Poll: Original RBN music

GeneralGilliamGeneralGilliam Opening Act
edited June 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Hi, I had a thought, Why are their no people (as far as I can tell) writing original music for RBN, or RB in general? I think the RBN could use someone writing music for the RBN. Think along the lines of Steve Ouimette from GH, but with original pieces instead of covers... and by that I mean shredtastic songs of course. So, anyone else think this would be a good idea? Feel free to voice your opinions on the matter here.

PS: I may or may not have a team of musicians interested in doing this already ;)

Comments

• LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited June 2010
    GeneralGilliam;3732631 said:
    Cool, got a link to where I could check some out?
    Ron Wasserman's Fight Back and American Hero were both written for RBN, I believe. Fight Back may have been written earlier, so I'm not 100% sure on that one.

And the Fauxharmonic Orchestra songs are all being arranged specifically for RBN, although they are not original songs.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited June 2010
    I don't have anything online yet, still working on the song :)
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    Amberian Dawn were also asking what people thought about a RBN exclusive song.
  • GeneralGilliamGeneralGilliam Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    Alright, thanks for the responses so far. I get what you Luigi about it needing some kind of a gimmick to it. Usually when GH releases these types of songs, they're free, so that's their gimmick. If I could release these for free I would, but RBN doesn't allow free :(
    These aren't even meant to bring in loads of cash or anything, I'm thinking something that will help boost the poularity of the RBN and help spread the word (like someone likes the song, tells a friend to go to the RN store and download it, and boom, another [bites the dust...couldn't resist] knows about the RBN store's existence.

I'll cut out a preview clip of an original song that may or may not be coming to the RBN;) to show you what the preview would sound like. Tell me if you think it sounds like something you'd wanna see more of.
    edited June 2010
    Alright, here's a link to a preview of 1 song http://soundcloud.com/general-gilliam/original-rbn-song-preview

Oh, and in case you're wondering, no, this is not a solo, IT is just a normal part of the song :)
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
  • Lady SiaraLady Siara Metal Maiden
    edited June 2010
    GeneralGilliam;3732700 said:
    Alright, here's a link to a preview of 1 song http://soundcloud.com/general-gilliam/original-rbn-song-preview

Oh, and in case you're wondering, no, this is not a solo, IT is just a normal part of the song :)
    Sounds great as a song on its own as well.

If the rest of the song can keep my interest as long as that sample, you've got yourself a buyer.
  • jawillroyjawillroy Rising Star
    edited June 2010
    It's an interesting question. None of my music's written with RBN specifically in mind, but Markleford's song-polishing has been strongly focused on getting them RBN-ready, so... *shrugs.* Luigihann's point is an important one, though: look at the numbers on rockbandscores.com and the like: in truth, very few people are buying from bands that don't already have a large following outside RB. I don't think that the novelty of an "RBN Exclusive" will be that compelling unless it's coming from someone like that.

As a songwriter, I'll put in my two cents and say write the songs first, and then decide what to do with them. Trying to stitch something together to fit the game from the get-go stands a risk of sounding gimmicky in the end. On the one hand, if it's well charted, that's certainly enough to get into RBN - (they're playtesting and reviewing for playability, it's not like Harmonix has Robert Christgau or Pitchfork in there doing musical reviews or anything) and if that's all the band wants, that's fine. On the other hand, it's not like *I* write the songs that make the whole world sing, so what do I know, right?
  • moomandwwmoomandww Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    GeneralGilliam;3732700 said:

I will buy the living crap out of that song. Not only does it seem fun, but it sounds GOOD, unlike some other song i know of. *koffNihilanthkoff*
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited June 2010
    i actually tried this as an experiment, but consider it abandoned. :)
  • MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    When I recorded the latest arrangment this song, I did have RB in mind:

http://www.markleford.com/music/files/09_06_markleford_irobot2009.mp3

I've had this in playtest for a while, early on, but put it on the back-burner for other songs since then.

- m
  • thirdmortalthirdmortal Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    The song does sound great. What are you using for drums?
  • vedisvedis Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    Um, really?

I think you need to go take a look at Fight Back and American Hero, both were written for RBN specificaly.

just cuz it isnt shredtastic(which is a ******ed way to look at songs imo) doesnt mean they arent great
    edited June 2010
    vedis;3733046 said:
    just cuz it isnt shredtastic(which is a ******ed way to look at songs imo) doesnt mean they arent great
    Or just because it *is* shredtastic, it doesn't mean it isn't great! ;)

Honestly, shredfests aren't the songs that stick with me (I like more "song" in my song than "clinic"), but we have to admit that most of the "unknown" acts that are doing well on RBN are the technical metal and prog acts.

As much as I like to push RB as an educational game for teaching people about music and training their sense of rhythm, it's still a *game*, and as such has a great deal of "challenge appeal" for a large segment of the audience.

Kinda wish it was different, but there's room for everyone.

Anyway, I'd say if someone is "unknown" and *does* write for RBN, shredtastic *would* be the way to go. Amberian Dawn mentioned something about trying this: they're really building a big new audience thanks to RBN.

