Most incredibly guitar solo of all time.

edited July 2007 in History of Rock
Not to big on Van Halen, never been a huge fan of there music, but Eruption is the most incredible guitar solo ever played by a human with merely 10 fingers.
Black star is a close second.
I'm not asking you to post your opinion on what you think the greatest guitar solo ever is, but you are allowed to post and agree with me.
(I kid, post away).

Comments

• benjaminbenjamin Opening Act
    edited May 2007
    I am a big fan of BOC so I am going to throw Astronomy on the table, a 8 minute opus with a gentle beginning rising into an explosive Guitar Solo by the ever awesome Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser.

Check out the song if you have not heard it, it is so damn awesome.
  • eljeffeeljeffe Unsigned
    edited May 2007
    Anything Tom Morello. I have yet to hear anyone who can make a guitar sound like a harmonica and still have the technical skills that he does.
  • Rocky_RaccoonRocky_Raccoon Unsigned
    edited May 2007
    One of my favorites of all time has to be Duane Allman's solo on Story Monday. Very beautiful, just go hear it for yourself.

Speed isn't everything, kids. Music is an expression, not an impression.
    edited May 2007
    First don't call us kids.

Second go listen to Astronomy.
  • CooksterCookster Unsigned
    edited May 2007
    I am the resurrection by Stone Roses. Then Mountain Jam w/ Duane Allman.
  • edited May 2007
    I dont really judge solos on how hard they are, but here are some ones I love:

Daune Allman- Layla
    Ritchie Blackmore- Highway Star
    Eric Clapton- Crossroads
    Brain May- Brighton Rock
  • ArdiusArdius Rising Star
    edited June 2007
    Iron Maiden - Caught Somewhere In Time......Adrian Smith's solo is just inspiring.

Of course, any Iron Maiden song's solos would do......but Adrian is my fave guitarist and thats my fave solo by him.
  • MasterFlex86MasterFlex86 Unsigned
    edited June 2007
    Tony iommi's solo in lonely is the word its like 2mins long or something but he is dancing with that fretboard it is F'N awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D
  • SweetLikeGravySweetLikeGravy Unsigned
    edited June 2007
    Benjamin, are you benamingaska for GFaqs? He always talks about astronomy.
  • Rev0lverRev0lver Road Warrior
    edited June 2007
    if you like dragonforce's guitars. you should listen to jeff loomis of nevermore. he's pretty good too.

my favorite soloist would probably be zakk wylde. some of his solos are just him jacking off the fretboard, but his softer stuff is awesome.
  • 3kage33kage3 Opening Act
    edited June 2007
    i say the guitar solo for bark at the moon that majorly fast and very hard to keep up with
  • Zero82087Zero82087 Unsigned
    edited June 2007
    Has anyone heard of or checked out Michael Angelo Batio? His stuff is crazy!
    edited June 2007
    You know, this title can be read in a different way. Maybe the spelling is not a typo, instead he is asking which solo is the most incredibly guitar. Which solo defines the guitar.

And that is a complicated question.

That would mean that the guitar is defined only by its use and has no existence seperated from its use. But not even its sole use, it is defining the guitar only by its solos ignoring all the other uses, such as ryhthm, or as the middle range of the string instruments.

Thank You TC, you have created a profoundly interesting topic.
  • leviathan667leviathan667 Unsigned
    edited June 2007
    Honestly, my favorite solo of all time is probably Timothy Leery by Nevermore. Jeff loomis just tends to be god a lot.
  • edited June 2007
  • edited June 2007
  • _Zoso__Zoso_ Unsigned
    edited June 2007
    For the Love of God- Steve Vai
  • militiagung64militiagung64 Unsigned
    edited June 2007
    Not neccesarily solos, but Jimmy Page's guitar work in the (I think) second "I Can't Quit You Baby" on disc 1 of Zep's BBC sessions is nothing short of godly. Possibly the most impressive I've heard. But dayum, I've heard a lot. It's hard to pick #1.
  • shokkerrokker14shokkerrokker14 Unsigned
    edited June 2007
    Well, Jimi Hendrix, Ozzy Osbourne, and Zakk Wylde are all awesome guitar players along with Van Halen. Their solos are awesome!!
  • edited June 2007
    man, eruption is not as hard to play as you think it is. when it debuted it sure sounded like it was insane, and it SOUNDS insane.. but it's just finger tapping, almost any intermediate player including myself can play it fine.
  • sonic064sonic064 Unsigned
    edited June 2007
    I think that best solo is from Michael Angelo Batio and Far Beyond the Sun from Yngwie Malmsteen.

