Michael Jackson

Rocket2RussiaRocket2Russia Road Warrior
edited June 2010 in History of Rock
Has it really been one full year since the king of pop died? Where were you? What is/are your favorite album/s by the man? What personal experiences did he have some part in ("Thriller" playing during your first kiss, etc.)?

I was at the Hyatt pool in Huntington Beach, CA, and I remember no one believing the guy who came out and announced it, and when everyone finally stopped thinking it was a joke, a few people cried, and they played some Michael Jackson music for the next couple of hours.

My favorite album by him is Off the Wall, but all that I've heard is grade A material.

Comments

• CommonCriminalCommonCriminal The Stork Whisperer
    edited June 2010
    I don't really like his music, though you'll get your head cut off for saying that here.
  • Rocket2RussiaRocket2Russia Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    instantdeath999;3804111 said:
    I'm honestly not a huge MJ fan... although one song that sticks out in my mind that I really like is "Human Nature".
    CommonCriminal;3804128 said:
    I don't really like his music, though you'll get your head cut off for saying that here.
    Wow. More apathy than I expected. That's cool, though. Not everyone has to love the guy. As long as this thread doesn't become a discussion of his personal life, I'm cool with other opinions. :)
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited June 2010
    I remember Freshman year for marching band having to learn a simplified Thriller dance routine, that wasn't too bad. I like Michael Jackson's music but from what I heard of his Jackson 5 stuff, I prefer that stuff to his solo material.
  • bjyaritzbjyaritz Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    Off The Wall is my fav album by MJ. I really like J5 stuff too.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited June 2010
    JukeBoxHero;3804173 said:
    I remember Freshman year for marching band having to learn a simplified Thriller dance routine, that wasn't too bad. I like Michael Jackson's music but from what I heard of his Jackson 5 stuff, I prefer that stuff to his solo material.
    Agreed. I was never big on the "dancing" part of his music, though.
  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited June 2010
    JukeBoxHero;3804173 said:
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!

when i was in marching band sophmore year of high school our halftime show was all about Michael Jackson songs. We did "Thriller", "Billie Jean" and "ABC/I Want You Back" [via Jackson 5]
  • TheRollingBonesTheRollingBones Headliner
    edited June 2010
    Hard to believe it's already been a year. I think my favorite album is a tie between Off The Wall and Thriller, and my favorite song is, and always has been, Beat It. I'm excited because next year we learn to learn the Thriller dance in gym class. :D
    edited June 2010
    TheRollingBones;3804305 said:
    I'm excited because next year we learn to learn the Thriller dance in gym class. :D
    *Throws up*
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited June 2010
    neckermanncj;3804286 said:
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!

when i was in marching band sophmore year of high school our halftime show was all about Michael Jackson songs. We did "Thriller", "Billie Jean" and "ABC/I Want You Back" [via Jackson 5]
    We had a very odd setlist. It consisted of the following.

Metallica-Enter Sandman
    Iron Butterfly-In A Gadda Da Vida
    Michael Jackson-Thriller
  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited June 2010
    JukeBoxHero;3804339 said:
    We had a very odd setlist. It consisted of the following.

Metallica-Enter Sandman
    Iron Butterfly-In A Gadda Da Vida
    Michael Jackson-Thriller
    lol
  • MrFruitLordMrFruitLord Headliner
    edited June 2010
    I had gotten out of seeing Up for the second time, with one of my friends, when his dad told us Michael Jackson had died.
  • dman2309dman2309 Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    Thriller is an excellent album. I'm gonna be bold and say P.Y.T is my favorite track off that album.
    edited June 2010
    dman2309;3807409 said:
    Thriller is an excellent album. I'm gonna be bold and say P.Y.T is my favorite track off that album.
    That's my least favorite :eek:

My two favorites are Human Nature and Want to be Startin' Something
    edited June 2010
    dman2309;3807409 said:
    I'm gonna be bold and say P.Y.T is my favorite track off that album.
    I guess this means you...
    instantdeath999;3807416 said:
    Want to be Startin' Something
    :p
    edited June 2010
    PRETTY YOUNG THING REPEAT AFTER ME SAY NA NA NA

/caps
    edited June 2010
    The end chant of Startin' Something is just gold.

Like I mentioned, not the biggest fan, but Thriller is a near flawless album. Only two tracks I don't love are PYT and The Lady in my Life.
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited June 2010
    Im not as big of an MJ fan as i used to be but "Don't stop till you get enough" is a goddamn classic.
    edited June 2010
    Then again, my all time fav MJ track is Don't Stop Til You Get Enough and nothing will ever change that.
  • citizenCEROcitizenCERO Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    dman2309;3807649 said:
    Then again, my all time fav MJ track is Don't Stop Til You Get Enough and nothing will ever change that.
    this this this.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited June 2010
    people who don't like "Don't Stop Till You Get Enough" don't matter to me
    edited June 2010
    a21schizoidman;3807667 said:
    people who don't like "Don't Stop Till You Get Enough" don't matter to me
    Everyone should live by this motto.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited June 2010
    dman2309;3807676 said:
    Everyone should live by this motto.
    that those people don't matter to me?
  • CEEDZ13CEEDZ13 Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    Not a big fan. I do like his hits, but I couldn't get through Thriller as an album.
    edited June 2010
    a21schizoidman;3807696 said:
    that those people don't matter to me?
    Yes. Anyone who dislikes DSTYGE does not matter.
    edited June 2010
    CEEDZ13;3807754 said:
    Not a big fan. I do like his hits, but I couldn't get through Thriller as an album.
    Thriller as an album IS his hits.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited June 2010
    dman2309;3807649 said:
    yeah, same here. killer ****ing track.
  • sonicnerd23sonicnerd23 Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    I remember where I was at the time of his death. I was on vacation in Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula on a ferry headed back to Playa del Carmen from Cozumel. At the end of the ferry ride, my mom told me that these guys were saying that Michael Jackson had died. I thought it was too horrible to be true, as it just came on so sudden. Unfortunately, when I got back to the hotel we were staying at, I found out that it was all too true by watching the news. Although I did not cry, I was shocked that his death just happened so unexpectedly and sad that there would never be anyone else quite like him again. He did things that revolutionized pop music, and for that, I thank him.

Rest in peace, Michael Joseph Jackson. Long live the King of Pop.
  • kangaroo62kangaroo62 Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    I was playing Rock Band, and my sister called me downstairs and told me. I didn't care. I don't like Michael Jackson.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited June 2010
    I remember being right where I was now. Suprised, but not at a large level. It was great that MTV started playing his videos for days straight in his honor.

Hostley, the only people I could think of that would trigger a mass momoriam like that would be Paul McCartney and The President. And those are stretches.
  • CommonCriminalCommonCriminal The Stork Whisperer
    edited June 2010
    Rockbandfan23467;3809963 said:

Hostley, the only people I could think of that would trigger a mass momoriam like that would be Paul McCartney and The President. And those are stretches.
    and Jim Carrey. :)