Will RBN Songs work with RB2 AFTER RB3 is released?

JDossaryJDossary Unsigned
edited August 2010 in The Rock Band Network
I was just wondering if any of the RBN songs released AFTER RB3 will work with RB2. I already know that and DLC that is released after RB3 will not work with RB2. But i was wondering if this is not the case with RBN songs?

Comments

• Casto21Casto21 Rock and Roll Statistician
    edited August 2010
    As of now, I would think so. But if 'RBN 2.0' happens allowing the creation of songs with keys and/or harmonies then I suspect they will be like RB3 songs and not work.
  • KariodudeKariodude Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    RBN songs won't get the new RB3 features for a while, if at all. More than likely at the end of the year. Even then, it will be a couple of weeks before RBN songs released will have the new features. When that does happen though, no, RBN won't work in RB2 anymore.
  • JoshVanHalen87JoshVanHalen87 Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    they´re developing RBN 2.0 with all the features of RB3, at least thats what they said on the interview with rockbandaid.
  • MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    JoshVanHalen87;3931319 said:
    they´re developing RBN 2.0 with all the features of RB3, at least thats what they said on the interview with rockbandaid.
    I seriously didn't get any such guarantee out of reading that.

- m
  • RealMessiahRealMessiah Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    I would imagine we will be seeing very few one dollar songs and a lot more three dollar songs if the charters are going to start doing pro charts and keys in the future.
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    The bigger question is will current RBN song work in Pro Drums for Rock Band 3? (Meaning will they be playable like it's all toms or will they be grayed out.)
  • QuazifujiQuazifuji Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    NoThru22;3931469 said:
    The bigger question is will current RBN song work in Pro Drums for Rock Band 3? (Meaning will they be playable like it's all toms or will they be grayed out.)
    RBN authors have the ability to chart pro drums now, but it's optional and there's no way to test it. So early RBN songs will not support pro drums, more recent RBN songs might but may be incorrect if they do.
    edited August 2010
    You answered my question like you knew the answer for sure, but you don't.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited August 2010
    NoThru22;3931635 said:
    You answered my question like you knew the answer for sure, but you don't.
    He repeated what several RBN authors have said in previous forum posts. If that's not knowing the answer, I don't know what is.
  • S1ckH4ndsS1ckH4nds YouTube Guru
    edited August 2010
    No, I can pretty much confirm what Quazi is saying. We recently (as in, within the past month or so) were told how to author pro drums, so early content that does not have the corresponding notes in it will not be supported via pro drums mode. Only songs that were authored with those notes in place will be playable in that mode. And yeah, there's no way to test it at the moment with the current version of Audition Mode.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    Ultimately, the question about whether or not RB3 compatible content from RBN will work in RB2 is whether or not it will be in an unreadable format or stored in an 'unreadable' location.

People are saying that RB3 tracks are in a different format. I don't know how true that is, but I'll allow it for the sake of argument. However, RB2 tracks don't work in LEGO or RB1 and there is no real reason why they shouldn't. But they are stored in a different location than standard DLC and that leads me to believe that RB1 and LRB simply don't look in the RB2 folder for data.

It would be possible that RB3 compatible RBN songs might be stored in the RB3 directory (along with standard RB3 DLC) and this is why previous games might not read it.

Just a pet theory, however. Whatever the reason, it's fairly logical to presume that any future RBN songs with full RB3 support will probably not work within RB2 and older titles.
  • KariodudeKariodude Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    Santa Claustrophobia;3932138 said:
    People are saying that RB3 tracks are in a different format. I don't know how true that is, but I'll allow it for the sake of argument. However, RB2 tracks don't work in LEGO or RB1 and there is no real reason why they shouldn't. But they are stored in a different location than standard DLC and that leads me to believe that RB1 and LRB simply don't look in the RB2 folder for data.
    First off, it has nothing to do with where the songs are stored. It's all about the format of the files.

Second, RB2 tracks don't work in LEGO or RB1? Seriously? It's because they are still on the disc. When have we ever exported RB2 to our hard drives? After RB2 is exported, it will probably work in LEGO, but you shouldn't expect LEGO to read from a different disc that isn't in your console.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    Kariodude;3932217 said:
    First off, it has nothing to do with where the songs are stored. It's all about the format of the files.

Second, RB2 tracks don't work in LEGO or RB1? Seriously? It's because they are still on the disc. When have we ever exported RB2 to our hard drives? After RB2 is exported, it will probably work in LEGO, but you shouldn't expect LEGO to read from a different disc that isn't in your console.
    'First', I don't know anything about song file format data issues. Confirmed or otherwise. I clearly stated this and allowed that it might actually be true. I don't know how you know for certain that file format is the reason why and I also don't care.

I merely suggest it as a theory based only on personal observation that RBN songs are stored in the RB2 directory and not a single one of them work in any other game. RB2 sure as hell doesn't incorporate RBN tracks on its own, it needs player direction to use them.

'Second'. That was a typo. I intended to type RBN and in the middle of it all typed RB2 out of some kind of habit.

Take a pill. Relax. Calm down. Not everything is a personal affront to your sensibilities on the matter at hand.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited August 2010
    There are a few differences between RBN and standard DLC (no parts in tug-of-war where the players switch, the ability to rate songs, different sorting) that's just enough that it's not a simple matter of just telling the other games to play them. That's also why the Wii doesn't have a single song.

It was confirmed in an Official Xbox Magazine podcast that Rock Band 3 DLC will NOT work in old games, so it's safe to assume the same will apply to RBN 2.0 tracks.
  • MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    SirDavidTLynch;3932300 said:
    It was confirmed in an Official Xbox Magazine podcast that Rock Band 3 DLC will NOT work in old games, so it's safe to assume the same will apply to RBN 2.0 tracks.
    No, one *doesn't* naturally follow the other: that's faulty logic. It all depends on how HMX wants to implement it. Nothing is "safe" or guaranteed until we see what RBN 2.0 supports.

- m
    edited August 2010
    My question was: If you boot up Rock Band 3 and choose to play Pro Drums, will the existing RBN tracks be playable or will they be grayed out and unplayable like songs that don't have drum parts now. Not whether the songs would show cymbal gems.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited August 2010
    NoThru22;3933811 said:
    My question was: If you boot up Rock Band 3 and choose to play Pro Drums, will the existing RBN tracks be playable or will they be grayed out and unplayable like songs that don't have drum parts now. Not whether the songs would show cymbal gems.
    From what I've seen of the song select screen, odds are you'll select Drums/Pro Drums before you choose a song much in the same way you'd choose between guitar/bass or solo/harmonies, AFTER you choose a song. Thus, odds are Pro Drums won't even be an option on those songs.