Support the Removal of the PS3 RBN cap on PS Blog.share

TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
edited September 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Okay, as we all know, the cap that prevents Harmonix from releasing more than 5 RBN tracks per week was made by Sony. Now, Sony has a section on their blog allowing people to submit and vote on ideas for Sony to work on. I was recently reminded that I had submitted a vote to remove the cap, found here. With enough positive response, it's likely Sony will either raise or eliminate the cap.

So, please help vote so that we might have a stronger RBN on the PS3

Comments

• powertpowert Opening Act
    edited July 2010
    i already voted for this about a month or so ago but i'll show my support here as well. 5 songs a week is ridiculous, sony needs to got their s*** together and get rid of the limit. and why have 28 people voted no? that boggles my mind.
  • war_lordwar_lord Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    I imagine a lot of the folks who vote no are people who don't play RockBand and feels it somehow "dominates" the store updates, even though everything is grouped under 3 icons in the updates. Plus, there tends to be a lot of trolls who just downvote everything that isn't cross-game chat or PS2 B/C. Hopefully enough of us who haven't already voted on it can offset their negative efforts.

You're welcome for the reminder, btw :)
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    war_lord;3892886 said:
    I imagine a lot of the folks who vote no are people who don't play RockBand and feels it somehow "dominates" the store updates, even though everything is grouped under 3 icons in the updates. Plus, there tends to be a lot of trolls who just downvote everything that isn't cross-game chat or PS2 B/C. Hopefully enough of us who haven't already voted on it can offset their negative efforts.

You're welcome for the reminder, btw :)
    Thanks
  • TransbrakTransbrak Headliner
    edited July 2010
    I don't play Rock Band on my PS3 but I'm all for it.
  • I_Love_YouI_Love_You Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    I'm choosing not to support this, strictly because I love it when PS3 users (or anyone in general) are miserable.

Nah I'm kidding, I definitely support. The cap should be minimum 10, preferably no cap at all.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited July 2010
    There's no practical way that every single song can get through on top of normal DLC and other games. Everything has to be certified by Sony, and the only reason the Xbox can handle over 100 songs at launch and 15-20 or more songs every week thereafter is because the community handles that stuff (an extension of the XNA Creators Club infrastructure that's existed for years), and Sony doesn't have anything like that set up. You're lucky you have anything at all; that stuff had to be patched into the game, leaving the Wii out of the Rock Band Network completely.

tl;dr: same crap we've been saying from day one

(raising it won't be enough because people will still complain that 10 songs isn't enough, or that 20 songs isn't enough)
  • war_lordwar_lord Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    SirDavidTLynch;3893301 said:
    There's no practical way that every single song can get through on top of normal DLC and other games. Everything has to be certified by Sony, and the only reason the Xbox can handle over 100 songs at launch and 15-20 or more songs every week thereafter is because the community handles that stuff (an extension of the XNA Creators Club infrastructure that's existed for years), and Sony doesn't have anything like that set up. You're lucky you have anything at all; that stuff had to be patched into the game, leaving the Wii out of the Rock Band Network completely.

tl;dr: same crap we've been saying from day one

(raising it won't be enough because people will still complain that 10 songs isn't enough, or that 20 songs isn't enough)
    So nice of you to gallop in on your high-horse to spout off your mindless drivel. Everybody knows that it's unreasonable to match the number of releases that Xbox gets in a particular week, but there is bound to be a better way for Sony to handle the RBN.

When the Share post was first posted, my suggestion in the comments was to set up an adaptive queue system. Sony could certify more RBN tracks when there aren't as many normal DLC tracks and certify fewer when larger official DLC packs are coming. While it's probably impossible to certify 15-20 RBN tracks in addition to a big week of normal DLC (like we had with CCR), it is not really that unreasonable for Sony to certify a total of 15-20 songs (regular DLC + RBN) in any given week.
  • wesjett08wesjett08 Rising Star
    edited July 2010
    I voted, I'm all for more RBN material on the PSN ... I want to be able to buy my own songs one of these days.
  • axelkotheaxelkothe Opening Act
    edited July 2010
    I'm really hoping something will be done in this matter, not just for the benefit of the PS3-User, but also for the artists and authoring companies and the overall success of RBN.
    edited July 2010
    SirDavidTLynch;3893301 said:
    I doubt that will happen, people are probably going to be satisfied with 10, and twenty would have no complaints with anyone
  • JRDBlackDragonJRDBlackDragon Rising Star
    edited July 2010
    i voted

im still waiting for certain tracks to come over
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited July 2010
    TubaDude49;3892257 said:
    Now, Sony has a section on their blog allowing people to submit and vote on ideas for Sony to work on. *snip* With enough positive response, it's likely Sony will either raise or eliminate the cap.
    Is that how it works? Or is it just like the "Suggest Features" thread here on the forums where people think it automatically means the feature gets implemented?
    TubaDude49;3893641 said:
    I doubt that will happen, people are probably going to be satisfied with 10, and twenty would have no complaints with anyone
    I don't think you know these forums as well as you think you do.
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited July 2010
    I voted it up. Anything that gives us a better chance of getting songs other than _____-metal and novelty genre songs is a-ok with me.

