Generation gap: what do you think of the other generations' music?

AdamWill2AdamWill2 Rising Star
edited January 2008 in History of Rock
I thought it might be interesting to hear what people think about the music of the 'other generations' in Rock Band. Personally, I grew up listening to Nirvana, Radiohead and so on, and I still listen to a lot of music today so I'm familiar with most of the 00s bands in there. But I've been having a lot of fun hearing the older songs in the game - stuff like Foreplay / Long Time and Gimme Shelter are great great rock songs. I do listen to older stuff but it's mostly more obscure than that - most of the 70s bands in Rock Band are ones I haven't listened to before.

What's everyone else's take? For the younger people, what do you think of the 60s-70s stuff in RB? For the older people, what do you make of the 90s-00s stuff? How do bands like Pixies and Queens Of The Stone Age sound compared to the stuff you know inside out?

Be interesting to hear everyone's take.

edit: placed this here rather than history of rock because it's really supposed to be about *the songs in the game*. If you want to go for a broader Decade X vs. Decade Y comparison, please start a thread in History of Rock. :)

Comments

• CrimsonEdgeCrimsonEdge Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    Here's a breakdown of the era's of rock I like:

60's-70's=incredible.

80's=terrible.

90's=got a bit better.

2000's=worse than the 80's.

Edit: As for the songs in the game...

70's were great.

80's has Tom Sawyer. Worst song in the game next to Electric Version.

90's is probably the best out of the list.

2000's have very few songs I like. Read: 2.
  • c6insdc6insd Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    Music is music. Different ages express themselves differently - if you truly appreciate music, you can truly appreciate each era's music.

I'm 40 (well, in a couple months), so I "grew up" with 60s/70s/80s rock. I've always been into music though, so I've followed and enjoyed music across all the decades. Just like each decade, there's stuff I like and stuff I don't.

As far as the music within Rockband, most of it is at least "good" to me, and the DLC has been pretty great imho.
  • JShmazzleJShmazzle Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    I'm convinced, and it seems fairly plausible, that Rock Band was created by people right around my age (31).

Growing up in the late 80's, Poison, Motley Crue, Metallica, GnR, and several others were in my tape deck. Pearl Jam and Nirvana got me through high school. As I've gotten older, I listen to quite a bit of late 60's and 70's rock. I've listened to a fair amount of 00's stuff as well, though pockets of good bands are harder and harder to find amongst the crap.

What gets into Harmonix' games is pretty good. The 70's have been represented beautifully. The 80's are doing pretty well, but I could use a little more glam, and even some hair. The 90's stuff is good. The 00's represent a fair amount of what I like as well, aside from Fall Out Boy, which is near the worst ever. Jet, Hives, Queens, and OK Go are all good choices.

Overall, as far as music from the past 45+ years, I'm pretty much a centrist. A lot of it is good for different reasons, and Harmonix gets a good mix in the game. It's harder picking newer songs, as they have to gamble a bit on popularity and staying power. It's much easier to throw a Rolling Stones song in there, who doesn't like the Stones?

And are you lumping Pixies in with new rock, or just saying they're obscure? Because I was listening to them in the late 80's. I guess you could count the reformation. They're a good addition, though. I'd even like to see some Frank Black (Los Angeles), or some new/retro Black Francis.
  • schmittyschmitty Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    Im 20 and I can't stand most of the 90's and 00 stuff. There is some 80's stuff in the game that I like as well as some 60's and 70's. There is only 2 songs from the 90's I like and 1 song from 00 and I only can tolerate those 3 songs.
  • AdamWill2AdamWill2 Rising Star
    edited January 2008
    I mentioned Pixies as they're right around the late 80s / early 90s, and their initial fanbase was very young, so I consider them more an 'early 90s band' than a 'late 80s band'. I figure mostly people who consider the real '80s bands' to be 'their' music would not include Pixies in the set :)
  • pulseMODpulseMOD Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    c6insd;227965 said:
    Music is music. Different ages express themselves differently - if you truly appreciate music, you can truly appreciate each era's music.

I'm 40 (well, in a couple months), so I "grew up" with 60s/70s/80s rock. I've always been into music though, so I've followed and enjoyed music across all the decades. Just like each decade, there's stuff I like and stuff I don't.

