Lack of free songs = Dissapointed

seligfseligf Unsigned
edited June 2010 in The Rock Band Network
So far, I really enjoy a lot of what the Rock Band Network has to offer. Unfortunately, I'm not a very wealthy person, and I love several of the free songs that the Music Store has had to offer (Dreaming of Love, Am I Crazy, I'm Right Behind You Now (Charlene) and such). Now, these are either novelty bands, or they small indie bands. And since RBN is chock full of those, why haven't some of the big leaguers (I'm looking at you The Main Drag) set one or two of their songs as free? I mean, the free songs are the ones that EVERYONE has. I realise that it does cost money to get someone to chart a song, but the publicity factor kind of cancels it out.

-Selig

Comments

• The FriskThe Frisk Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    As far as I know, free songs are not possible through the Rock Band Network, because of it using XNA. The minimum they can charge is 80msp.
  • SequenceFSequenceF Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    cheap cheap CHEAAAP cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap cheeeeaaaap!

Hey, did someone let a bird loose in here?
  • I_Love_YouI_Love_You Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    Yeah RBN musicians can't host songs for free.

Which is a shame, I'm sure there'd be some generous people :P

But if you want a song, you're gonna have to pay for it, at least $1 anyway.
  • XenigmaXenigma Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    Some people have said they would offer songs for free if they could. XNA sets the minimum at $1, so you won't find RBN songs cheaper than that.
  • DrThirteenDrThirteen Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    I always go to the super-market and hate it when the tomatoes aren't free.:rolleyes:
  • jawillroyjawillroy Rising Star
    edited June 2010
    Apropos this, a really interesting article:
    Why You Should Pay For Music
  • MickstafaMickstafa Unsigned
    edited June 2010
    Seligf, why exactly do you feel entitled to have something freely given to you at the expense of others? That is quite an interesting demand.
  • TransbrakTransbrak Headliner
    edited June 2010
    Somebody needs to get a job.
  • CleantoneCleantone Unsigned
    edited June 2010
    seriously $1-$2 is nothing. even if you make minimum wage it is a few minutes of work. It can take apparently over a hundred hours to make these tracks.
  • JoatmonJoatmon Rising Star
    edited June 2010
    I agree with everyone here, including the guy who wants a free song once in a while.

Anyone ever been to a grocery store? Barnes and Noble? Panda express? The mall?

Grocery store - free samples of pizza rolls or whatever

Barnes and Noble - Last time I was there there was a girl going around giving sample (very small) cups of some new coffee

Panda Express - free sample of whatever type of food you are wondering about

The mall - free sample of pretzel, orange julius...

I am an entrepreneur myself and can vouch for free samples as a viable way of doing business. It exposes people to things they may not have purchased otherwise.

Soooo, if I get a free song from someone I have never heard of, and they rock, and then I buy the 3 pack when it comes out, or the complete album, and/or when my friends come to play and hear/play the song and they love it too and they go to the store and buy the cd and their friends hear it and then go to the rockband store to buy the .....

Now I could continue on about frequent buyer rewards and start a new conversation saying how, since I have PURCHASED over 400 songs, a free one wouldn't kill anyone now would it? Ever heard of frequent flyer miles, punch cards for coffee......
  • CleantoneCleantone Unsigned
    edited June 2010
    The demo is not a "free sample"?? You are right though. It should be buy 400 and get 1 free. ;)
  • GeneralGilliamGeneralGilliam Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    lol, EVERY song has a FREE demo. If you don't consider that a sample, you're a moron.

The fact of the matter is, that for ANY game to release free DLC they have to get specific permission through MS (at least I'm pretty sure this is how it works, as Nord was saying something about it a while back when the megamix was just a pipedream), so HMX would need to go and get special permission for every free song people wanted to post which just wouldn't be feasible.