Whatever you do, just *don't* write wussy stuff like James William Roy! Career suicide, man. "Twinkle sprinkles", indeed! :P

- m

Postscript:

(or: "How to Destroy your Shredhead Cred")

I was listening to Buckethead before many of the "OMFGJORDANEPICCCC!!1!" crowd was even born

However, my favorite Buckethead song remains "I Love My Parents". :)

As much as he can blow your mind with his sound and technique, the guy definitely knows his way around a melody.
    edited June 2010
    Markleford;3733163 said:
    Whatever you do, just *don't* write wussy stuff like James William Roy! Career suicide, man. "Twinkle sprinkles", indeed! :P
    Good thing I'm no careerist. But I don't know, man: anyone with the stones to get up in front of their friends and sing a lyric like that isn't any kind of wuss, in my book. ANYBODY can sing tough-guy lyrics. (Double :P)
    edited June 2010
    jawillroy;3733258 said:
    Good thing I'm no careerist. But I don't know, man: anyone with the stones to get up in front of their friends and sing a lyric like that isn't any kind of wuss, in my book. ANYBODY can sing tough-guy lyrics. (Double :P)
    And *that's* why the ladies are all over you!

- m
    edited June 2010
    Markleford;3733292 said:
    And *that's* why the ladies are all over you!
    Don't I know it. It's a burden, I'm telling you. With great power comes great responsibility.
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, I've been watching Keldon's site to see what's been popular and such. It definitely seems that unknown acts are having trouble selling songs. That's one big factor of why I think this would be a GOOD idea. If a series of good songs can be made by people nobody's ever heard of, that has the potential to turn a lot of people onto more lesser known bands in the RBN.

I know that the song has to be more than just a giant shred-fest, but the majority of people that buy DLC are casual gamers, which LOVE the difficulty factor. Honestly, this song is kinda the RB version of the GH: On Tour Modern Hits theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2l4vdGnu3s) lol.

Honestly, I think that a certain amount of free songs should be allowed. Like have every 6 months or so HMX should ask some of the authors if they want to put in a free song, and if then compile all those free songs into a free "RBN
    track pack as regular DLC. That way every 6 months or so people get to see new songs from the RBN and maybe start regularly checking it for songs.

Just letting you all know, this will not be the only song going up, a series of at least 3 RBN specific songs are already being written by various artists and groups. I'll try to have an audition preview up by the end of June for at least 1, but this project is in the very early stages still so it might not happen by then.

Oh, and for the guy who asked about the drums, I don't quite get your question? Do you mean what kit or what?
  • edited June 2010
    My band is going to start recording soon, I will try to get some songs done with RBN in mind.
  • HelloMasterHelloMaster Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    I don't know 95% of the groups on RBN anyway. I wouldn't know the difference between a song that's simply on RBN and a song that's written for RBN.

Chances are, if you're writing with gameplay in mind, it's likely to catch my attention. All my purchases are based on gameplay. I often don't even pick up songs I love because the gameplay just isn't there. So yeah, go for it. I vote yes.
  • KariodudeKariodude Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    I fully plan on writing and recording a song not just with Rock Band in mind, but literally about the game. The lyrics will even mention how hard the upcoming solo will be and acknowledge how band members magically appear different places with camera cuts.
  • TheOzoneTheOzone Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    LuigiHann;3732649 said:
    Ron Wasserman's Fight Back and American Hero were both written for RBN, I believe. Fight Back may have been written earlier, so I'm not 100% sure on that one.
    You are correct.

Ron had written "Fight Back" a couple years ago as a present for Power Rangers fans and gave it away on a Power Rangers message board. This is the first widespread and retail release of the song.

Ron selected the song as a test to see how it would be received on the RBN. Once we received positive feedback and decent sales numbers, Ron wrote and recorded "American Hero" just for the game. He is considering writing more if "American Hero" also is successful. His exact words were "I love writing this kind of music again. As long a people keep buying it, I'll keep writing it."
  • thirdmortalthirdmortal Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    GeneralGilliam;3733484 said:

Oh, and for the guy who asked about the drums, I don't quite get your question? Do you mean what kit or what?
    Sorry I meant more on the recording side. Did you record at studio or at home? How did you mic the kit?
  • wesjett08wesjett08 Rising Star
    edited June 2010
    Not My Fault was spiced up just for the RBN, Which now sucks because it's hard as hell to play live.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited June 2010
    GeneralGilliam;3733484 said:
    I know that the song has to be more than just a giant shred-fest, but the majority of people that buy DLC are casual gamers, which LOVE the difficulty factor.
    Are you sure about that? Aside from the Metallica pack (which has the distinct day-one advantage), most of the top-selling tracks are chordfests and other fairly easy songs people buy because that's what they know.
    edited June 2010
    On RBN for "unknown acts", we're mostly talking about.

(Jonathan Coulton, for instance, has absolutely zero difficulty selling DLC on RBN...)

- m
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited June 2010
    Kariodude;3733575 said:
    I fully plan on writing and recording a song not just with Rock Band in mind, but literally about the game. The lyrics will even mention how hard the upcoming solo will be and acknowledge how band members magically appear different places with camera cuts.
    I still want somebody to release a song with a drum solo that was recorded on an actual Rock Band drum kit... no midi or Freestyle mode or anything, just the authentic *thunk thunk thunk* of drumsticks on plastic, that would entertain me greatly.
    edited June 2010
    edited June 2010
    SirDavidTLynch;3733828 said:
    Are you sure about that? Aside from the Metallica pack (which has the distinct day-one advantage), most of the top-selling tracks are chordfests and other fairly easy songs people buy because that's what they know.

Yup, whenever I hear casual GH/RB players talking about the game I always ask stuff like what;s your favorite song.x Almost alqays the reply is a. extremely difficult song. Just look at the following of TTFaF back from GH3
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    Kariodude;3733575 said:
    When RBN was first announced, I tried to get a few other NeoGAF members together to form a band. We were gonna write a meta-song about the song itself, and about the animation and camera cuts and everything that were gonna be used. But the plan kinda fell through.

I still wanna see somebody do it, though. Especially if it's very tongue-in-cheek.