30+ yro players who purchase from RBN

BlasteroidsBlasteroids Road Warrior
edited May 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Tonight I decided to preview tracks on RBN. First I chose Top 50. Then I chose HMX top 50. I would love to support new groups and RBN, but from what I found tonight is that Death Metal is the most 'shown' group. I wanted to write more but beer took care of that, Death+-metal is ok (for students (Yes, I was one of them once) who want to feel unique) but simple mainstream songs (not always mainstream, but I am trying to appeal to a winder community) are what people would like to hear. Honeslty, I would prefer to play a fun-easy chart on drums than an elite-tier drums that are made to remove you from the main body of a song.

Perhaps I am just an old drunk and should STFU now ;)

Comments

• LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited May 2010
    Try just browsing by genre and looking at genres other than Metal.
  • weirdphilweirdphil Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    You can always check out my YouTube channel or the Our favorite drum charts thread for reference, I've got about 57 RBN drum charts up there atm. There's a bunch of good drumming songs up there that aren't all death metal. I rarely pick those ones up.
  • jawillroyjawillroy Rising Star
    edited May 2010
    DUDE.

Dude, dude, dude.

Paper Valentines and Shiny Dark Bar. If you're a drunk 30+ year old, go for music written by a 40 year old drunk. You cannot lose.

You really can't.

~JWR
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    jawillroy;3694049 said:
    DUDE.

Dude, dude, dude.

Paper Valentines and Shiny Dark Bar. If you're a drunk 30+ year old, go for music written by a 40 year old drunk. You cannot lose.

You really can't.

~JWR
    Of course, there's no need for disclosure or anything...

RBN output is probably going to skew younger anyway. And metal (esp. of the Death variety) tends to also skew younger. There is also a dearth of that kind of music on offer as 'normal' DLC. Either the trend continues or it balances out over time.

But the same advice applies: Don't like it? Don't buy it.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited May 2010
    I'm 37.

I LOVE RBN.

But then I love a lot of different styles of music for someone my age.

So maybe I'm an anomaly.
  • RealMessiahRealMessiah Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    36...I own it all. RBN is not putting out all that much "mainstream", but there are a lot of good songs in there.

I own everything though, so I am not a real picky purchaser.

I just like music. Some of the "Visions" type stuff is tough on my ears, but I can suffer for a few minutes.

Actually, I only suffer for about half the song for "Visions" (FAIL).
  • MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited May 2010
    jawillroy;3694049 said:
    Paper Valentines and Shiny Dark Bar. If you're a drunk 30+ year old, go for music written by a 40 year old drunk.
    I can guarantee these songs have easy and fun drum parts. Played by a different 40 year old that also likes the drinky-drink on occasion!

Okay, so that's all I'm really *capable* of playing, and I don't even have a double-kick kit... ;)

Yeah, I got some technical prog/death in my collection (Cynic, Atheist, Pestilence: my unholy early 90's trinity). Love to listen to it, but I don't play RB for the challenge: it's more like "instrument karaoke" to me, a fun social experience.

(And yes, one would be at least partially correct that the reason why I don't like them is that I *can't* play songs that hard on RB! I'm man enough to admit that.)

A lot of folks are just in it for the twitch-gamer challenge, though. I can't fault 'em for having fun in they way they want to have fun!

Anyway, plugplugplug, Paper Valentines and Shiny Dark Bar are waiting for you at 80 msp each. If you're on PS3, well, we hope our tunes get ported over someday. Not holding our breath, though, as it *does* seem that already-popular and technically challenging songs are first in line...

- m
  • Lord_MhoramLord_Mhoram Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    I'm 43. I generally get about 35% of the RBN tracks (it just sort of falls out that way).

I play the demo for every song. I have wide tastes and like most everything. Yeah, I don't care for Cookie Monster vocals, so I don't buy those. Things I like I buy.

