MetClub User Who Can Contact Metallica About RBN?

TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
edited July 2010 in The Rock Band Network
To preface, yes, I understand that I should contact the band myself, and I have tried, but this is an exception. The closest thing the public can get to Metallica contact is their customer service, who when I sent emails about the RBN told me to buy Guitar Hero Metallica, and then simply "Sorry, I can't help you with that" On the third time he told me to get into contact by writing a letter to the band's magazine, which the band reads and answers.

James, Kirk, Lars and Rob read letters and answer the Metallica Club member's questions in the "So What!" magazine.
If you are already a member of The Metallica Club you can go to http://www.metclub.com/members/sowhat/submit.asp and fill out the appropriate form for your question or letter or picture that you want to send to Metallica. If it is printed, Metallica will see it.
The problem however, is to do this requires you to be a member of their fan club, and I do not want to pay $45 just to join, especially when they may or may not accept.
So, do you know a member of their fanclub, or are one yourself, that could help get my message in the magazine?
I have a feeling it will be hard for them to resist when they have the best-selling pack of the franchise.
So is there a member who could forward this?

Dear Metallica,
Would you consider putting some of your songs on the Rock Band Network? You are one of the most requested bands for the franchise, and the only three songs you ever released for Rock Band still stand as the best-selling pack. With the Rock Band Network, the songs don't have to wait in Harmonix's long queue, as there are many authors willing to help you put songs out quickly. I know you released a Guitar Hero game, but would you at least consider Rock Band? New copies of Guitar Hero Metallica rarely sell anymore, and you have a strong fanbase built up thats moved towards Rock Band. Plus, if you decide to go through with it, fans will be able to learn how to play your songs on a real guitar with the release of Rock Band 3. Could you please think about it for all the fans like me that want to rock out to your music?

Comments

• KariodudeKariodude Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    They aren't against rhythm games now. They've been against RBN ever since it started though.
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited July 2010
    I never saw a company so butt-hurt in my life.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    Kariodude;3854869 said:
    They aren't against rhythm games now. They've been against RBN ever since it started though.
    Remind me why again?
    edited July 2010
    I don't know if they ever gave an official reason, but I'm sure it's something to do with RBN songs being authored by small independent companies. Why would you want your music done by a small group of amateurs when there is a big company that has been doing it for years? They probably see RBN as beneath them.
    edited July 2010
    Kariodude;3854889 said:
    I don't know if they ever gave an official reason, but I'm sure it's something to do with RBN songs being authored by small independent companies. Why would you want your music done by a small group of amateurs when there is a big company that has been doing it for years? They probably see RBN as beneath them.
    Sounds like they need to form their own authoring division then
    edited July 2010
    Even then they would probably be against it. Why do songs themselves that can only be downloaded on the 360 in a handful of countries when Harmonix could author the songs and they could be downloaded all over the world for all 3 consoles?
    edited July 2010
    Kariodude;3854903 said:
    Even then they would probably be against it. Why do songs themselves that can only be downloaded on the 360 in a handful of countries when Harmonix could author the songs and they could be downloaded all over the world for all 3 consoles?
    They can crank them out at a much faster speed, not waiting around in Harmonix's lengthy queue.
  • Fuelie79Fuelie79 Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    I can understand WMG being against RBN. Discs and regular DLC clearly sell more than RBN, plus they likely don't get the extra money for licensing fees. As long as they're cool with the regular media for getting songs into RB, it's fine by me. That period where we saw little to no WMG artists sucked.
  • KEWBKEWB Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    Kariodude;3854889 said:
    I actually sort of agree with this to an extent though. With a group as big as Metallica the last thing I want to see is to see Creeping Death or something locked out of regular dlc because "noobcharter69" already authored a chart that barely squeaked through playtesting and now suddenly Creeping Death is another Fat Kid. Now if it's authored by Rhythm Authors or someone like that, I'm all for it.
    edited July 2010
    KEWB;3856713 said:
    I actually sort of agree with this to an extent though. With a group as big as Metallica the last thing I want to see is to see Creeping Death or something locked out of regular dlc because "noobcharter69" already authored a chart that barely squeaked through playtesting and now suddenly Creeping Death is another Fat Kid. Now if it's authored by Rhythm Authors or someone like that, I'm all for it.
    Then again, with a big name like Metallica, you're less likely to see those kinds of charts slipping through. I have a feeling playtesters would be a bit more aware for mistakes. Then again, I could be wrong
  • MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited July 2010
    TubaDude49;3856822 said:
    Then again, with a big name like Metallica, you're less likely to see those kinds of charts slipping through. I have a feeling playtesters would be a bit more aware for mistakes. Then again, I could be wrong
    Actually, I'd say big names create more likelihood of bad charts slipping through. Faceless testers will simply rubber-stamp it to get it to the store if the Expert Guitar chart is okay.

