Ozone Entertainment needs your opinion!

TheOzoneTheOzone Road Warrior
edited August 2010 in The Rock Band Network
EDIT: This thread is regarding "Go Go Power Rangers" by Ron Wasserman

Hey Rockers,

So now I have a simple question for you people:

Hypothetically, let's say I'm a couple signatures and licensing fee payments away from securing the rights to music from a certain 90's children's television show. However, the master recordings were not in the best of conditions, as in, they may not be able to be formatted into stems for Rock Band.

Would you be opposed to brand new, hi-fi versions of this music recorded by the original artist for use in the Rock Band Network, or do you feel this would tarnish your connection to the original recordings and rather they not be done?

This is all hypothetical of course. ;)

Comments

• KoennKoenn Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    I've been fine with the quality of just about all of the re-records released for RB thus far; some of them have even put cool and unique spins on the original songs. Go for it! :)
  • BBladem83BBladem83 Unsigned
    edited June 2010
    If it's for what I think it is, I think sure. I personally think the original artist for this is good enough to make an AWESOME brand new, hi-fi version. :D
  • Ralphy2009Ralphy2009 Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    I wouldn't mind a re-record if it had to be done, but I would definitely prefer the original if at all possible. If the vocals were able to be isolated on the original, a hybrid version of original/re-record would be great too.
  • TheOzoneTheOzone Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    I'm technically not allowed to outright say what it is, but it is exactly what you think it is.
  • KoennKoenn Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    Okay, yeah, I'm fairly sure we're all on the same wavelength here and I'm really, really excited.
  • General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited June 2010
    How much would it cost to get the masters digitalized vs paying for studio (and I'm guessing session musicians if were talking about the same artist here) costs? (If I know you, it's that you always forget something with rbn stuff, and cost effective is my guess what you forgot to check here.)

I personally say go with what is more cost effective so you are still in business by the time you can get blue out.
    edited June 2010
    This was not recorded in a big fancy studio with multi-track. We're currently trying to find where the people in charge of the master stuffed it and seeing if there's at all any way possible to get it in the right format.

The chances are slim of it happening, but if we someone find a way we're obviously using the original. But we want to make sure that if we end up making a new epic version people won't reject and boycott it. The artist in question cares very much about the fans and requested this poll.
  • XenigmaXenigma Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    Provided the original artist is doing the re-records, sure, I'd fully support it. Now, since you obviously can't disclose what songs they are, can't give a 100% for sure opinion, but I'd imagine that being able to play a re-record beats not having the song at all. Heck, the re-record could be an opportunity to make the song more Rock Band-worthy, if the artist so chose. Go for it!

EDIT: Wavelength. Well, yeah, GO FOR IT! Don't have to be a fan of the show to want that. ;)
  • Edify1Edify1 Rising Star
    edited June 2010
    Oh wow...dare I dream what it is? I'd better not get my hopes up too high.

But if it is, indeed, that then I know if the artist had to re-record it, he'd do a phenomenal job with it. I'd buy and gladly play (and pay for) either version.
    edited June 2010
    You know what? Screw hiding what it is. I'll just outright say it since I doubt the artist cares whether or not I give it away now.

I opened up E3 with a big announcement of "Blue (Da Ba Dee).

I'm closing it by announcing I've almost finished acquiring the rights for "Go Go Power Rangers".

Happy E3 everyone.
    edited June 2010
    TheOzone;3779677 said:
    You know what? Screw hiding what it is. I'll just outright say it since I doubt the artist cares whether or not I give it away now.

I'm closing it by announcing I've almost finished acquiring the rights for "Go Go Power Rangers".

Happy E3 everyone.
    I wouldn't have done that. These are the screw ups I was talking about, at least wait tell the last signature to say the song or band on the record. You don't want this to go all crush 40 I'm sorry everyone this fell through the cracks, on us do you?
  • BBladem83BBladem83 Unsigned
    edited June 2010
    Hazaa! Drinks for all! -gets Capri-Suns for everyone-
    edited June 2010
    General Lein979;3779684 said:
    I wouldn't have done that. These are the screw ups I was talking about, at least wait tell the last signature to say the song or band on the record. You don't want this to go all crush 40 I'm sorry everyone this fell through the cracks, on us do you?
    Ron asked me to post this poll, and I've got paperwork literally in my possession that's only missing my signature.

