Pro drums and Rock Band Network for existing DLC

NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
edited July 2010 in The Rock Band Network
When I heard that the majority of existing Rock Band songs already have the cymbal data in them, I assumed that included RBN songs as well. I also assumed that it would possibly use the animation data to denote between a tom and cymbal hit. The other day, in a thread here, I noticed an off hand comment about authors including the cymbal data in their songs for Rock Band 3 now. Does that mean that it is something different or additional and existing RBN songs don't include the cymbal data?

Comments

• MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited July 2010
    Most existing RBN songs do NOT include cymbal data. Authors were only told about how to do this about a month ago, shortly after the new "color/difficulty equity" charting rule that went into effect for RB3.

- m
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited July 2010
    Yeah you have to go in and include the data for the game to tell the difference between a cymbal gem and a drum gem. We didn't get this info until about a month ago, so the earlier songs do not have this built into it.

And it's OPTIONAL, so not all songs will have it in it, and honestly some of the songs that are in testing now have been there for months so they might not have it either.

I'd say there's probably less than a dozen songs that have been released so far that have the cymbals charted (only one that I can think of off the top of my head).

Edit - NINJAFORDED!
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    So Harmonix has known about this for a long time and kept it secret? Great.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited July 2010
    NoThru22;3841925 said:
    So Harmonix has known about this for a long time and kept it secret? Great.
    Yes, how dare Harmonix not tell us about these updates before officially releasing them. I mean, we can handle broken features and formats that change daily while being tested, right?
  • MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited July 2010
    Well, compounding this is the fact that authors currently have to add this data in a "blind" way, as we do not yet have an Audition mode that shows the cymbal symbols.

So the author has to make a choice whether to add it or not at this point, and must be fairly certain of their work if they go ahead with it, as Playtesters will be unable to double-check this charting for them.

- m