Stephen King Thread!!!

LedZeppTroyLedZeppTroy Road Warrior
edited June 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
I've been a Stephen King fan for a long time and I didnt see one of these on here (if theres already one let me know) so I figured I would make one. So post anything about Stephen King like your favorite books by him, what youre reading by him and what you think about that book, or post what you think about some of his book that have been turned into films.

As of right now I'm finishing up one of his newer novels Under The Dome. I'm about 200 pages toward the end and it's been a really good book. Going in to it I thought it wouldnt be as great as some of his newer novels have been. It has a lot in common with another one of his great novels The Stand.

Comments

• Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited July 2010
    Lol, I saw Under The Dome in my local Border's. It looked like the size of an average Encyclopedia. It was massive!

Anyways, I enjoy King's work, but he can really be hit or miss. The Dark Tower books were great, though I still question the ending, there was a huge build up, but the ending just didn't live up to the hype.

I've also read IT and The Stand. IT was slow and long, The Stand though was great. Easily my favorite King book so far. Everybody should give The Stand a read.
  • LedZeppTroyLedZeppTroy Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    Mega-Tallica;3897809 said:
    Lol, I saw Under The Dome in my local Border's. It looked like the size of an average Encyclopedia. It was massive!

Anyways, I enjoy King's work, but he can really be hit or miss. The Dark Tower books were great, though I still question the ending, there was a huge build up, but the ending just didn't live up to the hype.

I've also read IT and The Stand. IT was slow and long, The Stand though was great. Easily my favorite King book so far. Everybody should give The Stand a read.
    Yeah Under the Dome is pretty huge 1070 some pages. I never have really got into the Dark Tower series I might try it later on. IT and The Stand are two of his greatest works and I would also recommend everybody to give them a read.
  • Fishy70Fishy70 Rising Star
    edited July 2010
    Thanks to Stephen King I know longer just think clowns are stupid I now also have a notion that if I use the bathroom there gonna come out of the toilet and bite my ass
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited July 2010
    You have heard the music album that Stephen King contributed to recently, right?
    edited July 2010
    killer_roach;3897877 said:
    You have heard the music album that Stephen King contributed to recently, right?
    The Shooter Jennings one? If so not yet I need to though, he was doing the voice of a D.J. or something for thier concept albulm.
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, that's the album I was referring to. It's quite interesting.
  • trueguitarist88trueguitarist88 Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    In 7th grade (going into 9th grade) I read The Mist and after that I tried reading Cujo but I gave up I was about halfway through but I had barely any idea what was going on. I think I bit more than I could chew. I'll try reading it again eventually though...
    edited July 2010
    trueguitarist88;3897995 said:
    In 7th grade (going into 9th grade) I read The Mist and after that I tried reading Cujo but I gave up I was about halfway through but I had barely any idea what was going on. I think I bit more than I could chew. I'll try reading it again eventually though...
    I've been wanting to read The Mist in his collection of short stories called Skeleton Crew. The movie IMO was good even though most people hate the ending.Cujo is a good read you should give it another try.Stephen King says he doesnt even remember writing Cujo. It was during a part of his career when he was heavily drinking.
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited July 2010
    I've read most of Kings stuff. As a teen I went on a bender one summer and read just about all of his books. :)

I'd say The Stand, It, Needful Things, and The Dead Zone are my favs.
  • BevoTheWarriorBevoTheWarrior Cow Patty
    edited July 2010
    I may be in the minority but one of my favorite King books is Bag of Bones. It's about as close as you can get to a romantic horror story and it's one of my all-time favorites to this day. I've read just about all of King's books and short stories (haven't gotten around to Under the Dome yet) but Bag of Bones is easily the one I've read the most.
  • topperharleytopperharley Son of Statler and Waldorf
    edited July 2010
    I like his short stories much better than his novels. Holy **** that man is long winded.
  • gosox333gosox333 Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    I'm a huge fan of Stephen King. Last year in school I had a study hall. That meant 90 minutes of me just sitting in the learning center, doing nothing. I needed something to do everyday, so I rented The Tommyknockers from the library, and from there I went on a massive Stephen King bender.

My top 5:

5. The Tommyknockers (But it kills me to leave Insomnia off the list...)
    4. Firestarter
    3. Rita whatshername and the Shawshank Redemption
    2. The Stand
    1. Cell

Cell has to be one of my favorites of all time, and The Stand isn't far behind that. I'm about to tackle Under the Dome and hopefully It after that.

....I copied and pasted that last part from the other book thread....
    edited July 2010
    gosox333;3898197 said:
    I'm about to tackle Under the Dome and hopefully It after that.

