Big 4 Of Every Genre?

TheRollingBonesTheRollingBones Headliner
edited July 2010 in History of Rock
So, everyone knows the big 4 of thrash metal, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, and Anthrax, but what about in other genres? Help be come up with the Big 4 from every genre you can think of. Here's one to start it off:

Big 4 of Grunge: Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden (TheRollingBones)

Big 4 of First Wave Black Metal: Venom, Celtic Frost, Bathory, Hellhammer. (Onslaught_fei)

Big 4 of 80's alternative rock: The Smiths, The Replacements, The Cure, Sonic Youth (neckermanncj)

Big 4 of 90's alternative rock: Pavement, The Flaming Lips, Radiohead, Beck (neckermanncj)

Big 4 of Britpop: Pulp, Oasis, Blur, Suede (neckermanncj)

Big 4 of post punk: Joy Division, The Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Talking Heads (Dante1847)

Big 4 of post punk revival: Editors, Interpol, The Killers, Bloc Party (Dante1847)

Big 4 of British Invasion: The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Kinks (Rockbandfan23467)

Big 4 of classic prog rock: Pink Floyd, Yes, ELP, Moody Blues (Fujiskunk/Fizzeler)

Big 4 of arena rock: Styx, Foreigner, Journey, REO Speedwagon (Fujiskunk)

Big 4 of Southern rock: Allman Brothers Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd, the Outlaws, the Marshall Tucker Band (Fujiskunk)

Big 4 guitar shredders: Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, Eddie Van Halen (Fujiskunk)

Big 4 of Symphonic Prog: ELP, Yes, Genesis, and Camel (killer_roach)

Big 4 of Hardcore Punk: Dead Kennedys, Bad Brains, Black Flag, Misfits (exploder/TheRollingBones)

Big 4 of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal: Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motorhead, and Saxon (Skittles)

Big 4 of Power Metal: Helloween, Stratovarius, Blind Guardian, Nightwish (Pseudomaniac)

Big 4 of Prog. Metal: Fates Warning, Dream Theater, Queensryche, Symphony X (Fizzeler)

Big 4 of Prog. Death Metal: Death, Atheist, Cynic, Opeth (Fizzeler)

Big 4 of Early Alternative: Pixies, Dinosaur Jr., Sonic Youth, Joy Division (hiimSMAP)

Big 4 of Rock Band: The Beatles, Green Day, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters (hiimSMAP)

Big 4 of Post-Hardcore: Fugazi, Refused, Glassjaw, Rites of Spring (Lameboy19)

Big 4 of Shoegaze: Slowdive, Cocteau Twins, My Bloody Valentine, The Flaming Lips (hiimSMAP)

Big 4 of Funk Metal: Primus, Rage Against the Machine, Faith No More, Suicidal Tendencies (SpoonQuest)

Comments

• TheRollingBonesTheRollingBones Headliner
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, just want to see what people will come up with.
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited June 2010
    Soundgarden over STP as the big 4 of Washington grunge.

Big 4 of first wave black metal: Venom, Celtic Frost, Bathory, Hellhammer.
  • TheRollingBonesTheRollingBones Headliner
    edited June 2010
    Soundgarden over STP as the big 4 of Washington grunge.
    I debated the two, but I figured STP was the slightly bigger band.
    Don't know the bands, so I'll assume you're right in that. Put on the OP.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited June 2010
    Doesn't Gothenburg have a very popular Big four, with In Flames, Dark Tranquility and At the Gates? I can't remember a fourth... maybe it's just a big three.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited June 2010
    Big 4 of Rock Progressivo Italiano: Le Orme, Premiata Forneria Marconi, Area and Banco del Mutuo Soccorso
  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited June 2010
    80's alternative rock: The Smiths, The Replacements, The Cure, Sonic Youth

90's alternative rock: Pavement, The Flaming Lips, Radiohead, Beck

Britpop: Pulp, Oasis, Blur, Suede
    edited June 2010
    where do Pixies go into that necker (I would put The Cure in Big 4 of Post-Punk) :p
  • citizenCEROcitizenCERO Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    Big 4 of Japanese Metal
    Corrupted, Boris, Gallhammer and Sigh