Also, the free songs are the ones "EVERYONE" has simply because they are free, it in no way whatsoever means the people who have it like the song. How many people have you seen with the icarly crap? how many people have you seen that LIKE the icarly crap? I rest my case.
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    GeneralGilliam;3762086 said:
    Also, the free songs are the ones "EVERYONE" has simply because they are free, it in no way whatsoever means the people who have it like the song. How many people have you seen with the icarly crap? how many people have you seen that LIKE the icarly crap? I rest my case.
    You should come by GAF sometime. They'll like a song just to annoy you. :p

But yea, demos are the best we've got (which, hey, it's better than official DLC). I can see it being technically possible- a song's a song- but it would take a monumental feat or a good spot of bribery to get an RBN song out there free. There's just too many barriers. If it ever happens it'd probably just be the once, and I wouldn't even count on that occurring.
  • overdriveguitarmanoverdriveguitarman The Walrus
    edited June 2010
    jawillroy;3761826 said:
    That was an awesome article
  • KariodudeKariodude Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    seligf;3761317 said:
    And since RBN is chock full of those, why haven't some of the big leaguers (I'm looking at you The Main Drag) set one or two of their songs as free? I mean, the free songs are the ones that EVERYONE has.
    What's funny to me is that, more than likely, no one would be releasing free songs on the RBN even if they could.
  • weirdphilweirdphil Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    Joatmon;3761957 said:
    I agree with everyone here, including the guy who wants a free song once in a while.

Anyone ever been to a grocery store? Barnes and Noble? Panda express? The mall?

Grocery store - free samples

Barnes and Noble - sample (very small) cups of some new coffee

Panda Express - free sample

The mall - free sample of pretzel, orange julius...
    RBN does have free samples...
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited June 2010
    Kariodude;3762251 said:
    What's funny to me is that, more than likely, no one would be releasing free songs on the RBN even if they could.

The possible exposure of your music to 4million potential new fans would offest the cost of a free song ;)

But the point remains MS wants money so no free rides on XNA.
  • MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    Kariodude;3762251 said:
    Untrue. I'd love to give away songs for free, but the XNA system doesn't allow it. That would be a heck of a lot of exposure, even if they played it once and deleted it.

So we're selling songs for as cheap as possible: 80 msp. I don't think it's any great hardship to cough up $1 for a song. If you feel it's worth spending your time playing, surely it's worth spending a buck to help out the people that make this stuff.

On the other hand, there's always the free mp3s at the sites listed below! ;)

- m
  • seligfseligf Unsigned
    edited June 2010
    Wow, people got really angry about my question. Maybe if the Music Store took a song/chart from the RBN, and uploaded it to the regular store for free. Or something.
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited June 2010
    seligf;3762435 said:
    Wow, people got really angry about my question. Maybe if the Music Store took a song/chart from the RBN, and uploaded it to the regular store for free. Or something.
    They can't. The regular music store is only for songs released by Harmonix. RBN songs are (mostly) released by other people, not Harmonix. That is, in fact, the point of RBN.

Yes, the band can try to get Harmonix to do their songs, but that may take a while or Harmonix won't go for it, or whatever.
    edited June 2010
    seligf;3762435 said:
    Wii owners would still get screwed, lol.
  • LORDJUJULORDJUJU Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    jawillroy;3761826 said:
    Everyone should read this

WHY YOU SHOULD PAY FOR MUSIC

by Jon Sheldrick

Let's get one thing straight: I love free music. If a musician decides to give away an album, I'm the first to download it. I am against the RIAA lawsuits that sue people for sharing music. Rather than scaring people into buying music, I advocate a culture in which people actually want to spend money on music, because they understand the positive repercussions it has on the medium of recorded music, and the lives of the artists that produce it. What I hope to do in the following paragraphs is persuade you that not only does paying for music benefit that artist you claim to support, but also benefits you, the listener.

