College Football

Banky71Banky71 Banned on the Run (Live)
edited July 2010 in Less Rokk More Talk
The old thread is locked but huge things are happening now. Colorado is the first domino to fall. Nebraska to the Big 10 is next. Going to be an interesting off season for sure.

USC 2 year sanctions. I say USC is no longer a power and may not ever recover from this. Mostly because Kiffen.

Comments

• jonoo24jonoo24 Merch-Table
    edited June 2010
    The SEC doesn't want teams like miami and FSU because they would add football and not much else. We don't really need football. The main targets of theSEC are V-tech and texas.

I'd be okay with duke and north carolina, it would add much needed basketball competition.
  • topperharleytopperharley Son of Statler and Waldorf
    edited June 2010
    Apples;3752003 said:
    could even keep the existing lesser bowls for other worthy teams.
    If they were for worthy teams, they could get by with less than half the bowls they have now.
  • bermuddybermuddy 100.000 Wasted Years
    edited June 2010
    lol youre ridiculous. it's not about new markets. it's about becoming a dominant conference. if things worked that way then the sun belt conference wouldnt want UM because they already have fiu and it wont open up new markets :rolleyes:
  • Banky71Banky71 Banned on the Run (Live)
    edited June 2010
    jonoo24;3752043 said:
    The SEC doesn't want teams like miami and FSU because they would add football and not much else. We don't really need football. The main targets of theSEC are V-tech and texas.

I'd be okay with duke and north carolina, it would add much needed basketball competition.
    Basketball does not make money for a college football does.
  • jonoo24jonoo24 Merch-Table
    edited June 2010
    bermuddy;3752051 said:
    lol youre ridiculous. it's not about new markets. it's about becoming a dominant conference. if things worked that way then the sun belt conference wouldnt want UM because they already have fiu and it wont open up new markets :rolleyes:
    I'm just repeating what espn said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=5268212
    edited June 2010
    the LEAGUE is the ncaa. you want a conference with power teams so you get a national game every weekend and sell outs at home. THAT is how you make money.
  • XxxadxxXXxxadxxX Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    Good point muddy. Bottom line it comes down to MONEY!
  • j_dub_rulesj_dub_rules Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    Its all about money, not about dominant conferences.Otherwise, why would the Big 10 think of adding Syracuse or Rutgers when it could add Pitt, a better football and basketball school, and a more logical geographic choice? Because Pitt isn`t the New York Metro area, and all the potential Big 10 Network subscribers that can make the conference more money.
  • FloodOneFloodOne Headliner
    edited June 2010
    j_dub_rules;3752072 said:
    Its all about money, not about dominant conferences.Otherwise, why would the Big 10 think of adding Syracuse or Rutgers when it could add Pitt, a better football and basketball school, and a more logical geographic choice? Because Pitt isn`t the New York Metro area, and all the potential Big 10 Network subscribers that can make the conference more money.
    DING!!

TV contracts is where the money is, and the Big Ten Network distributed some 20 million to all of it's schools, plus the money the bowl teams brought to the table.

Basically, every school in the Big Ten was given more money than any other team (I think, the numbers are kind of all over the place) due to its TV Network.

Games don't bring in millions, advertisers do.
  • BonzoBonzo Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    FloodOne;3753567 said:
    DING!!

TV contracts is where the money is, and the Big Ten Network distributed some 20 million to all of it's schools, plus the money the bowl teams brought to the table.

Basically, every school in the Big Ten was given more money than any other team (I think, the numbers are kind of all over the place) due to its TV Network.

Games don't bring in millions, advertisers do.
    Which is why the Pac-16 is developing. The Pac-10 wants their own tv station, and taking the six schools they made offers to will give them a large enough television market to do so. (7 of the top 20 US markets I believe). It's also why an invite was given to Colorado over Baylor (the sixth south school), CU has the Denver market.

All of this really blows, I went Iowa State and seems my school is gonna be left high and dry along with Kansas, KState, Mizzou, and Baylor. However, the most recent rumors are that ISU, KU, KSU, and MU are all in talks with the Big East to join their conference, which would result in a 12 team football conference and a 20 team basketball conference (which would be undeniably the top BBall conference in the nation).

It'll be interesting to see how this whole thing plays out. I just want it to be over and Iowa State to have a good home in a BCS conference, otherwise we're absolutely screwed in the $$$ department.
  • LibertineStripesLibertineStripes Rising Star
    edited June 2010
    Texas and their little buddy A&M will be in the Big Ten, too, I'm guessing.

