Sony Vendor Set Up

TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
edited July 2010 in The Rock Band Network
If I remember correctly, an interview about the RBN stated that for the submissions on the RBN to work, each submitter would have to be set up as their own vendor. At the time, that was stressed as a major hassle, but the more I think about it, a long, drawn out process is much better than having the system without RBN support. And looking at the actual submission to become a vendor http://www.vendorportal.sel.sony.com/ , it doesn't look as complicated as it was said to be. As far as audition mode is concerned, the PS3 already supports computer-generated-user-created files, such as custom themes, or mods for Unreal tournament III.

I'd say there would be plenty of PS3 users, myself included, willing to go through the process of setting up a vendor account if it meant that they could author for RBN

Comments

• TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    Anyone feel the same on the situation?
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    It's not comparable at all to Unreal Tournament maps or Little Big Planet maps (the most common comparison) because none of those things are copyrighted content that needs to have royalties paid out on them.
    edited July 2010
    NoThru22;3828644 said:
    It's not comparable at all to Unreal Tournament maps or Little Big Planet maps (the most common comparison) because none of those things are copyrighted content that needs to have royalties paid out on them.
    Understandably, but I used Unreal Tournament and custom themes, because those two are files generated on the computer that you load to the PS3, showing that audition mode would be possible. What I'm saying is, as a vendor, you would be able to distribute the songs just like Harmonix or anyone else
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    Does UT3 support adding textures to the PS3 version of the game? If it does, then the comparison would be slightly accurate (but still only part of it.)
  • drag_racerdrag_racer Rising Star
    edited July 2010
    NoThru22;3828644 said:
    But doesn't the higher end LBP maps have prices on them?
  • SmashManSmashMan Rising Star
    edited July 2010
    drag_racer;3829659 said:
    But doesn't the higher end LBP maps have prices on them?
    The only levels that cost money are ones created by Media Molecule, the developer. User-created stuff is all free.
    edited July 2010
    NoThru22;3829545 said:
    Does UT3 support adding textures to the PS3 version of the game? If it does, then the comparison would be slightly accurate (but still only part of it.)
    I believe so.

Edit: Yes, absolutely, along with character skins.
    edited July 2010
    SmashMan;3829694 said:
    The only levels that cost money are ones created by Media Molecule, the developer. User-created stuff is all free.
    And LBP isn't the best example, as the files are created on the PS3. Custom themes and Unreal mods however, are. I brought up LBP merely because the game can load in your(or any other levels) that you have saved on a USB
    edited July 2010
    Okay, I just checked about the extent of the Unreal modding tools for the PS3, and its pretty much everything. Character skins such as Samus Aran and Master Chief were both able to be recreated in HD. As well as that, players were able to design levels, including their own sounds through the modding tools on the computer, in addition to being able to modify the game logic.
    edited July 2010
    Okay, the point is, would anyone else be willing to go through all that work to become a vendor if it meant authoring on PS3?
  • MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited July 2010
    TubaDude49;3844179 said:
    Okay, the point is, would anyone else be willing to go through all that work to become a vendor if it meant authoring on PS3?
    Well, I kind of suspect that the site you're talking about is intended to be for vendors of home electronics devices, not PS3 software. :)

Besides, you'd still need HMX's license to create content for RBN. License from Sony isn't the only thing you need to author on PS3.

I can only imagine if this idea was a viable option, it would already be in the works. Mind, it might *already* be, for all we know. HMX is filled with very smart people, and the RBN crew are extremely passionate and do everything they can to push the platform.

- m
    edited July 2010
    Markleford;3844209 said:
    Well, I kind of suspect that the site you're talking about is intended to be for vendors of home electronics devices, not PS3 software. :)
    If you look through the categories in the drop-down list, there are options for vendors of downloadable music, as well as video game software and downloadable content.
    Markleford;3844209 said:

Besides, you'd still need HMX's license to create content for RBN. License from Sony isn't the only thing you need to author on PS3.

I can only imagine if this idea was a viable option, it would already be in the works. Mind, it might *already* be, for all we know. HMX is filled with very smart people, and the RBN crew are extremely passionate and do everything they can to push the platform.
    - m
    Understandably, but the reason I brought it up was because they stated that setting up the RBN on PS3 would require everyone to be a seperate vendor. If I can trust any game developer to push innovation, its Harmonix. Back before they made Rock Band, they made one of the few EyeToy games that didn't feel gimmicky whatsoever, Eyetoy Antigrav, and they're bringing real instruments into music games. Like you said, Harmonix is just plain awesome
    edited July 2010
    TubaDude49;3844849 said:
    If you look through the categories in the drop-down list, there are options for vendors of downloadable music, as well as video game software and downloadable content.
    I still think it's just that: if you want to be an authorized seller of their stuff, including games or music, then that's where you'd sign up. (But maybe that's just where my brain is: I used to work for a home automation company where authorized vendors were an industry thing...)

Namely, I don't believe that "vendor" and "developer" are equivalent in this context. I could be wrong though!

Still, I think you should pursue the HMX side of things first: pointless to sign up with Sony if a HMX license for third-party DLC isn't available for PS3.

- m
    edited July 2010
    Markleford;3845209 said:
    I still think it's just that: if you want to be an authorized seller of their stuff, including games or music, then that's where you'd sign up. (But maybe that's just where my brain is: I used to work for a home automation company where authorized vendors were an industry thing...)

Namely, I don't believe that "vendor" and "developer" are equivalent in this context. I could be wrong though!

Still, I think you should pursue the HMX side of things first: pointless to sign up with Sony if a HMX license for third-party DLC isn't available for PS3.

- m
    Of course, without Harmonix approval, and the porting of audition mode, signing up would be completely pointless. But if Harmonix decided it was worth it to set up the submissions that way, I'd be willing to set it up in an instant.

When can we expect the RBN on the PS3?

Good question. Harmonix REALLY wants to get the RBN on the PS3, despite what many people are saying. What it boils down to is the level of ease at which independent creators can submit tracks for the RBN between the Xbox 360 and PS3. For instance, on the PS3, each person who would submit a RBN track for the PS3 would have to be set up as a separate vendor! I’m not even talking about authors, I’m talking about submitters. And the process to set up vendors is much more difficult and cumbersome than getting someone set up on Xbox 360’s XNA Creator’s Club.
    This last quote is hopeful though

The PS3 may see a more robust RBN coming out with inclusion in Rock Band 3, however (more on that later).
    edited July 2010
    Well, I'd certainly love to see my stuff on another platform. Here's hoping HMX can make it happen.

- m