On the other hand, hopefully management for a big band will do due diligence to find a reputable authoring company, such that the chance of a bad chart in the first place is reduced!

Anyway, I'd normally say "Metallica wouldn't be interested", but tell Lars that her can charge $3 instead of $2 and I think you might have his attention.

- m
    edited July 2010
    Markleford;3856900 said:
    Actually, I'd say big names create more likelihood of bad charts slipping through. Faceless testers will simply rubber-stamp it to get it to the store if the Expert Guitar chart is okay.
    Good point, I retract my previous statement
    Markleford;3856900 said:

On the other hand, hopefully management for a big band will do due diligence to find a reputable authoring company, such that the chance of a bad chart in the first place is reduced!

Anyway, I'd normally say "Metallica wouldn't be interested", but tell Lars that her can charge $3 instead of $2 and I think you might have his attention.

- m
    Yeah, but hopefully it wouldn't turn out that high, especially when you can't make packs.
  • CrownjoCrownjo Opening Act
    edited July 2010
    I really want the songs to be in the music store rather to be on RBN. I would buy the songs as a pack or somthing.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited July 2010
    Fuelie79;3856641 said:
    That period where we saw little to no WMG artists sucked.
    You probably wouldn't have noticed if nobody said anything.
  • FlameSama1FlameSama1 Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    Markleford;3856900 said:
    *facepalm

You're right, I paid ten bucks for the Metallica 01 DLC...two hundred dollars for Guitar Hero Metallica. I even heard that Rock Band 2 was only a twenty dollar purchase until Battery was added to it. This argument gets stupider every time I hear it I swear to god lol.

I challenge you to name some examples of Metallica being greedy.
    edited July 2010
    FlameSama1;3859510 said:
    Right. As if it were even a challenge.

- m
    edited July 2010
    Markleford;3859744 said:
    Right. As if it were even a challenge.

- m
    ...I'm waiting.

And as for RBN, I don't think Metallica will pop up here.
  • BruceDickinsonBruceDickinson Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    Some of you guys live in a fantasy land...
  • edited July 2010
    I am not sure this has any chance of success if they cant even secure licensing for the main DLC channel.
  • PlutarchPlutarch Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    FlameSama1;3859510 said:
    Freaking out about Napster is the obvious one. "Oh no, now I might not get another gold-encrusted toilet!"

Another is Enter Sandman not transferring over to RB2 because the band was asking for too much money to license it again.

Hey, I love their music, and like all stereotypes, the "greedy" thing is often exaggerated. But there has to be some basis for it or else it wouldn't exist at all.

Back on topic, I highly doubt we'll be seeing them on RBN. I'll be surprised if we see them in the main RB catalog at anytime in the future.
    edited July 2010
    Plutarch;3860313 said:
    Freaking out about Napster is the obvious one. "Oh no, now I might not get another gold-encrusted toilet!
    Their main thing with Napster was over I Disappear, their song for the Mission Impossible II soundtrack. An incomplete version was being passed around Napster and made it's way onto the radio.