As far as the music within Rockband, most of it is at least "good" to me, and the DLC has been pretty great imho.
    agreed, except that i'm only 22. but as long as the music sounds good i don't care what generation or even what genre it came from.
    edited January 2008
    btw, since it seems to be coming up, my take on the 90s - 00s stuff - my era - in the original game (haven't got into DLC yet) is that it's okay but not great. I hate the Strokes, and putting Jet in the same game as some of the greatest classic rock acts of all time just illustrates exactly *how* pale an imitation they are. But you can't argue with Nirvana or Radiohead (although they really could've included a newer song than Creep), I like Say It Ain't So (though I'm a Pinkerton guy as far as Weezer is concerned), and of the stuff I didn't know from outside the game, I was very impressed with Here It Goes Again, Maps, Electric Version (yes, I like it) and the QOTSA track, among others.
  • CrimsonEdgeCrimsonEdge Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    c6insd;227965 said:
    if you truly appreciate music, you can truly appreciate each era's music.
    I can't even begin to express how incorrect this is =\. It's like saying "If you truly appreciate T.V., you can truly appreciate each channels shows." It's simply not true and fallacious. You imply that if one truly doesn't appreciate music from an era then one does not truly appreciate music.

It's simply not true.

Edit: I'll put it like this. Good music is timeless and is not identifiable with the era it came out of. Good music can not be identified from the era it came out of. I can clearly identify 90% of every song from the 80's because of the reverbed out snare. Because of this, the music is not timeless. It has an age that can be identified. This is one reason why GnR, Pink Floyd, The Who, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Radiohead, Pantera, and a hand full of other bands are so famous. They transcend the boundaries of the era they came out of.

And in that sense, yes, I can appreciate music from every era. However, I can't appreciate music riding on the fads of the times. The bands I listed above have not done this (except Pink Floyd who had a quick stint with the 80's style drums... coincidentally it was the worst stuff they put out).
  • LinkinPark1992LinkinPark1992 Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    Im 15 and i think it goes like this from best down.
    1. 70's Nothing beat Zepp, The Who etc.
    2. 90's Great Bands: Nirvana, Metallica, Sound Garden
    3. 00's a lot of garbage (FOB, MCR) but also some good bands like LinkinPark,
    Staind, 3 Days Grace
    4. 80's: noting that great

Closing Statemnt: 70's had the amazing bands with people who were great at what they did.
    90's grunge is great and some good instrument work.
    My problem with the 00's is there are very few bands that are actually good. Most bands can barely even play live and u never hear a good guitar solo anymore just 3 guys playing the same few chords.
  • c6insdc6insd Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    CrimsonEdge;228015 said:
    You imply that if one truly doesn't appreciate music from an era then one does not truly appreciate music.
    No, you assume that. I didn't say anything about appreciating music from an era - I stated music - era-less, as a whole. There will always be specifics that one may or may not like, but overall I believe my statement stands.

Also, you must understand that appreciation does not equal "like". I appreciate country music, but I'm certainly not a fan of country.
  • holygroundholyground Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    schmitty;227989 said:
    Im 20 and I can't stand most of the 90's and 00 stuff. There is some 80's stuff in the game that I like as well as some 60's and 70's. There is only 2 songs from the 90's I like and 1 song from 00 and I only can tolerate those 3 songs.

This is what peaks my interest. (and I'm as curious as the OP about this and other generational problems)...

Schmitty, if you're 20 now, that means you were .... wiki.... 7ish when Cobain died? My math might be wrong, but that was 13 years ago. The only reason I'm bringing this up (not to flame, I swear) but I'm interested in the differences between my generation and the one that comes after me. I'm 27, which puts me at the very-tail end of the Gen X crowd.

Most of the 90's bands in there got me through highschool/college. I am as un-snobbish about music as you can get while still hating country's guts. But I'm curious as to the differences culturally and musically between the two generations.

As a side-note. For those of you in the Gen X/older crowds.... how hard is it to make new, RL friends? I've been doing some informal research on the topic. It seems like once fellers (sorry ladies) get out of college, they can't make new, lasting buddies.

If you listen to SModcast, you might now what I'm talkin about.

