College Football

Banky71Banky71 Banned on the Run (Live)
edited July 2010 in Less Rokk More Talk
The old thread is locked but huge things are happening now. Colorado is the first domino to fall. Nebraska to the Big 10 is next. Going to be an interesting off season for sure.

USC 2 year sanctions. I say USC is no longer a power and may not ever recover from this. Mostly because Kiffen.

Comments

  • topperharleytopperharley Son of Statler and Waldorf
    edited June 2010
    So if Nebraska joins the Big 10, does that mean the Big 12 becomes the Big 10, the Big 10 becomes the Big 12, and the PAC-10 becomes the PAC-11?
  • Banky71Banky71 Banned on the Run (Live)
    edited June 2010
    topperharley;3751838 said:
    So if Nebraska joins the Big 10, does that mean the Big 12 becomes the Big 10, the Big 10 becomes the Big 12, and the PAC-10 becomes the PAC-11?
    I'm pretty sure it will be the PAC-16.
  • jonoo24jonoo24 Merch-Table
    edited June 2010
    Banky71;3751840 said:
    I'm pretty sure it will be the PAC-16.
    If everyone accepts the invitation. Most likely texas and OK won't
  • Banky71Banky71 Banned on the Run (Live)
    edited June 2010
    jonoo24;3751843 said:
    If everyone accepts the invitation. Most likely texas and OK won't
    True but I am sure they have back up teams that will jump at the chance.
  • edited June 2010
    I love the chaos and I love that my state started the chaos by courting the Big 10. I love it because it is the inevitable result of all the corruption and greed in the sport, making everything look totally crazy and ridiculous.

    IMHO, this whole country-wide restructuring is the result of two big trends:

    1. The broken BCS system (ie: lack of a playoff) and teams jockeying to be in the top two "power" conferences. (Which have the best shot at a NC bowl bid)

    2. The cash grab over college FB TV rights. Millions of dollars in TV revenue at stake, and each college is trying to get its maximum slice of the pie.


    Specific to the Big 12, there has been rumblings for years in the North Division that Texas has too much say in policy matters. (voting the conf. championship game in their home state for the next 5 years, getting their own private TV deal, for example) That is what has really tee'd off schools like Missouri and Neb.




    The school I most feel sorry for is Kansas. After the Big 12 is raided of all their good schools, there will be about 5 leftover school, and Kansas won't be in any sort of power conference for their basketball program. Collateral damage all in the name of football revenue.
  • topperharleytopperharley Son of Statler and Waldorf
    edited June 2010
    I like how the Big 10 was so arrogant that they believed all these other teams were going to wait around to see what they were going to do regarding expansion, and not join other conferences before they took their sweet time making that decision.
  • Banky71Banky71 Banned on the Run (Live)
    edited June 2010
    All I know is Syracuse is probably in huge trouble lol
  • BevoTheWarriorBevoTheWarrior Cow Patty
    edited June 2010
    jonoo24;3751843 said:
    If everyone accepts the invitation. Most likely texas and OK won't
    Don't be so sure. Nothing's official yet but around here there's a lot of talk and it sounds like there's a good chance that Texas will accept. They're in meetings all day today with the Pac-10 working out details.
  • tridentgum0tridentgum0 Uninteresting Poster
    edited June 2010
    I want a school with the tradition of Nebraska in the Big Ten. My Buckeyes could use some more competition.
  • j_dub_rulesj_dub_rules Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    And in the end, the SEC will still be the best conference in the country and will have a representative in virtually every NCG till we get a playoff. All this does is compact the potential contenders to play whoever wins the SEC. The Big Ten is still a joke, Nebraska and Missouri won't change that. The Pac-16 will be no different than the Big 12, dominated by Texas and Oklahoma in football, with the University of Slimy Cheaters occasionally contending. All this moving around is a pathetic cash grab.
  • BevoTheWarriorBevoTheWarrior Cow Patty
    edited June 2010
    I think all the moving around may actually be the catalyst for the downfall of the BCS system. A playoff system in college football may finally be on the horizon. The very, very distant horizon (at best), but still...
  • j_dub_rulesj_dub_rules Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    A plus one perhaps, but a full on playoff is doubtful, because as is being shown here, unless you're a big boy, no one cares. I mean Kansas, one of the 3 greatest college basketball programs ever isn't going to have a conference, and absolutely no one wants anything to do with them. They'll end up in CUSA or the MWC. Why would the cartel start to let anyone but one of them win?
  • edited June 2010
    BevoTheWarrior;3751969 said:
    I think all the moving around may actually be the catalyst for the downfall of the BCS system. A playoff system in college football may finally be on the horizon. The very, very distant horizon (at best), but still...
    Agreed. Even within the BCS system, they're now talking about 4 super conferences (Pac-16, Big-16, SEC, and some Big East/ACC hybrid)

    With the 4 conf. winners playing each other in bowls and a +1 NC game for the two winners.

