Rhythm Authors - Official Thread

Comments

• NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    Please don't chart flams in drum rolls! It's obnoxious and unrealistic. I understand the concept behind a flam and I am all for charting them for single snare hits, but they ruin any sense of realism when you (and Harmonix) chart them during rolls. How can you be hitting two drum heads at once in a drum roll that goes across your toms? You don't.
  • weeyooweeyoo Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    Alright, this just may be what I'm hearing but you can correct me if I'm wrong---

(This is about the drum chart)

At around 4:00 in the preview video, that really fast red roll before that yellow+bass note, I only hear 3 fast red rolls. Its kinda hard to tell though since its fast. Also in that same section (The first "This is what we call a brain" section), I'm not sure if the bass gets continuously played or if there actually is breaks in between the other notes.

I was watching Blake Richardson's video of himself recording the song in the stuido and I'm basing some of these opinions off of that video.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong. I just figured I would pitch in my two cents since this is such a good song to have.

But other than that, from what I see in the preview this may possibly be the greatest song on Rock Band. It looks like alot of fun! :)
  • DekarTheDragoonDekarTheDragoon Opening Act
    edited September 2010
    NoThru22;4050678 said:
    Please don't chart flams in drum rolls! It's obnoxious and unrealistic. I understand the concept behind a flam and I am all for charting them for single snare hits, but they ruin any sense of realism when you (and Harmonix) chart them during rolls. How can you be hitting two drum heads at once in a drum roll that goes across your toms? You don't.
    Agreed with this x1000. And they aren't really any fun to play.
  • voodoo618voodoo618 Headliner
    edited September 2010
    Gah!

I was hoping to see Andromeda with this batch.

Damn!

Still, I've been waiting for Obfuscation for awhile now... :)
  • XenochriaXenochria Opening Act
    edited September 2010
    weeyoo;4050573 said:
    Do you mind if I state some mistakes that I see in the drum chart? I think you might realize after I point out the minor flaws in that chart that you will go back and kno what I'm talking about.
    I mean, honestly? Having the separated master tracks means that things are almost certainly going to be easier to work out mistakes than hearing the full mix, with all instruments, full speed, on an online video. I think anything wrong will have be ironed out by both the drum author from experience and having the masters available to listen to slowed down, and additionally, the QA team. It's very possible there are other mistakes in the chart, but I doubt it'd be anything you can hear in that video that wouldn't have already been picked up on.
    edited September 2010
    Xenochria;4052818 said:
    I mean, honestly? Having the separated master tracks means that things are almost certainly going to be easier to work out mistakes than hearing the full mix, with all instruments, full speed, on an online video. I think anything wrong will have be ironed out by both the drum author from experience and having the masters available to listen to slowed down, and additionally, the QA team. It's very possible there are other mistakes in the chart, but I doubt it'd be anything you can hear in that video that wouldn't have already been picked up on.
    Thats very true. I wont be upset if they dont make any changes to the chart, because it looks awesome the way it is. I was just stating what I thought was wrong, but I could be the one whos wrong in the end (which I probably am).

Your right, these authors have a way closer listen to the notes actually being played than any of us do since they have the technology to do so. Not one bit am I complaining, because I'm so stoked to finally get one of my favorite songs in the game. Its still gonna be fun as hell to play no matter what.
    edited September 2010
    Xenochria;4052818 said:
    That being said, various authors still make mistakes or questionable charting decisions (I'm not saying anything about anyone in specific.) I'm sure that most authors would be happy if anyone found a correctable mistake before a track was published.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, there's no reason to discourage people from offering polite feedback. If nothing else, I think it's good to point out when the sound of the final mix doesn't seem to match up with the chart, so that the authors can investigate it further, and if it is right but deceptive, then maybe they can tweak the volume of the mix a bit to emphasize the playable part so it becomes intuitive.
  • Nathaniel607Nathaniel607 Opening Act
    edited October 2010
    Awesome that we're getting Obfuscation! Too bad we can't get Swim to the Moon, Disease, Injury, Madness or Fossil Genera... stupid 10 minute limit.

I hope you don't release them in a neutured form, that would be awuful.

