RBN PS3 app

bitcloudrzrbitcloudrzr Unsigned
edited July 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Now that very independent apps like Steamworks being included for Valve games and various apps being developed for PS3 and some already coming out like the MLB.tv app, will Harmonix consider putting a full app to download on PSN?

It seems like you will have almost no limitations to this and even sidestep a lot of the certification processes, putting up it's own network, kind of like what Valve is planning for it's own games that are going to be released on PS3. Hopefully you guys put this through because an independent app would be amazing for the kind of thing you want RBN to be.

Comments

• ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited June 2010
    How do we know that the Steam app will sidestep cert process?

Sure if it does that's one step closer to a RBN type of infastructure, but we don't know the details of how it will work yet.
  • dark_archondark_archon Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, I can see Valve allowing Sony to connect to their servers... From what I gather, Portal 2 will just connect to Valve's Steam servers and synchronize saved games from their Cloud. There's no special "Sony-Valve collaboration Infrastructure" here.

Why would MICROSOFT, Sony's nemesis, allow SONY to do that?
  • J-ProtegeJ-Protege Unsigned
    edited June 2010
    The problem is that all the songs in RBN belong to that artist, they get paid per download.
    Those artists have accounts setup with Microsoft (not HMX), and RBN simply connects the game to those Microsoft servers.
    To allow this same setup to work on PS3, either Sony would have to make a whole new system, and have all those artists re-sign up for Sony's version, or Microsoft would have to share their current system with Sony.

Either way, it's not as simple as Steamworks, which is just an app run 100% by VALVe. It doesn't have all of the individual contributors like RBN does.
  • bitcloudrzrbitcloudrzr Unsigned
    edited June 2010
    Valve is side stepping Sony's update system for patches and doing cloud saves and anything else you can think of that won't be a waste or conflict. Like they will use PSN friends list, PS3 trophies. It's the full steamworks on the PS3.

The app I'm thinking of on PS3 for RBN would be whatever Harmonix thinks of making. Wanted to point out that Sony is really open with this kind of thing on the PS3. Remember that the reason PSN doesn't do everything for the dev is so the devs can make their own robust......network for their games for example. There is no set way to do things.

I'm not 100% on all of this as anyone else is, but it seems like Harmonix has the freedom to build something they want from the ground up. May seem like a little work, but the rewards of that seem greater.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited June 2010
    Except that whatever system was put in place by HMX, it would involve Sony having to pull the content from MS....since that is who handles the storage and distribution of RBN content.
  • bitcloudrzrbitcloudrzr Unsigned
    edited June 2010
    T-Hybrid;3796043 said:
    Except that whatever system was put in place by HMX, it would involve Sony having to pull the content from MS....since that is who handles the storage and distribution of RBN content.
    Well I don't know how they are going to get through or around that, but again, HMX will basically have the freedom to run their own deal without needing Sony over their shoulder this way. I know it's probably not as simple, and I admit I'm not too familiar with the whole process.
  • kevinsanokevinsano Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    Since the entire system is heavily reliant on Microsoft's XNA infrastructure already being in place, and how transactions are also reliant on XNA memberships, at best we're going to get 2 seperate RBN stores with the "songs being exclusive to a console" dillema going in BOTH ways. I don't see that as a benefit to either console.
  • Ruz-ElRuz-El Rising Star
    edited July 2010
    kevinsano;3802796 said:
    Since the entire system is heavily reliant on Microsoft's XNA infrastructure already being in place, and how transactions are also reliant on XNA memberships, at best we're going to get 2 seperate RBN stores with the "songs being exclusive to a console" dillema going in BOTH ways. I don't see that as a benefit to either console.
    So the RBN network songs I buy for the PS3 come off the Microsoft server? If not, then I don't see any reason why Harmonix wouldn't set up it's own store on the PS3 network if it could since such a thing could potentially bypass the certification window on the regular PSN. It's not like they don;t want their product available to as many people as possible, and right now the RBN on PS3 is sucking the dog content wise compared to the 360.

Didn't the RB3 press release indicate better infrastructure for the RBN? Maybe it extends past just incorporating content into set lists and improves the availability for the PS3? The PS3 RB2 always seemed to be playing catchup to the 360, maybe RB3 will level the playing field?
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited July 2010
    Ruz-El;3824517 said:
    If not, then I don't see any reason why Harmonix wouldn't set up it's own store on the PS3 network if it could since such a thing could potentially bypass the certification window on the regular PSN.
    Harmonix would have to host the files on their own servers and handle the payroll themselves. What they've done already has been a big enough undertaking; some things are beyond the scope of a company like that. The reason Valve are able to do this is because they've had their own successful store on the PC for years.
    edited July 2010
    How are RBN acts paid when purchased out of the PSN? I'm not being argumentative, I'm just trying to understand why it would be so difficult. Harmonix already have some type of store in software that links to the PSN. Why can't they have one hosted on a server that's also linked to the PSN? You pick the songs in the RB software, click the cart and you go to the PSN store for the final transaction. Doesn't sound all that hard.

Setting up a separate server to host the PS3 files might be a pain at first, but once going the benefit of added sales would surely make it worth while no?
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    kevinsano;3802796 said:
    You could have them ported over like they are now
  • murphmurph Rising Star
    edited July 2010
    bitcloudrzr;3795992 said:
    I'm not 100% on all of this as anyone else is, but it seems like Harmonix has the freedom to build something they want from the ground up. May seem like a little work, but the rewards of that seem greater.
    Which they already did once already on X360/XNA. So why should they do it again?
    edited July 2010
    murph;3824662 said:
    Which they already did once already on X360/XNA. So why should they do it again?
    To maximize income potential on a flagging video game genre?
  • murphmurph Rising Star
    edited July 2010
    Ruz-El;3824673 said:
    To maximize income potential on a flagging video game genre?
    By spending a boatload of time and $$ to re-create what they've already setup?
    edited July 2010
    murph;3824695 said:
    By spending a boatload of time and $$ to re-create what they've already setup?
    Converting and adapting, they shouldn't have to rebuild it from the ground up. The money spent on R&D is already spent on the 360. They just have to convert that platform to the PS3. Seeing how they have a music store for the PS3 that's already linked to the PSN, I doubt it's the huge issue you're making it out to be. It would help pay for what has already been spent.

And Harmonix has already made it clear that their wish would be to have RBN content released day and date on the PS3 that it is on the 360, it's not like they are actively anti-PS3.
    edited July 2010
    Ruz-El;3824725 said:
    Converting and adapting, they shouldn't have to rebuild it from the ground up. The money spent on R&D is already spent on the 360. They just have to convert that platform to the PS3. Seeing how they have a music store for the PS3 that's already linked to the PSN, I doubt it's the huge issue you're making it out to be. It would help pay for what has already been spent.

And Harmonix has already made it clear that their wish would be to have RBN content released day and date on the PS3 that it is on the 360, it's not like they are actively anti-PS3.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Teasdale say in an interview they were working to find a way to bring it to PS3 that didn't end up with everyone being a seperate vendor?
  • kevinsanokevinsano Opening Act
    edited July 2010
    TubaDude49;3824606 said:
    You could have them ported over like they are now
    That's kind of my point. A seperate PS3 structure would have an exclusive RBN song listing that would have to be ported over the 360 now too. This problem will persist as long as RBN stays reliant on XNA.
    edited July 2010
    Thinking about it, I wouldn't mind going through the hassle of becoming a vendor. http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195020