I'm hopeful something could happen, but realisticly, Sony's Q&A is approving 5 more songs a week than any other console's Q&A group, and we're asking for more effort above that.
    edited July 2010
    war_lord;3893383 said:
    Everybody knows that it's unreasonable to match the number of releases that Xbox gets in a particular week...
    Not the people asking Sony to "remove the cap" entirely.
    edited July 2010
    T-Hybrid;3893671 said:
    Is that how it works? Or is it just like the "Suggest Features" thread here on the forums where people think it automatically means the feature gets implemented?

I don't think you know these forums as well as you think you do.
    Well no, but it's a good way to show support towards a goal. Even with overwhelming response, Sony could choose to do nothing, but they'd be ignoring a massive demand.

On the second account, yes, there are those here that would complain about 20 a week, but most people would be satisfied with that, especially since the backlog wouldn't take all that long to fill up, because not every week releases twenty songs on the XBox. People would complain about the 30-day thing, but that can't be helped
  • exploderexploder Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    I voted yes

wait how do you vote?
  • Flan26Flan26 Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    Voted. Thanks for pointing out that link.
  • jasonrosenbaumjasonrosenbaum Rising Star
    edited July 2010
    wesjett08;3893433 said:
    I voted, I'm all for more RBN material on the PSN ... I want to be able to buy my own songs one of these days.
    This is exactly why I want the caps to be removed. I don't want to spend $500 on XBOX or drive across town to my cousin's house to play my own song on RBN.
  • SoratarSoratar Scapegoat
    edited July 2010
    Definitely supporting this.
  • Flan26Flan26 Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    jasonrosenbaum;3899934 said:
    This is exactly why I want the caps to be removed. I don't want to spend $500 on XBOX or drive across town to my cousin's house to play my own song on RBN.
    That's got to suck for you guys who put your own music in the RBN.
  • exploderexploder Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    we better get "hard to see" soon
    edited August 2010
    Thanks for all the support guys, up to 161 + votes
  • Dragonheart1991Dragonheart1991 Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    I knew it was Sonys fault all along, but even if i'm an XBOX 360 user, i support this, i want my friends who have RB on the PS3 to get what i'm getting from the RBN.
    edited August 2010
    You're acting like if it gets enough votes you'll automatically get all the songs the Xbox gets. If they could simply "remove the cap", why would it be there in the first place?
    edited August 2010
    SirDavidTLynch;3904723 said:
    You're acting like if it gets enough votes you'll automatically get all the songs the Xbox gets. If they could simply "remove the cap", why would it be there in the first place?
    Because Sony currently feels that the RBN is only important enough to run 5 songs through QA a week. We need to convince them that there is a big enough demand that more than that would be worth it. I see a compromise in the end if the cap isn't removed completely, say 10 songs a week.
    That portion of the site was set up to see what the consumers want them putting rescources in to. Of course they still can decide to do whatever they do, but they'd be ignoring the consumers who happen to buy products from them.
  • libregkdlibregkd Rising Star
    edited August 2010
    Dragonheart1991;3904609 said:
    I knew it was Sonys fault all along, but even if i'm an XBOX 360 user, i support this, i want my friends who have RB on the PS3 to get what i'm getting from the RBN.
    You do know that since the very beginning we knew the limitation was on Sony's part right?
  • ForToday777ForToday777 Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    Dragonheart1991;3904609 said:
    I'm a 360 owner and not a huge PS3 fan, but I support the bands and I support this.
  • Dragonheart1991Dragonheart1991 Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    libregkd;3904777 said:
    You do know that since the very beginning we knew the limitation was on Sony's part right?
    "H4rdc0re" PS3 Fanboys on Facebook and Youtube believed it was Microsoft and Harmonix plotting behind Sonys back. ;)
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited August 2010
    As part of an authoring group that is working with a lot of kick ass bands (IMO), I hope they get rid of the goofy cap as well.

It's a shame that so many great bands(now I'm referring to the entire RBN), are locked away for months and might not ever get to the other 2/3rds of the RB user base.

I'm going to do everything in my power to see that the bands UHB is working with gets ported over. Of course my power consists of a menacing glare, and disapproving head nods, but damnit I'll use both of them ;)
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    TubaDude49;3904739 said:
    Because Sony currently feels that the RBN is only important enough to run 5 songs through QA a week. We need to convince them that there is a big enough demand that more than that would be worth it. I see a compromise in the end if the cap isn't removed completely, say 10 songs a week.
    That portion of the site was set up to see what the consumers want them putting rescources in to. Of course they still can decide to do whatever they do, but they'd be ignoring the consumers who happen to buy products from them.
    This is all well and good. But what about the songs that just aren't moving? For what generally little cost is involved with posting them to RBN through XNA, I'd imagine that going through SONY QA might mean an increase in that cost.

So what happens when a song like...say...Inside Out by Nick Gallant, a song with only 54 registered scores according to Keldon, makes the console jump and doesn't sell? Who eats the costs? SONY? HMX? The chart submitter? The band?

Five a week may not seem like very much. It might even seem unfair. But it does see the songs most likely to make the cost of submission in return. By not pumping song after song through SONY, it potentially gives older, poorer performing songs a chance to catch on.

Ultimately? You want to see a particular song? Work harder to get the word out. There are nearly five hundred songs available. Not everything is going to make it, unfortunately.