AMC's Walking Dead mini-series!

Comments

• Lady SiaraLady Siara Metal Maiden
    edited November 2010
    I enjoyed it and the pacing actually wasn't too bad. Not sure if I like the 'main' character so far and was kinda rooting for him to die at the end there. :P

Also, I thought the commercials were actually really spaced out. :)

And to those of you who watched, why did he go back and kill the zombie that didn't have legs? I assumed it was his wife but later it showed that both his wife and son were alive.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited November 2010
    He went back to put the lady out of her suffering.

Would you want to be crawling around like that?

Thought the show was fantastic.

Even though I've read the book and know where the show (should be ) going I was still on the edge of my seat for parts of it (even though I knew Rick would be ok).

Very very strong writing, and it might be better than the comic it was adapted from (which doesn't happen to damned often).

Definitely in this one for the long haul, as I'm curious just how much they are going to get away with (the prison section of the story is particularly brutal, and there are some things that happen there that I can't imagine making it on air).
    edited November 2010
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4143625 said:
    He went back to put the lady out of her suffering.

Would you want to be crawling around like that?

Ah, that's about the only other thing I could think of. I mean, yeah, I understand he wanted to put her out of her suffering but it seemed like an unnecessary risk to me, especially if he didn't know this woman in her former life.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited November 2010
    That's just who Rick is. He cares too much about people (even ones he doesn't know). I understand you probably haven't read the book so they haven't gotten into that too much in the television series yet.

It's a stark contrast to the Rick of the book today that's for sure. I think they did that to show how much the bleakness of the world changes a person over time.
  • ultimatespidey81ultimatespidey81 Headliner
    edited November 2010
    Lawdog1521;4142880 said:

Also, AMC sucks. The commercials every 5 minutes (That have a much higher volume) and constant pimping of other shows is annoying.

they didn't have a commercial through the first half hour of the show :p

im also curious to how the story will develop. the comic does get very, very dark and graphic after a while and i can't see them staying with the same story line as the book.
  • camero1970camero1970 Rising Star
    edited November 2010
    This is a good show. Cant wait for next weeks episode.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited November 2010
    This show is going to be good, I can see it already.

I'm not usually a fan of TV series', but this show has got me hooked right off the bat. Can't wait til next Sunday.
  • Oscar-RioOscar-Rio 0/10
    edited November 2010
    Lawdog1521;4142880 said:
    Me too. So far it's cliched. It's not bad... it just doesn't stand out. (I still have 40 minutes to go.

Also, AMC sucks. The commercials every 5 minutes (That have a much higher volume) and constant pimping of other shows is annoying.

Edit: The ending picked up a little bit.

I noticed none of the zombie extras actually ate the horse though. :p Romero paid his zombies $50 to eat the raw meat.

It's 2010, who even watches television on cable/satellite anymore?
  • bermuddybermuddy 100.000 Wasted Years
    edited November 2010
    the show is good, but i was expecting to be amazed. maybe it was overhyped or something, i dunno. either way it's got me interested enough to keep watching, but i hope it picks up.
    edited November 2010
  • McNoobMcNoob Road Warrior
    edited November 2010
    I heard the second episode features a lot of gore, if that helps.
    edited November 2010
    McNoob;4147074 said:
    I heard the second episode features a lot of gore, if that helps.

You say that like the first episode didn't. ;)

I especially liked the part where the the dad nonchalantly strolled right beside the stumbling zombie and popped it pointblank in the head.
  • chasenmuskychasenmusky Rising Star
    edited November 2010
    New favourite show! Reminded me of a little bit of The Road Warrior, 28 Days Later and L4D. Can't wait for the next one! Wonder how many episodes they are doing??
    edited November 2010
    they will be doing only six episodes for this season. but the good thing is that the show has already been picked up for next season. im hoping for 13 episodes there.
    edited November 2010
    Nice! Good to hear. Hopefully this show really catches on and they can keep it going for a few seasons. Personally, I've been waiting for a zombie TV show and now we have a great one! Also, it really helps that Frank Darabont is behind the show, I see much potential here.
    edited November 2010
    Lady Siara;4147159 said:

