Guitar Hero Van Halen: Opinions from those who've played it

Comments

• bood-boybood-boy Headliner
    edited June 2010
  • XxxadxxXXxxadxxX Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    Pro: Its ****ing Van Halen

Con: It was a rushed game, the other bands don't make sense to go on the game.
    Its a horriable singing game. The game engine is the old one, not GH5. Other
    than that it's just average.
  • BallisticJunkfoodBallisticJunkfood Headliner
    edited June 2010
    You'll probably get flamed for not putting this in the main GH discussion thread, but I personally don't care.

Anyway, back on topic, I haven't gotten a chance to play the game myself, but from what I've seen, it seems to be nothing more than a rather lackluster track pack.
  • kiggidykevkiggidykev Thinks about pandas
    edited June 2010
    I rented it and didn't even finish it.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited June 2010
    It's barely worth a rent IMO.

You play through all the songs once and it's fun, then you just throw it on the shelf next to all the other GH's and let it collect dust.
  • topperharleytopperharley Son of Statler and Waldorf
    edited June 2010
    AD summed it up pretty much perfectly. Plus, no Sammy and no Michael. If you're going to do a band game, don't go half-***. If you can't get Sammy and Michael in the game, don't make the game. Excluding Sammy is bad enough, but to replace Michael with Lardgang is even more insulting. That would be like, if HMX hadn't been able to use John's likeness in TB:RB, they used Julian instead.
  • XxxadxxXXxxadxxX Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    Once again you "Topped" yourself. "Lardgang" is now his official name.
  • toymachineSHtoymachineSH Headliner
    edited June 2010
    chart wise aside from Painkiller (undercharted hilariously) it's pretty damn fun
    but the game itself is rushed and looks dated when put next to GH5/BH
  • I_Love_YouI_Love_You Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    I've played it, kind of fun but definitely rushed... Probably a game to rent but not buy.
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited June 2010
    absolutely terrible. 3/10
  • CPT BJCPT BJ Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    I bought it pre-owned last week and finished the guitar career almost entirly on expert in 2 evenings and i must say i did really enjoy it and especially a lot of the guest acts even though they arent particiularly relevant to van halen and the fact that i had quite a few of them already in RB and i also finished the expert bass career in a day and i enjoyed it the second time.

It isnt as bad as people are saying it is but if u see it cheap its definately worth picking up.
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    Pbateman;3815014 said:
    Yeah leaving Michael Anthony out doesn't sit well with me, he should at least be an unlockable character, but I guess Eddie hates him now because he went on tour with Hagar instead of waiting around for VH to do something while they were dormant. Hence getting kicked out and not being in the game, to be replaced by Eddie's teenage son no less.
    It was a douchey move leaving mikey out but it wasn't shocking at all. Ed has a had a stick up his arse over Mike for decades. It had nothing to do with him playing with Hagar. Ed had been wanting to replace Mike as the bass player going back to at least the Fair Warning album. Neither Ed or Al ever really got along with him or respected him as a musician and always felt he was the weak link in the band. Roth was indifferent towards Mike from the get go neither liking or disliking him. Sam was the the only one that really bonded with him.

Somewhere around 1983 Ed offered the bass spot in Van Halen to Billy Sheehan but Sheehan turned it down as he thought Mike was a solid player and fit the band perfectly. If Gene Simmons is to believed it was shortly after this that Ed considered quitting Van Halen and donning some face paint to join KISS.

Anyway as to the game itself if youre a fan of the classic era of VH, the only era that matters IMO :p, it's a fun game. Not re-inventing the wheel or anything but it's fun.
  • nicko68nicko68 Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    I don't care about all the politics behind the avatars, as far as playing good songs goes, GHVH is great. Good song selection, even though as pointed out elsewhere, some of the guest artist songs don't make sense. I'd definitely buy it, especially if you can get it cheap. I don't regret having paid full price when it first came out though.
  • topperharleytopperharley Son of Statler and Waldorf
    edited June 2010
    AxlVanHagar;3815799 said:
    Neither Ed or Al ever really got along with him or respected him as a musician and always felt he was the weak link in the band.
    He may not have been an exceptional bass player, but Sheehan was right - he was solid and he fit what the band needed from the bass player. Plus, his harmonies were quite good, and helped shape the vocal sound of the band.