They could stop there at 14, or (more likely) add two more in Notre Dame and Rutgers/Missouri/Syracuse
  • edited June 2010
    LibertineStripes;3754952 said:

They could stop there at 14, or (more likely) add two more in Notre Dame and Rutgers/Missouri/Syracuse
    I'm not sure Texas makes sense geographically with the big 10.

At least in the pac-10 scenarios they have their own eastern sub-division with regional opponents.
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited June 2010
    I believe an 8 win season is in order for my Spartans this year.
    edited June 2010
    Cubecubed;3755743 said:
    I believe an 8 win season is in order for my Spartans this year.
    Dude this is football not basketball. :D
    edited June 2010
    Banky71;3755777 said:
    Dude this is football not basketball. :D
    We are as good as we've been since that 9 win a couple years back.Cousins is the 2nd or 3rd best QB in the big ten,and Greg Jones is one of the best LB's in the nation.8 wins seems pretty accurate,especially given the weak schedule we have.
    edited June 2010
    except now youre going to play agains the texas teams. welcome to 6-6
    edited June 2010
    bermuddy;3755800 said:
    except now youre going to play agains the texas teams. welcome to 6-6
    i do believe that wouldn't start until next season.and the only Texas team i'm worried about is the Longhorns.Also Nebraska when they jump ship.
  • BevoTheWarriorBevoTheWarrior Cow Patty
    edited June 2010
    LibertineStripes;3754952 said:

I'm still not sure how I feel about the dismantling of the Big 12 but I'd much rather see my Horns go to the Pac 10 (or Pac 16) than the Big 10.
    edited June 2010
    Just adding Nebraska,Missouri and Notre Dame makes the most sense for the Big ten.Two seven team divisions.

North:
    Penn State
    Michigan
    Michigan State
    Minnesota
    Notre Dame
    Wisconsin
    Purdue

South:
    Ohio State
    Illinois
    Nebraska
    Missouri
    Northwestern
    Indiana
    Iowa
  • bmanincbmaninc Wetter of Fine Pants
    edited June 2010
    I think CANADA will join the Pac 33.
    edited June 2010
    Cubecubed;3756329 said:
    Just adding Nebraska,Missouri and Notre Dame makes the most sense for the Big ten.Two seven team divisions.

North:
    Penn State
    Michigan
    Michigan State
    Minnesota
    Notre Dame
    Wisconsin
    Purdue

South:
    Ohio State
    Illinois
    Nebraska
    Missouri
    Northwestern
    Indiana
    Iowa
    They will never split Michigan and Ohio State from each other.
    edited June 2010
    the acc has UM and FSU split, but the play every year anyway.
  • edited June 2010
    I am thinking more that they would do east-west divisions than north-south in the Big 10. It would reduce the travel. Anything's possible at this point though.
  • tridentgum0tridentgum0 Uninteresting Poster
    edited June 2010
    FloodOne;3756405 said:
    They will never split Michigan and Ohio State from each other.
    They better not.
  • bmanincbmaninc Wetter of Fine Pants
    edited June 2010
    tridentgum0;3756491 said:
    They better not.
    Yeah or else bandwagon jumpers might get upset!
    edited June 2010
    I say split them up and make the play in the confrence championship every year if they are good enough.
  • edited June 2010
    They split up the decades old Nebraska-Oklahoma rivalry when the Big 12 was formed. It could happen.
    edited June 2010
    tridentgum0;3756491 said:
    They better not.
    Agreed
    Banky71;3756506 said:
    I say split them up and make the play in the confrence championship every year if they are good enough.
    Until Michigan dumps RichRod, I don't see the Wolverines being competitive in the Big 10. I'll still hold out hope though.
    Apples;3756536 said:
    They split up the decades old Nebraska-Oklahoma rivalry when the Big 12 was formed. It could happen.
    U of M-OSU goes back like 90 something years. It's the most storied rivalry in college football history. If the Big 16 (or whatever they call it) breaks that up, I'll hate them for the rest of time.
  • edited June 2010
    Funny that the Big 12 now has 10 teams and the Big 10 now has 12. College math for ya!

I contend Nebraska didn't leave the Big 12, they just moved it. :p
  • LibertineStripesLibertineStripes Rising Star
    edited June 2010
    FloodOne;3756577 said:

Until Michigan dumps RichRod, I don't see the Wolverines being competitive in the Big 10.. .U of M-OSU goes back like 90 something years.
    First part is true, RR is a joke and has killed UM for the foreseeable future. The rivalry with those skunk bears goes back 107 years this season. tOSU and UM would have to be in the same division, playing twice a year (back to back) if they ended up meeting in the conference championship would never fly here. Neither would moving The Game from the last game of the season.