240 MS Point Songs, worth it?

seven11seven11 Opening Act
edited August 2010 in The Rock Band Network
I was looking to get the song they have out by Mayday Parade, and when I went to purchase it, it said the price was 240 microsoft points. I love this song, and I really want it, but I'm not sure if I want to spend that much money on just one song, especially since its a RBN song and not an official song done by HMX.

The only other song that is worth 240 ms points is Blow at High Dough by The Tragically Hip.

Why am I so unlucky that the one song out of the whole RBN catalogue I want is this one that costs 240 microsoft points? And do you all think a song is really worth that much? Sure its just a dollar, but still.... a dollar can also get me another song. So what do you guys think?

Comments

• NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    1) Watch the charts and 2) If you want it so bad, it's worth every penny of the $3.
  • MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    Apart from the frustration of this sort of thread coming up again and again (and again), I continue to wonder why and (in fact) *how* another person besides yourself can determine whether a song purchase (at any price) is "worth it" to *you*.

I could just as easily say "NO, it's NOT worth it" and tell you to buy three $1 songs by James William Roy, Scratching the Itch, You Shriek, Lightwires, Twintapes, Your Horrible Smile, Kingsize, etc.

All songs that I love and play, but I have no more clue as to whether they'd be more "worth it" to you than one that you've already expressed a great deal of interest for.

Perhaps put it this way: would you pay $.25 (like the good ol' video arcade days) to play the song just once? Then, do you see yourself still enjoying it after a dozen plays? If so, then you've broken even on your investment, and it's worth it.

- m
  • seven11seven11 Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    Sorry, I didn't mean to make another thread about this. I just recently got into the band, and it does look charted pretty well. Is there any reason they charge three dollars for it though? Thats what I'm really trying to ask.
  • MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    They like money? :)

(Or someone involved does: band, label, or author, or some combination.)

- m
  • A New Pyro FoolA New Pyro Fool Forum Comedian
    edited August 2010
    If it is a band/song that you LOVE, I see absolutely no reason why an extra dollar should prevent you from buying it.

Music > Money, right? :D
  • seven11seven11 Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    Markleford;3926240 said:
    They like money? :)

(Or someone involved does: band, label, or author, or some combination.)

- m
    Haha yea. :/

I think I'm just going to buy it. Hopefully if they put out more Mayday Parade songs, they won't be this high priced either.
  • xXPM5KXxxXPM5KXx Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    I dont believe its worth the risk. If too many people give in and buy $3 songs, then more and more might catch on and start making more songs $3. It doesnt seem worth it to have that potentially happen :( So Im waiting patiently to see if Mayday Parade eventually drops :)
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited August 2010
    I personally don't think charted songs are worth three dollars. With iTunes, songs you can only listen to, but are portable, at $1 I think RB songs are worth $2 even though they can only be played in Rock Band because of the extra work involved in making they playable in the game. $3 is a stretch for me... I will, however, never say I will never buy a $3 song. There may be a few out there that I "just gotta have" and will pay that much for a song.

What it comes down to is in your own personaly opinion, would it be worth it to you...
  • SteverXiiiSteverXiii Rising Star
    edited August 2010
    I always thought songs were overpriced at 160. 240 is ludacris I think.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    I wish I could get Blow at High Dough for $3. If it ever came over to PS3 RBN I'd buy it day one. I've even considered paying ~$40 ($20 for an Xbox360 copy of RB2 and $20 for a used Xbox 360 guitar peripheral) for the ability to play the small handful of songs that are on Xbox360 RBN that I want. But I hold offf in faint hope that with RB3 will come a proper deployment of RBN on PS3 and I can add those to my existing song library, rather than sequestered on a distinct system.
  • bmanincbmaninc Wetter of Fine Pants
    edited August 2010
    I don't think there should have even been an option for $3 songs. $1-2, thats it. That lies on the shoulders of the producers of RBN itself, Harmonix.

RB3 is not changing RBN on PS3. I highly doubt it anyways.
  • axelkotheaxelkothe Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    milkandcookies;3925888 said:
    I don't mind, if it's the only way we'll get the Tragically Hip.
    It's probably the reason why it flopped and we won't get any more TH.
  • Andyx1337Andyx1337 Rising Star
    edited August 2010
    axelkothe;3928646 said:
    It's probably the reason why it flopped and we won't get any more TH.
    It's on the Top Downloads.
  • xXPM5KXxxXPM5KXx Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    bmaninc;3928476 said:
    I don't think there should have even been an option for $3 songs. $1-2, thats it. That lies on the shoulders of the producers of RBN itself, Harmonix.

