If I Could Interview ____ I'd Definitely Ask ____

edited July 2010 in History of Rock
Hey HoR crew,

As you may or may not have noticed, we've had the good fortune to be able to interview a lot of Rock Band and RBN artists lately.

I try to keep a running tally of regular posters' favorite artists so that when we get a band on the schedule I can send a PM or two to some fans or start a thread asking for questions.

Yesterday as I was filming Mr. Pope interviewing one of his heroes, (Reverend Horton Heat), it got me thinking - what would I ask my favorite artists if given the chance?

I'd love to hear from you guys - what is the ONE (or five) question that you MUST know from your favorite artist/artists?

And if you've got a favorite Rock Band/RBN artist give me a head's up so I can be sure to drop you a line if we ever get them on the interview schedule.

Comments

• edited May 2010
    You know what's incredible Kev - I've noticed (and I'm guilty of this too) that so often that's never asked!

If I could interview either Nick13 or Theo Kogan, I'd ask the same thing - and I'd also want to know how they stay inspired after decades of making music. I'd also want to know who Nick13 thinks is the "greatest country singer to have ever lived" ...
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited May 2010
    I know that if I COULD interview anyone, it would certainly be Josh Homme, but I might be a little too giddy to properly interview

Probably what I'd most like to ask is what's it's like to constantly be writing and playing music with a revolving door of artists between each new release of material, and if working with many different people in short increments ever has a lasting impression on his style of music, or if it's a temporary change with every new artist that comes and goes

And then I'd ask how Carlo Von Sexron is doing
  • Lameboy19Lameboy19 Headliner
    edited May 2010
    I'd Interview SDRE, and ask them what they think of the scene that they created, and how little respect they get for doing so

Cap'n Jazz as well, I'd like to hear a few takes from the Tim talking about what he thinks of how his style of music has degraded
  • dman2309dman2309 Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    Andrew WK: "Is there such a thing as too much partying? (The answer is obviously no but I'd love to see a response.)
    John Darnielle: "How long does it take to write your songs? Which comes first: the lyrics or the melody? Also, who are your favorite lyricists?"
  • bjyaritzbjyaritz Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    I would ask John Paul Jones "what was the greatest moment of your musical career ?"
  • schmeankmanschmeankman Headliner
    edited May 2010
    I would ask Thurston Moore how he keeps his hair so floppy.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited May 2010
    i would ask varg vikernes out on date.
  • citizenCEROcitizenCERO Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    I would ask Alison Mosshart to marry me.
  • TeamAliceFTWTeamAliceFTW Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    I would ask Hayley Williams to be my soulmate.
  • MrFruitLordMrFruitLord Headliner
    edited May 2010
    I would ask Abbath to be friends with benefits. I'm cool, following the theme, right guys?
  • edited May 2010
    I would ask Alice Cooper who changed his live forever musically.
  • Rocket2RussiaRocket2Russia Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    If I could interview Jeff Mangum, I'd definitely ask why he accepted the interview, for one, and for two: what inspired/pushed him to go into hiding for so long and why did he come out of it (in the hypothetical reality in which he actually did come out of hiding for an interview).
  • Lameboy19Lameboy19 Headliner
    edited May 2010
    Rocket2Russia;3720373 said:
    If I could interview Jeff Mangum, I'd definitely ask why he accepted the interview, for one, and for two: what inspired/pushed him to go into hiding for so long and why did he come out of it (in the hypothetical reality in which he actually did come out of hiding for an interview).
    no question on whether the jesus line is ironic or not?

that'd be what I'd ask
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited May 2010
    I would ask Alanis Morissette if she wanted to go to a movie.
  • Rocket2RussiaRocket2Russia Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    Lameboy19;3720449 said:
    no question on whether the jesus line is ironic or not?

