EASY and MEDIUM difficulty on RBN?

MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
edited June 2010 in The Rock Band Network
We hear a *lot* from the Expert Guitar and Drums crowd about what they think of RBN charting...

But how about Easy and Medium players?

RBN authors also spend a lot of time trying to get the charts for these difficulty levels right! And in a way they're even harder to do correctly, as they need to be stripped down but still musical, all while supporting the skills that novice players are specifically learning at each level.

But does anybody at these difficulty levels even *play* RBN songs?

I'd like to know if you're out there!

- m

Comments

  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    I do have friends and family who will play with me occasionally, and have to go down to lower difficulties.
  • vedisvedis Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    i dont play them, but my daughter does
    my friends who play casualy do(and theres alot of them)
  • fcmleftyfcmlefty Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    I play Hard difficulty on guitar and bass. I can play the first tier or two on expert, but I pretty much stick to hard difficulty.

    I'm on ps3, so I only have a limited amount I've played, but the Hard charts have been very good so far.
  • FinalAeonFinalAeon Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    I'm still between kicking major ass on Hard Drums and trying to make a definite switch to Expert, so most song from tiers 5-7, I'd rather play on Hard.

    Having said that, the RBN Hard Drums charts of the 13'ish songs I currently own are pretty darn good.

    The only thing that slighly bothers me is that most tier 6&7 songs are just a tad too easy (and there's no way I'm 5*ing or even passing most of them on Expert).
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    What's an Easy?

    Never heard of it before, Markleford crazy :D
  • ShadowEclipseShadowEclipse Banned
    edited June 2010
    I play hard/expert guitar/bass and medium drums.

    Amberian Dawn's "He Sleeps In a Grove" is possibly the funnest drum song I've played on medium difficulty.
  • DekarTheDragoonDekarTheDragoon Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    My siblings seem to find the medium/hard drums more difficult than regular DLC, in general. They don't play a huge range of songs on them though, so it's entirely possible it's a small-sample-size thing.
  • hakko504hakko504 Rising Star
    edited June 2010
    I usually play medium drums and I'm trying to do as much as possible on hard guitar, but my limit is at the moment around tier 3. I'd be hugely disappointed if stuff weren't available at the lower difficulties as my wife whenever she joins me prefers to play on easy, though if she know the song and have played it before she will try medium once in a while. So far I haven't noticed any huge differences in the difficulty of the charting between RBN and regular tracks.
  • karaokefreakkaraokefreak Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    Statistics show that only a very small group of players ever advance to Hard and Expert difficulty, no matter which instrument. More than 80 % play on "Medium". That is what i have been told by GHs PR manager
  • MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    karaokefreak;3732736 said:
    Statistics show that only a very small group of players ever advance to Hard and Expert difficulty, no matter which instrument. More than 80 % play on "Medium". That is what i have been told by GHs PR manager
    Yes, RB lead designer Dan Teasedale has also shown the stats for this in his presentations (including here).

    It's the reason why the initial difficulty defaults to 'Medium', in fact!

    But some authors have implied, "Pah! RBN is for Expert players! We don't need to pay attention to Easy/Medium charts!" I just want to gather a little more data of what's actually played to back my assertions that they're very important difficulties, even in what some seem to deem a 'specialty market'.

    (And that's not even to mention the great majority of folks who don't know this forum exists, let alone posts their opinions here...)

    Anyway, these levels aren't going to go away for RBN, but I'd like to encourage authors to pay more attention and follow the standards, as Easy/Medium players also appreciate quality, consistency, and musicality.

    Thanks, everyone: keep it coming!

    - m
  • vedisvedis Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    Markleford;3732742 said:
    Yes, RB lead designer Dan Teasedale has also shown the stats for this in his presentations (including here).

    It's the reason why the initial difficulty defaults to 'Medium', in fact!

    But some authors have implied, "Pah! RBN is for Expert players! We don't need to pay attention to Easy/Medium charts!" I just want to gather a little more data of what's actually played to back my assertions that they're very important difficulties, even in what some seem to deem a 'specialty market'.

