Recording my first song next week!

kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
edited August 2010 in The Rock Band Network
http://www.myspace.com/iamkingtony - For any updates + a song clip!

Doing some brainstorming and instrument work starting tomorrow and then vocals next week. :)

I should have some more info about the genre of music and what not come tomorrow but I am specifically going for a "Rock Band friendly" vibe. There will probably also be a mix of clean and screamed vocals. Probably a solo or two :p I'm a fan of pop-punk, powerpop, metalcore, punk, etc so it'll probably be some sort of mix of these but I will probably try to throw a twist in there too.

I'm no good at the authoring bit, so I'll be thinking over which studio to send the track off to.

Any suggestions?

Comments

  • yaniv297yaniv297 Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    Hmm I'll use this thread to ask something... I'm recording an album with my long-time band, going great so far, and I was thinking of recording english versions of the songs for RB... so if I have a song, masters, rights, and everything and I want to send a track or two to RBN... do I just send it to a studio and they do it for a chunk of the sales? Or do I need to actually pay them to chart my songs?

    BTW we have one of the best drummers in the whole country, for sure.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited May 2010
    yaniv297;3706547 said:
    Hmm I'll use this thread to ask something... I'm recording an album with my long-time band, going great so far, and I was thinking of recording english versions of the songs for RB... so if I have a song, masters, rights, and everything and I want to send a track or two to RBN... do I just send it to a studio and they do it for a chunk of the sales? Or do I need to actually pay them to chart my songs?

    BTW we have one of the best drummers in the whole country, for sure.
    Different studios have different pricing plans. Some are commission based, some are completely up-front pricing, some offer a combination of the two. Some offer things outside of the actual authoring as well. You just have to do a bit of research.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited May 2010
    Got a rough draft of an intro, first verse, and prechorus today. Sounding real good so far. Inspirations for this song are Story Of The Year, Damone, and All Time Low.

    We're gonna try to work in a drum solo and a guitar solo or two also.
  • overdriveguitarmanoverdriveguitarman The Walrus
    edited May 2010
    How are you recording it? A studio?
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited May 2010
    overdriveguitarman;3709457 said:
    How are you recording it? A studio?
    at my friend's house, he has pro equipment

    if I don't think it's good enough quality maybe I'll take it to a studio or something, but I think it'll be just fine
  • Coltfan1223Coltfan1223 Rising Star
    edited May 2010
    I'm looking forward to this. Story of the Year and All Time Low are some of my fav bands. So if it is anything like them, I'd likely download it, especially if it is only $1.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited May 2010
    Coltfan1223;3709672 said:
    I'm looking forward to this. Story of the Year and All Time Low are some of my fav bands. So if it is anything like them, I'd likely download it, especially if it is only $1.
    :D thanks a ton! hopefully it will come out great
  • weeyooweeyoo Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    What instrument do you play? Also, does your band have a website such as Myspace that I can preview your songs?
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited May 2010
    weeyoo;3709782 said:
    What instrument do you play? Also, does your band have a website such as Myspace that I can preview your songs?
    I am a vocalist. This is my first song, so no MySpace yet. Soon though. I might actually whip that up tonight or tomorrow so it's ready.
  • JRDBlackDragonJRDBlackDragon Rising Star
    edited May 2010
    i was planning on doing something like this awhile ago,my brother has the equipment,and i could actually play the guitar now so for sure,if i get it finish,its going up for free

    i should warn people this could be an instrumental and difficult on guitar

    1 thing though,i could chart the instruments myself right?
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited May 2010
    JRDBlackDragon;3710090 said:
    i was planning on doing something like this awhile ago,my brother has the equipment,and i could actually play the guitar now so for sure,if i get it finish,its going up for free

    i should warn people this could be an instrumental and difficult on guitar

    1 thing though,i could chart the instruments myself right?

    REAPER is $60, but sure

    and you can't put tracks up for free! $1 $2 or $3 are the options
  • JRDBlackDragonJRDBlackDragon Rising Star
    edited May 2010
    kingtonyx;3710152 said:

    REAPER is $60, but sure

    and you can't put tracks up for free! $1 $2 or $3 are the options
    $1 makes it harder,now i need to come up with something better,so people could actually download it
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited May 2010
    JRDBlackDragon;3710600 said:
    $1 makes it harder,now i need to come up with something better,so people could actually download it
    :p

    good luck :)
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited May 2010
    weeyoo;3709782 said:
    What instrument do you play? Also, does your band have a website such as Myspace that I can preview your songs?
    no music up yet (probably within 2 weeks or so) but...

    http://www.myspace.com/IAmKingTony

    I still need to put together a layout, probably this week.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited June 2010
    You can kinda hear part of the new song in this video.
  • overdriveguitarmanoverdriveguitarman The Walrus
    edited June 2010
    kingtonyx;3737292 said:
    You can kinda hear part of the new song in this video.
    From what I can hear it sounds great! Did you record all the instruments yourself?
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited June 2010
    overdriveguitarman;3737339 said:
    From what I can hear it sounds great! Did you record all the instruments yourself?
    My friend Subrose is writing and recording all of the instruments. I'll be co-writing on the lyrics and doing vocals. Drums are created by Reason, because we don't have anywhere to record drums at and really I figure this way it will be easier to make a good-for-RB drum part. At first I thought it could have a negative effect on the sound but the drums sound legit.
  • dman2309dman2309 Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    I actually really enjoyed the sound from the preview video. I'll have to pick this one up when it debuts. Keep up the good work!
  • Tego1inTego1in Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    I'd like to make my songs in RBN but there not up to par quality.
    Mainly because my drum set is 200$
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited June 2010
    dman2309;3737383 said:
    I actually really enjoyed the sound from the preview video. I'll have to pick this one up when it debuts. Keep up the good work!
    Thanks! When the instrumental is done and mixed properly I will post it up here :)
    Tego1in;3737386 said:
    I'd like to make my songs in RBN but there not up to par quality.
    Mainly because my drum set is 200$
    Hey, anything is possible. Keep at it and maybe you can come up with something. Make the most of what you have :)
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited June 2010
    I suppose I could post up the clip I have, but it is completely unmixed and incomplete.
  • MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    Tego1in;3737386 said:
    I'd like to make my songs in RBN but there not up to par quality.
    Mainly because my drum set is 200$
    It's not the price of your drums that matter, it's the quality of the mics and talent of the engineer you use! :)

    - m
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited June 2010
    alright guys I posted up the song clip, it's raw and incomplete but it's on my MySpace
  • RockoxRockox Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    That sounds really good, man. I'm looking forward to hearing it with vocals. Keep it up.
  • DekarTheDragoonDekarTheDragoon Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    I'm liking where it's going, keep up the good work :D
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited June 2010
    Thanks guys! Remember the guitar solo, drum solo, and more fleshing out are still to come :)

    Also mixing/mastering/etc!
  • XenigmaXenigma Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    Sounding good already! Looking forward to hearing a more final version, not to mention testing it whenever it makes the leap to RBN. :)
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited June 2010
    Xenigma;3742709 said:
    Sounding good already! Looking forward to hearing a more final version, not to mention testing it whenever it makes the leap to RBN. :)
    Thanks! After this song is done I will get working on the new version of what is currently "Broken But Not Dead".
  • XenigmaXenigma Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    kingtonyx;3742719 said:
    Thanks! After this song is done I will get working on the new version of what is currently "Broken But Not Dead".
    Oh yes, please do! Seriously love that song, hopefully it's still awesome after any changes.
  • Coltfan1223Coltfan1223 Rising Star
    edited June 2010
    So how is it coming along Tony?
Sign In or Register to comment.