There have been some amazing tracks come out. I'm enjoying all my extra music.
  • jimburyjimbury Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    there are absolutely tons of melodic tunes on rbn now, and while i enjoy a good thrash as much as the next man i also enjoy playing simpler stuff too, and there is an abundance if you dig and i'm sure plenty more to come

incidentally i'm in my 40s too and loving rbn for introducing me to so much good music i'd otherwise never get the chance to hear.
  • BlasteroidsBlasteroids Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    weirdphil;3693958 said:
    You can always check out my YouTube channel or the Our favorite drum charts thread for reference, I've got about 57 RBN drum charts up there atm. There's a bunch of good drumming songs up there that aren't all death metal. I rarely pick those ones up.
    Thanks for those, guess I need to spend some time watching them.
    jawillroy;3694049 said:

You really can't.

~JWR
    I actually do not remember making this thread :eek: Must have been a good night ;) From my first 3 RBN purchases, those were 2 of them :cool:
  • MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited May 2010
    Blasteroids;3695044 said:
    I actually do not remember making this thread :eek: Must have been a good night ;) From my first 3 RBN purchases, those were 2 of them :cool:
    The Power of BOOZE compels you! :D

A good night indeed!

Cheers,
    - m
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited May 2010
    weirdphil;3693958 said:
    What he said. Note in the drum charts thread it is broken up by tier, and it has all the genres listed so you can just quickly find something you like. Im not a fan of metal so I understand why its kinda hard to navigate in the store and look for genres you are more into.

I just but it by language, it makes the list in alphabetical order. And there are only 3 or 4 pages to go through.

Good luck.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited May 2010
    I don't think age is really attached to this at all.

I mean I'm 29...
  • folkeyefolkeye Headliner
    edited May 2010
    noble;3694193 said:
    I'm 37.

I LOVE RBN.

But then I love a lot of different styles of music for someone my age.

So maybe I'm an anomaly.
    Are you contagious? Can you rub off on me? :D
  • edited May 2010
    I'm over 30, and I'll take a large chunk of the RBN releases, most notably the 'death metal', over 'mainstream' songs any day of the week.
  • SkodeSkode Headliner
    edited May 2010
    Death Metal overall is vastly under represented on the main RB DLC front... its quite amusing as such to see it being over represented to many on the RBN.

Funny how these things work out isnt it :cool:
  • RincewiendRincewiend Opening Act
    edited May 2010
    36 years old and i have 9 of the 14 songs that are on the EU PS3 RBN...
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited May 2010
    Being... well, over 40 anyway. There are a lot of songs that I simply can't stand on RBN. I used to think my musical tastes were very diversified, but I have found the older I get the more I like a specific type of music. Mostly it has to do with the vocals, there must be a melody that I enjoy. So, screaming just doesn't cut it... even though I like Psychosocial by Slipknot a lot. Don't mind screaming as am emphasis to a vocal.

Anyway, got sidetracked. I have not bought a lot of RBN songs, but here is what I have picked up so far and I highly recommend each of these songs:

500 Miles to Memphis - "All My Friends Are Crazy"
    Bang Camaro - "Push Push (Lady Lightning)"
    Cliks, The - "Dirty King"
    Dirty Love Band, The - "Moonboy"
    Drowning Pool - "Bodies"
    Father Octopus - "Blink"
    Finger Eleven - "Paralyzer"
    Flogging Molly - "Drunken Lullabies (Live)"
    Flogging Molly - "Requiem for a Dying Song"
    Marillion - "Whatever Is Wrong With You"
    Midnight Riders - "Bad Man"
    Midnight Riders - "Midnight Ride"
    Quartered - "Africa"
    Seether - "Remedy"
    Third Eye Blind - "Jumper 09"
    Third Eye Blind - "Never Let You Go 09"
    Third Eye Blind - "Semi-Charmed Life 09"
    Tijuana Sweetheart - "Trash Candy"
    Tumbledown - "Homeward Bound"

OH, and I just put this one in my que to download this afternoon:
    All Time Low - "Walls"
    edited May 2010
    folkeye;3699404 said:
    Are you contagious? Can you rub off on me? :D