I'm not going to make a legal argument. It may be valid but just isn't relevant in practice. A law is only as effective as the means by which you can enforce it. And, unless something crazy happens in the world of Internet regulation, no one will be able to forcibly stop people from sharing music. After all, if there was no bouncer outside a concert venue, we could expect to see ticket sales plummet just as fast as CD sales. The problem is that many people just don't value music in a meaningful way. What do I mean by that? Well, I understand perfectly well that people value music in the sense that they enjoy it, and love rocking out on their iPod. However, they don't value it in the sense that they will willingly fork over $1 for a song, thus helping the artist who made it continue to produce awesome music. If I'm going to convince you to buy your next record, it's not going to happen by scaring you with abstract arguments about copyright law.

I used to illegally download in high school. I remember when Napster first came out. It was incredible. It was fast, free, and delivered on-demand music; what could be bad about that? I can say, in all honestly, I did not once think about how it could negatively impact a musician, until I saw first-hand what it was doing.

After high school, I went to NYU, hoping to become a recording engineer. At the same time, I began to record my own music, in the hope of someday making a living from it. In an effort to get a grander perspective on the business I longed to enter, I got an internship at an indie record label. There I saw artists, with sizable fan-bases, question whether they could record another album. The demand was there, but the audience was not paying for the product they claimed to love so much. This directly translated to artists not recording albums, plain and simple. Instead, they embarked on relentless tours, leaving little to no time for writing new material and recording it.

During this time I also started to look for work in recording studios. There, I saw an effect of file sharing that was not immediately obvious. Musicians could no longer afford to pay recording engineers (amazing artists in their own right). As music sales continued to decline, studios all over New York City were shutting their doors. And it wasn't just the big time Hit Factory places; small independently run studios were going under as well. It wasn't that they were creating inferior products. It was a direct result of people not paying for music. This led to a decline in the quality of recorded music, at least when talking about independent artists who don't have a 1 million dollar advance to burn through.

As I saw this going on around me, I stopped to think. If I want to be an audio engineer at a studio, how can I download music illegally? It would be utterly hypocritical of me to download an album for nothing, and at the same time hope that someone else would buy one I worked on. I realized that if I wanted things to change, I would have to start by doing it myself. Hands down, the best way to support your favorite artist is financially. Of course, telling your friends about songs and re-tweeting alerts helps, but it does not necessarily enable artists to produce moremusic. At the end of the day, what good is a fan who tells 1,000 friends about your album if none of them actually buy it? Sure, those people might go see the band live, but concerts and recordings have totally different budgets and costs. When you go see a live show, it doesn't make up for the record you ripped off LimeWire. Your ticket price pays the roadies, the sound guys, the tour manager, the gas bills, the van insurance, and maybe, if they're lucky, the band. That form of logic reduces recorded music to a PR Tool, aimed at promoting the sale of tickets and t-shirts. And what does that say for recorded music as a medium? Will recorded music be reduced to the importance of a T-shirt, used to promote a live show? Recorded music provides a listening experience that is unique and rewarding in its own right, and listeners should strive to preserve that. Fans should respect the wishes of the artist. If a musician asks that you pay for an album, you should respect the time and effort that went into its creation, and pay for it.

Perhaps people don't really care about how artists make their living. But there are positive repercussions for the listener. First, I guarantee you, it will make the listening experience more rewarding. You will have a recording whose quality matches what the artist intended. You will listen closer. Just like you would savor the taste of an expensive bottle of wine, you'll savor the sounds of that record you bought. After all, good music is not meant to be "chugged". Buying a record will also make it easier for that artist to produce another one, meaning you get a kick-ass sounding follow-up to that record you just sipped slowly with some cheese and crackers. It is, in essence, a "win/win".

Don't believe me? Try it out. Wait for the release date, like you would a souffle coming from the kitchen. When it arrives, set aside some time to put it on. You can end the listening session with the comforting feeling that you are enabling the artist you love to continue to create beautiful music, that you will be able to tweet about in the very near future.

At the end of the day, it's really a moral argument. Unfortunately in the music world, as with life in general, the moral road is not always the easiest route to take. As Plato said, "[Music] gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything." In this sense, it is almost as important as the air we breathe. I urge you to meditate on this. How much does music mean to you? How does it positively affect your life? Hopefully many of you will come to the conclusion that while you may not have a fat bank account, ten dollars for a record you will play 100 times is a damn good deal.

