"Rock Band Network Officially a Success

Doom878Doom878 Road Warrior
edited May 2010 in The Rock Band Network
http://rockbandaide.com/rock-band-network-officially-a-success/
…At least according to Rock Band Network Executive Producer Jeff Marshall. And I would think he probably knows what he’s talking about.

Billboard caught up with Jeff at the Liverpool Sound City music and business conference, who was able to get some very cool RBN details out of him.

Throughout play testing, peer review, and available for sale, there’s approximately 400 songs in the Rock Band Network, based on a user base of about 700 people who have signed up for the ‘premium creators membership’ with Microsoft’s Creator’s Club. Jeff mentioned that interest and subscription to the Rock Band Network has been “growing at a pace that we’re really happy with,” and that for every two people that access and interact with a free demo track, one purchase is made.

Billboard is also reporting that besides the PS3, content from the Rock Band Network Music Store will soon be made available on the Wii, as well as the Rock Band mobile application. I’m assuming he means the currently available iPhone app, but possibly something else entirely…

Jeff also stated that approximately 24 million people worldwide play Rock Band, with over 70 million downloads from the regular Rock Band store.

Great news!!! And check out the app maybe....

Downloading Rock Band songs. Yeah there's an app for that :D

Comments

• XinZXinZ Rising Star
    edited May 2010
    Damn, 70 million downloads.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited May 2010
    Yeah do the math on that.

At $2 a pop that's $140 million.

But a chunk of those are albums.

So say 5 million of those were $20 albums.

That's $100 million.

If 20 million were the $5(give or take) 3 packs that's another 100 million.

So at a quick quess that's 65 million $2 DLs for 130 million plus the 200 million for a total of 330 million dollars.

Give or take ;)

So while the 'old way' of tracking a games success says the music genre is dying because less retail sales, it's obvious that the downloadable market is alive and more than kicking.
  • Doom878Doom878 Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    Way to go to bands like Bang Camaro and other top sellers for making awesome songs that everyone wants.
  • darien87darien87 Unsigned
    edited May 2010
    But why don't they have previews of the RBN tracks? I have only bought Bodies by Drowning Pool so far, because it is the only song that I know. I would probably buy more if I could listen to the tracks before I buy them.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited May 2010
    darien87;3707909 said:
    But why don't they have previews of the RBN tracks? I have only bought Bodies by Drowning Pool so far, because it is the only song that I know. I would probably buy more if I could listen to the tracks before I buy them.
    Then you should go to youtube and search for some of the songs. There are some things that are not working on the PS3 yet.
  • greenzoid2greenzoid2 Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    select rbn songs coming to wii? awesome!
    edited May 2010
    darien87;3707909 said:

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188884

I'm slowly getting more added to it, but it's a start ;)
  • darien87darien87 Unsigned
    edited May 2010
    noble;3707943 said:
    http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188884

I'm slowly getting more added to it, but it's a start ;)
    Wow, now that's some dedication. Thanks for the hook-up dude.
  • SequenceFSequenceF Opening Act
    edited May 2010
    noble;3706813 said:
    Yeah do the math on that.

At $2 a pop that's $140 million.

But a chunk of those are albums.

So say 5 million of those were $20 albums.

That's $100 million.

If 20 million were the $5(give or take) 3 packs that's another 100 million.

So at a quick quess that's 65 million $2 DLs for 130 million plus the 200 million for a total of 330 million dollars.

Give or take ;)

So while the 'old way' of tracking a games success says the music genre is dying because less retail sales, it's obvious that the downloadable market is alive and more than kicking.
    ...and yet nobody online has DLC
    edited May 2010
    SequenceF;3710036 said:
    ...and yet nobody online has DLC

I think the problem is with the choice of DLC.

There are over 1000 pieces of DLC you can buy.

So say there are 4 million rock band owners on the 360(just as a number example, I honestly don't know.)

And each of these 4 million rock band owners has 10 DLC tracks.

That's 40 million downloads right there, and that's just 10 dlc tracks each.(which we know there are people with a LOT more than just 10.

So lets say you get a group of four heavy DLC buyers.
    Say each person has 400 DLC tracks.

The chances that all 4 have even 50 DLC tracks in common are still not very good.

So people are buying DLC, it's just that the way the system searches for players doesn't take into account that you have a certain percentage of DLC in common when it does its searches.

And in case anyone was wondering, if all 4 million of those 360 owners downloaded 1000 tracks each(and lets face it they aren't,...not even close), that would be 1 billion DLC downloads.
  • macamaticmacamatic Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    For the record, they announced a Rock Band Mobile some time back, for regular cell phones. I don't know of the project's status beyond that, though.
  • SgoastSgoast Unsigned
    edited May 2010
    Rock Band Mobile's been out for a while. It launched on Verizon just before the iPhone version did, and it's since launched on a couple other networks as well since then.

As someone who works for a cell phone company, considering the difficulty to simultaneously launch just the game itself on multiple carriers and the even more cumbersome nature of releasing patches for them, I really wouldn't take that quote to mean anything else but maybe select DLC for the iPhone version. Maaaaaaybe if they released an android version of the game you'd see it a little more widely available, but until then no dice.
  • xRite AidexxRite Aidex Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    I'm happy RBN took off like it did, just wish it would have been sooner...
  • Carpe_DiemCarpe_Diem Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    I'm thinking that at this pace the number of RBN songs will surpass the normal DLC by year's end or 1st quarter of 2011
  • weirdphilweirdphil Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    Carpe_Diem;3714493 said:
    I'm thinking that at this pace the number of RBN songs will surpass the normal DLC by year's end or 1st quarter of 2011
    I could see that happening, assuming the regular DLC continues to go at about 500-ish tracks a year. RBN is, what, almost at 300 now? In 2-3 months?
    edited May 2010
    weirdphil;3714530 said:
    I could see that happening, assuming the regular DLC continues to go at about 500-ish tracks a year. RBN is, what, almost at 300 now? In 2-3 months?

Over 300.

Around 315 give or take.
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    noble;3714538 said:
    Over 300.

Around 315 give or take.
    Yea. But over 5 months, not 2-3. The pace was really picking up around January.

I do look forward to contributing to out-doing Harmonix though. :)