Rock Band 3 Midi Pro Adapter

DeathklokXDeathklokX Unsigned
edited October 2010 in Rock Band
Just a quick question, since the Fender Mustang controller has 17 frets and 102 buttons. Then would this: http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/images/oreilly/digitalmedia/2006/12/cool-midi-ez-ag.jpg
Work as a controller with the adapter. It only has 12 frets and 72 buttons. So I doubt it would work.

Comments

• BallisticJunkfoodBallisticJunkfood Headliner
    edited June 2010
    The MIDI adapter is only for keyboards and drums. No MIDI guitars.
  • DeathklokXDeathklokX Unsigned
    edited June 2010
    That's what I thought. Looks like Rock Band 3 is gonna cost me $320.
  • ZigZag2005ZigZag2005 Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    BallisticJunkfood;3775602 said:
    Whoa there, Tex. If it has a MIDI Out, it can be used to control the drums, or keyboards, at the very least. MIDI is MIDI. You'll have to work out which frets are appropriate, but yes, it will work
  • mbnasir6mbnasir6 Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    There are certain problems with your logic
    HMX have only said that it can be used as a MIDI Guitar
    If you connect it to the Drum Kit, the guitar just acts as a Midi Controller, so you can't use the drums AND guitar at the same time, because the guitar would act as the E Drums controller
    edited June 2010
    mbnasir6;3775966 said:
    There are certain problems with your logic
    HMX have only said that it can be used as a MIDI Guitar
    If you connect it to the Drum Kit, the guitar just acts as a Midi Controller, so you can't use the drums AND guitar at the same time, because the guitar would act as the E Drums controller
    Sorry, you lost me. :confused:
  • wickedbadzwickedbadz Banned
    edited June 2010
    BallisticJunkfood;3775602 said:
    Got proof of this statement? Because this wouldn't be a wise thing considering some people already own very expensive MIDI guitars and wouldn't be caught dead playing a cheap Squire
  • animemetalheadanimemetalhead Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    Well, the MIDI adapter also has a three-position switch right in the middle of it, so I'd imagine that it's there to select between Drums, Guitar, and Keyboards.
  • wickedbadzwickedbadz Banned
    edited June 2010
    animemetalhead;3776021 said:
    Well, the MIDI adapter also has a three-position switch right in the middle of it, so I'd imagine that it's there to select between Drums, Guitar, and Keyboards.
    Yeah I'm betting it'd have to support MIDI guitars already on the market if not that'd be dumb.
  • lucaspaul22lucaspaul22 Rising Star
    edited June 2010
    wickedbadz;3776001 said:
    Got proof of this statement? Because this wouldn't be a wise thing considering some people already own very expensive MIDI guitars and wouldn't be caught dead playing a cheap Squire
    So you play Rock Band which is basically plastic instruments, but you look down upon the Squire?
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited June 2010
    As of right now, they've only announced it would work with the drums and keyboards. John Drake also mentioned that they're using the technology from the MIDI adapter (not the adapter itself) to power the Squier, which makes me think it won't be able to work with MIDI guitars (because he'd have mentioned it being used in the Mustang too if it were).

Could be wrong, particularly in light of the revelation that the Squier is also a MIDI guitar. However, at the very least, you COULD use the MIDI guitar as a keyboard.
  • DarkPenfoldDarkPenfold Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    This article says the MIDI adapter supports MIDI guitars...
    http://gizmodo.com/5565453/hands-on-with-rock-band-3s-pro-guitar-and-keyboard-keytar?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+gizmodo%2Ffull+%28Gizmodo%29

Presuming that's accurate, I wonder if I could use my Telecaster in Guitar Pro mode via my ancient Line 6 POD's MIDI-out...? Hmmmm....

/strokes beard
  • malor89malor89 Unsigned
    edited June 2010
    I saw the gizmodo article last night and sent the author an email asking to confirm his statement about it working with guitar, because that article is the only one that ever mentions it. The Mad Catz press release just says midi drum and midi keyboard. But, I haven't seen anything saying it definitely doesn't support midi guitar either.

If it doesn't support midi guitar my guess would be that the game needs/wants to know your hand position at all times, where as a regular midi guitar probably just outputs the note(s) played.
  • mbnasir6mbnasir6 Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    On the OFFICIAL Press Release it ONLY says Drum and Keyboard
    Which only means Drum and Keyboard, should I say it again

