Meshuggah - "Bleed"

PakasonPakason Unsigned
edited June 2010 in The Rock Band Network
When I read that "Bleed" by Meshuggah is being released on RBN I was so stoked. After seeing the upcoming DLC of the week I knew only RBN can save the week for me, and it sure did.

This has got to be one of my favorite bands, 7 minutes of pure madness for 1 buck, can't really get any better than this. I hope we're gonna get few more songs from Meshuggah, that would be really awesome. Good luck to all the drummer who are going to get it. Lets see who will be first to FC it. :)

Here's a short version of the song, missing 2 minutes from it. Crazy video clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc98u-eGzlc

Comments

• Meatwad555Meatwad555 Merch-Table
    edited June 2010
    It is? I would buy if I thought I had any chance of beating it.
  • D_Marc2005D_Marc2005 Unsigned
    edited June 2010
    Sweet, I won't get too excited until I see gameplay footage though. I do believe the drums will be fairly inhibited by the lack of a second pedal. Don't mind so much on blast beats, but with polyrythyms it is more of a necessity.
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited June 2010
    Pakason;3786578 said:
    7 minutes of pure madness for 1 buck
    I think it's 2 dollars.
  • Nathaniel607Nathaniel607 Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    I don't think this will be very fun to play...

It's just a lot and a lot of strumming, and not many notes...

I dunno. To me, Meshuggah seem to concentrate too much on rhythm and just ignore pitch.
  • macamaticmacamatic Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    Nathaniel607;3786659 said:

I dunno. To me, Meshuggah seem to concentrate too much on rhythm and just ignore pitch.
    We're all talking about drums. Nobody cares about guitar on Meshuggah songs (for exactly the reason you just said). :p
  • decyferdownrocksdecyferdownrocks Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    Is this song in the actual store yet? I saw a download link on the XBL marketplace but I have yet to see it in the in-game store.
  • cmajpwccmajpwc Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    Win. This makes me a happy drummer =]
  • MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    Much ado about nothing, I'm of two minds on this...

1) I *love* their ObZen album for its metric and mathematical complexity when it comes to rhythm. It's really where they shine.

2) Despite my love of the technical elements, they do ignore pitch and melody to much for my taste. Even the solos are done in broad modal strokes with exaggerated angular motion for contrast.

I do like when they occasionally drop out the rhythm and have a quiet moment, as they do in "Bleed". But in the end, I think I need a broader palette to be truly satisfied with an album: a great listen for when I'm in the mood, though, so it's always on my mp3 player.

- m
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, but a lot of bands have mathematic complexity AND pitch. I think Meshuggah are just stuck using it as a gimmick. To me, it just seems like they're are trying to be all avante-garde, but some of their songs on Catch Thirty-Three ONLY HAVE 2 NOTES. Seriously, that's just stupid.
  • Space CadetSpace Cadet Unsigned
    edited June 2010

I've played it (on guitar) and you can easily beat it, but keeping a combo is almost impossible. Not very fun to play as it is just one note and weird rhythms. I love Meshuggah, but that song is a pain to play.

My buddy said the drums were fun...
  • ToolShuggahToolShuggah Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    Ugh I can't find it. I need this NAO!
    Also, time to update my bands list as 2 are now in there!
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited June 2010
    Nathaniel607;3787386 said:
    To me, it just seems like they're are trying to be all avante-garde, but some of their songs on Catch Thirty-Three ONLY HAVE 2 NOTES.
    while i've never been a meshuggah fan their atonality and minimalist approach is what makes them more avant-garde than many technical metal bands that people throw the label at.
    edited June 2010
    Haven't you guys ever heard it's not what you know, it's how you know it!
    Or something like that. Skill helps you, but if you play all the wrong notes it doesn't matter much.
    Anyway, seriously. Can someone give me a link because I can't find it.
    edited June 2010
    How do you find Rock Band Network from Xbox.com?
  • moomandwwmoomandww Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    ToolShuggah;3787457 said:
    Ugh I can't find it. I need this NAO!
    Also, time to update my bands list as 2 are now in there!
    Here ya go:

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/offers/8000037c-0000-4000-8000-000045410869
  • decyferdownrocksdecyferdownrocks Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    Is there any way to get this song aside from the website? I don't have an 18+ account and Ive been dying for this song ever since i heard it was in playtesting.
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited June 2010
    decyferdownrocks;3787565 said:
    Is there any way to get this song aside from the website? I don't have an 18+ account and Ive been dying for this song ever since i heard it was in playtesting.
    Then there's no choice but to wait for tomorrow for the store to be updated.
  • voodoo618voodoo618 Headliner
    edited June 2010
    Don't Meshuggah use like 5 different notes each song? lol

