretty high degree of consistency, but... I really can't say the same thing about Black Holes and Revelations, it's quite varied. Anyway, the albums themselves are very different from each other, at least in my opinion.

They do make a lot of noise. If I had to put forth one critique on Muse, that would probably be it. Then again, I was practically raised in a choir, and it's embedded in me the notion that noise and dissonance = bad, and that feedback is something we try to avoid when amplifying the pathetically quiet choir in the church with no acoustics. ><;
    But almost because of Muse, I've grown to tolerate and in some cases like noise and the use of feedback to create a distinct sound. It's very different in concert, too, and in HAARP at least, Bellamy gets carried away with the guitar at times.

Muse gets epic pretty often, and I can't say that makes me like them any more or less. It's just something they do. (One thing I have noticed, though, is that the epic-ness of one of their songs or albums is proportionate to the epic-ness of the title. Their album titles escalate in epic-ness, as do the albums themselves. Butterflies and Hurricanes and Knights of Cydonia sound like they ought to be pretty epic songs, and they sound very epic.)
    edited April 2008
    @MusePT: Hm, well, that's your opinion. I can agree with you that they are different.

I agree, Muse is more power, but I would'nt call Radiohead depressing, instead I would call them more "Feeling" and "emotional".

So, Muse has more power, Radiohead more feeling, IMO.

What I think, do both bands have is complex and great music. Yorke and Balamy are both great songwriters and great musicians. I hope I can write extensive music like they do one day.

@Bubblegum: Reading your post now... EDIT: All I can say is, good post. :D
  • stxbomber191stxbomber191 Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    Sveppi;577773 said:
    I know right? This thread is so awesome.

Give us a Muse pack next week! C'mon HMX I know you want to :) No better way to reach the 100th DLC song, right?

I'm afraid that won't happen, as releasing a Muse pack before the Euro release would undercut the exclusives as much as giving them to the US before Europe.

But I do expect either a Muse pack or even full album (Origin plz) by the end of June.
    edited April 2008
    Well, at least Hysteria is definitely coming very soon.

But I highly doubt there will be a full album so early. They already announced the albums coming in the next months. Judas Priest in April, Cars in May and Pixies in June. Don't think they will release two albums in one month.
  • FatWilmaFatWilma Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    Coldplayer;578050 said:
    So, Muse has more power, Radiohead more feeling, IMO.
    bam, u nailed it right there.

MusePT, i can understand that u like more energetic music, but are u really trying to get up and change the world everytime u're listening to something?
    edited April 2008
    One could say the same about the Oasis pack released many moons ago.
    But I guess it's getting to be too close to the release of the European tracks to release more Muse, and it'll be a bit after that before Muse will be a safe release again.
    They've got to release the other full albums before they get to any Muse, too.

Coldplayer: Thank you. :]
    edited April 2008
    Bubblegum;578127 said:
    One could say the same about the Oasis pack released many moons ago.
    But I guess it's getting to be too close to the release of the European tracks to release more Muse, and it'll be a bit after that before Muse will be a safe release again.
    They've got to release the other full albums before they get to any Muse, too.

Coldplayer: Thank you. :]
    Do you remember when the EU exclusives were leaked and this forum exploded with the wrath of Americans that wanted those songs and Europeans who wanted something special because of the crap they've had to go through to get the game? If they bust out some Muse, or worse, Hysteria itself, as DLC int he States before the EU release there will be an uproar like you wouldn't believe. We should be patient. The Muse will definitely come. I'd rather have to wait a bit than have it and feel even crappier about my friends in Europe and their RB situation.

On another note, I want to say that the current discussion is exactly why I like posting in this thread in particular. Here, I feel like you can say what your opinion is and not have to worry about getting flamed by people who fly off the handle as soon as someone says anything negative about what they like. So thanks Coldplayer and thanks everyone else!

Where's TakeABow and his cookies when you need him?
  • stxbomber191stxbomber191 Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    Actually, I think I'd rather not get Euro DLC and get a Muse pack after the Euro release.

Because I prefer about 8 songs to Hysteria anyway.
    edited April 2008
    Oh, gosh, I remember that. :eek: That was hysteria in and of itself (And that was terrible.)
    Well, we know Hysteria won't come out until after the European release. (Or simultaneously, but I doubt it'll be that quick.) If that happened, not only would I feel awful for the Europeans for getting their exclusives before they do (Really. As an American 360 owner, I feel bad for people all over the place, but the Europeans... they've been waiting forever, they deserve their exclusives before we do. Provided we get them, that is, otherwise I'd just be genuinely pissed off.), but these forums would be practically inaccessible because of all the bickering people would be doing regarding the tracks.
    I'm waiting patiently (I'm on a roll here) for Hysteria, and that's that; I've got other ways to bide my time (studying for finals comes to mind, but eh. There's no reason I couldn't pass them if they were put in front of me now.). As for more Muse, I can wait for a while. Hysteria will keep me occupied for some time until they throw us something else.