A three-way wheel, have you actually had it in your hands and felt the three wheels? For all we know it's a button?
  • PoRtO rYcAnPoRtO rYcAn Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    DeathklokX;3775617 said:
    That's what I thought. Looks like Rock Band 3 is gonna cost me $320.
    It will cost me $415..I only have a RB! set...that's pretty much seen it's last day. So I want to go get a RB2 set with cymbals so I can play PRO drums
  • Ryder35Ryder35 Rising Star
    edited June 2010
    I am pretty sure it won't work with a midi guitar. As far as I understand it the midi pickup transmits note data? HMX use string and finger position data to determine what is being played. If you go with note data you would need to retune your guitar for alternate tunings etc.
  • malor89malor89 Unsigned
    edited June 2010
    PoRtO rYcAn;3776712 said:
    It will cost me $415..I only have a RB! set...that's pretty much seen it's last day. So I want to go get a RB2 set with cymbals so I can play PRO drums
    You may want to wait and see what Mad Catz ends up releasing for drums for RB3. It may just be RB2 drums bundled with the cymbal add-on or it may be something better.
  • Hellion4242Hellion4242 Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    malor89;3776544 said:
    If it doesn't support midi guitar my guess would be that the game needs/wants to know your hand position at all times, where as a regular midi guitar probably just outputs the note(s) played.
    Ryder35;3776752 said:
    I am pretty sure it won't work with a midi guitar. As far as I understand it the midi pickup transmits note data? HMX use string and finger position data to determine what is being played. If you go with note data you would need to retune your guitar for alternate tunings etc.
    Quoting for logic.
  • Ryder35Ryder35 Rising Star
    edited June 2010
    Albeit repetitive logic on my part!
    edited June 2010
    The fact of the matter is that any MIDI device that can generate the MIDI notes recognized by the MIDI Controller will be able to control it. This includes MIDI keyboards, drums, guitars, sequencers, and yes, even wind instruments.

And let's not forget. Only the guitar (and vox) provides visual feedback prior to strumming. I can't tell where my hand is on the keyboard, or which pad I'm preparing to hit, but I can do this with the guitar. And while it's a nice feature, it's not required by the game mechanic. The note(s) aren't played until the guitar is strummed. Therefore, the lack of positional sensing would not prevent a MIDI device from controlling anything the MIDI Controller emulates.

I suspect the MIDI Controller will emulate keyboard and drums, in both standard and pro mode, and, if guitar is emulated, standard guitar/bass. There is no reason to allow access to pro guitar/bass through the MIDI Controller, when there is a controller designed specifically for this mode.
  • Kellwolf9EKellwolf9E Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    Here's my question: they've said the Squier uses MIDI to send signals to the console. Question is, will you need the guitar AND the adapter, or will you just be able to go with the guitar by itself? I've got a MIDI keyboard in my closet, so it would actually be cheaper for me just to get the adapter instead of the new instrument, but we'll see once more stuff comes out. I'm hoping GameStop or someone has some demo stuff to try out at least a few weeks before the game comes out. They did for RB1 and 2.
    edited June 2010
    Kellwolf9E;3777484 said:
    Here's my question: they've said the Squier uses MIDI to send signals to the console. Question is, will you need the guitar AND the adapter, or will you just be able to go with the guitar by itself? I've got a MIDI keyboard in my closet, so it would actually be cheaper for me just to get the adapter instead of the new instrument, but we'll see once more stuff comes out. I'm hoping GameStop or someone has some demo stuff to try out at least a few weeks before the game comes out. They did for RB1 and 2.
    The Squire communicates with your console wirelessly, just like an RB1/2 guitar. It also has a MIDI Out jack. That lets you use it as a MIDI controller, as well. You use the guitar by itself. You use the adapter to connect your keyboard, or drums, via MIDI. I believe I read the adapter uses a USB connection to the console.
    edited June 2010
    mikejl46;3777485 said:
    Some of those photos clearly show a triple throw switch. :cool:

Keyboards / Drums / Guitar ?
  • LindeusLindeus Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    One could be "off" :\
  • animemetalheadanimemetalhead Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    ZigZag2005;3777559 said:
    Some of those photos clearly show a triple throw switch. :cool:

Keyboards / Drums / Guitar ?
    Oh, please, let this be true... I'd much rather install a MIDI pickup in my Epiphone than buy a whole new guitar that I won't use besides playing the game.
    edited June 2010
    Lindeus;3777576 said:
    One could be "off" :\
    Do your wired controllers have an 'off'? :p
    edited June 2010
    ZigZag2005;3777590 said:
    Do your wired controllers have an 'off'? :p
    *facepalm*

My bad.
    edited June 2010
    Ideally you could just use any midi guitar. I don't see it happening, and if anything, that third switch mode is for the squier and only the squier.
    edited June 2010
    animemetalhead;3777586 said:
    Oh, please, let this be true... I'd much rather install a MIDI pickup in my Epiphone than buy a whole new guitar that I won't use besides playing the game.
    For sure! Just don't expect to play pro guitar through this box. :(
  • krectuskrectus Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    Somewhat off topic here. But I really with they would have made the START button really big on the adapter so you can quickly pause it. Nothing worse than dropping a stick or the phone ringing and you have to fumble around to find the start button.