Eruption is good but a like that 2 solo more.
  • Overkill89Overkill89 Unsigned
    edited June 2007
    I Agree, Eruption is a incredibly fast solo, and it's only like 2 minutes long.
    I think this song would be a great addition to "Rock Band", it'd definatley be one, if not the hardest song(s) in the game.

- Overkill89
  • leviathan667leviathan667 Unsigned
    edited June 2007
    bounchfx;6118 said:
    man, eruption is not as hard to play as you think it is. when it debuted it sure sounded like it was insane, and it SOUNDS insane.. but it's just finger tapping, almost any intermediate player including myself can play it fine.
    SPANISH FLY
    try doing that on a classical guitar... then say Van Halen is easy to imitate.
  • edited June 2007
    Almighty Aura Of The Steel Warhorse With Metal Eyes - "Steely Gaze"

The guitar solo goes for 84 minutes and had to be editted down to fit on the CD.
  • newwaytodienewwaytodie Road Warrior
    edited June 2007
    No Boundaries - Michael Angelo Batio

Anything classical by Yngwie Malmsteen

Van Halen is over-rated.
  • WachmanWachman Unsigned
    edited June 2007
    newwaytodie;7063 said:
    No Boundaries - Michael Angelo Batio

Anything classical by Yngwie Malmsteen

Van Halen is over-rated.

jeez you have no taste in music at all. batio and malmsteen are two very fine examples of artists who have spent more of their days on just studying being technically proficient rather than undergoing real musical study and exposure to further their advancement as musicians.

so instead of focusing on what really matters as a musician, those types just put most of their time and effort into playing the fastest riffs and lightning fast solos or playing two-handed AND playing the fastest licks. i am not detesting these feats as being mediocre, but to say that artists like malmsteen and batio could pass back and forth the award for greatest guitar solo of all time, well, didn't even ballpark.

i'm sorry, but you can only call yourself a real fan of music when you're enthusiasm doesn't lie in blinding fast, sweep-picked solos. in fact, it's when it lies in not just what wows the general public's eye for amazement, but also professional musicians' opinions of 'real' musical geniusness as well.
  • JudasHendrixJudasHendrix Unsigned
    edited June 2007
    Ram It Down by Judas Priest.

Lock this thread.
  • aprimeaprime Unsigned
    edited July 2007
    zakk wylde's solos own van halen's solos
  • WachmanWachman Unsigned
    edited July 2007
    it seems that the people who post in this thread have very different opinions on what we each consider to be amazing....or incredible.

many people are really caught up on how technically proficient many artists are......like van halen, zakk wylde, malmsteen, mike batio, or any other speedy-fingered fretman you can think of.

and others, (like me) seem to think we have a little more class in the appreciation of the more musically creative artists and the original classics like jimmy page, hendrix, slash, stone gossard, etc....

if you haven't noticed already, alot of these artists are from different eras/decades which could mean that everyone's opinions could be based on the timeframe of when they grew up and the artists that were heavily active at that time in music.

so this article was only bound to cause hostility just by calling it "Most incredible guitar solo of all time"
  • JudasHendrixJudasHendrix Unsigned
    edited July 2007
    I agree and don't.

Zakk Wylde has had some bitching solos - Bark at the Moon and Fire It Up, off the top of my head - but after awhile... they kinda all sound alike, don't they?