RB3 is not changing RBN on PS3. I highly doubt it anyways.
    Should have an option for $0 (yes free, some independent bands may just want the promotion), $.50, $1, $1.5 and $2. (40, 80, 120, 160 MSP)
  • Baanu_RassBaanu_Rass Headliner
    edited August 2010
    xXPM5KXx;3929594 said:
    Should have an option for $0 (yes free, some independent bands may just want the promotion), $.50, $1, $1.5 and $2. (40, 80, 120, 160 MSP)
    Yeah but MS wants money for hosting it on their service.

Why is Blow at High Dough $3? Only Hip song worth $3 is Killerwhaletank.

Personally, since HMX has capped songs at 10 minutes (AFAIK), nothing except very special songs will ever be worth $3.
  • axelkotheaxelkothe Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    Andyx1337;3929464 said:
    It's on the Top Downloads.
    It had a good week, but it is at less than 600 scores on keldons site since the release. Which is great for an unknown band, but pretty disappointing for an act like that.
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited August 2010
    Personally, I wouldn't get that Mayday Parade song even if it was just 1 dollar, again, personally.

All I can say is, if you really love the song, and you are satisfied by the charts you see on youtube, etc. then get it.

I haven't bought a 3 dollar song yet, but it would only be in the case for an absolute favorite of mine, plus a cost of respect for the band.
  • SamStoneSamStone Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    It's a new market, and people are still experimenting with the price. I think the $3 tracks are an experiment that failed, and you won't see too many more of them. But it's fine that some groups tried it.

I know we all want the cheapest tracks possible, but we also want some of our favorite bands in the game, and if they can't make a profit selling $1 songs, they won't bring their songs to Rock band and you'll have no choice at all. So it's a good thing that they are free to try whatever pricing options they wish. I just hope the Hip don't take the low response for their $3 song as a sign that there's no interest here in their music.

If I were making decisions for a popular band, I'd say, "Let's convert three of our songs to Rock Band. We'll try the first one at $3, the second one at $2, and the third one at $1.00. We'll see which one of them returns the most revenue."

Unfortunately, it looks to me like the economics of the RBN aren't working out so well. According to Keldon's site, there are only four songs in the RBN that have cracked 10,000 copies, and the majority of them have sold less than 1,000 copies. That may be fine for a garage band which is using the tools to do their own charting - if they sell a couple of hundred songs at a buck a pop, it's good beer money, and good advertising. But for a professional band that has to hire someone to chart for them, not so much.
    edited August 2010
    I can base something off what SamStone said.

As an obscure hip hop band, I like what Audible Mainframe has done with their two tracks, "Ice Cold" is $1, while "Anybody Else" is the typical $2.

Music scavengers (like me) are willing to purchase $1 songs from bands they don't know about but sound promising to their ears. If they fully liked the song, they would end up feeling more confident about this band, and purchase their $2 song. Means more revenue for the band than with 2 $1 songs, or maybe even 2 $2 songs.
  • TransbrakTransbrak Headliner
    edited August 2010
    If I know the song and like it then I don't mind spending 3 bucks.

However nothing so far has, except Atomic which apparently you can't buy anymore.
    edited August 2010
    Transbrak;3938783 said:

However nothing so far has, except Atomic which apparently you can't buy anymore.
    You still can, it's just not in the music store.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/offers/80000187-0000-4000-8000-000045410869
    edited August 2010
    FlyGuyLXI;3938791 said:
    Oh thanks I was looking for that the other day, I figured it got taken down.
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    It did technically get taken down, but for some reason those links still allow you to purchase it.
    edited August 2010
    Didn't it just get taken down for a technicality?

If so is there any reason I shouldn't buy it?
    edited August 2010
    Transbrak;3938863 said:

Buying non-store material is said to be risky, since there is a possibly the chart might be replaced and updated, and you'd have to repay it, etc.

I wouldn't really make a big deal about it normally, but it is a $3 risk.
    edited August 2010
    FlyGuyLXI;3938868 said:
    Buying non-store material is said to be risky, since there is a possibly the chart might be replaced and updated, and you'd have to repay it, etc.

I wouldn't really make a big deal about it normally, but it is a $3 risk.
    Yeah but it's been awhile, maybe the license got pulled or something. I would hate to wait and never get to play it.

I would suck if it got replaced and couldn't play it online though.
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    Transbrak;3938863 said:

I have "Atomic" and thought the charts were great - noticed no problems.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited August 2010
    Transbrak;3938878 said:
    I would suck if it got replaced and couldn't play it online though.
    You could still play it online, but only with people that purchased the same version as you.

Also, remember when 240 MSP songs were going to be the fall of the RBN? We've had...two?....actually go all the way to the store now. And things seem to be cruising along just fine.