Another thread asking about easy/medium players

weirdphilweirdphil Road Warrior
edited June 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Been playtesting some songs today and have been finding a few songs with orange notes in medium, and some orange and blue notes on easy. I haven't played easy/medium since Guitar Hero 2, so I'm a little out of the loop. Not mentioning the titles, but these songs have orange and blue notes during solos and/or brief moments right before the chorus, on Easy mode. I'm doing my (now) usual playtesting, (recently finished a job, so while I've been on XNA for a few months now, I'm only now really getting into the playtesting) and I'm stuck trying to figure out whether to thumbs up or thumbs down a particular song for guitar/bass having said blue and orange notes on easy mode. Obviously peer review would catch this and, I would think, make a better judgment than I can, I just want to get you opinions on these blue/orange notes, what you think of seeing sporadic and infrequent blue/orange notes on your easy/medium charts, so I can note this for future reference. I'm under the impression at the moment that these notes are like poison to you easy/medium players.

Comments

  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited June 2010
    Its the new rules for all RB songs now. Easy songs must have atleast one blue and one orange, and medium songs must have one orange. Its to get players use to the other buttons and hand switching.

    I think its great. Ive been trying to get my buddy to move up to hard forever. But hes doesnt want to change hand postion.

    Check out this thread:

    http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192487
  • weirdphilweirdphil Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    Ehfahq;3802839 said:
    I think its great. Ive been trying to get my buddy to move up to hard forever. But hes doesnt want to change hand postion.
    I'm all for pushing easy/medium players to move on up. I've been trying to get a few friends to do just that for gold stars sakes, but those few friends are also lacking the dexterity to move their hands any further down the neck of the controller. One of those friends also has had an injury in his arm and has difficulty playing for long periods of time. I'm concerned whether this is going to impact the fun that people have with the game. With that thread in mind, yeah I'll pass the song. I'm just kinda weirded out that HMX would do that.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited June 2010
    weirdphil;3802890 said:
    I'm all for pushing easy/medium players to move on up. I've been trying to get a few friends to do just that for gold stars sakes, but those few friends are also lacking the dexterity to move their hands any further down the neck of the controller. One of those friends also has had an injury in his arm and has difficulty playing for long periods of time. I'm concerned whether this is going to impact the fun that people have with the game. With that thread in mind, yeah I'll pass the song. I'm just kinda weirded out that HMX would do that.
    You really should be following the Creator's Club forums if you going to be playtesting. This information was posted in the Announcment forum a while ago and all playtesters should already know about it.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited June 2010
    Yeah this is a new hard rule from HMX.

    And the easy drum charts MUST contain at least one kick as well(used to be some authors would remove kicks for the easy chart).

    So it's not a question of do the players prefer it, it's a new rule so we can't fail them for following the rules.

    Official HMX DLC is going to have these notes on easy and medium very very soon as well.

    Now if there is a Green orange chord on anything other than expert, or a three note chord on anything other than expert...go right ahead and fail em ;)
  • aggiesrul8aggiesrul8 Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    This is definately an interesting development, but I think something that is logical. One or two blue/orange notes during the course of a song is not going to make or break someone. Doing this allows them to develop at least a general idea of how to hit the 'other' frets/buttons... :)
  • weirdphilweirdphil Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    Oh, yeah. Watching for chords and all that seemed like the normal thing to do. Caught me off my guard even after I read the announcement. On skype right now with one of those friends I mentioned. He ain't happy, and he also doesn't have an account here to voice his opinion.
    aggiesrul8;3803115 said:
    One or two blue/orange notes during the course of a song is not going to make or break someone. Doing this allows them to develop at least a general idea of how to hit the 'other' frets/buttons... :)
    I always laughed whenever those notes would pop up out of nowhere while my friends were playing. Now I fear for them :p
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited June 2010
    Things that you should be on the lookout for that are definite rule breakers.

    Chords on easy guitar/bass
    Gems on bass kicks on easy drums
    2 gems on bass kicks on medium drums
    No quick jump from green to orange or orange to green on easy guitar/bass.
    No Green blue, green orange, red orange chords on medium guitar/bass.
    No Three note chords on anything other than expert guitar/bass.
    No Green orange chords on hard guitar bass.
    No Green Yellow Orange three note chord ever.
    No Four or five note chord ever.
    The start of every vocal phrase should be capitalized.
    No other word outside of a proper noun should be capitalized in a vocal phrase.

    There's more, but these are the ones you should really be on the lookout for.
  • weirdphilweirdphil Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    I'm mostly concerned what current easy/medium players think of this change at this point.

    Noble, do you prefer to playtest vocals on static or scrolling. Just curious, I prefer static, exactly for those capitalization rules you've mentioned.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited June 2010
    weirdphil;3803309 said:
    I'm mostly concerned what current easy/medium players think of this change at this point.

    Noble, do you prefer to playtest vocals on static or scrolling. Just curious, I prefer static, exactly for those capitalization rules you've mentioned.


    Static. Not only is it easier to catch the caps/spelling errors, but if the cowbell/clap vocal event isn't authored correctly it will bunch up in static. It doesn't do that in scrolling, and the only way to catch it is to test in static.

    But I only play in scrolling...weird.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited June 2010
    weirdphil;3802890 said:
    I'm all for pushing easy/medium players to move on up. I've been trying to get a few friends to do just that for gold stars sakes, but those few friends are also lacking the dexterity to move their hands any further down the neck of the controller. One of those friends also has had an injury in his arm and has difficulty playing for long periods of time. I'm concerned whether this is going to impact the fun that people have with the game. With that thread in mind, yeah I'll pass the song. I'm just kinda weirded out that HMX would do that.
    Im concerned when it comes to showing new people how to play. They see me play a song on hard or expert and they are nervous to try easy. Until I tell them they dont have to worry about the other 2 buttons.

    But I have so many songs with out the new charting to show them how to play.
  • fuzzycat240fuzzycat240 Unsigned
    edited June 2010
    When I started playing RB2, I couldn't hit that orange button for the life of me. But I did wish that the medium had faster keying. I wasn't ready to go hard but I did want the medium to be harder. I think the new rules will turn out to be okay in the long run.
  • kevinsanokevinsano Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    Ehfahq;3802839 said:
    Its the new rules for all RB songs now. Easy songs must have atleast one blue and one orange, and medium songs must have one orange. Its to get players use to the other buttons and hand switching.[/url]
    Unless it's a rare case of the expert chart not having orange. The rule's actually that every color that appears in expert needs to appear at least once in the lower difficulties.
Sign In or Register to comment.