    It would be pretty reasonable IMHO, could even keep the existing lesser bowls for other worthy teams.
  • XxxadxxXXxxadxxX Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    Doesn't matter where The Longhorns end up. They will still rule!!!
  • Banky71Banky71 Banned on the Run (Live)
    edited June 2010
    I think the ACC will lose all it's good teams to the SEC.
  • bermuddybermuddy 100.000 Wasted Years
    edited June 2010
    the sec will start recruiting from the ACC. i have a gut feeling that FSU, UM, and a combo platter of VT/GT/Virgina/clemson
  • j_dub_rulesj_dub_rules Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    I see the SEC doing nothing, but if it does, it won`t add FSU, Miami, Clemson or Georgia Tech, because no one of those teams open up new markets for the SEC. Va Tech, Virginia, Duke and UNC would be more likely candidates.
  • jonoo24jonoo24 Merch-Table
    edited June 2010
    The SEC doesn't want teams like miami and FSU because they would add football and not much else. We don't really need football. The main targets of theSEC are V-tech and texas.

    I'd be okay with duke and north carolina, it would add much needed basketball competition.
  • topperharleytopperharley Son of Statler and Waldorf
    edited June 2010
    Apples;3752003 said:
    could even keep the existing lesser bowls for other worthy teams.
    If they were for worthy teams, they could get by with less than half the bowls they have now.
  • bermuddybermuddy 100.000 Wasted Years
    edited June 2010
    lol youre ridiculous. it's not about new markets. it's about becoming a dominant conference. if things worked that way then the sun belt conference wouldnt want UM because they already have fiu and it wont open up new markets :rolleyes:
  • Banky71Banky71 Banned on the Run (Live)
    edited June 2010
    jonoo24;3752043 said:
    The SEC doesn't want teams like miami and FSU because they would add football and not much else. We don't really need football. The main targets of theSEC are V-tech and texas.

    I'd be okay with duke and north carolina, it would add much needed basketball competition.
    Basketball does not make money for a college football does.
  • jonoo24jonoo24 Merch-Table
    edited June 2010
    bermuddy;3752051 said:
    lol youre ridiculous. it's not about new markets. it's about becoming a dominant conference. if things worked that way then the sun belt conference wouldnt want UM because they already have fiu and it wont open up new markets :rolleyes:
    I'm just repeating what espn said.

    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=5268212
  • bermuddybermuddy 100.000 Wasted Years
    edited June 2010
    the LEAGUE is the ncaa. you want a conference with power teams so you get a national game every weekend and sell outs at home. THAT is how you make money.
  • XxxadxxXXxxadxxX Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    Good point muddy. Bottom line it comes down to MONEY!
  • j_dub_rulesj_dub_rules Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    Its all about money, not about dominant conferences.Otherwise, why would the Big 10 think of adding Syracuse or Rutgers when it could add Pitt, a better football and basketball school, and a more logical geographic choice? Because Pitt isn`t the New York Metro area, and all the potential Big 10 Network subscribers that can make the conference more money.
  • FloodOneFloodOne Headliner
    edited June 2010
    j_dub_rules;3752072 said:
    Its all about money, not about dominant conferences.Otherwise, why would the Big 10 think of adding Syracuse or Rutgers when it could add Pitt, a better football and basketball school, and a more logical geographic choice? Because Pitt isn`t the New York Metro area, and all the potential Big 10 Network subscribers that can make the conference more money.
    DING!!

    TV contracts is where the money is, and the Big Ten Network distributed some 20 million to all of it's schools, plus the money the bowl teams brought to the table.

    Basically, every school in the Big Ten was given more money than any other team (I think, the numbers are kind of all over the place) due to its TV Network.

    Games don't bring in millions, advertisers do.
  • BonzoBonzo Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    FloodOne;3753567 said:
    DING!!

    TV contracts is where the money is, and the Big Ten Network distributed some 20 million to all of it's schools, plus the money the bowl teams brought to the table.

    Basically, every school in the Big Ten was given more money than any other team (I think, the numbers are kind of all over the place) due to its TV Network.

    Games don't bring in millions, advertisers do.
    Which is why the Pac-16 is developing. The Pac-10 wants their own tv station, and taking the six schools they made offers to will give them a large enough television market to do so. (7 of the top 20 US markets I believe). It's also why an invite was given to Colorado over Baylor (the sixth south school), CU has the Denver market.

    All of this really blows, I went Iowa State and seems my school is gonna be left high and dry along with Kansas, KState, Mizzou, and Baylor. However, the most recent rumors are that ISU, KU, KSU, and MU are all in talks with the Big East to join their conference, which would result in a 12 team football conference and a 20 team basketball conference (which would be undeniably the top BBall conference in the nation).

    It'll be interesting to see how this whole thing plays out. I just want it to be over and Iowa State to have a good home in a BCS conference, otherwise we're absolutely screwed in the $$$ department.
  • LibertineStripesLibertineStripes Rising Star
    edited June 2010
    Texas and their little buddy A&M will be in the Big Ten, too, I'm guessing.

    They could stop there at 14, or (more likely) add two more in Notre Dame and Rutgers/Missouri/Syracuse
  • edited June 2010
    LibertineStripes;3754952 said:
    Texas and their little buddy A&M will be in the Big Ten, too, I'm guessing.

    They could stop there at 14, or (more likely) add two more in Notre Dame and Rutgers/Missouri/Syracuse
    I'm not sure Texas makes sense geographically with the big 10.

    At least in the pac-10 scenarios they have their own eastern sub-division with regional opponents.
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited June 2010
    I believe an 8 win season is in order for my Spartans this year.
Sign In or Register to comment.