AMC's Walking Dead mini-series!

Comments

• Maybe they mean that Maggie would be a two-for-one murder since she's pregnant.
  • Welp.
  • brookfieldworldorderbrookfieldworldorder Opening Act
    edited October 2016
    Season 7, Episode 1. "The Day Will Come When You Won't Be"

OK. Let's get the quibbles out of the way first. Can't keep this entirely spoiler free, my apologies.

1. Waiting almost 30 minutes into the episode for the big reveal after six months of teasing fans was b.s., it says here. It smacked of network meddling so AMC could jack up ad rates. You had a captive audience waiting to see what happened and more than likely would be invested in the fallout. The reveal should've happened right away.

2. This completely -- to me, anyway -- invalided a major plot point in Season 6, something that also seemingly had network meddling written all over it.

Now the good stuff.

1. Jeffrey Dean Morgan. Think Bane in the run-up to breaking Batman's back. A walkoff home run, complete with bat flip. Goddamn, this man deserves an Emmy.

2. The actual execution (no pun intended) of the big reveal -- once we finally got to it. This was everything it needed to be and more. Andrew Lincoln and Lauren Cohan were particularly excellent here.

3. As with Episode 100 in the graphic novel, this was the flashpoint for a dramatic, darker turn in the series and made you want to see how the major players are impacted going forward. Very little is known about Negan's life before the outbreak in the comics. Curious to see if he'll get a backstory episode like Morgan did.

9.5/10, because I'm petty and those quibbles REALLY bug me. But everything else was fantastic.

Looks like we're catching up with Morgan and Carol next week. Giddyup.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited October 2016
    What an episode. Whoa. WHOA.

As a longtime fan of both the comic and the show, I am satisfied. Emotionally drained? Yes. But satisfied? Extremely. Absolutely insane. JDM is killing it as Negan. This season is gonna be so wild. Woo! My adrenaline is still flowing and I finished watching over an hour ago!
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited October 2016
    I watched the pilot, and also the 2nd episode. My wife has seen everything, and even wrote a paper connecting the themes to her profession [archeology]. I joined her last night for the first 20 minutes, I guess I was curious about the hype.

What an unpleasant and nasty episode! I guess that's the point of the show, but it's just not a story I want to follow. At least they are clear about what they are doing, so you know what you are getting: "this show is going to go on forever and none of the characters will ever find peace".

I think I understand why others are hooked, if nothing else it started out brilliantly and it has a real addictive quality to it.
  • The worst episodes are generally the ones where the characters find small moments of peace.
  • JDM is a genius as negan. But why follow the comic so closely? Abraham in the show is sort of meh to begin with. Needed to be a bigger character, like Daryl, to be honest to keep interest. Now i will not be watching.
    The show's writing has crumbled significantly.
  • The worst episodes are generally the ones where the characters find small moments of peace.

I disgree, literally all I want from this show is peace and an endgame. A goal. Something to achieve.

It's been a long time since I've felt that. Every time I watch I just feel immensely depressed. These episodes get heavier and heavier.
  • Well you are watching it for the complete opposite reasons most are. The majority of complaints have come from when the group is in a peaceful holding pattern.
  • Negan said it best in the episode. What did we expect, a happy little picnic where everyone lives a happy life? That's not what the show/comic is about and that's not what we're going to get. If people can't accept that, then the show isn't for them.

I greatly appreciated the toppling of the Ricktatorship.
  • THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW YORK - It's hard to miss the message from the season premiere of “The Walking Dead”: blood pays off.

The gory episode of the popular AMC drama was seen by just over 17 million viewers on Sunday night, the Nielsen company said. That left it short of the 2014 season premiere of 17.3 million for most-watched episode of the series ever, but AMC believes that when additional digital and delayed viewing is added in, this season's opener will be the all-time champ.

AMC's postgame show, “Talking Dead,” had its biggest-ever audience among people wanting to dissect the opener.