    (And that's not even to mention the great majority of folks who don't know this forum exists, let alone posts their opinions here...)

    Anyway, these levels aren't going to go away for RBN, but I'd like to encourage authors to pay more attention and follow the standards, as Easy/Medium players also appreciate quality, consistency, and musicality.

    Thanks, everyone: keep it coming!

    - m
    any author who thinks easy/medium dont matter can enjoy failing reviews from people like me until they learn otherwise if they dont wanna correctly do them :)
  • axelkotheaxelkothe Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    Hard on Guitar / Bass (sometimes the easier songs on expert) and easy/medium as a singer. Haven't had a chance to play drums yet (no room here for the drums), but probably easy or medium.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited June 2010
    Ive heard nothing but good things from my friends who play on medium with me. We play the song "all my friends are crazy" And people are intimidated by the fiddle in the preview. I tell them not to worry.

    By the end of the song they are having a blast.
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited June 2010
    Markleford;3732272 said:
    We hear a *lot* from the Expert Guitar and Drums crowd about what they think of RBN charting...

    But how about Easy and Medium players?
    What about the Hard players? :p

    For what it's worth, I'm an expert player that goes down to hard for songs that are too difficult for me on expert, mostly on drums, since I'm more of a "mid-tier" expert drummer. The RBN songs that I have where I had to go down to hard... chart seemed fine.

    Charting seems to be a bit variable by who is actually doing the charting, so it would be hard to generalize.
  • DookieManDookieMan Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    If vocals count, and maybe a little of some other instruments, my family plays easy-medium.
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited June 2010
    DookieMan;3733802 said:
    If vocals count, and maybe a little of some other instruments, my family plays easy-medium.
    I'm not an RBN author, but I doubt they have to do anything different for lower difficulties for vocals. Only difference for charting is that the line is fatter on lower difficulties. You still have to sing everything.

    For bass/guitar/drums, they actually have to create something different. Some notes may not be present, some are charted differently (single notes instead of chords, using less complicated button presses/hits, etc), and so on.
  • MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    jeccaneko;3733794 said:
    What about the Hard players? :p
    Yeah, I'd pondered whether to include an option for them... ;)

    In the end, though, I decided that there were two distinct camps that needed to be tracked: the "casual" players that are fine just having fun, and the hardcore players that accept nothing less that Expert.

    Hard players tend to be transitional, playing Medium/Hard or Hard/Expert. In the same manner that you identified, I don't think I've ever heard of someone who described themselves as *exclusively* a Hard player!

    I personally play Hard/Hard on voxtar/voxbass. Can do Expert at either, alone, but if I do them together one will invariably suffer. ;) So I just keep it fun. Expert on drums, except for high tier stuff: still don't have a good pedal like a real bass drum, mostly, and too cheap to invest in one to elevate my game. :p

    And I've been playing a lot of Easy/Medium voxtar on Lego RB to get a solid feel for the style! It's like research.

    - m
  • Lord_MhoramLord_Mhoram Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    I mostly play on Hard drums, but do drop to medium on the more difficult songs. So that does come up with RPN songs for me.
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited June 2010
    Markleford;3733910 said:

    Hard players tend to be transitional, playing Medium/Hard or Hard/Expert. In the same manner that you identified, I don't think I've ever heard of someone who described themselves as *exclusively* a Hard player!
    I did for drums, actually, for several months. But then I realized something kind of funny: Hard is actually more difficult than expert for some (a surprisingly bigger number than you'd think) songs, just because of scrolling speed. Expert scrolls a little faster than thus spaces the notes out a bit more, making them easier to read. Plus charters will take out certain notes in hard to "make it easier", but I actually find those missing notes more of a problem not being there in some cases. Why? You can either hear the drum hits and want to hit it, or the particular notes they took out make it a bit harder to get in the groove of that particular beat. You play drums, so hopefully you understand what I mean by get in the groove. If not, I'll try to explain it better in another post!