GUYS AM I DOING IT RIGHT
  • Dante1847Dante1847 Headliner
    edited June 2010
    Big 4 of post punk: Joy Division, The Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Talking Heads

Big 4 of post punk revival: Editors, Interpol, The Killers, Bloc Party
    edited June 2010
    Post-punk revival needs Franz Ferdinand fosho
  • Dante1847Dante1847 Headliner
    edited June 2010
    citizenCERO;3755016 said:
    Post-punk revival needs Franz Ferdinand fosho
    you could def make an argument for them: the first three were easy, picking the last one was difficult, and for me it came between Bloc Party, Franz Ferdinand, and The Strokes.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited June 2010
    Soundgarden is in the Big 4 of Grunge, not STP.

Thrash Big 4 can have Slayer swapped out for Testement.

Like Kenny said, the Big four of British Invasion (The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, and The Kinks)
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited June 2010
    Big four of (classic) prog rock: Pink Floyd, Yes, ELP, the Alan Parsons Project

Big four of the British Invasion: the Beatles, the Who, the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin (or the Yardbirds if you think Zeppelin came too late to be part of the Invasion)

Big four of arena rock: Styx, Foreigner, Journey, REO Speedwagon

Big four of Southern rock: Allman Brothers Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd, the Outlaws, the Marshall Tucker Band

Big four guitar shredders: Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, Eddie Van Halen
  • WerttyWertty Rising Star
    edited June 2010
    Big 4 of screamo- Saetia, Hot Cross, Orchid, ....uh... Circle Takes the Square?
    edited June 2010
    FujiSkunk;3755110 said:
    Big four of (classic) prog rock: Pink Floyd, Yes, ELP, the Alan Parsons Project
    not really (the Big 4 in Prog. comes from Rock Progressivo Italiano), swap Pink Floyd for Moody Blues
  • caspian88caspian88 Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    I think I'd drop Hellhammer from the Big 4 of first wave black metal (especially given as it is pretty much directly continued by Celtic Frost) and replace it with Mercyful Fate, Sodom, or Sarcofago.

Big 4 of Norwegian Black Metal: Darkthrone, Mayhem, Burzum, and then either Emperor, Immortal, Satyricon, or Thorns.
  • Grimman_DarkGrimman_Dark Rising Star
    edited June 2010
    The big four of Industrial: Nine Inch Nails, Ministry, Depeche Mode and, er, Skinny Puppy?
  • KasilKasil Rising Star
    edited June 2010
    Dante1847;3755039 said:
    you could def make an argument for them: the first three were easy, picking the last one was difficult, and for me it came between Bloc Party, Franz Ferdinand, and The Strokes.
    I probably would've gone with The Strokes, personally. Despite liking the other two better.
  • Mystlyfe77Mystlyfe77 Big Fan
    edited June 2010
    Some of the stuff is this thread is pretty ridiculous. A lot of it is plain wrong. Big 4 doesn't always apply to a lot of genres/movements/sub-genres/etc.
    Onslaught_fei;3754531 said:

caspian88;3756404 said:
    I think I'd drop Hellhammer from the Big 4 of first wave black metal (especially given as it is pretty much directly continued by Celtic Frost) and replace it with Mercyful Fate, Sodom, or Sarcofago.
    I agree with caspian. Celtic Frost and Hellhammer are basically the same band. I think my "four" would be Bathory, Venom, Hellhammer/Celtic Frost, and Sarcofago. But really, a big four doesn't work all that well.
    instantdeath999;3754541 said:
    Doesn't Gothenburg have a very popular Big four, with In Flames, Dark Tranquility and At the Gates? I can't remember a fourth... maybe it's just a big three.
    It's just three. But, like many "big X" situations, there's some other bands who were doing it better, earlier, and/or more influential than the "big three."
    citizenCERO;3754990 said:
    Big 4 of Japanese Metal
    Corrupted, Boris, Gallhammer and Sigh