/holy.
  • LinkinPark1992LinkinPark1992 Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    well here is also my opinion about my generation
    Im 15 and most people my age like 3 kinds of music:
    Rap, Hip Hop, etc:
    all of this is garbage to me
    Emo, Goth, Pop Rock:
    Bands like MCR, FOB. I think they garbage to. No real musical talent, most of these bands got no vocals, and have 3 guitarists that play a couple of chords)
    Older Rock:
    The rest of us like older rock, probably got it from our parents and stuff but in my opinion u cant beat bands like Zepp, Nirvana.
    Not all the music from my generation is bad, some is really good but u dont really come over many bands that r trully talented in what they do.
  • pulseMODpulseMOD Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    I think people who say that the newer stuff lacks talent are just looking in the wrong places. I listen to alot of new stuff like Bullet For My Valentine, Media Lab and even Celldweller and there's quite a bit of talent there IMO o well
  • JixzerJixzer Hillbilly Deluxe
    edited January 2008
    I guess to me, era and genre is superfluous. First I'll let everyong know that I am 35, married with 3 kids (not sure if that has any relevence at all, but a little added info never hurts).

In my 1000+ CDs and gig upon gig of downloaded music, I have everything from Country (a majority) to the Monkeys, The Byrds, The Mamas and the Papas, Nirvana, Godsmack, Alanis Morrisette, Queens of the Stone Age, Eminem, Steve Miller, Guns and Roses, Bon Jovi, Metalica, Queen, Rush, Clapton, Nugent, The Doors, Motley Crue, The Cure, Duran Duran, Papa Roach, Flight of Seagulls, and on and on and on. I like what I like and make no excuses for it.

Some say that some band/music is too simple. So what? Simple can work. I know simple songs that are great songs as there are incredibly hard to play songs that just plain suck (Dragonforce anyone? J/K..I just hear a lot of people bashing them. LOL. To be honest, I don't have any of their songs.)

There are some artists/bands that I absolutely hate but they happened to squeeze out a tune I enjoy, so I download it (Kanye West's "Stronger" for example). Anybody that lumps any one genre or era into the "Sucks" category is a narrow minded idiot in my opinion.

Each genre/era has is winners and losers.
  • schmittyschmitty Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    holyground;228037 said:
    This is what peaks my interest. (and I'm as curious as the OP about this and other generational problems)...

Schmitty, if you're 20 now, that means you were .... wiki.... 7ish when Cobain died? My math might be wrong, but that was 13 years ago. The only reason I'm bringing this up (not to flame, I swear) but I'm interested in the differences between my generation and the one that comes after me. I'm 27, which puts me at the very-tail end of the Gen X crowd.

Most of the 90's bands in there got me through highschool/college. I am as un-snobbish about music as you can get while still hating country's guts. But I'm curious as to the differences culturally and musically between the two generations.

As a side-note. For those of you in the Gen X/older crowds.... how hard is it to make new, RL friends? I've been doing some informal research on the topic. It seems like once fellers (sorry ladies) get out of college, they can't make new, lasting buddies.

If you listen to SModcast, you might now what I'm talkin about.

/holy.
    For me music has always just been music. Nothing more nothing less. May not be the same for everyone but thats how it is for me. I didn't need music or anything to get through high school. I like music that sounds good to me and the music that they put in rock band from those decades are not bands I like from those decades.
  • polishdog90polishdog90 Road Warrior
    edited January 2008
    Jixzer;228112 said:
    There are some artists/bands that I absolutely hate but they happened to squeeze out a tune I enjoy, so I download it (Kanye West's "Stronger" for example). Anybody that lumps any one genre or era into the "Sucks" category is a narrow minded idiot in my opinion.

Each genre/era has is winners and losers.
    I can honestly say that I don't like anything in the "emo" genre. I have listened to a lot of bands who call themselves emo and they all have sounded like garbage to me. I just plain don't like that style of music. Its like pop rock with singers that have whiny voices.
    edited January 2008
    Im 17 and I like older music better. There are some bands I like from today, but most mainstream music is more of a business than an art.

I love the 60s. The Beatles, Beach Boys, Monkees and those style bands are the pop rock bands that I enjoy. I also like the whole psychedelic rock bands with Cream, Hendrix, The Doors, Floyd, and Zeppelin.

I love the 70s. This was when hard rock peaked. Probably my favorite era, beacuse all of the music I like from the 60s carried on into the 70s while countless new great bands were being formed.

The 80s were great. This was when metal peaked for me. I liked all the thrash metal and even the glam metal. The punk scene was pretty cool too. I even like some of the really lame pop songs.

The 90s were alright. I like the grunge scene alot and some good thrash metal came out in the early 90s. I also like some of the early hiphop/rap that came out during this time. I like most of the music from the first half of the 90s, because after that the boy bands started to rule the music world.