EDIT; well, you know, better than never-ever releasing them, but still pretty non-cool.
  • Rawker31Rawker31 Opening Act
    edited October 2010
    Maybe we can get Swim To The Moon as a 2 part song
  • Straight EdgeStraight Edge Opening Act
    edited October 2010
    omg i see you guys have a taproot song!!! please get Poem omgg i will forever be devoted to you guys make it happen and MORE BTBAM i have faith in you guys!!
  • D_Marc2005D_Marc2005 Unsigned
    edited October 2010
    Is it going to be possible to chart Expert+ once the new game is released or is it only Harmonix.

P.S.
    I've got a hell of a list I'm working on with some great untapped bands. A good percentage of which produce their own albums. If you get some free time, give it a look. RB3 (Bands Without Current DLC) Wishlist
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited October 2010
    Awesome to see Taproot getting on RBN!
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    D_Marc2005;4061667 said:
    Is it going to be possible to chart Expert+ once the new game is released or is it only Harmonix.
    Nobody's authoring Expert+ in RB3, not even Harmonix. Pro drums is just toms vs. cymbals.
  • D_Marc2005D_Marc2005 Unsigned
    edited October 2010
    FairwoodStudios;4061688 said:
    Nobody's authoring Expert+ in RB3, not even Harmonix. Pro drums is just toms vs. cymbals.
    So does that mean keys & pro guitar are going to be exclusive to the songs on the game disc?
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    D_Marc2005;4061718 said:
    So does that mean keys & pro guitar are going to be exclusive to the songs on the game disc?
    Nope. RBN authors will have access to pro drums and pro keys. (And normal keys.) We can't author pro guitar and bass, since those require a considerable amount of time and expertise, which just isn't feasible for RBN. (Many official RB3 DLC tracks won't even include pro guitar.)

That's just a matter of access, authoring any pro parts is not required for RBN.
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    Not the biggest Country fan here, but "High Class Trailer Trash" by Shelly Rastin feat. Randy Bachman is fun on everything!

Highly recommended :)
  • Rawker31Rawker31 Opening Act
    edited October 2010
    Are you guys planning to release some Born of Osiris songs once RBN 2.0 is released? They're one of my favorites from Sumerian Records, especially their first album!
  • th3dude13th3dude13 Unsigned
    edited October 2010
    Are you guys planning to release some Born of Osiris songs once RBN 2.0 is released? They're one of my favorites from Sumerian Records, especially their first album!
    Yes! I totally agree!
    edited October 2010
    Rythm Authors' home page doesnt say that Obfuscation is in Playtesting or Peer review any more...does this mean that its just waiting to be released or is it finished in playtesting and waiting to go into peer review?

The status on the song says "pending"
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited October 2010
    It probably just finished up it's first playtesting run. They are either making adjustments or about to put it up for peer review.
  • XenigmaXenigma Opening Act
    edited October 2010
    It just finished a playtest run, and there's a good chance it'll go to playtest again as is typical for RBN.

Suffice to say testers are working to make sure it's perfect. A song this epic deserves to be as great as possible.
  • Thom1234Thom1234 Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    Xenigma;4071019 said:
    It just finished a playtest run, and there's a good chance it'll go to playtest again as is typical for RBN.

Suffice to say testers are working to make sure it's perfect. A song this epic deserves to be as great as possible.
    Just like the playtesters worked to make sure Mordecai was perfect before it got released...
  • decyferdownrocksdecyferdownrocks Opening Act
    edited October 2010
    Taproot, woohoo. I'm getting that for sure.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited October 2010
    Thom1234;4071041 said:
    Just like the playtesters worked to make sure Mordecai was perfect before it got released...
    Mordecai was authored by a completely different company; RockGamer, not RA. So, that's kinda irrelevant.
  • Thom1234Thom1234 Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    davidshek;4071173 said:
    Mordecai was authored by a completely different company; RockGamer, not RA. So, that's kinda irrelevant.
    Playtesters =/= Authoring Comapanies.
  • XenigmaXenigma Opening Act
    edited October 2010
    Not to mention Mordecai is back from when people were far less experienced with the whole process. I don't think there's any reason to worry about Obfuscation's quality.

(I still think any problems with Mordecai are greatly exaggerated, though. Love that song, and love playing it on Rock Band.)
    edited October 2010
    Tracks are pending because they are updating XNA according to Fairwood.
    edited October 2010
    Rythm Authors should make a Youtube account, something like Rock Gamer does. Its a good way to let more people preview their songs and its an awesome way to advertise their songs. It would also let people know what songs they've got coming in the future, with preview videos.