So Why Does Everyone Hate Cradle of Filth?

40FootWolf40FootWolf Opening Act
edited June 2010 in History of Rock
They seem to be one of those bands that makes metalheads apoplectic at the very mention of their name. I've heard very little of them but they just seem "meh" to me-nothing special but certainly nothing that would cause a rage seizure.

Does the venom stem from a specific place? Or are they just one of the metal community's sacrificial lambs?

Comments

• afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited June 2010
    the reason many people are so vocal about hating the band is due to their popularity as a black metal despite not fitting into the genre, thus giving people an incorrect perception and making people think black metal is about vampires having sex with nuns or something.
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited June 2010
    I hate them because franticfish is their lead singer and hes just so goddamn sexy it hurts me.
  • AneurysmBowAneurysmBow Rising Star
    edited June 2010
    Lol because they are a Cradle of Filth?
  • 40FootWolf40FootWolf Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    afterstasis;3805085 said:
    the reason many people are so vocal about hating the band is due to their popularity as a black metal despite not fitting into the genre, thus giving people an incorrect perception and making people think black metal is about vampires having sex with nuns or something.
    Ah, so would it be accurate to say that they are to black metal what Cannibal Corpse is to death metal?
    edited June 2010
    40FootWolf;3805734 said:
    Ah, so would it be accurate to say that they are to black metal what Cannibal Corpse is to death metal?
    Not at all because Cannibal Corpse is actually death metal. Cradle of Filth is not black metal. At all. Cradle of Filth is to black metal as Five Finger Death Punch is to death metal.
    edited June 2010
    Onslaught_fei;3805766 said:
    Not at all because Cannibal Corpse is actually death metal. Cradle of Filth is not black metal. At all. Cradle of Filth is to black metal as Five Finger Death Punch is to death metal.
    So what is Cradle of Filth? This seems to be a bone of contention. Wikipedia lists them as "extreme metal" but it HAS to be something a little more specified than that.
    edited June 2010
    40FootWolf;3805775 said:
    So what is Cradle of Filth? This seems to be a bone of contention. Wikipedia lists them as "extreme metal" but it HAS to be something a little more specified than that.
    They're kind've their own thing. I'd call them extreme alternative metal as a whole but I'm sure they have moments that can be typecast. I am actually not very familiar with them at all and only have heard small snippets of their discography. It's possible their sound is very varied.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbXdKr1AAxY Whatever this is versus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2qzbiucIoc some black metal
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited June 2010
    i'd say cradle of filth are simply gothic/symphonic metal with a little extra speed and dani filth doing his thing.

i actually don't mind some of their stuff from about 10 years ago (though i wouldn't willingly put one of those albums on myself), but the last time i gave them a chance they had really gone downhill.
  • Oscar-RioOscar-Rio 0/10
    edited June 2010
    afterstasis;3805085 said:
    well, i can't really say much more than that, but I will add that i lump CoF into the same grouping as Behemoth, their newer stuff, in terms of falsely representing Black Metal to mainstream metal fans.
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited June 2010
    I'm just not a fan of Danni Filth's "I sound like a castrated runt pig" squeals that are his vocals. Musicaly, they are competent musicians and there are plenty worse bands that try to masquerade themselves as metal that deserve my hate, not to mention bands that are truly awful and/or overrated bands that don't deserve the hype.

In essence, Danni Filth's putrid attempt of vocals is what I don't like about his band.
    edited June 2010
    darkwinterbeast8;3813204 said:
    I'm just not a fan of Danni Filth's "I sound like a castrated runt pig" squeals that are his vocals. Musicaly, they are competent musicians and there are plenty worse bands that try to masquerade themselves as metal that deserve my hate, not to mention bands that are truly awful and/or overrated bands that don't deserve the hype.

In essence, Danni Filth's putrid attempt of vocals is what I don't like about his band.
    Yeah, I listened to a little more of them and came to the conclusion that Cradle of Filth is pretty foul.
  • macamaticmacamatic Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    Oscar-Rio;3806083 said:
    well, i can't really say much more than that, but I will add that i lump CoF into the same grouping as Behemoth, their newer stuff, in terms of falsely representing Black Metal to mainstream metal fans.
    Isn't Behemoth blackened death? That's basically death metal with a little bit of black metal influence.

As far as grouping, I almost always see CoF paired with Dimmu Borgir as the bands crucified for misrepresenting black metal.
  • Meatwad555Meatwad555 Merch-Table
    edited June 2010
    I like Cradle Of Filth. They were one of the first bands I got into.

I would consider their early stuff to be black metal.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xBQJ3_2c2k
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited June 2010
    macamatic;3816392 said:
    As far as grouping, I almost always see CoF paired with Dimmu Borgir as the bands crucified for misrepresenting black metal.
    Yeah, although I tend to find Dimmu Borgir more enjoyable. Not that CoF is really that bad, but they're not as good as a lot of mainstream metalheads and goths would have you think they are.