Best RBN Songs on PS3?

PuristPurist Rising Star
edited June 2010 in The Rock Band Network
I haven't downloaded a single song yet from RBN for PS3, mostly because I don't recognize any of the bands. (I'm one of those that have been exposed to rock primarily from this game.) That said, if I were to download 10 or 20 tracks that are guaranteed to be great party pleasers, what would you recommend? No metal.

Comments

  • GokuroroGokuroro Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    I'd recommend you to go to the RBN through the game itself and try listening for some of those songs.
    I just got myself 3 songs right now... One I don't even remember the name, then Code Monkey (got it with RockBandAide's code giving XD) and Creepy Doll.
  • NumskullNumskull Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    I don't know if it fits your definition of a party pleaser, but The Complexity of Light by Children of Nova is by far my favorite PS3 RBN track, and one of my top 10 overall RB songs.
  • NumskullNumskull Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    By the way, "no metal" eliminates about a third of all the PS3 RBN stuff so far.
  • PuristPurist Rising Star
    edited June 2010
    Thanks for the replies. I'll try to go through the list this weekend as well, but sometimes the snippets don't give you a full song indication.
  • FlawlessFlawless First Poster
    edited June 2010
    My list is...

    For The Love of God - Steve Vai
    Energy - Apples In Stereo
    Push, Push Lady Lightning - Bang Camaro
    Jumper 09 - Third Eye Blind
  • folkeyefolkeye Headliner
    edited June 2010
    Youtube is your friend. I didn't know a bunch of them either and picked up a few that I enjoyed after being introduced.

    Yeah 'no metal' narrows it down a bit :) I don't get much metal so here's a few that I have that I enjoy (non metal). As for 'crowd pleasers' eh, check 'em out:

    Finger Eleven: Paralyzer
    Third Eye Blind:Never Let You Go '09
    Third Eye Blind: Semi Charmed Life '09
    There For Tomorrow: A Little Faster
    The Stills: Being Here
    Jonathan Coulton: Code Monkey
    Stroke 9: Little Black Backpack '09
    Blackmarket:Tongue Twister Typo
    Flogging Molly: Drunken Lullabies (Live)
    Flogging Molly: Requiem for a Dying Song
  • PuristPurist Rising Star
    edited June 2010
    Numskull;3802989 said:
    By the way, "no metal" eliminates about a third of all the PS3 RBN stuff so far.
    That's the thing, no one at my parties know the metal. It can be fun to try and fail to it once in a while, but mostly people want recognizable stuff. I think only about 1/8 of RB in general is truly mega-popular.
  • JonnySegmentJonnySegment Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    I didn't recognise any of the bands (except one or two from previous games) either, but I youtube every week to see what takes my fancy. I've only downloaded two so far: Push Push and Drunken Lullabies. The latter is great fun on 'guitar' ;)
  • NumskullNumskull Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    Purist;3803015 said:
    That's the thing, no one at my parties know the metal. It can be fun to try and fail to it once in a while, but mostly people want recognizable stuff. I think only about 1/8 of RB in general is truly mega-popular.
    Now the problem is more obvious.

    Exposure to and for bands who aren't mega-popular is the primary purpose of the RBN. If party-pleasing is your main focus when selecting DLC purchases, then the RBN marketplace is going to be pretty much worthless to you.
  • ZigZag2005ZigZag2005 Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    Some of my bands favorite include:

    Australia - The Shins
    Even Rats - The Slip
    The Complexity of Light - Children of Nova
    When I Get Home You're So Dead - Mayday Parade
    He Sleeps in a Grove - Amberian Dawn

    The last one is classified as metal, but it sounds more prog to me...
  • TheComedianTheComedian Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    Even Rats - The Slip. Can't go wrong with this one. Bass is arguably more fun than guitar IMO
  • rocker820rocker820 Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    Austrailia
    Talk About
    When I Get Home Your So Dead
    Paralyzer
    Flight of the Concords songs
    Third Eye Blind songs
    Tongue Twister Typo
    Mechanical Love (its metal, but its very catchy, give it a listen)
    Bodies (this is a basic tune that you have to have)
    Push Push Lady Lightning
    Kick Some Ass
    Drunken Lullabies

    any of those are good.
  • aggiesrul8aggiesrul8 Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    If you want songs that are popular....

