Non XNA/RBN territories

iamdownhereiamdownhere Unsigned
edited July 2010 in The Rock Band Network
I haven't found a thread with this question but there probably is. There are a few places in the world which, as everyone on here knows, can't get access to RBN because of not having XNA available. Not HMX fault, just bad luck for us but is there a possibility that the songs which get cleared for PS3 also be cleared for the 360 users who can not get access to RBN?

It just seems to me that once the downloads for the PS3 started happening, 360 users outside of XNA regions have been forgotten.

Comments

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    So you want HMX to double release songs? If they do this, they do it globally. And that would mean that people who already have access to RBN would also be presented the opportunity to buy these songs again.

Frankly, it's not going to happen. It's already a hassle for HMX to get the RBN tracks on the PS3. To add more effort to the licensing just to get them on the 360...again...is just too much to consider.

Look into methods of creating a profile in a compatible region for access to RBN.
  • iamdownhereiamdownhere Unsigned
    edited July 2010
    No it would not need to be released globally as xbox live is divided into territories. The Australasian area is different from the US and the UK so therefore it would not be a global release and would not create duplications.

And no clear thinking business would consider it a hassle to try and sell products to a wider audience if it can turn a profit. If it is not viable from a business sense then yeah sure i would understand.

I am not going to go and create an account in a RBN territory because the more business that goes overseas, then the less microsoft invest in our area for the live network which is already a shell compared to other live territories.
    edited July 2010
    iamdownhere;3831815 said:
    No it would not need to be released globally as xbox live is divided into territories. The Australasian area is different from the US and the UK so therefore it would not be a global release and would not create duplications.
    Good for OZ. Now, what about the rest of the world that doesn't have access to XNA purchasing? Does MS create individual 'marketplaces'? At that point, why not just take everything off of XNA and make it all 'legitimate'? And if they were to do that, why bother with XNA in the first place?
    And no clear thinking business would consider it a hassle to try and sell products to a wider audience if it can turn a profit. If it is not viable from a business sense then yeah sure i would understand.
    Which. Is. The. Point.

This is why it isn't being done. Because right now, it isn't profitable to sell these XNA produced items through the normal channels. Did you know it costs about $5000 to $10000(US) for every submission? And that each submission then runs through a certification process and if the game or content fails, it must be resubmitted at the same initial cost?

Suddenly, the profits go away. And right quick! Without XNA, anybody submitting anything would have to incur even larger costs to develop. Many XBLIG barely make any money, sometimes only a few hundred dollars. XNA removes a bottleneck by automating the approval process and payment in exchange for a larger cut of the sales. (About 33% goes to MS.)

And that's just for MS. SONY has their own submission rules and fees... It's bigger than you want to think about. For MS to create a special storefront for OZ would then require what is essentially the process for submitting the tracks to SONY (though probably not limited to just five per week).

And at that point, with the cost of submission (since it must now go through standard submission testing) and, in the case of Rock Band, licensing hassles for dealing with a whole new source or revenue (since XNA already handles payment automatically), they might as well just do it for all regions instead of just one.

Hence: globally.
    I am not going to go and create an account in a RBN territory because the more business that goes overseas, then the less microsoft invest in our area for the live network which is already a shell compared to other live territories.
    Okay, then. Talk to your local politicians and lawmakers. Get them to create an environment that might make it easier for MS to set up XNAshop. You have options, though none of them are going to be either good or easy for you.

This situation is much larger than any solution that might start with the words 'All they have to do is...'
    edited July 2010
    Neither clever, nor helpful.

If you have a better reason why XNA content cannot be purchased in OZ, or a better explanation as to why they can't just open another marketplace, then provide it. Or any kind of reason why they should go ahead and do what the OP suggests that's more than 'because I want it', then provide that too.
    edited July 2010
    Thank you Santa. You have provided compelling arguments (not being sarcastic i actually do appreciatte a well thought out response).
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited July 2010
    Santa Claustrophobia;3831962 said:
    Neither clever, nor helpful.

If you have a better reason why XNA content cannot be purchased in OZ, or a better explanation as to why they can't just open another marketplace, then provide it. Or any kind of reason why they should go ahead and do what the OP suggests that's more than 'because I want it', then provide that too.
    You're right your answers have not been either clever or helpful.