So...yeah. Ron wants to know if you guys want a re-record or if you'd rather have "original version or nothing at all".
  • DekarTheDragoonDekarTheDragoon Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    I will take anything and everything Ron decides to put up, and if it is to be re-done I'm sure it will be fantastic as well. :D
  • GoatbusterGoatbuster Rising Star
    edited June 2010
    Hell yes. It'll probably be even better.

Also, that April Fools Day joke hurt me on a very deep emotional level. This should make up for it. :)
  • GraphicMangGraphicMang Rising Star
    edited June 2010
    I'm sure either will be great
    but what would be epic is this version
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7xstjQ9RnM
    from the movie YEAHA!
  • broncosfan06broncosfan06 Debbie Downer
    edited June 2010
    if its what i think it is.....and im fairly sure it is.....i would be ECSTATIC at ANY version or recording of it coming to RB
  • Dogmatic2020Dogmatic2020 Rising Star
    edited June 2010
    OMG YES.

Judging from his songs up for sale on the RBN already, he could have one of the best re-recordings available. His voice sounds exactly the same.
  • kiggidykevkiggidykev Thinks about pandas
    edited June 2010
    Fight Back was very well done, and if that's an indication to what the quality would be like, I'm all for the newer version.
  • non_zeronon_zero Opening Act
    edited June 2010
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited June 2010
    Short answer: YES.

Try your best to get the original, but based on "Fight Back", I think a re-record can do it justice.
  • Dogmatic2020Dogmatic2020 Rising Star
    edited June 2010
    non_zero;3779870 said:
    DO EEEEEET!l1
    ^ What he said.

:)
  • YoKozoYoKozo Unsigned
    edited June 2010
    Big PR fan here, and I would love to have the original recording if possible, but if it's not gonna be up to the best quality, a re-recording would do just fine. "Fight Back" was excellent, so I have faith that a newly recorded version from Ron would be great, or perhaps even greater. I'm sure even he would like it to sound as close as possible to what it was before so I trust he'll put the effort in making it sound awesome.
  • vedisvedis Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    if it can be done in any way, just get it done

i dont think people will complain if the masters have to be redone for this
    edited June 2010
    GraphicMang;3779792 said:
    I'm sure either will be great
    but what would be epic is this version
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7xstjQ9RnM
    from the movie YEAHA!
    Fun Fact: Ron was not involved in that version at all.

Ron actually told me a fun story about the recording session for that.
  • ReygnierReygnier Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    I want you to know that I'm buying a Xbox 360 just to play this as soon as it gets released.

I got faith that Ron will make it sound just like the original.
    edited June 2010
    Reygnier;3779931 said:
    I want you to know that I'm buying a Xbox 360 just to play this as soon as it gets released.

I got faith that Ron will make it sound just like the original.
    Don't buy it just yet. Remember hiccups can happen, so wait until it eventually appears in Playtesting (which could take a while with finishing the licensing, looking into the original masters' condition, and possibly re-recording).

Trust me, I didn't want to get the hype machine running full steam yet. But Ron asked me to get your opinion since we hit the snag regarding the stems. So everyone don't freak out yet. When you see "Go Go Power Rangers (v1) has been submitted for Playtesting" THEN you can go crazy.
    edited June 2010
    TheOzone;3779695 said:
    Ron asked me to post this poll, and I've got paperwork literally in my possession that's only missing my signature.

So...yeah. Ron wants to know if you guys want a re-record or if you'd rather have "original version or nothing at all".
    Oh you're good then unless if you loose both your arms. So to finnally answer the question Re-record as close the original as possible is good (you can edit it a to make it more enjoyable just don't change the overall feel).
  • Edify1Edify1 Rising Star
    edited June 2010
    TheOzone;3779677 said:

Happy E3 everyone.
    If this goes through, you'll literally be my favorite RBN authoring company. :D I love Blue (Da Ba Dee) and the Power Rangers anthem will be great. I'll definitely take a re-record.
  • --terrorisly--terrorisly Rising Star
    edited June 2010
    If you can't get the original, then I'll be perfectly happy with a rerecord. But this is exciting :D