I might be contagious :D

The CDC has me on lockdown :eek::p
  • XxxadxxXXxxadxxX Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    I'm in my thirties. I have a wide range of music from RBN. I love the thrash and other metal stuff, but only if the vocals are not 100% talkie.
  • HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
    edited May 2010
    You might want to check out the HMX/Creators' Club recommendations on the 'Zine. The recommendations are pretty varied, and certainly not just death metal (my personal weaknesses are for alternative, indie rock, and prog rock).

http://www.rockband.com/zine/category/rbn
  • Pizza7Pizza7 Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    Buy the 2 Clutch songs.
  • edited May 2010
    HMXLachesis;3700620 said:
    (my personal weaknesses are for alternative, indie rock, and prog rock).
    Good woman/experimental HMX AI entity. :D
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited May 2010
    35, very soon to be 36, and I've bought a few tracks off the RBN. Steve Vai (obvious?), Jonathan Coulton, and the Apples in stereo all have some awesome RBN offerings. My roommate, older than I am, also liked seeing Demon Hunter and Family Force 5 make the game.
  • Sick RickSick Rick Unsigned
    edited May 2010
    Band name, Steve Vai, genera choice, I'm 40.
  • xXPM5KXxxXPM5KXx Opening Act
    edited May 2010
    Blasteroids;3693896 said:
    Death+-metal is ok (for students (Yes, I was one of them once) who want to feel unique) but simple mainstream songs (not always mainstream, but I am trying to appeal to a winder community) are what people would like to hear.
    Theres about 65 songs in the "metal" category (which includes extremely mainstream band Seether) out of the 300 or so songs. Look at the other 240 songs.
    Also age means nothing for musical tastes for thousands of people. If metal is for students, then why are there hundreds of metal bands in their 30's+? and why bother making certain shows legal age only? Why is it when you I go to a metal show 50% look to be 25-40?

Im sorry I just find it ignorant when people say certain music is only for a certain age group. Kids and teens can listen to classic rock, classical, jazz etc just like adults can listen to metal, punk etc
  • AlkutezioAlkutezio Unsigned
    edited May 2010
    i think the RBN is a great thing but my main problem is songs you buy show up in the Rock Band 2 folder and not the usual Rock Band folder so these songs don't show up in challenges or career mode. i'm 31 and already listen to a LOT of music / bands so it's hard for me to get into new ones but i sometimes do so a lot of RBN consists of bands i've never heard of. but then we get stuff like Flight of the Conchords and Third Eye Blind and i'm left wanting more of them!! plus i keep hearing about other bands / songs like Smashing Pumpkins, Blondie, Billy Idol, Lemon Demon, Evanescence, etc. that are supposed to be coming soon to RBN but never show up so that's depressing
    edited May 2010
    Alkutezio;3716582 said:
    i think the RBN is a great thing but my main problem is songs you buy show up in the Rock Band 2 folder and not the usual Rock Band folder so these songs don't show up in challenges or career mode. i'm 31 and already listen to a LOT of music / bands so it's hard for me to get into new ones but i sometimes do so a lot of RBN consists of bands i've never heard of. but then we get stuff like Flight of the Conchords and Third Eye Blind and i'm left wanting more of them!! plus i keep hearing about other bands / songs like Smashing Pumpkins, Blondie, Billy Idol, Lemon Demon, Evanescence, etc. that are supposed to be coming soon to RBN but never show up so that's depressing

Psssttt....just because you've never heard them doesn't mean they aren't good.

Every single band I listen to now...at one point I had never heard them.

That goes for every single band you and everybody else on the planet like as well.

EVERY band was unheard at one point.
  • AlkutezioAlkutezio Unsigned
    edited May 2010
    oh i know that, it's just i don't always feel like sifting through all the songs and downloading demos, i mostly just look for songs i like and buy those.
  • edited May 2010
    Don't take the top 50 list as representative of the whole library genre-wise. And just because a song does not make the top 50 does not mean it is a bad song. I own lots of non top 50 songs and enjoy many of them.