....I copied and pasted that last part from the other book thread....
    I'm about to finish Under The Dome right now and so far I think it's up there as one of his best. It is one of his greatest novels, It was one of the books I first read by him.
    edited July 2010
    My top 5 favorite books by Stephen King are:
    5.The Stand
    4.Diffrent Seasons
    3.Night Shift
    2.Pet Semetary
    1.IT
    edited July 2010
    BevoTheWarrior;3898174 said:
    I may be in the minority but one of my favorite King books is Bag of Bones. It's about as close as you can get to a romantic horror story and it's one of my all-time favorites to this day. I've read just about all of King's books and short stories (haven't gotten around to Under the Dome yet) but Bag of Bones is easily the one I've read the most.
    I haven't read Bag of Bones yet but it's on my list of Stephen King books to read. (Along with some of his Richard Bachman pen name books I haven't read yet.)
    edited July 2010
    Just finished Under The Dome last night and I thought it was great. I highly recommend it to Stephen King fans. Going to start Geralds Game tonight I've never read it before.
    edited August 2010
    About finished with Geralds Game, it's not one of his greatest achievments but it's okay.
    edited August 2010
    LedZeppTroy;3910544 said:
    About finished with Geralds Game, it's not one of his greatest achievments but it's okay.
    Yeah, I thought about saying something when you said you were about to start it but I figured I'd hold back and let you form your own opinion. I wasn't very impressed with that one - it was kinda boring.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited August 2010
    I haven't read a whole lot of books, but Stephen King is easily my most-read author. One of the first books with real chapters and no pictures that I was actually motivated to finish reading was Firestarter, and once in a while I still have to pick it up and read it again. I was an only child being raised by a single parent, and while I never developed any ability to set anything on fire just by looking at it, the two-against-the-world theme of the book resonated with me.

My other favorite of his is The Stand, particularly the expanded edition. I love a good apocalyptic story, which is why Alas, Babylon and the "Left Behind" series are also among my favorite reads.

Other King books I enjoyed are The Dead Zone, Cujo, 'Salem's Lot, Misery and Needful Things. I also read Rose Madder, which started good but finished a bit "meh." Then there was Thinner, which King wrote using his Richard Bachman alias. It was well written, but I got the impression you are supposed to hate pretty much every character in the book, and to me that doesn't make for an enjoyable story.
    edited August 2010
    BevoTheWarrior;3910983 said:
    Yeah, I thought about saying something when you said you were about to start it but I figured I'd hold back and let you form your own opinion. I wasn't very impressed with that one - it was kinda boring.
    Yeah, some parts of it has it's ups but I found myself trying to keep interested in it. I even dozed off for a couple of minutes reading through it last night.
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited August 2010
    Gerald's Game, Rose Madder, and Dolores Claiborne were all written around the same time and were dedicated to the diffrent women in King's life. The pacing's a little diffrent but overall are still good novels.
    edited August 2010
    Lawdog1521;3911494 said:
    Gerald's Game, Rose Madder, and Dolores Claiborne were all written around the same time and were dedicated to the diffrent women in King's life. The pacing's a little diffrent but overall are still good novels.
    Geralds Game is good and I like the plot to it, but like you said about the pacing, I guess it just loses me here and there. I plan on reading Dolores Claiborne in the future it's supposed to be linked somewhat to the story Geralds Game.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited August 2010
    My favorite has always been The Shinning.

Reading insomnia now.

Oh, Thinner was a great read, almost forgot about that one.
    edited August 2010
    Sayburr;3913239 said:

Oh, Thinner was a great read, almost forgot about that one.
    The movie actually wasn't that bad either.

I've been thinking about getting back into King lately. Any suggestions?

I've already read all the Dark Towers, The Stand and IT.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited August 2010
    Mega-Tallica;3913247 said:

Go through the Castle Rock novels: The Dead Zone, Cujo, The Dark Half and Needful Things. There are also a number of Castle Rock short stories, including The Body which is what became the movie Stand by Me. The Body was published in the book Different Seasons.
    edited August 2010
    FujiSkunk;3913336 said:
    Go through the Castle Rock novels: The Dead Zone, Cujo, The Dark Half and Needful Things. There are also a number of Castle Rock short stories, including The Body which is what became the movie Stand by Me. The Body was published in the book Different Seasons.
    Cool. I'll look into those. Thank you. :)
    edited August 2010
    Mega-Tallica;3913340 said:
    Cool. I'll look into those. Thank you. :)
    Yeah pretty much what that guy said. Diffrent seasons is my favorite collection of novellas by King, The Body is awsome and Cujo is one of my favorite novels.
    edited August 2010
    Mega-Tallica;3913247 said:

I'd recommend Bag of Bones, Desperation and for something very different but very cool, Eyes of the Dragon.
  • edited August 2010
    Eyes of the Dragon is fantastic.

I also really like the short story collection Nightmares and Dreamscapes. 'You Know They've got a Hell of a Band' should be required reading for any RB player. :D
    edited August 2010
    I'll definitely give all these a look next time I'm at Border's. Thanks guys. :)