The 2000s are the worst for me. I like a lot of bands, but there is just so much garbage that comes out today. The music from pretty much every genre is garbage that you hear on the radio/see on mtv. There are good bands, but you have to search for them because the media only focuses on the stuff that they think will sell the best for the little girls.

I love every era of music, but I like the older stuff better.
    edited January 2008
    polishdog90;228125 said:
    I can honestly say that I don't like anything in the "emo" genre. I have listened to a lot of bands who call themselves emo and they all have sounded like garbage to me. I just plain don't like that style of music. Its like pop rock with singers that have whiny voices.
    To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what bands fall in the "EMO" category sans a few. MCR for example. I have read several posts putting them in the EMO category while other posts say they aren't. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't, but I like a few of their songs. I like 'Dead', 'Helena', and a few others, and the only time I cut myself is when I'm not being careful shaving.

Sorry, I don't buy your "honest" remark. The phrase "self fulfilling prophecy" comes to mind. Basicly, you don't like the idea of being associated with the Emo crowd or your friends don't like it, so to fit either, you have already chosen your "taste" before you even hear the song. But then, I'm an adult, so what do I know?
    edited January 2008
    Jixzer;228156 said:
    To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what bands fall in the "EMO" category sans a few. MCR for example. I have read several posts putting them in the EMO category while other posts say they aren't. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't, but I like a few of their songs. I like 'Dead', 'Helena', and a few others, and the only time I cut myself is when I'm not being careful shaving.

Sorry, I don't buy your "honest" remark. The phrase "self fulfilling prophecy" comes to mind. Basicly, you don't like the idea of being associated with the Emo crowd or your friends don't like it, so to fit either, you have already chosen your "taste" before you even hear the song. But then, I'm an adult, so what do I know?
    I like to listen to all music with an open mind. Then I decide if I like it or not. I listen to Glam metal and all my friends make fun of me for it and I don't care. If I really wanted to listen to music just so most of my friends would agree with it I would be listening to 50 cent and Kanye West and that stuff. The bands that fall under the "emo" catagory today are pretty much pop bands with an "emo" image. If someone finds an emo band that I like Ill listen to it, but so far I have no luck.
    edited January 2008
    Can I please repeat this statement from the original post:

"placed this here rather than history of rock because it's really supposed to be about *the songs in the game*. If you want to go for a broader Decade X vs. Decade Y comparison, please start a thread in History of Rock. "

This is *not* a generic "this decade vs. that decade" thread. Please don't post about that here. Go to the appropriate forum.
    edited January 2008
    polishdog90;228180 said:
    I like to listen to all music with an open mind. Then I decide if I like it or not. I listen to Glam metal and all my friends make fun of me for it and I don't care. If I really wanted to listen to music just so most of my friends would agree with it I would be listening to 50 cent and Kanye West and that stuff. The bands that fall under the "emo" catagory today are pretty much pop bands with an "emo" image. If someone finds an emo band that I like Ill listen to it, but so far I have no luck.
    Fair enough. :) Sorry for the rather caustic response earlier, I'm a bit of a cynic.
  • Setsu102Setsu102 Rising Star
    edited January 2008
    Jixzer;228156 said:

You only know what you've experienced and learned over time, like everyone else.

I'm 19 and I suppose I fit in much better with the older crowd. Born in 88' and I feel like I maybe should have been born 10-20 years earlier because that's the music I enjoy the most.

I like some modern/new bands, but I simply have no interest in most of them because they are bland in my eyes. Most older bands like The Who or Metallica had or have something about them that makes them stand out. A lot of bands today don't have this wow factor or individualism about them that makes them special.

Many bands today sound eerily alike and can't seem to leave this power chord rut where everyone has forgotten or never learned how to use their instruments.

I don't mind Rap or Hip-Hop as long as it's well written and isn't the current club hit. I like Run DMC and the NWA, they at least had substance. They brought something to music that hadn't been seen before.

I enjoy Progressive Rock/Metal but I also enjoy bands like The Police.

I like a little something from each genre in Rock Band, but I'd have to say that I like the 60's-70's and the 90's the most.
    edited January 2008
    AdamWill2;228183 said:
    Can I please repeat this statement from the original post:

"placed this here rather than history of rock because it's really supposed to be about *the songs in the game*. If you want to go for a broader Decade X vs. Decade Y comparison, please start a thread in History of Rock. "

This is *not* a generic "this decade vs. that decade" thread. Please don't post about that here. Go to the appropriate forum.
    oops I missed that part. I think that in the game the 70s are still the best, but I love Harmonix's choices for the 2000s. I think that the 80s section is a bit weak, but the DLC has been helping make up for that. The 90s is probably my least favorite section.