    For the longest time I've been saying I won't get an XNA account, but I've been thinking about it. This thread brings up one of the reasons. I don't think the difficulties below expert are playtested, or at least not as much as they should be. I play with below expert players enough that even if I don't play below expert as much, I know what the charts should be like. The fact there's very, very few vocals reviewers makes me sad too. And, heck, I'd also want to review keyboard stuff if/when that's made available to RBN songs once RB3 comes out. :)

    You guys are finally convincing me to come to the dark side.
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    jeccaneko;3734310 said:
    I did for drums, actually, for several months. But then I realized something kind of funny: Hard is actually more difficult than expert for some (a surprisingly bigger number than you'd think) songs, just because of scrolling speed.
    I may fail "We Are the Nightmare" on expert drums, but at least I can tell what's going on. On hard, the poly-rhythms and stuff just seem even weirder when they're dumbed down.
  • DekarTheDragoonDekarTheDragoon Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    DragoonXD;3734340 said:
    I may fail "We Are the Nightmare" on expert drums, but at least I can tell what's going on. On hard, the poly-rhythms and stuff just seem even weirder when they're dumbed down.
    Oh God, We Are The Nightmare... That on hard is harder than any on-disc song on expert, I swear. I had to play it for half an hour just to 5* it on hard, pretty humbling really, but also completely ridiculous looking. Between the scroll rate and note jumbling, it's really hard to tell when stick speeds change without remembering. I'll never pass it on Expert tho so I gotta deal with it :p

    And I agree that there are songs that are harder on hard, at least certain parts of. Take Sky Is Falling, for example. The constant bass during most of the song on expert is much easier than the half of them removed. Alternating GO RG GO is harder than constant bass, in my experience.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited June 2010
    Markleford;3733910 said:
    Hard players tend to be transitional, playing Medium/Hard or Hard/Expert. In the same manner that you identified, I don't think I've ever heard of someone who described themselves as *exclusively* a Hard player!

    - m
    I'm exclusively a hard player. In my experience, Medium is too easy to be fun, and Expert is too annoying to be fun, for the most part. I may eventually move up to Expert but I dislike the speed of some of the drumrolls/altstrums and I don't really care to get over that.

    So far the only chart I've come across that feels genuinely broken/wrong on Hard is Jumper '09. Just after the 10% mark (checked in Practice mode) there's a string of snare hits that are completely uncharted. They're charted fully in Expert and represented in Medium (albeit in simplified form, of course) but they're simply missing in Hard mode. It's mind-blowing. Please, someone else back me up on this.
  • MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    LuigiHann;3734686 said:
    I'm exclusively a hard player. In my experience, Medium is too easy to be fun, and Expert is too annoying to be fun, for the most part.
    I stand corrected! At least until you eventually start into Expert territory... ;)

    I do find that Hard is certainly a good mix of fun and challenge. I keep that in mind when I'm playtesting or charting for it.

    - m
  • XenigmaXenigma Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    I can't go above Medium on Drums, and I'm not too good at that difficulty level. Then again, I don't think I've played Drums on Rock Band since RBN released...
  • BrutalBrianBrutalBrian Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    I just cannot grasp Hard and Expert difficulty. I need an extra finger on my hand. And before you go saying "It's not that hard, just slide your fingers!" I really am not that capable.

    anyway, all the RBN songs I own I would consider myself completely happy with the easy and medium charts. The RBN authors do a great job on them.
  • KEWBKEWB Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    I've been playing with friends/coworkers a lot lately and I'm the only one who plays expert. Last Train to Awesometown, Motorcide, and Bra Off Party On have become regular novelty favorites. We play Bodies quite a bit too. Other RBN tracks get plays once in a while as well.
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    KEWB;3736423 said:
    I've been playing with friends/coworkers a lot lately and I'm the only one who plays expert. Last Train to Awesometown, Motorcide, and Bra Off Party On have become regular novelty favorites. We play Bodies quite a bit too. Other RBN tracks get plays once in a while as well.
    Well that's an unsettling bit of good news.

    (Man Parts has another song coming, should be out within a week or so. Just FYI.)
Sign In or Register to comment.