The o.p. asked one simple question: "is there a possibility that the songs which get cleared for PS3 also be cleared for the 360 users who can not get access to RBN?" Not "please berate me in a 200 word tirade with excessive capitalization and periods."

He also didn't ask anyone to open a new market. He seems to have a marketplace down there anyway.

I don't care about the Australia Xbox market, because I'm neither Australian nor an Xbox owner. So I don't feel the need to storm in to a thread with unsubstantiated cost claims and business reasons, and hassle people about frustrations I may have but have nothing to do with the questions being asked in the thread.
    edited July 2010
    bigmf;3831992 said:
    You're right your answers have not been either clever or helpful.

The o.p. asked one simple question: "is there a possibility that the songs which get cleared for PS3 also be cleared for the 360 users who can not get access to RBN?" Not "please berate me in a 200 word tirade with excessive capitalization and periods."

He also didn't ask anyone to open a new market. He seems to have a marketplace down there anyway.

I don't care about the Australia Xbox market, because I'm neither Australian nor an Xbox owner. So I don't feel the need to storm in to a thread with unsubstantiated cost claims and business reasons, and hassle people about frustrations I may have but have nothing to do with the questions being asked in the thread.
    So you brush everything off with 'you can't prove it so your argument is invalid'.

You know where I got my information? By working in the games business. I don't know the total costs, because I didn't sign the checks, but there was always concern about failing submission because that would require paying the fee again. And I'm pretty sure, at least for the company I'm talking about, was $10000.

And no, MS doesn't have to open a new market. But I did explain why they wouldn't just do this for one region or country. It costs too damn much to make it that specific. In this case, it would be HMX shouldering the costs. And at that point, they'd insist on a global release just to open it up to a wider potential audience to recoup some of the costs.

This isn't rocket science. And I'm not making stuff up. These are all highly likely reasons why it just doesn't happen the way the OP (or anybody else) might want. It gets complicated.

Denying reasonable theories because HMX won't publicly divulge internal business decisions doesn't make the proffered ideas of forum posters any more valid.
    edited July 2010
    iamdownhere;3831981 said:
    Thank you Santa. You have provided compelling arguments (not being sarcastic i actually do appreciatte a well thought out response).
    I appologise for my initial response and admit it wasn't especially helpful. (Except for the start a foreign account bit. That's the most helpful piece of advice anybody else would give anyway.)

The fact remains that this situation is complicated by two main things: money and licensing. (Possibly just two sides of the same coin.) Any solution that doesn't involve XNA changes the dynamics of the deal.

It becomes 'regular' DLC at that point. Since RBN is, right now, tied so closely to XNA, there aren't many options that would work for everybody. And those that do work aren't always the best option. The PS3 actually gets the better deal in this case, even if they're limited to only five songs per week.
    edited July 2010
    Yeah PS3 does. I just got it confirmed that PS3 users do get the RBN limited tracks in australasia as well. It is just really frustrating to see so much great and varied music out of my grasp.

It is a principle thing about not making an overseas account and i am stuborn and stick to my principles. I just hope that RB3 will have some silver bullet solution.
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited July 2010
    Santa Claustrophobia;3832081 said:
    So you brush everything off with 'you can't prove it so your argument is invalid'.

You know where I got my information? By working in the games business. I don't know the total costs, because I didn't sign the checks, but there was always concern about failing submission because that would require paying the fee again. And I'm pretty sure, at least for the company I'm talking about, was $10000.

And no, MS doesn't have to open a new market. But I did explain why they wouldn't just do this for one region or country. It costs too damn much to make it that specific. In this case, it would be HMX shouldering the costs. And at that point, they'd insist on a global release just to open it up to a wider potential audience to recoup some of the costs.

This isn't rocket science. And I'm not making stuff up. These are all highly likely reasons why it just doesn't happen the way the OP (or anybody else) might want. It gets complicated.

Denying reasonable theories because HMX won't publicly divulge internal business decisions doesn't make the proffered ideas of forum posters any more valid.
    Fascinating.

I didn't brush off anything you said nor deny anything. Take three deep breaths and try to calm down, then you might get your point across more clearly. Not every conversation around here is immediately a fight.
  • iHomerx360aiHomerx360a Unsigned
    edited July 2010
    Here's a thought. Make a U.S account, download the demo's of the songs you want, and then play the demos with your account, then when the demo is finished, click buy now. Haven't tried it out because I'm in Canada and it's available here, but I think this could work.