GUYS AM I DOING IT RIGHT
    No you're not. A big 4 of J-metal without Abigail or Coffins? That's so horribly wrong, I can't begin to express my rage. Especially if you're including Corrupted.
    Rockbandfan23467;3755089 said:
    Thrash Big 4 can have Slayer swapped out for Testement.
    Ummmmmmm, no.
    Slayer is more popular, has sold more records, and had far more influence than Testament ever did. Just look at last.fm, where Slayer has more than 2.5x as many listeners. Hell, Legacy/Testament didn't even release a demo until 1985, when thrash had already taken off. Testament really isn't any more popular than the teutonic thrashers or Exodus, either (and is certainly far less influential than either), so why would they get in before Kreator, Sodom, or Exodus?
    Beyond that, Anthrax would be the first ones kicked out, not Slayer. And that's not just because I don't like Anthrax. They're, by far, the least popular of the big four and were the least influential.
    caspian88;3756404 said:

Big 4 of Norwegian Black Metal: Darkthrone, Mayhem, Burzum, and then either Emperor, Immortal, Satyricon, or Thorns.
    I think a "big three" would be more appropriate. After Mayhem, Burzum, and Darkthrone you just get into a giant mess of bands.
    edited June 2010
    Fizzeler;3755500 said:
    not really (the Big 4 in Prog. comes from Rock Progressivo Italiano), swap Pink Floyd for Moody Blues
    I might give you the Alan Parsons Project for the Moody Blues, but you can't swap out anybody for Pink Floyd!

My humble opinion, of course. :)
  • RyuzakiRyuzaki Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    The Vines, The Hives, The Strokes, and The White Stripes are often sited as the big four "rock saviors/revivalists" of the early 2000s.
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited June 2010
    FujiSkunk;3756627 said:
    I might give you the Alan Parsons Project for the Moody Blues, but you can't swap out anybody for Pink Floyd!

My humble opinion, of course. :)
    Except for the fact that Pink Floyd is a psychedelic / space rock band with a couple of progressive albums :)

That being said, a Big Four of Symphonic Prog: ELP, Yes, Genesis, and Camel.
  • Mystlyfe77Mystlyfe77 Big Fan
    edited June 2010
    killer_roach;3756827 said:
    Except for the fact that Pink Floyd is a psychedelic / space rock band with a couple of progressive albums :)
    If by "a couple," you mean about half their discography... ;)
    edited June 2010
    Mystlyfe77;3756838 said:
    If by "a couple," you mean about half their discography... ;)
    I'd say more than half. I'd also say psychedelic rock laid the foundation for prog rock, so it was a natural, er, progression anyway.
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited June 2010
    FujiSkunk;3756852 said:
    I'd say more than half. I'd also say psychedelic rock laid the foundation for prog rock, so it was a natural, er, progression anyway.
    Except their most progressive stuff was at the start of their career...

...but yes, the psychedelic movement was a huge influence on the symphonic prog scene in the late 60s and early 70s. Some of the other subgenres of prog, not so much, but definitely in symphonic prog.
  • Fragory123Fragory123 Rising Star
    edited June 2010
    Big 4 Of Sludge: Mastodon, Eyehategod, Melvins, High On Fire

But that's just in my opinion. Feel free to correct me.
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited June 2010
    Grimman_Dark;3756464 said:
    The big four of Industrial: Nine Inch Nails, Ministry, Depeche Mode and, er, Skinny Puppy?
    lolwut?

The big four of Industrial: Throbbing Gristle, SPK, Skinny Puppy, Clock DVA
    edited June 2010
    Mystlyfe77;3756528 said:
    No you're not. A big 4 of J-metal without Abigail or Coffins? That's so horribly wrong, I can't begin to express my rage. Especially if you're including Corrupted.
    in that case I'll look into Abigail and Coffins... :o
  • CommonCriminalCommonCriminal The Stork Whisperer
    edited June 2010
    Big 4 of Glam: David Bowie, T.Rex, Roxy Music, (Sweet or New York Dolls)