I especially liked the part where the the dad nonchalantly strolled right beside the stumbling zombie and popped it pointblank in the head.
    yeah that was pretty subtle.
    chasenmusky;4147479 said:
    Also, it really helps that Frank Darabont is behind the show, I see much potential here.

doesn't hurt that robert kirkman is also involved in the project as en executive producer.
    edited November 2010
    ^ I guessed I overlooked that, didn't know he would was involved with the show, let alone as an EP! - I'm quite new to this show and comic series.

Seems to me that AMC are really letting them do this show properly. Kudos to them for not trying to interfere - so far anyway.
    edited November 2010
    yeah i think the series is bound to deviate from the comic sooner or later. im gonna sound like a broken record but, the comic gets too graphic, violent, "mature" etc etc. even for a cable show.
  • Banky71Banky71 Banned on the Run (Live)
    edited November 2010
    It's already started to be different. Shane and Lori are still together. In the comic they were no longer together at this point. That is pretty huge. Robert Kirkman made a statement that the story is gonna be different because he wants people who follow the comic to be suprised by the things that happen so pretty much no character is safe.
  • topperharleytopperharley Son of Statler and Waldorf
    edited November 2010
    I guess I'm just not a zombie movie/show/game fan. Except for Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland. I really don't think I will continue watching this. I'm glad people who are fans of the genre are happy with the show, though.
  • Happy DragonHappy Dragon Rising Star
    edited November 2010
    Found the first half hour or so, kinda choppy, but was fully entertained with the rest of it.

Looking forward to next Sunday.

Anyone know if they are going to continue being an hour and a half episodes, or will it be a more standard hour long time slot?
    edited November 2010
    ultimatespidey81;4148253 said:
    but, the comic gets too graphic, violent, "mature" etc etc. even for a cable show.

do you not watch Breaking Bad?
    Happy Dragon;4149147 said:

Anyone know if they are going to continue being an hour and a half episodes, or will it be a more standard hour long time slot?

the first episode was an hour and 5 minutes. I'm guessing the next few will clock in around the 47-55 minute mark.
    edited November 2010
    its on my list of shows to watch. just haven't gotten around to it yet. but does it contain multiple acts of rape and torture, beheadings, eye gougings, mass murder, cannibalism, severed limbs, child murders etc etc? if it does, then i guess the walking dead will be closer to the comic than i would've originally thought.
    edited November 2010
    ultimatespidey81;4149920 said:
    but does it contain multiple acts of rape and torture, beheadings, eye gougings, mass murder, cannibalism, severed limbs, child murders etc etc?

yes
  • bermuddybermuddy 100.000 Wasted Years
    edited November 2010
    ultimatespidey81;4149920 said:
    its on my list of shows to watch. just haven't gotten around to it yet. but does it contain multiple acts of rape and torture, beheadings, eye gougings, mass murder, cannibalism, severed limbs, child murders etc etc? if it does, then i guess the walking dead will be closer to the comic than i would've originally thought.

of all those horrors you just listed, i'm not sure eye gouging would really be so bad. just sayin'.
    edited November 2010
    well thats cuz it's never happened to you!

sounds good oscar. i guess i gotta get on breaking bad sooner rather than later.
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited November 2010
    This show is SOOOOOOOO good. wow.
  • KrystofKrystof Road Warrior
    edited November 2010
    Amazed by this show. Ratings and viewers are in it's favor too(top watched show on AMC).
    edited November 2010
    yeah those that wanted more gore and a faster pace certainly got it with last night's episode.
  • PbatemanPbateman Road Warrior
    edited November 2010
    The second episode, "Guts", seemed to be less interesting than the first episode. It was mostly run from the zombies. On the other hand, I was falling asleep during the second half pretty bad, so I will probably give it another look before the next episode.