Now I'm a writer, not a professional writer, but I write. And I know that I get pissed when someone reads an unfinished poem or story of mine.

You notice that even though file sharing still exists, and in a HUGE way, they don't say anything about it? They've accepted it, Lars even saying “Listen, we’re ten days from release [of Death Magnetic]. I mean, from here, we’re golden. If this thing leaks all over the world today or tomorrow, happy days. Happy days. Trust me. Ten days out and it hasn’t quote-unquote fallen off the truck yet? Everybody’s happy. It’s 2008 and it’s part of how it is these days, so it’s fine. We’re happy.”

More proof? Death Magnetic was released for digital download, DRM free.
    Plutarch;3860313 said:

Another is Enter Sandman not transferring over to RB2 because the band was asking for too much money to license it again.
    Right, because when I think of musicians out for money they come to mind. You know Roger Waters is playing a tour for The Wall right now, hundreds for a ticket-yet no one complains...

But anyway there's a few flaws with this argument. One, we're never told the circumstances of things here. This being one of them, what about RttH and Paranoid? HMXHenry never said that Metallica asked for too much or anything-people that call Metallica greedy made that up. And two, licensing a song is tangled up with their label (Warner Bros) and parties of the sort and that makes it difficult. Smells Like Teen Spirit-between the release of the first Nirvana pack and Smells Like Teen Spirit, that was like what, two years? Because licensing is a hard thing to work out, especially with huge songs.

For that matter, don't all the other Metallica songs work with Rock Band 2? And for THAT matter, isn't Battery already confirmed with Rock Band 3?
    edited July 2010
    Well, the other two RB1 songs that didn't transfer were covers...I'm not sure what the deal was. RttH we got the original for eventually so that was probably good in the end. Maybe we will some day for Paranoid too.

If it wasn't the price, why didn't it transfer? The DLC songs transfer because they're licensed for the platform as a whole, not just Rock Band 1. Yet there was no problem getting all the other master tracks to move over to Rock Band 2...the problem with Enter Sandman had to have something to do with Metallica...and if it wasn't money, what was it? Time will tell about Battery with Rock Band 3, I have a feeling the licensing agreements changed with the second game and HMX probably worked out exports to future games in advance.

The Napster thing...of course Lars is gonna be okay with it now and give humorously defensive quotes like that one, he's been getting s**t for that for ten years and has seen the error of his ways. And like I said before in my post, which was conveniently not quoted in yours, I think the greed thing is exaggerated, but it's there because of the Napster controversy...they came off like spoiled rich a**holes, period. This gave them that greedy level...whether it's truly deserved is a different matter, but that's why it's there and that's why you keep hearing jokes about it.

Edit: And the Pink Floyd guys are a major pain in the ass about this kinda stuff too (and I also love their music), so I'm not playing favorites or anything. It's just this thread happens to be about Metallica.
    edited July 2010
    FlameSama1;3860465 said:
    Their main thing with Napster was over I Disappear, their song for the Mission Impossible II soundtrack.
    Sure, keep telling yourself that.

- m
    edited July 2010
    Plutarch;3860507 said:
    Well, the other two RB1 songs that didn't transfer were covers...I'm not sure what the deal was. RttH we got the original for eventually so that was probably good in the end. Maybe we will some day for Paranoid too.

If it wasn't the price, why didn't it transfer? The DLC songs transfer because they're licensed for the platform as a whole, not just Rock Band 1. Yet there was no problem getting all the other master tracks to move over to Rock Band 2...the problem with Enter Sandman had to have something to do with Metallica...and if it wasn't money, what was it? Time will tell about Battery with Rock Band 3, I have a feeling the licensing agreements changed with the second game and HMX probably worked out exports to future games in advance.