As much as I respect him as a musician, and as much as I idolized him in high school, I've since come to think of Eddie as a colossal douche as a human being.
  • QuaszarQuaszar Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    nicko68;3815871 said:
    I don't care about all the politics behind the avatars, as far as playing good songs goes, GHVH is great. Good song selection, even though as pointed out elsewhere, some of the guest artist songs don't make sense. I'd definitely buy it, especially if you can get it cheap. I don't regret having paid full price when it first came out though.
    Agree with this post. If you like Van Halen then get it. There are approx 20 songs that I play on a regular basis. Would be 21 songs but I can't pass Eruption....
  • candysellcandysell Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    sucked balls. played it 3 times and quit. i struggled trying to think if i should play it or not for the other 2 times.
  • Wiiman95Wiiman95 Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    Played it once and thought it was cool.
    Played it again and thought, "What was I thinking when I bought this?"
  • edited June 2010
    Pbateman;3816547 said:
    Ok good this is what I wanted to know, in all the reviews I read the writers didn't seem that familiar with Van Halen.

Most everyone that's posted here seems to be guitar players, any drummers care to comment? How are the drum charts?
    They are decent, have fun with "Hot for Teacher"!
    edited June 2010
    if you have X+ be prepared for pain
  • FlameSama1FlameSama1 Road Warrior
    edited June 2010
    topperharley;3815002 said:
    AD summed it up pretty much perfectly. Plus, no Sammy and no Michael. If you're going to do a band game, don't go half-***. If you can't get Sammy and Michael in the game, don't make the game. Excluding Sammy is bad enough, but to replace Michael with Lardgang is even more insulting. That would be like, if HMX hadn't been able to use John's likeness in TB:RB, they used Julian instead.
    Hey, as a fat bass player I resent that!

But in all seriousness, only worth buying if you 100% love Van Halen, but if that was the case you wouldn't have asked. I got it free with GH5 and haven't touched it since five-starring the bass career. *shrugs.

If you find it cheap (and I mean less then twenty USD), get it. Other wise rent it then decide.
  • ylowbstardylowbstard Rising Star
    edited June 2010
    Well, all the songs are charted nicely (great setlist overall), and the great VAN HALEN rockers are insanely fun to jam too. But due to the dated GHWT engine (which for some reason isn't up to the GH:M standard), the game feels rushed, outdated, and for some reason just NOT RIGHT.

Get it for cheap, and you'll have a bunch of fun (assuming you like Van Halen). If this game had been the first Band specific game after GHWT, it would have been well recieved and more tolerable. But now that we have already been exposed to GH5/BH, Van Halen and it's poor technology just don't cut it.

6.5/10
    edited June 2010
    just to clarify

GHM : Smash Hits : GH VH

all the same engine
    edited June 2010
    topperharley;3816069 said:
    He may not have been an exceptional bass player, but Sheehan was right - he was solid and he fit what the band needed from the bass player. Plus, his harmonies were quite good, and helped shape the vocal sound of the band.

As much as I respect him as a musician, and as much as I idolized him in high school, I've since come to think of Eddie as a colossal douche as a human being.

Agreed 110% topper. Mike's harmonies are IMO one of the key elements of the VH sound and he is solid as hell on the bass, Sheehan absolutely on the money with his statement.

And I'm with you on the Ed opinion, it became crystal clear to me during the '96 debacle that all the problems in the band lay far more at Ed's feet than they did Dave or Sam's.
  • edited June 2010
    bood-boy;3814937 said:
    hagar > roth
    Come on Axl let's get em
    edited June 2010
    ROCKBANDFANATIC7526;3819078 said:
    Come on Axl let's get em
    :D
  • cjmoore8991cjmoore8991 Banned
    edited July 2010
    i got it purely for Eruption and Spanish Fly...
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited July 2010
    To me,this game is the complete opposite of GHM.It reeks of Half-assedness.GHM appears to have been made by people who truly care about the band....can't say that for this game.
  • paulstyles78paulstyles78 Opening Act
    edited July 2010
    Its ok if you are a big fan if not don't waste your time it sucks
  • CPT BJCPT BJ Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    Pbateman;3839407 said:
    I had way more luck finding this than GH:Metallica, but it was full price everywhere I saw it, one place had it on "sale" for $54.99, another was $69.99 (!). No way in hell I'm paying that much, so looks like I'll be waiting, $20 sounds about right.

Also saw a bunch of used copies for sale online that were pretty much full price, probably from people who got it free with GH 5 trying to make a profit.
    I paid £35.00 for this (althought got a 10% discount :D) and got it second hand cos i never saw it get released for the 360 just the wii :)