The effect of the $3 price tag for "When I Get Home You're So Dead"

kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
edited May 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Okay, question of the day...

What effect is the $3 price tag having on "When I Get Home You're So Dead" by Mayday Parade?

For a look at how it's doing you can look here.

As you can see, this track is hanging on at a pretty respectable level actually going up the chart this week instead of downwards like many of the songs around it. So what does that $3 price tag mean?

Is it...

A) Hurting the sales of the track big time, this track would be in the top 20 at a normal $2 price point!
B) Hurting the sales slightly, maybe dropping it 10 or so spots than regular.
C) Not having an effect. The sales are decent just as they should be.
D) Helping the sales of this track. People may be checking out what the $3 hype is all about.

Comments

• axelkotheaxelkothe Opening Act
    edited May 2010
    I think it's definately hurting the songs sales, but not as much as I would have expected. Myself I never even downloaded the demo because I will not pay $3 for a song, period (Most of my songs are $1, and only a few well chosen ones were $2. I prefer giving two $1 songs a chance instead of buying one for $2). But I think it overall doesn't really make a difference in the amount of money earned in the end.
  • kitlerckitlerc Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    I didn't really like the song anyway and probably wouldn't have bought it no matter the price.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited May 2010
    So kingtonyx points to the thread that shows the song is actually continuing it's climb up the charts...and people still think it's "hurting" the sales?

If it's having any affect, it's negligible...
  • axelkotheaxelkothe Opening Act
    edited May 2010
    T-Hybrid;3698294 said:
    So kingtonyx points to the thread that shows the song is actually continuing it's climb up the charts...and people still think it's "hurting" the sales?
    Well it has about 1600 scores. Thats good, but not incredible. I think theres a good chance at $2 it would have 2000 or more. So yes. It's definately hurting the sales. Wether it would sell 1.5 times the numbers it does now (to make the same amount of money), nobody knows.

less sales - sure
    less/more money - unclear
  • Lady SiaraLady Siara Metal Maiden
    edited May 2010
    T-Hybrid;3698294 said:

If it's having any affect, it's negligible...
    To be fair, we'll never know either way because this thread is purely hypothetical.

I can definitely say that I have no interest in the song when I can get 3 songs for the same price. This might change depending on if an artist that I really like comes out and charges 3 dollars per song, but for now, I'm not buying any 3 dollar song.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited May 2010
    axelkothe;3698311 said:
    Well it has about 1600 scores. Thats good, but not incredible. I think theres a good chance at $2 it would have 2000 or more. So yes. It's definately hurting the sales. Wether it would sell 1.5 times the numbers it does now (to make the same amount of money), nobody knows.
    So really then...this isn't a discussion, it's just an attempt to "prove" that $3 is a bad price?

Great. :rolleyes:
    Lady Siara;3698313 said:
    To be fair, we'll never know either way because this thread is purely hypothetical.
    The way I look at it, the song appears to already be in the top 50. Out of what, 200 songs? That's a pretty good showing considering how many people here were flying off the handle about "OMG $3!"

I'm also waiting for the chicken little scenario that those people were throwing out about how all RBN songs were going to be $3...or for those people to admit that they were way off mark with their vitrol.
  • KariodudeKariodude Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    The problem with price discussions is that it's all up to the person looking through the RBN store. You can't just say $3 is a bad idea in general because some songs for some people are worth $3. Just because you say to yourself "I'd never buy a $3 song" doesn't mean that no one will. I personally don't want to spend $3 on a song but if the right song came along I'd definitely shell out the cash.
  • silentknellsilentknell Opening Act
    edited May 2010
    Given that there is no way to know what could have happened if it was sold for $2, I'm going to go ahead and predict that those who have already expressed fear about some sort of trickling effect of $3 songs in the past (or those who just plainly detest the $3 pricing) are going to vote that it is hurting their sales, and those who have stated that artists and labels have the right to charge what they want are going to say that it either doesn't make any difference or it is helping their sales.

Basically, people are just going to continue to vote with their prior preconceived notion about the issue, and not change their minds about anything.
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    SystemSCSnake;3698244 said:
    I personally believe it's D. This track, being the only track on the market that is $3, makes people want to see why it is $3. As more and more tracks become available on RBN as $3, it will eventually turn into A, unless it's a song by someone like god-like like Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin.
    If you think it's D then why has no one chosen D?

I think it's only hurting sales a little bit. Looking at the charts, it seems price doesn't affect sales as much as people thought it would. I thought people would be insane to release RBN songs for $2, let alone $3, but the majority of the songs in the top 50 are $2. Personally, if I'm iffy on a song, and I see that it's $1, I will go ahead and buy it, but I seem to be in the minority.
  • Ralphy2009Ralphy2009 Opening Act
    edited May 2010
    T-Hybrid;3698294 said:
    Whether it's climbing or falling in the charts is ultimately irrelevant since there's no data for a "When I Get Home You're So Dead" priced at $1 or $2 to compare its current position to.

It's extremely difficult to gauge exactly how the price is affecting sales. I think the best way to determine pricing option effects would be for a relatively well-known artist to put out relatively well-known songs at different price options, released as closely together as possible. Otherwise, there's not much that we can really glean from the available data.

I think the obvious fact is that pricing a song at $3 will hurt the sales. The question, though, is whether the loss of sales by using that price point is offset by the amount of increased revenue for it to be worthwhile. There are many fictitious examples people use about selling 2000 songs at $2 and 1300 songs at $3 or whatever numbers they choose to make the math support their argument. While that type of "how many songs at this price" scenario is the essence of what record labels and artists are thinking about, the hard numbers are just not available.

