Big 4 Of Every Genre?

Comments

• GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited June 2010
    "emocore" as coined by Thrasher at the time.
  • citizenCEROcitizenCERO Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    Fizzeler;3757295 said:
    Big 4 of Prog. Death Metal: Death, Atheist, Cynic, Opeth
    Atheist should go for another heavier/more technical band.
    They're too similar to Cynic [and inferior IMO] and the jazzy-tech death spot is taken.
    I think Decapitated or Brain Drill would fit the spot better.

If we were to replace another, though, I'd drop Opeth for some blackened death like Behemoth.

...and then I realized I did all this just to realize it said "prog. death". /doesn't do anything right
  • DrewLee865DrewLee865 Rising Star
    edited June 2010
    citizenCERO;3757476 said:
    They're too similar to Cynic [and inferior IMO] and the jazzy-tech death spot is taken.
    I think Decapitated or Brain Drill would fit the spot better.

If we were to replace another, though, I'd drop Opeth for some blackened death like Behemoth.

...and then I realized I did all this just to realize it said "prog. death". /doesn't do anything right
    Atheist is the best band there.

Big Four of Death Metal
    Death
    Pestilence
    Obituary
    Dismember
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited June 2010
    Big 4 of the 2nd wave of Black Metal:

Mayhem
    Burzum
    Emperor
    Immortal
  • TheRollingBonesTheRollingBones Headliner
    edited June 2010
    citizenCERO;3757476 said:
    Again, "Big 4" doesn't mean "Best 4", it means 4 most popular/influential.
  • AIright_ComputerAIright_Computer Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    hiimSMAP;3757309 said:
    Shoegaze:
    Slowdive
    Cocteau Twins
    My Bloody Valentine
    The Flaming Lips
    Dude, it's DEFINITELY just the big 3, and it's Ride, My Bloody Valentine, and Slowdive. Actually, it's more like the big 3 albums: Loveless, Nowhere, Souvlaki. You might slip Cocteau Twins in there too if you wanted to make it four, but that's really stretching it since I could think of a ton of bands I would put in at the same time as them (Lush and Spacemen 3 ring any bells?), while the other three are set in complete stone.

Also, Flaming Lips? Shoegaze??? What the **** is Wayne Coyne giving you to smoke?
    edited June 2010
    Dude, it's DEFINITELY just the big 3, and it's Ride, My Bloody Valentine, and Slowdive.
    This is unfair to Swervedriver and watnot.
    edited June 2010
    Gowienczyk;3757576 said:
    This is unfair to Swervedriver and watnot.
    Hey man, if I had a dollar for every Souvlaki > Loveless > Nowhere comparison I see, I'd be rich. None of them ever have Mezcal Head, although I'd say it deserves a spot very high up on the "honorable mentions" list.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited June 2010
    edited June 2010
    I see The Jesus and Mary Chain mentioned almost as much as My Bloody Valentine and Slowdive, at any rate.
    edited June 2010
    yeah, though i can understand how they get left out since they belonged just as much to the post-punk scene as the shoegazers.
    edited June 2010
    afterstasis;3757593 said:
    lush, jerks.
    If I had to choose a fourth, they'd be it, but the gods of shoegaze say otherwise.
    Gowienczyk;3757596 said:
    I see The Jesus and Mary Chain mentioned almost as much as My Bloody Valentine and Slowdive, at any rate.
    I don't think they're really shoegaze, though. Psychocandy set the prototype for it, but it wasn't really it, and then they just went in a completely different direction after that. I guess you could make the same case for Spacemen 3, too.
    edited June 2010
    i've always viewed "psychocandy" as more of a noise-pop album, but the lines between those genres were much more vague in the good ol' dayz.
    edited June 2010
    i'm not saying i like blurry lines, but i really miss all the good television and girls in spandex and headbands.
    edited June 2010
    Coal Chamber and Papa Roach were hardly ever as relevant as other bands in the subculture.
    edited June 2010
    as an outsider looking in i never realized papa roach was that huge of a band... i would have definitely expected folks like slipknot and disturbed to be a lot bigger.
    edited June 2010
    as an outsider looking in i never realized papa roach was that huge of a band...
    They really weren't.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited June 2010
    Gowienczyk;3757633 said:
    Coal Chamber and Papa Roach were hardly ever as relevant as other bands in the subculture.
    Coal Chamber definitely were one of the first nu-metal bands and helped inspire others like Korn.