For the week of Oct. 17-23, the top 10 shows, their networks and viewerships:

NFL Football: Seattle at Arizona, NBC, 17.71 million
    “The Walking Dead,” AMC, 17.03 million
    “60 Minutes,” CBS, 15.99 million
    “NCIS,” CBS, 14.77 million
    NFL Football: Chicago at Green Bay, CBS, 14.202 million
    “The Big Bang Theory,” CBS, 14.196 million
    “Bull,” CBS, 12.29 million
    “Sunday Night NFL Pre-Kick,” NBC, 12.01 million
    “NCIS: Los Angeles,” CBS, 11.4 million
    “The Voice” (Monday), NBC, 11.38 million.
  • jayou521jayou521 Washed Up
    edited October 2016
    Heartbroken. Absolutely brutal episode, but brilliantly directed.

1. Waiting almost 30 minutes into the episode for the big reveal after six months of teasing fans was b.s., it says here. It smacked of network meddling so AMC could jack up ad rates. You had a captive audience waiting to see what happened and more than likely would be invested in the fallout. The reveal should've happened right away.

I am in total disagreement with this. I wasn't expecting them to reveal it right away, but I also wasn't expecting the episode to flow the way it did. I thought it was a pleasant surprise. Greg Nicotero did an amazing job directing. It just worked really well.
    It made sense to see the events from Rick's point of view, considering the need to have him broken/understand the situation he's in. I read a good review that said the violence was necessary because not only did Rock need to break, but the audience did too.
  • Regardless of if there was monetary incentive to do so I also agree that they did well to do it the way they did.

I didn't agree with what happened with Daryl and all that after but I did like how they did what they did with the other guy.

Or maybe I should just say

SPOILERS:

I didn't like the fact that they did a fake Daryl about to get killed swerved into a Glenn getting killed thing, but I did love how they had Glenn all f'd up and still trying to talk to Maggie. It was brutal to see.

And maybe my Maggie prediction was because the 2 closest people to her (one by proximity and one being Glenn) died. It definitely looked like for a second he was going for Maggie before hitting Abraham.

This leads me to question their claim that they were going further away from the comic. Maggie becomes leader of The Hilltop and they still seem to be on that path.

The next episode seems to be away from the people in this one though so it'll be fun to see these other places.
    edited October 2016

SPOILERS:

You should put that in a spoiler tag.
  • Season 7, Episode 2. "The Well"

A necessary counterpoint to the brutality of the previous week. Fantastic introduction to Khary Payton's Ezekiel, as you learn pretty much all you need to know about him in 45 minutes - the conversation with Carol near the end of the episode was tremendous.

The Kingdom seems more hopeful than Woodbury, the prison, Terminus and even Alexandria and the Hilltop, but this episode also did a great job pointing out how fragile that hope actually is.

And a big thumbs up for Jerry - "I stay in hollerin' range. Deuces!" 9/10

Looks like we could be furthering the Daryl vs. Dwight subplot next week.
  • Ezekiel is my new favorite Walking Dead Character...

...that or his pet Tiger. Looking forward to seeing that Tiger murder some walkers or Saviors at some point.
  • Season 7, Episode 3. "The Cell"

Our first look inside The Sanctuary and how Negan is able to exert his will.

Thought this did a great job illustrating how Dwight and Daryl are essentially different sides of the same coin -- lieutenants in their groups who took drastically different paths to get to where they are. The major difference is that though Daryl is captive in body, his will hasn't been broken. Dwight has risen to a place of power, but only as a result of the grace and sacrifice of others.

Any episode with A Town Called Malice in the intro gets a thumbs up from me. 9/10
    edited November 2016
  • jayou521 said:
    I added the song to my spotify lol.
    It's catchy as hell even if it is just full of cheese. Can see potential in them though. Love the old school vibes all over.

But caught up on the last two episodes.. decided why not.

Episode two was maybe a 6/10. Nothing spectacular, the dialogue wasn't written very well... even making Carols acting cringe worthy.