    Third Eye Blind - Jumper/Semi-Charmed Life
    Seether - Remedy
    Drowning Pool - Bodies
    Finger 11 - Paralyzer
  • Flan26Flan26 Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    Gokuroro;3802973 said:
    I'd recommend you to go to the RBN through the game itself and try listening for some of those songs.
    Unfortunately, the PS3 still doesn't have the ability to preview the songs on RBN.

    It's YouTube previews or bust.
  • ScottyTheBodyScottyTheBody Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    Third Eye Blind songs are good popular songs
    Drowning Pool was pretty popular too
    Code Monkey, The Future Soon (enjoyable for the nerds)
    The Most Beautiful Girl (in the Room) (this is great for parties and funny)
    Push Push is fun to play
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited June 2010
    There is metal in my setlist, but give them a youtube. These are all great songs....musical taste is of course subjective, but IMO these songs are awesome and should be in everyone's library :
    He Sleeps in a Grove - Amberian Dawn
    Burn it Down - Five Finger Death Punch
    Drunken Lullabies (Live) - Flogging Molly
    Mechanical Love - In This Moment
    Juke Joint Jezebel - KMFDM
    Survive - Lacuna Coil
    Lady in a Blue Dress - Senses Fail
    For the Love of God (Live) - Steve Vai
    Get the Hell Out of Here - Steve Vai
    The Attitude Song - Steve Vai
    Little Black Backpack '09 - Stroke 9
    Even Rats - The Slip
    Push Push (Lady Lightning) - Bang Camaro
    Stick Stickly - Attack Attack!
    I'm Made of Wax, Larry, What Are You Made Of? - A Day To Remember
    Collapsing - Demon Hunter
    Bodies - Drowning Pool
    Days Without - All That Remains
    I Know What I am - Band of Skulls
    Being Here - The Stills
    Remedy - Seether
    Energy - The Apples In Stereo
    Forever In Your Hands - All That Remains
  • ZigZag2005ZigZag2005 Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    Flan26;3803207 said:
    Unfortunately, the PS3 still doesn't have the ability to preview the songs on RBN.

    It's YouTube previews or bust.
    Whaaaa? :confused:

    RBNS in-game shows and delivers previews for me.
  • aggiesrul8aggiesrul8 Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    ZigZag2005;3803263 said:
    Whaaaa? :confused:

    RBNS in-game shows and delivers previews for me.
    There is still a problem on many folks' PS3s (in the United States it seems) where we cannot preview songs on the RBN. HMX is working on a solution to this, but as of now, I have yet to have a preview when looking at the in-game RBN on the PS3.

    Visit http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190086 for discussion about this problem....
  • ZigZag2005ZigZag2005 Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    aggiesrul8;3803891 said:
    There is still a problem on many folks' PS3s (in the United States it seems) where we cannot preview songs on the RBN. HMX is working on a solution to this, but as of now, I have yet to have a preview when looking at the in-game RBN on the PS3.

    Visit http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190086 for discussion about this problem....
    First I've heard of it. :( Thanks for the info. :cool:

    I guess sometimes it does pay not to be an American. ;)
  • MF-PO'dMF-PO'd Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    ZigZag2005;3803968 said:
    First I've heard of it. :( Thanks for the info. :cool:

    I guess sometimes it does pay not to be an American. ;)
    I'm in Canada, too, and the preview option doesn't exist for me. :(
  • FlawlessFlawless First Poster
    edited June 2010
    No preview for me either, checked about an hour and a half ago.
  • NumskullNumskull Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    noble;3803253 said:
    There is metal in my setlist, but give them a youtube. These are all great songs....musical taste is of course subjective, but IMO these songs are awesome and should be in everyone's library :
    He Sleeps in a Grove - Amberian Dawn
    Burn it Down - Five Finger Death Punch
    Drunken Lullabies (Live) - Flogging Molly
    Mechanical Love - In This Moment
    Juke Joint Jezebel - KMFDM
    Survive - Lacuna Coil
    Lady in a Blue Dress - Senses Fail
    For the Love of God (Live) - Steve Vai
    Get the Hell Out of Here - Steve Vai
    The Attitude Song - Steve Vai
    Little Black Backpack '09 - Stroke 9
    Even Rats - The Slip
    Push Push (Lady Lightning) - Bang Camaro
    Stick Stickly - Attack Attack!
    I'm Made of Wax, Larry, What Are You Made Of? - A Day To Remember
    Collapsing - Demon Hunter
    Bodies - Drowning Pool
    Days Without - All That Remains
    I Know What I am - Band of Skulls
    Being Here - The Stills
    Remedy - Seether
    Energy - The Apples In Stereo
    Forever In Your Hands - All That Remains
    Dude, the OP wants to A) narrow it down and B) get good songs. That list includes about half of all the RBN tracks on PS3, and it doesn't include the best one of all, which is The Complexity of Light. No cookie for you.

    Seriously, now...we don't need to agree on what qualifies as a great song, but I think it would be more helpful if you whittle down your list a bit.
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    To be honest, you're saying everyone should have Stick Stickly, but I wouldn't get that if someone payed me...
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited June 2010
    Numskull;3805211 said:
    Dude, the OP wants to A) narrow it down and B) get good songs. That list includes about half of all the RBN tracks on PS3, and it doesn't include the best one of all, which is The Complexity of Light. No cookie for you.

    Seriously, now...we don't need to agree on what qualifies as a great song, but I think it would be more helpful if you whittle down your list a bit.

    Those ARE all great songs. IMO.

    I have almost 200 RBN tracks on the 360.

    The songs I listed are great songs, AND I have fun playing them.

    So to ME they are great songs, and he did ask for a list of what we thought were the good songs on the PS3.

    Which I provided for him ;)
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited June 2010
    hiimSMAP;3805242 said:
    To be honest, you're saying everyone should have Stick Stickly, but I wouldn't get that if someone payed me...


    And that's your opinion. So make a list of songs YOU think the op should own.
  • metalhead27metalhead27 Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    hiimSMAP;3805242 said:
    To be honest, you're saying everyone should have Stick Stickly, but I wouldn't get that if someone payed me...
    I agree.

    The songs I've had the most enjoyment with are:

    Blackmarket- Tongue Twister Typo
    In This Moment- Mechanical Love
    Clutch- The Mob Goes Wild
    Unearth- We Are Not Anonymous

    Most of them with the exception of the last one are only moderately difficult, so it depends on what you like to play.

    EDIT: Forgot about the no-metal stipulation, so Unearth is definitely out, but In This Moment is probably inoffensive enough even for people who don't usually like the aggressive stuff.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited June 2010
    Push Push Lady Lightning
    Paralyzer
    Code Monkey

    Those are the top 3 IMHO.

    Juke Joint Jezebel looks like fun too.
  • Wilkins IIIWilkins III Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    You should YouTube "Sequestered in Memphis" by The Hold Steady. I personally think that song's great.
  • CommonCriminalCommonCriminal The Stork Whisperer
    edited June 2010
    All awesome songs with no metal!

    Jumper 09
    Even Rats
    Australia
    Push Push (Lady Lightning)
    All 3 Flight of the Conchords' songs
    Talk About
    Energy
    Heimdalsgate Like a Promethean Curse
    Paralyzer
  • MistressDMistressD Rising Star
    edited June 2010
    "Paralyzer" is a definite must. Sorry I can't offer more, the rest of my list is metal!
Sign In or Register to comment.