If they think their sales at $3 will maximize profit (say the sales for popular songs are generally looking to be 2500 songs at $1, 1500 at $2, 1200 at $3), then they will use that price point. If they think their sales at $2 will maximize profit (say the sales for popular songs are generally looking to be 2500 songs at $1, 1800 at $2, 1000 at $3), then they will use that price point. Lastly, if they think their sales at $1 will maximize profit (say the sales for popular songs are generally looking to be 2500 songs at $1, 1200 at $2, 700 at $3), then they will use that price point.

That's all there is to it. As time goes by and labels/artists experiment with various price points, the sales trends for popular songs at different price points will be available for record labels and artists to consider in future pricing decisions for new songs and re-pricing current songs.
  • dmbdawdmbdaw Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    No effect. People want it bad enough they'll get it even for $3.
  • jawillroyjawillroy Rising Star
    edited May 2010
    It's really the wrong question, since it's impossible to answer with anything but guesswork. There's no control: everyone just sees what they want to see.

Frankly, for a band like Mayday Parade, with a big fan base, the $3 tag makes sense. They aren't using RBN to make fans: this is an additional income stream from people who are already fans.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited May 2010
    dmbdaw;3698421 said:
    No effect. People want it bad enough they'll get it even for $3.
    Yep, that is what I decided after seeing the song remain in the chart. I thought for sure a song at $3 would be detremental for sales, but it looks like I was wrong.

I still do not plan on ever buying a song at that price level since no "Official" song charted by Harmonix has been sold at $3. Heck, I think $2 is high enough, and on the verge of being too much for a song.

Anyway, since the sales for that song seem to be fairly good I can see more songs being sold at $3.
  • mbnasir6mbnasir6 Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    IMO its not too big
    Did you guys know that in the UK GH DLC costs £1.60 compared to £.99 for RB tracks, so not a big deal for us
  • BlasteroidsBlasteroids Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    I went for hurting sales because I have no interest in even looking at the chart since it is $3. Never heard of them, so even less likely to be bothered about it.
  • folkeyefolkeye Headliner
    edited May 2010
    I also agree if people like the song, they'll get it no matter the price. I haven't been following actual sales but is this the first $3.00 song?

Personally I checked it out to see if it was worth the $3.00. IMO no, it's not. I'd consider it if it was at $2.00
  • weirdphilweirdphil Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    I bought enough $1 and $2 songs that I figure $3 every now and then ain't gonna bankrupt me. And I think the song was pretty good.
  • Michelle452Michelle452 Unsigned
    edited May 2010
    Seems like a decent track, but no way I'll ever buy it for $3. Probably wouldn't even buy it for $2 since I've never heard of the band.
  • Deeznutzs27Deeznutzs27 Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    Like the song and it gets alot of play at my house so IMO its well worth the 3$.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited May 2010
    I think it'll be interesting to see if "Jamie All Over" is priced at $2.

That will be a good indicator if Fearless Records thinks the $3 price tag is working for them or not. "Jamie" is the bigger hit.
  • Ferocious QFerocious Q Headliner
    edited May 2010
    I would have bought it if it was 1 or even 2.
  • jimburyjimbury Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    no idea overall but i certainly won't be buying it. if people support what i consider overpricing then it will become more and more the norm.

just say no kids!
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    jawillroy;3698438 said:
    It's really the wrong question, since it's impossible to answer with anything but guesswork. There's no control: everyone just sees what they want to see.

Frankly, for a band like Mayday Parade, with a big fan base, the $3 tag makes sense. They aren't using RBN to make fans: this is an additional income stream from people who are already fans.
    I've never heard of them and would have definitely "discovered" them for $1 or $2.
  • itzJVitzJV Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    I hate $3 dollar prices for songs, and I hate bands with small egos willing to put a $3 price on their songs. It's their choice if they want more fans or not. If the price is cheaper, they'll get more people to buy their songs, which will lead to a higher chance of having more people buy their CDs if they like their music. A price like that scares many buyers away, unless they are a HUGE fan.
    edited May 2010
    NoThru22;3698964 said:
    I've never heard of them and would have definitely "discovered" them for $1 or $2.
    My youtube upload, even with it's lower quality sound when I recorded it back in late March, has 850 views, which is saying a lot because I don't normally get that many views on anything I upload, the next highest viewed on my youtube channel is Business Time at 176. Just in case you needed an example.
  • ant423ant423 Opening Act
    edited May 2010
    IMO, no band deserves a a song more than $2. The standard DLC songs that been released for almost 3 years now have always been priced (max) $2 and there have been some greats in there like Queen, The Who and Iron Maiden.

The only people who will suffer in this case are Mayday Parade's fans since they will eagerly buy the song regardless of the price and lose $1 on it. Non-fans will simply not buy it.
  • DarkEternal37DarkEternal37 Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    I was upset a bit that the song is 3 dollars because I love the song so much. But the fact of the matter is, if I'm going to buy it for 2, I'm going to buy it for 3. I don't want bands to take that approach in the future (as any money I can save is a plus!) but it didn't affect my thoughts on purchasing the song as a fan of the band.
  • fatalfiend37fatalfiend37 Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    I say it has no effect because no one wants to buy a three dollar song and because I would never pay any amount of money for anything Mayday Parade, in fact I wouldn't let someone pay ME to buy it.
    edited May 2010
    fatalfiend37;3699356 said:
    no one wants to buy a three dollar song
    According to Keldon's site, 2,629 have high scores posted on that song. Is that nobody?
    And there's at least two videos up on youtube.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IXY-b8Gigo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHpTe1igQkQ
  • shayboshaybo Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    I buy lots of RBN songs at 80 msp just because they are cheap and sound "OK".

But if there's a song that I hear and then like, I'd pay $5 (more for songs I really wanted) without thinking. I bought the Mayday Parade song and hadn't heard it before RBN.

I'm sure I'm an outlier though.