Episode three, while I liked that they tortured Daryl (lol not a fan).. also cheesy. Teasing fans with a sense of "Daryls going to die" and never going through with it is getting old fast.... 4/10

Episode Four is 90 minutes long? Hope it makes up for the last two..
  • DrowGamer77DrowGamer77 Serious Business
    i haven't watched this show since the season 5 finale.

I lost interest after the Prison. My wife fills me in (funny since I got her started on the show) and I don't really feel like I'm missing a thing.
  • Season 7, Episode 4. "Service"

The Alexandrians make their first payment to the Saviors. Not sure why this needed to be 90 minutes, as it dragged badly in places and made Negan seem too one-dimensional and over-the-top. Rick's admission near the end of the episode didn't really do anything for me, either.

Interesting to see how Gabriel's gambit will play out going forward, though. Spencer looks a lot more likely to be the next one to bite the dust now, too. 6/10
  • Season 7, Episode 5. "Go-Getters"

Maggie and Sasha reach the Hilltop, as do a couple visitors from Alexandria, and events are set in motion for change. Xander Berkeley again shines as the kowtowing Gregory and Tom Payne's Jesus is forced to step up and play a greater role. Steven Ogg's Simon was pretty good here, too. You just know that whole Trojan Horse plan is going to end up backfiring, though.

The Forbes review called it the worst episode to date in the series (the Beth episodes in Season 4 were much worse, it says here). Certainly not a great episode, but at least storylines were moved forward. And it wasn't 60 minutes stretched out into 90 like last week. 7/10
  • bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner
    edited November 2016
    Not even close to the worst episode to date. A bunch of season 2 still easily holds that honor.
  • Not even close to the worst episode to date. A bunch of season 2 still easily holds that honor.

Or most of Season 4 and 5 lol.
  • Not even close to the worst episode to date. A bunch of season 2 still easily holds that honor.

Or most of Season 4 and 5 lol.
    Those were still better than bunches of 2 no matter how dull.

I never want to see Coral laid up in a bed again.
  • Season 7, Episode 6. "Swear"

Hey, remember Tara and Heath? No? Well, here's 70 minutes of them (mostly Tara). At least this was a little better than the Beth episodes from Season 4 in that Oceanside will play a role going forward (they have guns, Alexandria doesn't ... you get the picture), but that's about it.

Ratings have dropped by six million viewers since the season opener. Don't see this one bringing them back, especially with a strong NFL game as competition tonight. 5/10
  • DrowGamer77DrowGamer77 Serious Business
    edited November 2016
    I quit watching at the end of season 5. Haven't found a compelling reason to come back, and this thread doesn't help too much

but at least it helps give me context!
  • I liked this tangential episode, if for no other reason but showing that other survivor groups have tried to stand up to Negan's gang, and failed miserably.

Some of my friends, and people online have suggested that Rick and Co. could just go on the offensive and wipe out all of Negan's group, but it's clear now that they are simply too powerful. I think the show made a mistake in taking this long to bring out Negan, and involuntarily made Rick look unstoppable, that's why many fans have been alienated.
  • I liked this tangential episode, if for no other reason but showing that other survivor groups have tried to stand up to Negan's gang, and failed miserably.

Some of my friends, and people online have suggested that Rick and Co. could just go on the offensive and wipe out all of Negan's group, but it's clear now that they are simply too powerful. I think the show made a mistake in taking this long to bring out Negan, and involuntarily made Rick look unstoppable, that's why many fans have been alienated.

Umm.. they are loosely following the comic and he showed up in both at roughly the same point.

The comic also made Rick look super strong when they took over Alexandria.

Also we saw already in the last episode last season, first this season, and the Daryl episode (as well as Negan having his thumb firmly on The Hilltop and The Kingdom) how much of a threat he is. This episode was completely unnecessary from that standpoint.

It does however introduce some potential for future story (Tara telling Rick or someone else about the guns; the granddaughter maybe helping/joining Rick's group).
  • It's definitely just screen time for Tara to be killed off.. same thing happened to Beth. This show gets bored of characters and kills them off with no direction. Beth's death was the most ignorant script I've ever seen.