I think that the older generations' music is more fun to play in the game because it is more challenging instrumentally, wheras the newer generations' music is more basic. If you just look at the tiers in difficulty most of the hard songs are older and most of the really easy ones are newer. The newer generations' songs are pretty fun to sing though.
    edited January 2008
    Setsu102;228209 said:
    You only know what you've experienced and learned over time, like everyone else.

I'm 19 and I suppose I fit in much better with the older crowd. Born in 88' and I feel like I maybe should have been born 10-20 years earlier because that's the music I enjoy the most.

I like some modern/new bands, but I simply have no interest in most of them because they are bland in my eyes. Most older bands like The Who or Metallica had or have something about them that makes them stand out. A lot of bands today don't have this wow factor or individualism about them that makes them special.

Many bands today sound eerily alike and can't seem to leave this power chord rut where everyone has forgotten or never learned how to use their instruments.

I don't mind Rap or Hip-Hop as long as it's well written and isn't the current club hit. I like Run DMC and the NWA, they at least had substance. They brought something to music that hadn't been seen before.

I enjoy Progressive Rock/Metal but I also enjoy bands like The Police.

I like a little something from each genre in Rock Band, but I'd have to say that I like the 60's-70's and the 90's the most.
    I agree with everything you say. I wish I was born in the 60s. Well maybe late 40s so that I could be old enough to witness the 60s.
    edited January 2008
    Jixzer;228187 said:
    Fair enough. :) Sorry for the rather caustic response earlier, I'm a bit of a cynic.
    No problem. I know that there are a lot of ignorant people on the internet to make you cynical.
    edited January 2008
    okay, I give up, it seems this thread is destined to diverge entirely from my intention and become yet another pointless My Favourite Decade vs. Your Favourite Decade thread. sigh. thanks for moving it, mods.

polish: "I think that the older generations' music is more fun to play in the game because it is more challenging instrumentally, wheras the newer generations' music is more basic. If you just look at the tiers in difficulty most of the hard songs are older and most of the really easy ones are newer. The newer generations' songs are pretty fun to sing though."

This is true in the game, but I think it's more a function of the music HMX selected than it is true more generally. There are many modern bands whose music is instrumentally complex. Try playing a Dillinger Escape Plan song, for instance, or check out Ted Leo and the Pharmacists' drummer (especially live). Again for drumming, The Dresden Dolls would be a good example. Not sure why HMX chose (as you said) mostly more simple modern songs and more complex older songs, though.
    edited January 2008
    AdamWill2;228328 said:
    okay, I give up, it seems this thread is destined to diverge entirely from my intention and become yet another pointless My Favourite Decade vs. Your Favourite Decade thread. sigh. thanks for moving it, mods.

polish: "I think that the older generations' music is more fun to play in the game because it is more challenging instrumentally, wheras the newer generations' music is more basic. If you just look at the tiers in difficulty most of the hard songs are older and most of the really easy ones are newer. The newer generations' songs are pretty fun to sing though."

This is true in the game, but I think it's more a function of the music HMX selected than it is true more generally. There are many modern bands whose music is instrumentally complex. Try playing a Dillinger Escape Plan song, for instance, or check out Ted Leo and the Pharmacists' drummer (especially live). Again for drumming, The Dresden Dolls would be a good example. Not sure why HMX chose (as you said) mostly more simple modern songs and more complex older songs, though.
    Yeah. I couldn't Imagine trying to play some of the metal that people suggest. I mean slayer in GH3 was really not fun at all and thats not even as fast as some as the stuff people are suggesting. Also the drumming would tire you out after like one song unless your a seasoned drummer. And growling vocals would kill a non-experienced singer. I think Harmonix is trying to stay away from super instrumentally complex songs and stick to songs that are just more fun to play. Which it happens to be that most bands today its either one way or the other.
  • TheBEAST205TheBEAST205 Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    I'm 16, and I am probably more of a 60/70's rock fanatic than most people here who are 20 years older than me.

That era is really the only era in which I like mainstream music. I think that after that it was and is indie music and more less known bands that are the best.

As far as current music, I hate almost all modern mainstream music. The large majority of bands now have no innovation and/or have band musicianship.