Voicing Vocal Complaints (hehehe)

DaytmanDaytman Road Warrior
edited July 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Just for the record, I can't afford to be a playtester and help with that process but I'd love to. However, I'm just an end-user, and there's something I'm seeing a lot of that I'd like to get out of.

Many groups charting vocals are trying to fit all the vocals in, which is extremely hard to sing because it's unnatural. For example, the chorus on "The Final Episode (Let's Change the Channel)" has many switches between clean and unclean vocals where it's obvious that they're separate vocal tracks. There's no room to breathe or switch vocal styles, making it hard to nail that part. The same thing happens a couple of times in "Battle Royale".

While I understand that some groups may find it important to chart all of the vocals in a song, I think it's better to think of it as "What parts would the singer sing live and what would be handled by a back-up singer?" It's more important for a song to work well and feel natural than to have all of the vocals charted. Just some food for thought.

Comments

• JR48fanJR48fan Rising Star
    edited July 2010
    Well, they were probably trying to make it more hard/ interesting, but I agree that it's really hard to do.
  • DaytmanDaytman Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    JR48fan;3874391 said:
    Well, they were probably trying to make it more hard/ interesting, but I agree that it's really hard to do.
    I understand that, but that's making it hard in an unnecessary way. That's like trying to chart two guitars at once, imagine trying to doing a solo and the power chords under it at the same time.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited July 2010
    The rule of thumb they generally go by is how one would sing along outside the game. Sometimes the choice is to cram a lot of words in there or not chart half the song. Harmonix do this a lot too, most notoriously with "Feeling This" and "ABC", and it's part of the reason the latter is one of the hardest songs in the game. I'm sure Rock Band 3 will fix a lot of this (at the very least, you'll be able to select "Harmonies" and only follow one part for most songs).
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited July 2010
    I love the way "Battle Royale" is done. For me, that's not too difficult. There are times when this does bother me though.
  • DaytmanDaytman Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    kingtonyx;3875040 said:
    I love the way "Battle Royale" is done. For me, that's not too difficult. There are times when this does bother me though.
    Most of the song is fine, just the part where it goes from "My way out" to "I won't forget".
  • ROFLmaker122ROFLmaker122 Opening Act
    edited July 2010
    Daytman;3875049 said:
    Most of the song is fine, just the part where it goes from "My way out" to "I won't forget".
    He actually does both parts live, but I understand what you mean. He can shorten the word "out" and breathe without worrying about breaking combo.

I believe the part that goes "You will forget me, unless I..." to "Breathe" has the guitarist doing "Breathe" live, though.