The Napster thing...of course Lars is gonna be okay with it now and give humorously defensive quotes like that one, he's been getting s**t for that for ten years and has seen the error of his ways. And like I said before in my post, which was conveniently not quoted in yours, I think the greed thing is exaggerated, but it's there because of the Napster controversy...they came off like spoiled rich a**holes, period. This gave them that greedy level...whether it's truly deserved is a different matter, but that's why it's there and that's why you keep hearing jokes about it.

Edit: And the Pink Floyd guys are a major pain in the ass about this kinda stuff too (and I also love their music), so I'm not playing favorites or anything. It's just this thread happens to be about Metallica.
    There were covers on Rock Band 1 that exported, answer my question about why exactly Rtth and Paranoid didn't move over. And with Rtth, it wasn't because of the coming Maiden 12 pack as they have doubled-up on covers in the past.

And also, if they were really that greedy, why don't they have more songs in Rock Band and DLC packs for GH, on top of GH: Metallica? Seems to me that would show their greed.

I didn't quote that part because I sincerely want some other examples besides Napster, which I already knew was what you meant. Plenty of bands are against it, plenty of bands are for it, but Lars speaks out against it and suddenly he's the *******. Guilty of speaking where others kept their mouths shut (After the fact, Dr. Dre and Madonna stepped up to the plate and sued Napster)

Exactly, I'm not saying Metallica is right either, I'm saying they could justify it. Pink Floyd I don't know about as far as greed, I'm saying Roger Waters solo is a greedy ****er-my uncle was going to go with a friend to a show and it was a few hundred a ticket, so when I hear people say "LAWL LARZ IZ GREEDE", I have to take a step back and ask...wtf?
    Markleford;3860545 said:
    Sure, keep telling yourself that.

- m
    Did you read the rest of what I said? I'm just going to ignore you. They are so filthy rich already that they don't need any money. I'll cite the fact that they don't pump out rereleases and greatest hits albums like ACTUAL greedy bands as more proof that if Metallica is greedy, there are plenty of bands that are ten times worse then THAT.
    edited July 2010
    There were covers on Rock Band 1 that exported, answer my question about why exactly Rtth and Paranoid didn't move over.
    I can't answer it. All I was saying was that Enter Sandman was the only master track that didn't transfer and I can't come up with any potential reasons other than price.

I was thinking about it, and I also wonder why Metallica is not on the Brutal Legend soundtrack. They had Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, why not complete the big thrash four? The developers had to have wanted them. Were they asking for more money than the other bands? I don't know for sure, but it's food for thought.

I remember other bands pissing and moaning about Napster too, but Metallica has become synonymous with that whole situation as time went on. The fact that Lars seems to be a fairly obnoxious person in general (he didn't come off well in that Some Kind of Monster doc, imo) is probably feeding this too. Look, you seem really defensive of Metallica and that's fine. I know I'm not going to change your outlook on this stuff. I'm just trying to explain where the reputation for greed comes from. Whether it's justified or not will vary from person to person.
    edited July 2010
    Plutarch;3860868 said:
    I can't answer it. All I was saying was that Enter Sandman was the only master track that didn't transfer and I can't come up with any potential reasons other than price.

I was thinking about it, and I also wonder why Metallica is not on the Brutal Legend soundtrack. They had Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, why not complete the big thrash four? The developers had to have wanted them. Were they asking for more money than the other bands? I don't know for sure, but it's food for thought.

I remember other bands pissing and moaning about Napster too, but Metallica has become synonymous with that whole situation as time went on. The fact that Lars seems to be a fairly obnoxious person in general (he didn't come off well in that Some Kind of Monster doc, imo) is probably feeding this too. Look, you seem really defensive of Metallica and that's fine. I know I'm not going to change your outlook on this stuff. I'm just trying to explain where the reputation for greed comes from. Whether it's justified or not will vary from person to person.
    Well I don't see why people automatically say that money was a factor if there's no answer...

Guns 'n Roses and Iron Maiden aren't either. It could be management, label issues, lawyers, or the actual band. People always assume the latter when Metallica is involved though.