Charting should be easy. ;)
    edited June 2010
    Just bought and played it. Guitar chart seems right, however there's a trick to strumming it to make it easier, which for me kinda threw off the way it's supposed to go. But oh well. Drums is where's it's at. I just spent an hour practicing and holy cow it's awesome. It really helps with coordination. If you can beat Bleed by Meshuggah on drums you shouldn't have ANY problem with any beat of any song. I'm an expert drummer, but this song really made all other songs seem easy. After playing this it just feels like all other songs are missing something.
    edited June 2010
    afterstasis;3787496 said:
    while i've never been a meshuggah fan their atonality and minimalist approach is what makes them more avant-garde than many technical metal bands that people throw the label at.
    http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/m/meshuggah/disenchantment_guitar_pro.htm

This is not minimilist. This is just lazy.

It's not hard to write, just pick a note, then a not that doesn't go with it, then just start randomly flailing them about in mental rhythms. That's my problem with them, they think they're being clever, but they're just being daft.

To be fair, this is my opinion with a lot of avant-garde stuff. Oh, look at me, I'm John Cage, I'm going to write a piece with no notes in it, how deep is that? No. It's just stupid.

I'd better stop arguing before I derail the whole topic, lol. Well, I'm not getting "Bleed".
  • DekarTheDragoonDekarTheDragoon Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    I played the demo on drums and it seemed really repetitive. Not boring like I was gonna fall asleep during it, obviously, but yeah. Lacked anything exciting that would make me want to do that for 7 minutes so I guess it's just not for me :p
  • TaskusorsaTaskusorsa Unsigned
    edited June 2010
    Nathaniel607;3788377 said:

But it sounds so good, man.

Edit: And I don't really see the point of taking time to explain why you don't like some music. Why not use that time to listening to the music you do like? Just a general observation, nothing against you, Nathaniel.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited June 2010
    Isn't this song just a bunch of double bass pedal on drums? Doesn't seem like it would be very much fun...
  • Lady SiaraLady Siara Metal Maiden
    edited June 2010
    BohemianMatt;3788454 said:
    Isn't this song just a bunch of double bass pedal on drums? Doesn't seem like it would be very much fun...
    Especially with just one pedal. :D
  • QuazifujiQuazifuji Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    BohemianMatt;3788454 said:
    Most of the drumming in the song is just weird double bass polyrhythms, but the chart seems to have been done in a way that maintains the polyrhythms even though you only have one pedal. It looks reasonably tricky and varied in videos, and from what I hear the drums are much harder to play than they look.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited June 2010
    Nathaniel607;3788377 said:
    http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/m/meshuggah/disenchantment_guitar_pro.htm

It's not hard to write, just pick a note, then a not that doesn't go with it, then just start randomly flailing them about in mental rhythms. That's my problem with them, they think they're being clever, but they're just being daft.

To be fair, this is my opinion with a lot of avant-garde stuff. Oh, look at me, I'm John Cage, I'm going to write a piece with no notes in it, how deep is that? No. It's just stupid.
    not to throw the "you just don't get it" card out, but if you're complaining about laziness in minimalist music then you probably just don't get it. :)

also, while i'm not a fan of meshuggah you best not be bringing john cage into this or we gonna throw down.
  • AnayalataAnayalata Rising Star
    edited June 2010
    Quazifuji;3788848 said:
    It looks reasonably tricky and varied in videos, and from what I hear the drums are much harder to play than they look.
    Yes. The drum chart is a lot harder to play than you'd think from watching the video. I barely 5* it on my first run. Sheesh
    edited June 2010
    afterstasis;3788857 said:
    not to throw the "you just don't get it" card out, but if you're complaining about laziness in minimalist music then you probably just don't get it. :)

also, while i'm not a fan of meshuggah you best not be bringing john cage into this or we gonna throw down.
    Lol, I'm not that familliar with him, I just hate the idea of 4:33.

Yeah, I do not get it.
  • Fragory123Fragory123 Rising Star
    edited June 2010
    This song is going to destroy my leg alright. I tried the demo and its not really difficult, it's just exhausting. I can definatley pass it if the whole song is like that, but I won't be able to feel my leg by the end of it.
  • lysergicidelysergicide Unsigned
    edited June 2010
    Meshuggah is't minimalist as much as it is subtle. Listen to this song inattentively, and you will miss much of it's complexity.

I think it's charted rather well on drums at least, considering that there is only one pedal to chart the bass to. To play this song in real life is next to impossible, and there are probably only a handful of drummers who could do it.