that'd be what I'd ask
    Of course not. It specifically says in ITAOTS liner notes that it's serious.
  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited May 2010
    TeamAliceFTW;3720285 said:
    I would ask Hayley Williams to be my soulmate.
    you haven't heard the news have you? xDDDDDDD :D
    TeamAliceFTW;3720285 said:
    I would ask Zooey Deschanel to be my soulmate.
    also fixed. :p

~~~~~

seriously,

I would ask Johnny Marr why his relations with Morrissey are so distant even if some Festivals are willing to give them millions of dollars to just perform as Johnny Marr & Morrissey, not even Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce too.
  • MrFruitLordMrFruitLord Headliner
    edited May 2010
    neckermanncj;3720533 said:
    I would ask Johnny Marr why his relations with Morrissey are so distant even if some Festivals are willing to give them millions of dollars to just perform as Johnny Marr & Morrissey, not even Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce too.
    Obviously, he doesn't like him, and he has enough intergrity to not go against his views for money. Pretty simple (and I don't even like the Smiths)
  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited May 2010
    MrFruitLord;3720539 said:
    Obviously, he doesn't like him, and he has enough intergrity to not go against his views for money. Pretty simple (and I don't even like the Smiths)
    that's for Johnny Marr to answer! :mad:

(i know why they hate each other, why they split up and why they will never play with each other, but it was for the sake of the thread. (actually i'd probably never even get to ask him that because once i mention Morrissey he'd probably be like "**** this interview" and walk away))

the thing that i "fixed" is a question i'd much rather ask.... :D
  • supernova1324supernova1324 Headliner
    edited May 2010
    I would ask Bob Mould what inspired him to change his style throughout his time in Husker Du as well as when he went solo and what was the main source of anger that he had during the Zen Arcade era.
  • WerttyWertty Rising Star
    edited May 2010
    I'd ask Daryl Palumbo why he's fudging around with every other band under the sun besides Glassjaw so they can hurry up and write more new stuff.

Also: When they're ever going to release their new cd and if it'll be before the next ice age.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited May 2010
    I wish I could interview the guy from that band Waste, but who am I kidding? It's not like he would come down from his throne of skulls and converse with any of us, right?
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited May 2010
    Billy Cote(Madder Rose):Your soloing is great, the three solos that can be found in Beautiful John prove that. How do you come up with such tasteful solos?
  • CEEDZ13CEEDZ13 Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    I would ask Jack White, Dave Grohl, and Flea to make a supergroup.

Think about that.
  • 40FootWolf40FootWolf Opening Act
    edited May 2010
    Pete Townshend; if he's ever considered translating Lifehouse into a different medium.
  • sonicnerd23sonicnerd23 Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    I would ask Lady GaGa if she feels she's the head of a musical revolution.
  • Grimman_DarkGrimman_Dark Rising Star
    edited May 2010
    James Hetfield: At what point between ...And Justice for All and The Black Album did you decide to change your songwriting style? What initiated the change? And why the **** did you cut your hair?!
    Matt Bellamy: How did you find/discover the guitar tone you use today? How do you create such a tone? And how much does Stephanie Meyer pay you to feature her music in her movies?
    Serj Tankian: In SoaD's later albums, it is apparent that more and more of the creative and vocal duties are being handled by Daron. Is there any physical reason for this happening? Did it contribute to the band's long hiatus?
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited June 2010
    CEEDZ13;3726626 said:
    I would ask Jack White, Dave Grohl, and Flea to make a supergroup.

Think about that.

We would get a Track pack of this group in the Rock Band store within a week.
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    I would ask Rivers Cuomo why the music of Weezer became much poppier after Pinkerton and if he would ever like to go back to the roots of his first two ever.
  • -Imagine--Imagine- Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    I would ask Ringo if Paul is dead.:p
  • Grimman_DarkGrimman_Dark Rising Star
    edited June 2010
    hiimSMAP;3760980 said:
    I would ask Rivers Cuomo why the music of Weezer became much poppier after Pinkerton and if he would ever like to go back to the roots of his first two ever.
    And if he says "no, not ever", slit his throat and bathe in his life essence.

.......Please?