Question concerning the new 360/Data Migration/DRM Transfer

jtrousdjtrousd Road Warrior
edited June 2010 in Less Rokk More Talk
Hello hippos! I have a question concerning Rock Band (sort of).

I've e-mailed Microsoft about this, but in typical MS fashion, they didn't answer the question as I asked it.

My original query was about the new 360. I've done a data transfer from a 20GB to a 120GB HDD before, and I wanted to verify with them that data transfer did not constitute DRM transfer (since I still used the same XBox). This is mainly because I'm extremely interested in this deal GameStop has going (see here) where you can trade in your old 360 towards the purchase of the new, slimmer 360.

They responded with an explanation of the DRM transfer, and asked me if my XBox was freezing. I swear these responses are formed automatically by a program which scans for key words.

So, forum, since I can count on you to answer my questions, am I in the clear as far as getting the new 360? Remember, I've only done a data transfer, and it's my understanding the licenses to DLC are strictly tied to the system, not the HDD.

Thanks, homies.

Comments

• voodoo618voodoo618 Headliner
    edited June 2010
    So, you haven't done the license transfer thing?

The once-a-year-only switch?
  • jtrousdjtrousd Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    Do you work for Microsoft, too? Kidding.

No, I haven't. I've strictly done a data migration from one HDD to another, but have used only one console.

I realize I've probably answered my own question at this point, but hearing it from someone else would be satisfying.
    edited June 2010
    jtrousd;3795224 said:
    Do you work for Microsoft, too? Kidding.

No, I haven't. I've strictly done a data migration from one HDD to another, but have used only one console.

I realize I've probably answered my own question at this point, but hearing it from someone else would be satisfying.
    Yeah, you should be able to switch the licenses over via their website, I believe.
  • maitee1maitee1 Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    XBox License Transfer Process

This should help you out with your license transfer and as voodoo says you can only do license transfers once a year
  • jtrousdjtrousd Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    I feel sufficiently comfortable with purchasing the new 360 now.

My only concern was that there would be an issue of having done a data migration. Since there is no issue, I'll be jumping on this deal this weekend.

Thanks for the assistance, guys.
    edited June 2010
    jtrousd;3795232 said:
    I feel sufficiently comfortable with purchasing the new 360 now.

My only concern was that there would be an issue of having done a data migration. Since there is no issue, I'll be jumping on this deal this weekend.

Thanks for the assistance, guys.
    I've done it once and it's pretty simple.

Which is good, because Microsoft likes technicality.