There could probably be a better choice for Papa Roach, but many nu-metal fans see Papa Roach's Infest as one of the top 3 nu-metal albums of time. Linkin Park is a possiblity or maybe Slipknot.

I'm thinking as realistically as possible, not what I would want as nu-metal's big 4. My nu-metal Big 4 would be:

Mushroomhead
    Spineshank
    3rd Strike
    From Zero

No one has probably even heard of those last two...
    edited June 2010
    pretty much all of my nu-metal knowledge comes from a group of guys i used to play AD&D and other tabletop RPG's with, and they all worshiped korn, coal chamber, and the deftones.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited June 2010
    afterstasis;3757656 said:
    pretty much all of my nu-metal knowledge comes from a group of guys i used to play AD&D and other tabletop RPG's with, and they all worshiped korn, coal chamber, and the deftones.
    Deftones is great, but like all nu-metal groups, they changed their style with the times since nobody likes nu-metal anymore. Pretty much, all nu-metal groups took the post-grunge, hard rock, or alternative metal road.

Except maybe Korn....
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited June 2010
    Big 4 of shred metal:

Yngwie Malmsteen, Tony MacAlpine, Vinnie Moore, and Paul Gilbert.

Although this list is impossible because I hate not seeing Jason Becker, Joe Stump, Jeff Loomis, Michael Romero on there but whatever...
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited June 2010
    Fei you mean Romeo right :p

Besides he goes in

Big 4 Power Metal Vocalists: Roy Khan, Michael Kiske, Russell Allen, Hansi Kursch
    edited June 2010
    Fizzeler;3757691 said:

Besides he goes in

Big 4 Power Metal Vocalists: Roy Khan, Michael Kiske, Michael Romeo, Hansi Kursch
    Yeah whatever, I have John Romero on the mind ;p
    edited June 2010
    When has Michael Romeo vocalized?
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited June 2010
    Fizzeler;3757691 said:

Besides he goes in

Big 4 Power Metal Vocalists: Roy Khan, Michael Kiske, Michael Romeo, Hansi Kursch
    Romeo is the guitarist man, i think you mean Allen
    edited June 2010
    Gowienczyk;3757709 said:
    When has Michael Romeo vocalized?
    dang it got the names mixed up I meant Russell Allen :mad:
    a21schizoidman;3757711 said:
    Romeo is the guitarist man, i think you mean Allen
    yeah weird because I just listened to Symphony X should have gotten the name from the start :(
    edited June 2010
    Speaking of Symphony X, they'd probably go on a big 4 of powerprog with Kamelot, Stratovarius and Angra or something to that effect.
    edited June 2010
    Onslaught_fei;3757731 said:
    Speaking of Symphony X, they'd probably go on a big 4 of powerprog with Kamelot, Stratovarius and Angra or something to that effect.
    Sounds about right Kamelot definitely goes into a Power Prog. Big 4
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited June 2010
    killer_roach;3756827 said:
    Except for the fact that Pink Floyd is a psychedelic / space rock band with a couple of progressive albums :)

That being said, a Big Four of Symphonic Prog: ELP, Yes, Genesis, and Camel.
    i see someone has finally taken note of my posts ;)
    killer_roach;3757239 said:
    Big Four of Rock In Opposition: Henry Cow, Samla Mammas Manna, Univers Zero, and Art Zoyd.
    since you already got this one down, i'll do this:

Rock Progressivo Italiano: PFM, Area, Le Orme, Banco del Mutuo Soccorso
    edited June 2010
    a21schizoidman;3757742 said:

Rock Progressivo Italiano: PFM, Area, Le Orme, Banco del Mutuo Soccorso
    Hmm now where did I see this before :p

Oh yeah
    Fizzeler;3754554 said:
    Big 4 of Rock Progressivo Italiano: Le Orme, Premiata Forneria Marconi, Area and Banco del Mutuo Soccorso