Metallica got me into metal and helped me start to expand my music tastes in general, so yeah I suppose I am defensive. It's also funny that when ever you ask people really can't explain how or why they're so greedy, 'they just are' doesn't cut it lol. And I agree with Lars being a bad spokesperson for the band.

EDIT: Forgive me, I don't understand why they're singled out with all the really greedy bands out there.
    edited July 2010
    I read an article that said "Run to the Hills" was lined up for the Brutal Legend soundtrack until the game was acquired by a different company and the deal went sour. As for Guns N Roses....well, Axl is on a level of greed and douche-baggery that Metallica could never HOPE to reach.

I like Metallica too, GH:M is the only band-spotlight music game I've gotten. But it's hard to resist poking fun at them still, mostly because the Napster thing really got on my nerves on the time. I'd suggest to just let other people's snarky greed comments go, chances are a lot of those same people would love to see more Metallica ingame. I certainly would.
    edited July 2010
    FlameSama1;3860829 said:
    Did you read the rest of what I said?
    You mean your revisionist history of the Napster PR onslaught? Despite the fact that anyone can find myriad quotes and video footage to the contrary?

Honestly, I don't have the time to dig up YouTube links for you. I'm not saying that you shouldn't like the band, but you shouldn't try to sugar-coat what actually happened in hindsight and assume that everyone who actually lived through that period will believe you.
    I'm just going to ignore you.
    Often a good plan when confronted by the fact that media history is a matter of permanent record on the Internet.

I'm not really into this whole "greed" angle, which you brought up in the first place. I'm not here to render ethical judgment or "win" an argument. I merely indicated that if Metallica appears on RBN it will be for $3, otherwise it won't attract their interest. Say what you will about the band, it's undeniable that they're savvy businessmen.

- m
    edited July 2010
    Plutarch;3860868 said:
    I know they weren't exclusive, but does it make much buisness sense to re-liscence out one of your tracks to the competitor of your upcoming game. From a buisness standpoint, they might feel that to hurt sales slightly, as the track would no longer be exclusive to their own game.
    Not my opinion on the matter, but possible
    edited July 2010
    Plutarch;3860974 said:
    I read an article that said "Run to the Hills" was lined up for the Brutal Legend soundtrack until the game was acquired by a different company and the deal went sour. As for Guns N Roses....well, Axl is on a level of greed and douche-baggery that Metallica could never HOPE to reach.

I like Metallica too, GH:M is the only band-spotlight music game I've gotten. But it's hard to resist poking fun at them still, mostly because the Napster thing really got on my nerves on the time. I'd suggest to just let other people's snarky greed comments go, chances are a lot of those same people would love to see more Metallica ingame. I certainly would.
    Didn't know that about RttH, I knew Dio was supposed to voice over, but not that.

And I like to make fun of Lars too lol. Still plenty of other greedy bands.
    Markleford;3861036 said:
    You mean your revisionist history of the Napster PR onslaught? Despite the fact that anyone can find myriad quotes and video footage to the contrary?

Honestly, I don't have the time to dig up YouTube links for you. I'm not saying that you shouldn't like the band, but you shouldn't try to sugar-coat what actually happened in hindsight and assume that everyone who actually lived through that period will believe you.

Often a good plan when confronted by the fact that media history is a matter of permanent record on the Internet.

I'm not really into this whole "greed" angle, which you brought up in the first place. I'm not here to render ethical judgment or "win" an argument. I merely indicated that if Metallica appears on RBN it will be for $3, otherwise it won't attract their interest. Say what you will about the band, it's undeniable that they're savvy businessmen.

- m
    Well by talking about their business plans, you called them greedy, to which I say...Ride The Lightning, Blackened, And Justice For All...all two dollars. Also see my comments on how there are bands so greedy that Metallica could only dream to reach them.
This discussion has been closed.