Courtesy of SoundCtrl.com. Sound Ctrl will be hosting an internet week event June 10, 2010 in NYC discussing issues facing the music industry. RSVP: soundctrl2010internetweek.eventbrite.com

Jon Sheldrick is an audio engineer with MuseAmi,and also leads a group called Fatty Acid. You can listen to his music (and download some things for free!) @ fattyacid.bandcamp.com.
    edited June 2010
    GeneralGilliam;3762086 said:
    lol, EVERY song has a FREE demo. If you don't consider that a sample, you're a moron.
    Ok, since we are name calling now, Listen moron, free SAMPLES are not the same as listening to several seconds of a song and not seeing the chart.

When you TAKE a free sample of a pretzel, coffee or food, do you swish it around in your mouth and then give it back?

Oh, also, like someone else said, RBN has no preview...
  • vedisvedis Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    Joatmon;3762524 said:

When you TAKE a free sample of a pretzel, coffee or food, do you swish it around in your mouth and then give it back?

now you got me thinking about actualy doing this

will post results later when i find somewhere to do it
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited June 2010
    Joatmon;3762524 said:
    Ok, since we are name calling now, Listen moron, free SAMPLES are not the same as listening to several seconds of a song and not seeing the chart.

Oh, also, like someone else said, RBN has no preview...
    Sorry, PS3 dude. On the xBox 360, users can download a 1-minute playable demo for every song. So that's what people are talking about, it literally is a free sample. Sucks that PS3 still doesn't have the feature, but demos are a function of XNA that might be difficult to replicate.
    edited June 2010
    Joatmon;3762524 said:

I don't recall ever giving demos back. If it's full charts you're looking for, we've got a few threads here in the RBN section that are full of links to youtube videos of RBN charts that are FREE to view, if that's the type of sample you'd prefer. Some of us uploaders include our youtube channels in our signatures on the forums. If I remember right, the RBN authors are trying to put up full band chart videos also.

______
    down here...
    edited June 2010
    LuigiHann;3762547 said:
    Sorry, PS3 dude. On the xBox 360, users can download a 1-minute playable demo for every song. So that's what people are talking about, it literally is a free sample. Sucks that PS3 still doesn't have the feature, but demos are a function of XNA that might be difficult to replicate.

My bad, obviously there is no way for me to know that so I apologize.
  • General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited June 2010
    jawillroy;3761826 said:
    Why You Should Pay For Indie Music
    Fixed that for you. It's bad to steal from the poor man, but ok to steal from the colossal giants from ages past (imo). Only a real dick steals from indie artists.
    edited June 2010
    weirdphil;3762548 said:
    I don't recall ever giving demos back. If it's full charts you're looking for, we've got a few threads here in the RBN section that are full of links to youtube videos of RBN charts that are FREE to view, if that's the type of sample you'd prefer. Some of us uploaders include our youtube channels in our signatures on the forums. If I remember right, the RBN authors are trying to put up full band chart videos also.
    I know & I use that, from RBDLC also, but that really isnt't the deal here, we are talking about being thrown a bone every now and then because most of us buy a LOT of DLC and it seems reasonable to get a free one every now & then.

HMX - Maybe you could program something that would track purchases and after every 25 or so songs PURCHASED you could get 1 free one. (referring again to coffee punch cards, every 5th haircut free punch cards, video rentals etc etc.)

People, really, this isn't about trying to steal the bands money or have Rockband welfare, or redistribute songs to the less fortunate or any crap like that. Call it "customer appreciation" if it makes you feel better....
    edited June 2010
    General Lein979;3762582 said:
    Fixed that for you. It's bad to steel from the poor man, but ok to steal from the colossal giants from ages past (imo).
    Well, there are many who would disagree that it's ok to steal anything from anyone. This is typically an opinion that you may not want to share (not like anything bad will come) considering the type of forum here. But whether or not it's okay to take songs without cost is not the subject of this topic.